Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    PJ_Soul said:
    Canadian tour announced. Based on your review, Alli, I'm not sure about this one. But some have said even the new album translates better live than it does on record. So maybe.....
    I'd still go if I were you!
    well I just got headstones tickets comped by the band, so I can sell my tickets, and maybe buy JW. 
    I thought the Headstones was your BAND?!?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJ_Soul said:
    Canadian tour announced. Based on your review, Alli, I'm not sure about this one. But some have said even the new album translates better live than it does on record. So maybe.....

Here was the setlist from Vancouver. I think that's a pretty great setlist (show was around 2 hours long, though hard to really say because nobody could access their phones - I most missed not knowing what time it was! ... but maybe you can see why the casual fans weren't exactly transported to another world by it, lol. They really only got excited when they started playing Seven Nation Army. :lol:

1. Over and Over and Over
    2. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (White Stripes)
    3. Corporation
    4. Cannon (White Stripes)
    5. I'm a Man (Muddy Waters)
    6. Freedom at 21
    7. Hotel Yorba (White Stripes)
    8. Lazaretto
    9. Humoresque
    10. Love Interruption
    11. Respect Commander
    12. I Cut Like a Buffalo (Dead Weather)
    13. You Don't Know What Love Is (White Stripes)
    14. The Same Boy You've Always Known (White Stripes)
    15. High Ball Stepper
    Encore
    11. Icky Thump (White Stripes)
    12. Ice Station Zebra
    13. Connected by Love
    14, Seven Nation Army (White Stripes)

Good show!  I saw him back to back in DC and he only repeated 7 nation and Yorba (other than a few new songs, but not all).  And with Yorba, he played it on the acoustic one night and the barrel piano the next, so it felt very different!  I had no complaints at all.  
    Too bad you didn't get You've Got Her In Your Pocket...  he sings that with just a little guitar and it is so beautiful.  I'm sad it isn't on the new Vault.  
  • Going tonight, can’t wait. 
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    well I just got headstones tickets comped by the band, so I can sell my tickets, and maybe buy JW. 
    LMAO, no. they are one of my favourte bands. My screen name is the lead singer. that's where it ends. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    LMAO, no. they are one of my favourte bands. My screen name is the lead singer. that's where it ends. 
    How did you get tix comped by the Headstones?? Are you friends with them or something? (Tempo, I think what he's saying is that he bought tix, then got free ones, so he sell the ones he bought and go to JW instead. Right? Not that he's missing the Headstones for JW)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    How did you get tix comped by the Headstones?? Are you friends with them or something? (Tempo, I think what he's saying is that he bought tix, then got free ones, so he sell the ones he bought and go to JW instead. Right? Not that he's missing the Headstones for JW)
    friends? no. i kind of stalk them on twitter. lol. and they are sometimes nice to me. but in this situation, another guy i'm friends with was in a popular band in the 2000's. he has opened for them, and i guess he's friends with tim white, the bassist. he asked him if he had anyone he thought should be on the guest list, so my buddy told him to put me and my wife on it. 

and yes, you are right. i'm trying to justify spending the money on jw. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    friends? no. i kind of stalk them on twitter. lol. and they are sometimes nice to me. but in this situation, another guy i'm friends with was in a popular band in the 2000's. he has opened for them, and i guess he's friends with tim white, the bassist. he asked him if he had anyone he thought should be on the guest list, so my buddy told him to put me and my wife on it. 

and yes, you are right. i'm trying to justify spending the money on jw. 
    Sweet. I was really impressed by the Headstones when I saw them recently. I'd go see them again.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Incredible show last night in San Francisco. I really did enjoy the no phone show, it was nice to see the darkness of the crowd instead of the glow of screens. Met a lot of cool people from all over the place because people were actually having conversations with the people around them before the show & in between sets. Jack played with so much energy and the crowd was really into it. The whole band sounded great & I was mesmerized by his drummer, she rocked. If you have a chance to see him i recommend going. I was able to score a pretty cool poster by DKNG studios. 

Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    edited August 2018
    Yes, his drummer is bad ass! I was really impressed by her too, and it's always nice to see an awesome female musician up there on the stage for a male-lead band - it is so sadly rare.
    Her name is Carla Azar. She also played drums for all of Jack's solo albums. I'm not sure why it too him so long to actually take her on tour. It may have been her choice - she's got her own band as well.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, his drummer is bad ass! I was really impressed by her too, and it's always nice to see an awesome female musician up there on the stage for a male-lead band - it is so sadly rare.
    Her name is Carla Azar. She also played drums for all of Jack's solo albums. I'm not sure why it too him so long to actually take her on tour. It may have been her choice - she's got her own band as well.
    do you like Pack A.D.? two piece female band that sound a lot like the white stripes. this is going to be their last tour apparently. go see em. I'm taking my daughter to her first all-female rock band show! i hope it inspires her more than the aqua show my wife is taking her (and our other daughter) to! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    PJ_Soul said:
    Carla played drums on Jack's Blunderbuss tour, as part of the all-female "Peacocks" band, when Jack was rotating between all-male ("Buzzards") and all-female bands on a nightly basis.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh you have other tix then, I knew you dug the shit out of em so I thought it was weird that you were getting rid of some.

Go see Jack...
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh you have other tix then, I knew you dug the shit out of em so I thought it was weird that you were getting rid of some.

Go see Jack...
    oh I thought you meant you thought it was MY band, as in I was IN the band! LOL. I am waffling. Floor GA is still available after 4 hours. $100 though. But I'm considering. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

alright. I'm going.  you fuckers better be right. *old man shaking fist in air to no one in particular*
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

alright. I'm going.  you fuckers better be right. *old man shaking fist in air to no one in particular*
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Went to the Phoenix show tonight. A little shorter set than he has been playing, but MY GOD what a show! Worth every damn penny I paid. Everyone should have the experience of being in a room with 5,000 other people when Jack is playing Seven Nation Army. The room was beyond electric. All the new stuff sounded great. All the time of stuff was played with a fury. (And I gotta say, I absolutely love the no phone policy). Gonna take me a while to wind down from this one!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Dr. JDr. J Posts: 75
    PJ_Soul said:
    GM17961 said:
    Horos said:
    GM17961 said:
    Anyone that got the vault know if there was supposed to be a download code for the album included?
    I don't think they ever do.
    I thought they did with Lazaretto.  Kind of sucks to spend $60 on an album and not get a download.
    No, they never offer a download code with the Vault. I understand why. It's not like it's hard to find a free download anyhow (I'm sure plenty of folks will be happy to give you their code from the regular version). Or just stream it.
    I am positive a download code came with Lazaretto.  I have a digital copy and the only way I got it was from the Vault vinyl.  Other non-JW vaults definitely don't come with download codes, though.  The regular release vinyl came with a download code, so not getting one in the Vault release kind of sucks. 

CD copies were sent to every ticket purchase for his NA shows.  If anyone wants to part with an extra CD copy or has an unused download code to spare it would be very much appreciated!
    Dr. J said: 
    PJ_Soul said:
    GM17961 said:
    Horos said:
    GM17961 said:
    Anyone that got the vault know if there was supposed to be a download code for the album included?
    I thought they did with Lazaretto.  Kind of sucks to spend $60 on an album and not get a download.
    No, they never offer a download code with the Vault. I understand why. It's not like it's hard to find a free download anyhow (I'm sure plenty of folks will be happy to give you their code from the regular version). Or just stream it.
    I am positive a download code came with Lazaretto.  I have a digital copy and the only way I got it was from the Vault vinyl.  Other non-JW vaults definitely don't come with download codes, though.  The regular release vinyl came with a download code, so not getting one in the Vault release kind of sucks. 

CD copies were sent to every ticket purchase for his NA shows.  If anyone wants to part with an extra CD copy or has an unused download code to spare it would be very much appreciated!
    I think,  for most of the vaults,  they are never released in digital at all. I think,  rightly,  that they would think it would devalue the vinyl vault.  The ones that have been available are ones that actually sold as a digital format and or CD. I might be wrong,  but believe i'm right. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Dr. J said: 
    PJ_Soul said:
    GM17961 said:
    Horos said:
    GM17961 said:

I think,  for most of the vaults,  they are never released in digital at all. I think,  rightly,  that they would think it would devalue the vinyl vault.  The ones that have been available are ones that actually sold as a digital format and or CD. I might be wrong,  but believe i'm right. 
    every vault I have bought I've had to rip from vinyl to mp3 myself. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Dr. J said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    GM17961 said:
    Horos said:
    GM17961 said:

That's true - that one particular vault came with a download. They normally don't though.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Should this be shipping soon or am I off a month?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I think they stated mid September.  Seems a little bit longer of a wait then other vaults.
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 319
    edited September 2018
    Post edited by DE4173 on
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
    DE4173 said:
    DE4173 said:
    I'm curious what the live EP through Amazon will be?  Maybe just a few mp3's, or a vinyl release?
    It looks like six mp3's for $5.94 on Amazon
    1996; 9/28 New York
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I'm wondering if this will be a physical Vault release since the documentary and mp3's are Amazon exclusives. Holding out hope for a Bluray!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    1996; 9/28 New York
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    JK_Livin said:
    Should this be shipping soon or am I off a month?
    Ben Blackwell stated on the Vault chat yesterday that the last of the components for this package had just arrived to TMR earlier this week so they should start putting them together and shipping soon.
    edited September 2018
    Yay, I just got my shipping notification for Vault #37. :) .... Will Canada Post workers strike before it gets here? (or at all?)... I hope not!! I actually have a few packages due to ship in coming days, so this strike threat worries me, even though I get it - I support strikes to further workers' rights... And I think Canada Post is great. I have no clue what some people are bitching about when it comes to their services, outside of community mailboxes. I think as parcel carriers Canada Post is better than everyone else.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on