Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    How is everyone doing this summer?
    @FoxyRedLa?

I'm doing about as well as I could hope to.  Not many milestones happening other than scoring my first set of 10 chin ups with 45lbs added.  Back to spitting distance (literally could probably spit my way down right now lol) of the 50lbs weight loss benchmark and it's really showing so I'm happy there.  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and not feeling too self-conscious in their swimwear haha.  The amount of work it takes to look good without clothes on is flat out astounding.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I walked over 32,000 steps around Prague yesterday. That’s gotta count for something ;)

We probably passed each other at some point, LOL. I don't count steps, but one day in Prague we walked eighteen miles. My poor husband kept commenting on how he is not used to so much activity; I just stared at him and said I was trying not to go crazy from lack of running. I just didn't feel comfortable with running along the Vltava; fortunately, our hotel in Prague had an awesome gym.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    rgambs said:
    Prague!!!???  I'm jelly.

I am doing well, I gained 10lbs on my two-week binge and I'm shedding it back off easily.  The time out of the gym did me some good, I'm having some killer workouts. 
    I don't look nearly as fit as I am, there are some great looking dudes in the gym who can't haul 10 normal pull-ups and I'm hauling 10 with 25 added lbs.  Same goes for everything else. 
    Oh well.  I like cake.
    Ha. I hear you (and I like cake, too).  The gym I go to is full of bodybuilders, and most of the women are much younger than I am and are doing "bikini" competitions. I try not to feel bad about the part where I'm literally twice their age and run ten miles before I even get to the gym, but that can be a challenge when surrounded by so much spandex and silicone. I finally stopped one day to notice that I'm moving a lot more weight than they are (and I keep telling myself that, as a runner, the last thing I need is breast implants).

So I guess it all comes down to, what are our goals? I don't look like a 20yo bikini model, but that's not a realistic goal; I do look pretty damn good for a 50-ish woman who has had children, and I'm stronger and faster than ever. I need to be happy with that.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    rgambs said:
    How is everyone doing this summer?
    @FoxyRedLa?

I'm doing about as well as I could hope to.  Not many milestones happening other than scoring my first set of 10 chin ups with 45lbs added.  Back to spitting distance (literally could probably spit my way down right now lol) of the 50lbs weight loss benchmark and it's really showing so I'm happy there.  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and not feeling too self-conscious in their swimwear haha.  The amount of work it takes to look good without clothes on is flat out astounding.

I've found that it helps to take a walk on a clothing-optional beach and see just how many people of all shapes and sizes are comfortable with their bodies as they are. ;-)

But, yeah, it's a lot of work. Most people freak out when they hear how much time I spend working out.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Still at it. No great progress or PRs to report.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I walked over 32,000 steps around Prague yesterday. That’s gotta count for something ;)

We probably passed each other at some point, LOL. I don't count steps, but one day in Prague we walked eighteen miles. My poor husband kept commenting on how he is not used to so much activity; I just stared at him and said I was trying not to go crazy from lack of running. I just didn't feel comfortable with running along the Vltava; fortunately, our hotel in Prague had an awesome gym.
    I don’t typically count steps but my phone does, so I was curious and checked it out. Prague was the where we hit our walking peak but also walked a ton in Krakow, Berlin and then Venice. I would have loved to check out a European climbing gym but there was no time for that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm back to exercising and working from square one, again. I have a weight goal and a running goal. Once I hit one of those goals I will allow myself the opportunity to see Jack White in concert or to attend the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool festival. Onward!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I'm back to exercising and working from square one, again. I have a weight goal and a running goal. Once I hit one of those goals I will allow myself the opportunity to see Jack White in concert or to attend the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool festival. Onward!
    Nowhere to go but up Ms. Haiku!!
    Look at it like an opportunity if you can.

I'm ready to change things up, I've had the same workout scheme for a little more than a year.  I'm going to reduce my volume by half and ratchet up the intensity.  I'm doing an adapted version of 
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

I'll focus on progressive overload as I've only added 10-20lbs of lifting strength in the past year, though I have continually improved my conditioning, stamina, and body composition.  
    I'm nervous about the idea of less work equalling more results, it doesn't feel right...but some of the experts say it so I'll try it.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    After a 10 month break (baby duties) I have resurfaced and am jumping back into gym fitness starting in an hour from now. Carry on friends.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    After a 10 month break (baby duties) I have resurfaced and am jumping back into gym fitness starting in an hour from now. Carry on friends.
    Have fun!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    It’ll feel great!

Well, maybe not initially, but that will come. Good on you! Making time for exercise when you have a new baby is tough. 
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Hey gambs! :hug: I am having quite the lazy summer. I have been "making my abs in the kitchen" :lol: not much exercising going on here. I am down 43lbs. Still chipping away at this midsection that wont budge it just bloats the more I try haha. 

HEADED TO WRIGLEY BABY!! :rock_on:

I'll be in my ladies purple 10c shirt because it fits now lol I'll see if I can find it and try it on. I ordered XXL because they all run small. :open_mouth: I dont have to order up anymore. Whoa.

I have a weird weight loss skin thing going on in the neck under chin area. Been taking collegan hoping it will help tighten it up. No luck so far. 

My work weeks are so crammed I'm exhausted every weekend so again not much growth but making good food choices.

Good job enjoying life people!!! Xoxo
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    Ok here it is folks. Ha no way this shirt was fitting 40lbs ago. This is the first time I've even tried this shirt on. I did not do my hair so no glam here.

First pic wahooo the shirt fits! And is awkwardly shaped! May not wear this one. The second one is my bloated belly I'm still working on. 

Here's a comparison. This pic is from August last year. Not the greatest but gets the point across.

Couldn't resist! :blush:

Wow, FoxyRed - amazing work! 

Have I mentioned that taking up climbing is good for the core? :lol: 
    Thanks often! :heart: I'm not aware of anything near by haha and that's my story 
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I'll share my map to better health.
    I have a 1000 square foot garden...that's big.
    I turn soil.  Weed.  Bend and stoop...a lot
    I've lost thirty pounds from 220.
    My family and I are enjoying a great harvest of fresh organic foods for almost no cost.
    I pay nothing to attend my "gym".
    I really enjoy the company of the other Gardeners.  It's a community share agriculture thing.  About 50 other plots of various sizes.
    It also lead to me quitting a thirty year cigarette sentence. 
    Pearl Jam et al have been there (in my buds) the whole food goodness time.  
    I love it.
    My point is that I decided to live healthier not just get fit...and real rewards that never involve me ego tripping in a mirror.  Been there and didn't dig it.
    Actually the song swallowed whole was a bit of an inspiration.
    For a warm up I'm setting new cement stairs beside our house.
    Try heavy labour.  It works and you get things that others also can use and enjoy.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    The above is a spring shot of the garden.  Nothing recent.  Not really a let's take a pic guy.
    The below is current for the stairs
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    FoxyRedLa said:

Great job! :clap:
    Thanks!! :bee:
    FoxyRedLa said:

That's awesome progress, congrats!

The belly thing is hard, especially after having kids. I guess the first question would be, are your abdominal muscles still separated? If so, you would want to resolve that issue before trying anything else.

Fibroids can cause bloating (sorry, guys)... so can certain days of our cycles.

Beyond that: Depending on how your body stores fat, getting rid of the belly can be hard. I tend to store fat in my thighs, so it was less of an issue for me. But I can tell you that even after tons of daily core work and becoming very lean, I still don't have Instagram-ready abs, due to having children. That loose skin doesn't go away (sorry!!).
    I've made some good progress in the gym. I can do "real" pull-ups now! Woot! Of course, now I want to work on them all the time, and my back would like me to dial things back just a little bit. ;-)

And I'm now squatting and deadlifting more than I weigh. That's not an earth-shattering accomplishment, but it's progress, and it also means that I've finally (I hope) dealt with a nagging wonky hip flexor that was getting in the way of doing proper squats.

I got four hours of exercise yesterday, so this morning I seem to be hiding from my workout. Onward!...?
    Great work Foxy!  That's an excellent transformation!

Glad to see summer is going well for people.

TalonTedd said:
    I'll share my map to better health.
    I have a 1000 square foot garden...that's big.
    I turn soil.  Weed.  Bend and stoop...a lot
    I've lost thirty pounds from 220.
    My family and I are enjoying a great harvest of fresh organic foods for almost no cost.
    I pay nothing to attend my "gym".
    I really enjoy the company of the other Gardeners.  It's a community share agriculture thing.  About 50 other plots of various sizes.
    It also lead to me quitting a thirty year cigarette sentence. 
    Pearl Jam et al have been there (in my buds) the whole food goodness time.  
    I love it.
    My point is that I decided to live healthier not just get fit...and real rewards that never involve me ego tripping in a mirror.  Been there and didn't dig it.
    Actually the song swallowed whole was a bit of an inspiration.
    For a warm up I'm setting new cement stairs beside our house.
    Try heavy labour.  It works and you get things that others also can use and enjoy.
    People underestimate the number of calories burned in slow steady work like gardening, and more importantly, the fat burn.  Much more efficient fat burning than aerobic exercise!  
    I don't care if you can deadlift 700lbs, if you hand pull weeds (motherfucking onions) for 2-3 hours your hamstrings will be sore as hell the next day.

I do both.
    Large garden and ego tripping in the mirror lol

I've found that my farm chores tend to put too much wear on my spine, hips, and knees for the cardiovascular and musculoskeletal benefits they give me, so I do them as quickly as possible and work my fitness in the gym and on the floor where I can control my mechanical advantages and spare my joints.

Swallowed Whole is a badass underrated tune.  People who aren't in touch with nature don't seem to appreciate it at all. 
    FoxyRedLa said:

That's awesome progress, congrats!

The belly thing is hard, especially after having kids. I guess the first question would be, are your abdominal muscles still separated? If so, you would want to resolve that issue before trying anything else.

Fibroids can cause bloating (sorry, guys)... so can certain days of our cycles.

Beyond that: Depending on how your body stores fat, getting rid of the belly can be hard. I tend to store fat in my thighs, so it was less of an issue for me. But I can tell you that even after tons of daily core work and becoming very lean, I still don't have Instagram-ready abs, due to having children. That loose skin doesn't go away (sorry!!).
    Thank you curm!! I was JUST reading about diastasis recti last night! I tried to feel if I had the separation couldn't tell. I have blood work next week and appt with dr the following and will ask him if he thinks I do because I do need a plan going forward. I'm not stuck because this is a slow process for me with little to none exercise right now.

Thank you for sharing it does help me bunches!!
    Regarding stubborn belly fat and internal bloating, I would look toward professional bodybuilders and figute competitors for possible answers.  Both issues are huge in those circles, and there are some real solutions to real problems to be found.
    I also found that reducing starchy carbs (bread, pasta, rice) helped with bloating. I've become a big fan of quinoa, LOL.
    I also found that reducing starchy carbs (bread, pasta, rice) helped with bloating. I've become a big fan of quinoa, LOL.
    I am also a big fan of quinoa, but just because I like it ;) 
    Thanks rgambs.  Anyway it's done swallowed whole or guns gallored.  It's good to feel great.