*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/20/18 ***

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I guarantee there was...though I'm sure we'll never know what it was.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wonder if there was a different set list made before the rain delay. 
    No someone beside me had the set from earlier in the day and it was the same that they played minus the scratches. 

Here is a vid of us nutbars running back into the pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZM6FyVxmJo
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was thinking the same thing, but I bet they planned on the rain/weather impacting the show all day long so that setlist is what they decided on to beat the weather either way.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No someone beside me had the set from earlier in the day and it was the same that they played minus the scratches. 

Here is a vid of us nutbars running back into the pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZM6FyVxmJo
    I see you Jeff!!! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Did anyone else beside me mistake the beginning drums of in my tree for who you are?
    i know some people are tired of them but porch and rvm in a single show is mind blowing. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    What a night. Thank you to Pearl Jam and all the fans. This was my 10th show. Very special. I took my middle daughter because she didn't get to hear black on Saturday and the wife couldn't go. I'm not going to speculate what might have happened with Stone and Ed. Didn't really notice 
    I was chasing and wanted to hear It's ok tag. What a tag it was. I'm not sure why but that tag brings out so many emotions for me. It definitely brought out tons of emotions last night. 
    Im not sure what I would do if there were severe storms like last night. The band was a class act and put on a great shortened show with lots of energy and fire. 
    Of course like in 2013 the delay sucked but not as bad as then. My daughter and I found a spot with some air and cover so we stayed dry and got thru it. I'm not sure why people walk around during a delay like that. Unless they are pissing or getting a beer where are they going. The concourse and other areas were crammed and trying to walk thru was no bueno. 
    Opening with GTF was needed after delay. 
    Black was tight and had some passion.
    surprised release wasn't played at all in Chicago but it has been played enough. When the light came on and band went into baba it seemed to get crazy like Saturday in a good way. We need that crazy energy sometimes. 
    Just grateful to be a part of musical history with this band. 
    Drop the leash gave my daughter something new to say to her mom. It was a great version with lots of energy. 
    I could go on and on but if you've ever been to a show you know if it's PJ it's a damn good show. 
    This is Not For You
  • cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did anyone else beside me mistake the beginning drums of in my tree for who you are?

Even Jeff gets them mixed up. When they played the No Code album in full Jeff started playing the bass line to In My Tree during the drum intro to Who You Are. Ed had to stop him lol. In My Tree was the next song, oops.
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    mcgruff10 said:

i know some people are tired of them but porch and rvm in a single show is mind blowing. 

I agree, and thought the same thing after I saw both at Seattle 2.  I never get tired of seeing either of those two songs live.

• 8bitj8bitj Posts: 98
    The show was incredible. I definitely had a way worse spot in the GA section post-rain delay, so that sucked. The band was noticeably sloppy at many places, but the setlist and energy really made up for anything. And I didn't sense any Stone-Ed tension at all, but there was a REALLY weird moment during Patriot when Ed did "I ain't no communist..." and turned and stared at Jeff for an uncomfortably long time... and then repeated the line. My thought in the moment was (and remains) some lingering frustrations about the fallout from that poster. But maybe I was reading too much into it.

A seriously amazing night.
  • Chasing FootstepsChasing Footsteps Posts: 315
    edited August 2018
    Mind blown! The energy was amazing last night.

This was #25 for me and it has to rank near the top.

Highlights for me:

- First of all, being able to meet up and hang out with life-long buddies which I don’t get to see nearly enough.

- Wrigleyville packed with PJ - fans, music, even Let’s Play Two on a big screen. Wrigleyville when PJ is around feels really special.

- Sluggers before the show. An establishment full of excited PJ fans is a blast! 

- Seeing Mike walk out of his hotel before the show. We ran into him by a complete coincidence. Unreal!

- GTF (did they really open with this) through Baba. Loved every second of the show. 

PJ, thanks for leaving such a positive impression on my life!

oh, to the dad rocking out with his daughter in section L - that was awesome!!! I did not get the chance to speak with you as I was a couple of rows in front of you but you and your princess were rocking out! Great stuff!

Post edited by Chasing Footsteps on
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • unikunkaunikunka Posts: 87
    I was kidding before but I was two deep right between Stone and Ed and it was fun to see their interaction. 

Ed snapped at Stone when Stone started playing DTE but Ed wanted to talk.  That wasn't a big deal.   It did look like Ed was surprised when they started Daughter (set had Gonna See My Friend but scratched) but since everyone else had their Daughter gear maybe that was Ed not knowing what was next. 

The biggest "beef" was after Smile.  Again there was confusion cause they didn't go offstage and they had a "mound meeting".  They played Smile then it looked like Stone didn't know what they were playing -- he didn't have a guitar and Ed was like "Goat then Leash" and sorta playfully pushed him to go get a guitar and Stone had the "don't yell at me you didn't tell me what was going on" look.  

I guarantee you it was nothing but after that except for the jam part Stone looked like he was done -- hence the quick exit and not being part of the team photo which is more funny than anything.  To be fair Boom missed it too. 

• unikunkaunikunka Posts: 87
    unikunka said:
    I was kidding before but I was two deep right between Stone and Ed and it was fun to see their interaction. 

Ed snapped at Stone when Stone started playing DTE but Ed wanted to talk.  That wasn't a big deal.   It did look like Ed was surprised when they started Daughter (set had Gonna See My Friend but scratched) but since everyone else had their Daughter gear maybe that was Ed not knowing what was next. 

The biggest "beef" was after Smile.  Again there was confusion cause they didn't go offstage and they had a "mound meeting".  They played Smile then it looked like Stone didn't know what they were playing -- he didn't have a guitar and Ed was like "Goat then Leash" and sorta playfully pushed him to go get a guitar and Stone had the "don't yell at me you didn't tell me what was going on" look.  

I guarantee you it was nothing but after that except for the jam part Stone looked like he was done -- hence the quick exit and not being part of the team photo which is more funny than anything.  To be fair Boom missed it too. 

Also Ed just wanted to sing RVM and after first verse yelled "Stone!" to tell Stone he should take the lead riff (which he did after stomping a pedal).  Ed then didn't play the chorus or second verse and only came back for the jam and ending. 
  • DPAttyDPAtty Posts: 58
    shmap said:
    What a show! #33 for me and #23 for my mom. I predicted that if there was a rain delay they’d go high-intensity for the first 5-6 songs, and my god did they deliver. It’s OK, Smile -> Goat -> Leash, UGH. So good. 

Great crowd around us in Section L. Special mention to the kiddo with the Leash sign, and the dad-daughter combo right in front of us. She was maybe 10-11, knew most of the words, danced and played air guitar all night. I saw my first PJ show with my mom when I was 14, and it’s great to see this younger generation keeping it going.
    Show #3 and he's already a savvy vet, trolling Ed from Saturday's show. We tried four different days to get a train poster, to no avail, but he's got this one as a consolation prize. Thanks to all of you around us in Section L who made him feel special all night, especially when they actually played Leash. I love this band, and I love the family of people I meet at every show. My apologies if we bothered anyone holding the sign aloft.  Thanks to 10C for the seats. As for the show itself...it was smokin' with a consistent energy, unlike Saturday that seemed to be up and down. Hearing U and Come Back were highlights, and Daughter + tag was one of my all time favorite versions. And like always happens for me, I have new mental associations with old songs since the last time I could be at a show. So songs like Smile, GTF, Black, Immortality, and Lightning Bolt held new meaning, with a different listening experience. I'm driving home today, with little man sound asleep, so thankful that I still have the chance to see these guys at the peak of their musical powers, almost 20 years to the date from my first show, and to pass along my passion to my son in real time.

"But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men, well, fuckers, he still stands!"
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead..."
    "'You're still alive,' she said.  Oh, and do I deserve to be?  Is that the question?  And if so...if so...who answers?...who answers?" 
    "I believe, and I believe 'cuz I can see our future days. Days of you and me."

1998.08.26 Cleveland/Cuyahoga Falls; 2000.10.14 Houston; 2000.10.15 Houston; 2003.04.06 Houston;
    2004.10.02 Toledo; 2006.05.20 Cleveland; 2006.05.22 Auburn Hills; 2010.05.06 Columbus;
    2010.05.09 Cleveland; 2014.10.01 Cincinnati; 2016.04.26 Lexington; 2018.08.18 Chicago N1;
    2018.08.18 Chicago N2; 2022.09.08 Toronto; 2022.09.22 Denver; 2023.09.10 Noblesville, IN
  • DPAtty said:
    shmap said:
    What a show! #33 for me and #23 for my mom. I predicted that if there was a rain delay they’d go high-intensity for the first 5-6 songs, and my god did they deliver. It’s OK, Smile -> Goat -> Leash, UGH. So good. 

Great crowd around us in Section L. Special mention to the kiddo with the Leash sign, and the dad-daughter combo right in front of us. She was maybe 10-11, knew most of the words, danced and played air guitar all night. I saw my first PJ show with my mom when I was 14, and it’s great to see this younger generation keeping it going.
    Show #3 and he's already a savvy vet, trolling Ed from Saturday's show. We tried four different days to get a train poster, to no avail, but he's got this one as a consolation prize. Thanks to all of you around us in Section L who made him feel special all night, especially when they actually played Leash. I love this band, and I love the family of people I meet at every show. My apologies if we bothered anyone holding the sign aloft.  Thanks to 10C for the seats. As for the show itself...it was smokin' with a consistent energy, unlike Saturday that seemed to be up and down. Hearing U and Come Back were highlights, and Daughter + tag was one of my all time favorite versions. And like always happens for me, I have new mental associations with old songs since the last time I could be at a show. So songs like Smile, GTF, Black, Immortality, and Lightning Bolt held new meaning, with a different listening experience. I'm driving home today, with little man sound asleep, so thankful that I still have the chance to see these guys at the peak of their musical powers, almost 20 years to the date from my first show, and to pass along my passion to my son in real time.

Dude, you guys were awesome! I was sitting next to you (well, there was one guy between us), I was wearing a red shirt. Thank you and your little guy for adding to my awesome night!
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was streaming the show and thought the same thing. Took me about 5 seconds to figure out it was In My Tree and not Who You Are. Then I was like, damn!
  • Stone absolutely killed Throw Your Hatred Down. flames were literally coming off his hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZgjn65_Xw 
  • smellmysocks73smellmysocks73 Posts: 8
    edited August 2018
    Great show...the combination of Night 1 and Night 2 made for an amazing experience.  Met lots of fantastic fellow PJ fans that made it that much more enjoyable.  The icing on the cake was catching the baseball that Ed threw out into the GA Pit last night.
    Post edited by smellmysocks73 on
  • What a night. Thank you to Pearl Jam and all the fans. This was my 10th show. Very special. I took my middle daughter because she didn't get to hear black on Saturday and the wife couldn't go. I'm not going to speculate what might have happened with Stone and Ed. Didn't really notice 
    I was chasing and wanted to hear It's ok tag. What a tag it was. I'm not sure why but that tag brings out so many emotions for me. It definitely brought out tons of emotions last night. 
    Im not sure what I would do if there were severe storms like last night. The band was a class act and put on a great shortened show with lots of energy and fire. 
    Of course like in 2013 the delay sucked but not as bad as then. My daughter and I found a spot with some air and cover so we stayed dry and got thru it. I'm not sure why people walk around during a delay like that. Unless they are pissing or getting a beer where are they going. The concourse and other areas were crammed and trying to walk thru was no bueno. 
    Opening with GTF was needed after delay. 
    Black was tight and had some passion.
    surprised release wasn't played at all in Chicago but it has been played enough. When the light came on and band went into baba it seemed to get crazy like Saturday in a good way. We need that crazy energy sometimes. 
    Just grateful to be a part of musical history with this band. 
    Drop the leash gave my daughter something new to say to her mom. It was a great version with lots of energy. 
    I could go on and on but if you've ever been to a show you know if it's PJ it's a damn good show. 
    I agree regarding the walking around during the delay. My friend and I had to take a major piss so we were trying, ever so politely, to make our way to the restroom. We were GA Pit, about 10 rows back from Mike before the delay, so we knew/understood we wouldn't be getting our spot back once we starting walking. At any rate, that video of the GA pit filling up after the delay is insane...people jumping the barriers and whatnot. I saw so many people around me w/o wristbands. Oh well, such is life.

I can't say anymore than what's already been said. The band was on fire from the get go and didn't take their foot off the accelerator until midnight. Like a fellow poster stated, they packed a 3+ hour performance into 2 1/2 hours...AWESOME SHOW!!

Here's a pic of the shit show that was the Wrigley Field corridor(s) during the delay:

07/28/1992 - Cincinnati
    07/11/1998 - Las Vegas
    07/22/2006 - The Gorge
    04/26/2016 - Lexington
    08/08/2018 - Seattle
    08/10/2018 - Seattle
    08/20/2018 - Wrigley Field
    04/02/2020 - Nashville
    09/16/2022 - Nashville
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Great show...the combination of Night 1 and Night 2 made for an amazing experience.  Met lots of fantastic fellow PJ fans that made it that much more enjoyable.  The icing on the cake was catching the baseball that Ed threw out into the GA Pit last night.
    I may have been right by you. I think he threw a couple baseballs but the one he threw right in front of him center stage was within my reach. Just didn’t snag it (need to work on my rebounding skills lol). Anyway, I’m curious what’s on the baseball. Any logo? Signed? Just a regular ball? Congrats on snagging it! That’s an awesome souvenir. 
  • jnikojniko Posts: 292
    Does anyone have a pic of the setlist
  • arnhem1976arnhem1976 Posts: 647
    Maybe Stone was pissed because he didn’t get the Steve Thomas poster after standing in the line for 3 hours!!
  • 8bitj said:
    The show was incredible. I definitely had a way worse spot in the GA section post-rain delay, so that sucked. The band was noticeably sloppy at many places, but the setlist and energy really made up for anything. And I didn't sense any Stone-Ed tension at all, but there was a REALLY weird moment during Patriot when Ed did "I ain't no communist..." and turned and stared at Jeff for an uncomfortably long time... and then repeated the line. My thought in the moment was (and remains) some lingering frustrations about the fallout from that poster. But maybe I was reading too much into it.

That was because either Ed or Jeff fucked that part up. I’d have to listen to it again but ed probably went into the bridge a measure early but was able to recover a second later. 
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    8bitj said:

Another poster mentioned that Jeff may have made a mistake during that part of the song, which makes way more sense. Ed isn’t scared of controversy, nor would he be persistently upset about fallout from a poster Jeff made that mirrors the sentiment Ed talks about on stage. 

Aside from that, hope you had good time at the show! Looks like a gem :)
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    edited August 2018

That was really crazy fun 

Post edited by trees on

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    JH6056 said:
    mrnoth said:
    I think Ed skipped a verse on Patriot?

Didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary until the end of the night when Stone left the stage before everyone and they all posed for photos without him.
    I hope this doesn't turn into Baltimore again.  Lots of people speculating that Jeff was mad at Ed, etc, all because Ed forgot to mention his name and Jeff bolted off the stage at the end. Turned out to be absolutely nothing but people all gotta throw their "I thinks" in.

With all due respect, on exactly what do you base your conclusion that that situation "turned out to be absolutely nothing"??

By Baltimore I was at my 54th ish show, most of them from very close to right in front, and there was NO question that something was up and there was serious heat AND shade being thrown from Jeff to Ed that night, no doubt for a very real reason.  Everyone around me was like "Whoa, what's going on between them??!".

Now, basically at this point those guys are probably just as much family to each other as their own families, and sometimes siblings get into it, so I don't think anyone thought it was the end of the world or the band was about to break up.  But the tension was unmistakable.

Was it all better by Charlottesville?  Certainly seemed so.  But in Baltimore there was a LOT of heat there (possibly from before Ed forgot to introduce Jeff) and if you saw the way Jeff exited the stage at the end, I don't know how you could think nothing was wrong.

So I'm very curious, on what do you base your statement that "it turned out to be absolutely nothing"?  According to who or what?
    On the fact that, as far as we're all concerned, it turned out to be absolutely nothing. 
  • DPAttyDPAtty Posts: 58
    DPAtty said:
    shmap said:

Dude, you guys were awesome! I was sitting next to you (well, there was one guy between us), I was wearing a red shirt. Thank you and your little guy for adding to my awesome night!
    Great to meet you, and thanks so much for helping to make it a memorable night for him (and me)!
    "But first he was stripped and then he was stabbed by faceless men, well, fuckers, he still stands!"
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead..."
    "'You're still alive,' she said.  Oh, and do I deserve to be?  Is that the question?  And if so...if so...who answers?...who answers?" 
    "I believe, and I believe 'cuz I can see our future days. Days of you and me."

1998.08.26 Cleveland/Cuyahoga Falls; 2000.10.14 Houston; 2000.10.15 Houston; 2003.04.06 Houston;
    2004.10.02 Toledo; 2006.05.20 Cleveland; 2006.05.22 Auburn Hills; 2010.05.06 Columbus;
    2010.05.09 Cleveland; 2014.10.01 Cincinnati; 2016.04.26 Lexington; 2018.08.18 Chicago N1;
    2018.08.18 Chicago N2; 2022.09.08 Toronto; 2022.09.22 Denver; 2023.09.10 Noblesville, IN
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    DPAtty said:
    shmap said:

Ha! I was the guy in the floppy hat in front of you. Kudos!
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Pearl Jam not touring from April to October so Eddie can smoke pot and work the Wrigley scoreboard...thats why Stone is pissed...mystery solved
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Pearl Jam not touring from April to October so Eddie can smoke pot and work the Wrigley scoreboard...thats why Stone is pissed...mystery solved
    Very true.  You know the man wants to rock his new dockers in front of a crowd