Radiohead

Comments

• jessebasijessebasi Toronto Posts: 149
    Got Cleveland and Detroit tickets. Surprisingly easy this morning.
    2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Neither I nor the wife were able to get tickets for L.A.

Not too bothered since we already saw the show last year in November.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    I was so blown away by the show, I don't think I mentioned that Philly 1 I was within view of Tim Reynolds (TR3 and Dave Matthews Band member), and Lars Ulrich of Metallica.  It was BEYOND cool to not only be so totally caught up in the moment of a band and live show that was phenomenal, but to also look around and within a couple of rows of me see 2 musicians I have tons of respect for also rocking out in their ways (like, literally sometimes, or just subtlely jamming others).

Watching Lars Ulrich air-drum to Phil Selway's drumming will be a fan experience I will not forget for a long while!

Many kids of band members were also in front of us.  At the end of Night 2, before most of the band was even off the stage, Colin Greenwood ran off the stage and into the audience and swooped up a child who I assume was his son, cute young kid, and carried him backstage while the rest of the band was still leaving.  It was a very sweet moment.
    Lars was at the Thom Yorke solo show in Oakland in December, too. He must be a big fan.

Lars was actually at the last 4 on this 2018 tour (both Boston and both Philly), so yeah, I'd say a giant fan!
  • cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    Get_Right said:
    These shows were really memorable.  I have not been able to stop listening to Radiohead. Man they sounded fantastic on this tour.
  • cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    You guys have caused me to go on a Radiohead binge with this thread.  I have put them on the back burner for a few years.  Every time they get put on the front burner, I listening to them over and over. 

In Rainbows is so addictive.    
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I decided the other day that it's time for me to 'rediscover' Radiohead. Apart from a few old favourites here and there, it's been a long time since I've really listened to them. Like many I was a big fan of The Bends and OK Computer, and I saw them live a bunch of times in the 90s, but I pretty much zoned out after Amnesiac.

The first time I saw them they were supporting James in December 93 in Newport (South Wales) on their 'Laid' tour. I wasn't a big fan of Pablo Honey, but we got in early to get a good spot for James. I remember they opened with The Bends, which was weird because nobody there had really heard it before. It was a pretty good set, but I don't remember much else about it (James were amazing, by the way!)
    The most memorable show for me was in Cardiff in 97, on the OKC tour. Teenage Fanclub and DJ Shadow were supporting them. When TF finished their set, Shadow started almost straight away - he had set up behind us in the mixing desk area so everyone had to turn around to see him. This meant that Radiohead were ready to go as soon as Shadow finished so there wasn't really any break between bands.

I still picked up their new albums when they came out, more in the hope that I would still like them than anything else, but I just couldn't get into them. I don't think I've ever even heard King Of Limbs (my copy was still sealed when I dug it out at the weekend), and I think I only played Moon Shaped Pool once. Not sure how I'll go with listening to the albums back to back - wish me luck!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Aside from The King of Limbs, I think their catalog is fantastic. Their music grew along with them (and me) and I've enjoyed being a fan of them for about 25 years now. I hope you enjoy your listening experience!

Hate to bring this up but RH is nominated for the R&R Hall of Fame again. I shouldn't care but it was a complete joke that they didn't get inducted last year. This is compounded by me being so happy for PJ the year before getting in on their first try - in other words, this "institution" has no consistent logic!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rummy said:
    Aside from The King of Limbs, I think their catalog is fantastic. Their music grew along with them (and me) and I've enjoyed being a fan of them for about 25 years now. I hope you enjoy your listening experience!

Hate to bring this up but RH is nominated for the R&R Hall of Fame again. I shouldn't care but it was a complete joke that they didn't get inducted last year. This is compounded by me being so happy for PJ the year before getting in on their first try - in other words, this "institution" has no consistent logic!
    They should have made it in the first time - I also don't really care, but I guess one should still expect the truly obvious ones to make it in the first time around... but then it didn't happen. I'm not even saying that with a fan bias. It seemed like a very clear choice objectively, but nope. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,139
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:

They should have made it in the first time - I also don't really care, but I guess one should still expect the truly obvious ones to make it in the first time around... but then it didn't happen. I'm not even saying that with a fan bias. It seemed like a very clear choice objectively, but nope. 
    Radiohead has not been overlooked they will not be eligible for the RRHOF unitl 2019, Pablo Honey was released in 1993

Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Hawkshore said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:

Radiohead has not been overlooked they will not be eligible for the RRHOF unitl 2019, Pablo Honey was released in 1993

They were included in the 2018 nominations, but didn't get in. I guess they must have included the Drill EP, which was released in 1992
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Weren’t they actually eligible last year but they said it should go to LL Cool J or something instead of them?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited October 2018
    They said they wouldn't show if nominated. I'm guessing that hasn't changed. Yann isn't gonna induct someone who has no intention of playing along. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    They said they wouldn't show if nominated. I'm guessing that hasn't changed. Yann isn't gonna induct someone who has no intention of playing along. 
    Then the whole thing is officially a joke (if it wasn't already).
    edited October 2018

THIS is the accurate truth.  I know a couple of people who used to be in the select group of nominators and voters, although the process has a public angle to it now.  While I have not spoken to any of the people I know specifically about Radiohead, I've heard a lot about ridiculous factors that went into who did and didn't get in in various years, and I'm positive of 2 things: 

1. Radiohead was eligible in the last round but was not chosen; and 
    2. Radiohead saying ahead of time that they won't show for an induction ceremony absolutely affected them getting in last year.  

They are far too widely recognized as game changers and hugely influential on music to not induct them the 1st time around.  There is also a ridiculous number of crazy, nothing-to-do-with-quality-of-music factors that go into who gets in or not.

Somthing that personally both amused me and annoyed me: Jann Wenner (Rolling Stone's Editor In Chief and co-founder of the Rock Hall of Fame) was against the (EDITED TO CORRECT:) RAMONES getting in!  I'm pretty sure now that I think of it it was the Ramones year he boycotted (along with a few others).  That was the same year Tom Petty and the Talking Heads got in!  But it was still because he didn't think they were a legit influence on rock.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    I thought this year's ceremony was pathetic. In the same year Radiohead was first nominated and denied, Mark Knopfler decides not to show up with the rest of Dire Straits. Did he make up his mind after it was announced Dire Straits would get in or before?
    edited October 2018
    I just edited my post above because the more I think of it, I'm pretty sure it was the Ramones and not the Clash that Jann Wenner boycotted the ceremony about.  Which was the year before the Clash were inducted, and of course it was Eddie who inducted the Ramones, mohawk and all.  Isaac Hayes also got inducted that year, which was awesome!
    JH6056 said:

THIS is the accurate truth.  I know a couple of people who used to be in the select group of nominators and voters, although the process has a public angle to it now.  While I have not spoken to any of the people I know specifically about Radiohead, I've heard a lot about ridiculous factors that went into who did and didn't get in in various years, and I'm positive of 2 things: 

1. Radiohead was eligible in the last round but was not chosen; and 
    2. Radiohead saying ahead of time that they won't show for an induction ceremony absolutely affected them getting in last year.  

They are far too widely recognized as game changers and hugely influential on music to not induct them the 1st time around.  There is also a ridiculous number of crazy, nothing-to-do-with-quality-of-music factors that go into who gets in or not.

Somthing that personally both amused me and annoyed me: Jann Wenner (Rolling Stone's Editor In Chief and co-founder of the Rock Hall of Fame) was against the (EDITED TO CORRECT:) RAMONES getting in!  I'm pretty sure now that I think of it it was the Ramones year he boycotted (along with a few others).  That was the same year Tom Petty and the Talking Heads got in!  But it was still because he didn't think they were a legit influence on rock.
    Radiohead should be inducted this year AND issued an apology for not being let in last year - not that they are looking for one...or would accept one!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    The Hall of Fame is a joke. Knowing that they’ll only induct bands who play by their rules hammers home that point for me.

Knowing that Radiohead feels the way they do about the whole thing only endears me to them more. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Its a silly organization. Its fun to honor bands and these artists do deserve it, but the concept of it is pretty ridiculous. 

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Its a silly organization. Its fun to honor bands and these artists do deserve it, but the concept of it is pretty ridiculous. 

“They don’t, they don’t speak for us”
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The Hall of Fame is a joke. Knowing that they’ll only induct bands who play by their rules hammers home that point for me.

Knowing that Radiohead feels the way they do about the whole thing only endears me to them more. 
    The Hall also openly admitting they fucked up putting the Hall in Cleveland by avoiding not only Cleveland, but the entire midwest in their ceremony is also kind of funny / sad.
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    edited November 2018
    In my quest to find some Radiohead soundboard bootlegs, I came across this great resource online and wanted to pass along. http://essentialradioheadbootlegs.tumblr.com 
    I've only listened to a few shows so far, but the quality is excellent and I recommend checking 'em out!  My faves so far- '06 Bonnaroo and both of the "From the Basement" recordings.  B)
    Post edited by Fixer13 on
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Fixer13 said:
    In my quest to find some Radiohead soundboard bootlegs, I came across this great resource online and wanted to pass along. http://essentialradioheadbootlegs.tumblr.com 
    I've only listened to a few shows so far, but the quality is excellent and I recommend checking 'em out!  My faves so far- '06 Bonnaroo and both of the "From the Basement" recordings.  B)
    Awesome!! Will check this out when I get home!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Fixer13 said:
    Awesome!! Will check this out when I get home!
    Berlin ‘00 sounds great, too.  Lots more to check out!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Fixer13 said:

2006 Bonnaroo was the best show they ever played. and that's according to Thom himself.

I am so lucky to have been at that show. and the bootleg is AMAZING!! almost studio quality.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Fixer13 said:
    Those are FLAC, any MP3??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    lolobugg said:
    Fixer13 said:

2006 Bonnaroo was the best show they ever played. and that's according to Thom himself.

I am so lucky to have been at that show. and the bootleg is AMAZING!! almost studio quality.

Great show indeed but he did say that quite awhile ago. They played some outstanding shows this past summer!
  • I would be ecstatic if I could get my hands on quality recordings from either Boston show from this last summer. 

That must have been awesome to see them back then.  Agreed, the Bonnaroo boot sounds incredible!    It’s fun checking other shows out...Utrecht 97 sounds great, too

@23skidoo- I’ve only found flac files so far through that particular bootleg website