*** Missoula, MT Fanviews Here 8/13/18 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited August 2018 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Washington-Grizzly Stadium
Missoula, MT
Away Show #1
Aug 13, 2018
Set List

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

Band Onstage:8:43
Band Offstage: 11:29

(Ed comes out wearing an Evel Knievel white leather jacket. He takes it off pretty quickly)
01. Pendulum
02. Low Light
03. Go
04. Do The Evolution
05. Arms Aloft-(Bullen, Shields, Slattery, Stafford, Strummer)
06. Mind Your Manners

(All right, well music brings people together and we are glad that everyone came out for a very important reason.  Jeff thank you for organizing this and inviting us.  It is nice to be back.  The crowd is chanting Jeff.  Ed says that is a reason to drink.  He and Jeff both take swigs from Ed’s wine.  Ed talks briefly about how beautiful it is here.  Ed says, I know Paul McCartney played here because I was sitting there.  Inspires Ed to play about 10 seconds of “Blackbird” by The Beatles.  He said The Rolling Stones played here.  Mike plays about ten seconds of “Jumping Jack Flash”.  Ed suggests they all play a different Stones song.  He counts it off and chaos ensues..  EV says we may be the first band to play here twice.  He isn’t bragging because a person who brags about crowd size isn’t really a good guy.  Without naming it is obvious who is talking about since he mentions the person bragging about breaking Elton John records.  The only thing Ed would brag about is if they get the largest young voter turn out.  “That I would brag about all day”

07. Corduroy
08.  Pilate
09. Even Flow (Ed starts to sing the outro chorus but stops to go the edge of the stage and to encourage the audience to sing.)

(How about a little history?  We are on a campus.  21 years ago today was the first real show we played.  We had played clubs and stuff but the first real show we played with Matt Cameron was right here on this stage.  Thanks so much Matt.  You got a beat you could play for that?)

10. In My Tree (instead of ‘newspapers’ Ed says ‘textbooks don’t matter much to me’  for the second line)
11. Down

(Ed asks for the house lights to come up.  He sees a young girl in the audience.  He says it looks like she has perfect time and I am getting so much energy from you young lady.  It is so great to know that the world is going to be in your hands some day.  He asks the audience to pass a tambourine back to her. The tambourine does make it back to the girl despite some minor skepticism.)

12. Lightning Bolt
13. Not For You /Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney) 1:10 tag
14. Daughter/It's OK-(Cole)-full song
15. Setting Forth
(That was for the big sky this one is for Big Sandy [Jeff’s hometown])
16. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(I want to say before the next song that election day should be a national holiday.  He lists some problems with not being a holiday and things that a holiday would help.  
He points out a couple in the front row wearing matching t shirts that say I (heart) Sex & Beer.
I am glad you found each other.  He gets them some beers.  “Now, I am gonna give these to you and I want to watch you enjoy them.  But that is all I want to see.  They drink the beer pretty quickly and Ed ask, “Now you don’t do the other thing that quickly.”  He goes back to voting and says the best thing is on that day we are all equal.  It is right and responsibilities.  He says we need to vote in big numbers because there are complications like big money, corruption and Russians.  Voting is the Antidote.  It is your vote they can’t deny)
17. Can’t Deny Me
18. Porch (Mike kneels in front of his amp and works feedback from it like a theremin, moving the guitar in and out.  Ed goes the barricade for the “Heys.”  People are grabbing him too hard.)

Encore Break One
(Ed and Jeff spot some trouble in the audience.  Ed says it looks like the people over there are voting this guy out and we agree.  
After the incident is resolved Ed wants to talk about Jeff because unlike some people Jeff isn’t one to brag.  Ed lists some of the things that Jeff has done for charity.  He also introduces Jeff’s aunt and uncle and his parents.  Ed says this next song is one of many collaborations.  Or is it collusion?  Are we colluding?  Jeff says “guilty”.)

19. Bee Girl
(This is a quiet one for the serious collector)
20. Fatal
(Ed wants to thank a bunch of people but he has Jeff start.  Jeff thanks the band, crew and management and everyone involved with their activism.  There are four groups we have been working with, Ford Montana Group, Planned Parenthood of Montana, He continues to list people to thank.
Ed asks the audience to show their appreciation for all the hard work the individuals have put in he asks them to turn on their phone lights.  We talked about Paul McCartney’s music in here I thought we should have some of John’s as well)
21. Imagine-(Lennon) “no hell below us, above us Big Sky”
22. Given To Fly
23. Throw Your Hatred Down-(Young)
24. Better Man /With Or Without You-(U2) :10 seconds / I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend-(Ramones) : 20 seconds,  / Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 1:00  (Ed finishes the song lying on his back and playing guitar)
25. Jeremy
(I need to make a public service announcement and there are probably signs.  If you text “ROCK” to 52886 you will be asked to commit to being a voter in November.  It is the people you vote for that will be your voice in DC.  It is overwhelming.  There is a lot going on.  Make sure to use your voice.  It is so important for your community, state, country and planet.  You are in the top five states where the election can be decided by the youth vote.  We would never tell you who to vote for.  In this case we don’t have to  The choice is obvious)
26. Know Your Rights-(Strummer, Jones)
27. Alive
28. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)
29. Indifference (Ed has the Evel jacket on again)

Ed thanks Evel Knievel, the band and John Tester for being someone we can believe in and trust

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Not epic
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited August 2018
    Reminder
    Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
    Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you

• PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    You're missing both gtf and alive I believe

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 679
    Anyone know the song that was played when the show ended?  

GO was an audible.  How cool was that?
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    I was there and my girl and I thought it was incredible- and our last show was Seattle 2.. Ed was extremely animated and seemed to be very in to the show and we felt like the band really brought it.  The people in our section had the time of their lives and everyone was singing and dancing the entire night.  Safe travels everyone and see you at Wrigley!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    A few missing .
    Fun show.  Interesting crowd, 
    Rocked out like a mother and I'll miss not being in Chicago.  
    On to Fenway!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ScottyBlackScottyBlack Calgary Posts: 9
    I travelled a long distance to Missoula for a Pearl Jam concert....  not a political rally 
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Thanks all :)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Fatal again heard it via phone for 4th time and twice heard it as Soundcheck. Keep missing it . Next time hopefully! 
    Thanks  Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Thanks Sea, good fix.
  • AC300802AC300802 LA Area, California Posts: 55
    Fun. Had seats on Mike’s side. I thought it was an awesome show. Cool venue -aside from the disorganization getting people in, which delayed the start of the show. It really was a beautiful evening. I’d love to see another show here. Not a typical set list for sure, but that made the night interesting. Plus, there were a lot of cool moments around Jeff and this being his home show, the band sounded great, and based on the sections around us, and watching the pit bounce the whole night, the crowd seemed very into it. Wish I was going to Chicago. Safe travels all!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
      I  would make the trip from Greece just to see live fatal
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Overall I thought the first set was amazing.  The second was a little less so but I agree with Dimi about Fatal.  Was so excited when they played that.
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    Ok, so I have seen five shows in 2018. Pinkpop, padova, sea1 and 2 and Missoula. Just worked out this way with my work to see them all. I’m blessed, I know, and I’m simply stating my opinion here in this review .  

Compared to others I saw in ‘18, missoula lacked something. Maybe the fact it became a shortened set when it was not advertised that way. Not sure. Shorter set with some amazing moments, don’t get me wrong. Such as fatal, not for you, down and even a rocking edition of Lightning Bolt. However I came in expecting a full PJ show and that wasn’t there. It could have been better, as in a longer show and with less covers and may I dare say, less Ed banter about politics. Before I get crucified,  as mentioned, i was blessed in 2018 with multiple PJ shows and am in no way complaining. Any PJ show is amazing!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    good to see Know Your Rights back on the setlist
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2018
    First of all the show was amazing, the crowd was amazing and they played Fatal.  Awesome.

I read these posts and people are complaining about the band talking politics... at a show that was called Rock2Vote? 

Pearl Jam does cover songs folks, I’d get used to it.
    All the covers were awesome and spot on tonight.  One was a Vedder cover and another was a Neil Young cover of a song he wrote with everyone in PJ besides Ed. Add a couple Joe Strummer tunes in there and RITFW for good measure... 

:rock_on:
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Missoula set list given to fan from band
  • pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    edited August 2018
    I travelled a long distance to Missoula for a Pearl Jam concert....  not a political rally 
    Uhhh, you know this was a ROCK2VOTE and Jon Tester rally, right? It’s not a Motley Crue show
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    pjsyco said:
    Uhhh, you know this was a ROCK2VOTE and Jon Tester rally, right? It’s not a Motley Crue show
    Uhh, you know it wasn't that when the tour and show was first announced, right?
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    edited August 2018
    chitty said:
    Ok, so I have seen five shows in 2018. Pinkpop, padova, sea1 and 2 and Missoula. Just worked out this way with my work to see them all. I’m blessed, I know, and I’m simply stating my opinion here in this review .  

Compared to others I saw in ‘18, missoula lacked something. Maybe the fact it became a shortened set when it was not advertised that way. Not sure. Shorter set with some amazing moments, don’t get me wrong. Such as fatal, not for you, down and even a rocking edition of Lightning Bolt. However I came in expecting a full PJ show and that wasn’t there. 
    I kind of get what you're saying as stadium shows tend to be longer.. But you got 29 songs..! Padova had 27.. Stage time was about the same. Does the difference lie in the expectations? Just curious..

Post edited by PeArLgOoNeR on

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
      I  would make the trip from Greece just to see live fatal
    You’re crazy man lol
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    pulling69 said:
    pjsyco said:
    Uhh, you know it wasn't that when the tour and show was first announced, right?
    No, but it was well established as one as early as April so this shouldn't have been a surprise. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    PFFFT.   Carry on.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Loved the town and had a blast at the show. Loved the set list and I thought the crowd energy in GA was fantastic. Everyone was singing and dancing their hearts out. Thanks for the great show boys, keep it up!!
  • I travelled a long distance to Missoula for a Pearl Jam concert....  not a political rally 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I guess you havent paid attention the past 30 years lol
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I really hope people dont complain about “only 29” songs.  That’s a marathon
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Ah i see, when they play a red state its a show/political lecture. When they play a blue state, those folks are sophisticated enough to just get a show.
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    People continually being surprised/annoyed that Ed talked politics at a show cracks me up.  As if the band hasn't talked politics or done political/benefit shows for the last 28 years.

Pearl Jam is a political band, and always has been. It's probably time to deal with it.

Looks like a great set to me. Pilate, In My Tree for the win!
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Pilate, Down, Fatal, Indifference... Nice 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville