A Word On Merchandise

2»

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    JB56195 said:
    I'd be curious how many people would preorder merch sight unseen?  I like to get posters for the shows i attend.  I'd preorder a poster pack without seeing them.  I'm not a fan of the Shuss poster but I wouldn't care if I bought and was disappointed.  The 35 bucks is fine compared to the time it took to wait in line.

Biggest issue is efficiency.  I bet 25% of the line on Wed morning was people coming back through to get things that sold out the day before.  Why is the system so screwed up those people cant get what they want first time through.

Also why hold stuff back to sell at the venue?  Keep putting it out until it's gone.  As long as limits are enforced and you must have a ticket to attend the show fine.
    yeah that's a good point....how awful to wait 2-3 hours and then they don't have what you want?  But 20 minutes later they probably restock.

That's like being waterboarded
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • sgtppr67sgtppr67 Posts: 241
    For the merch being sold outside days in advance, it would be nice if you had to be a ticketholder to purchase posters or something. Granted, not everyone is getting a ticket that may want a shirt or something small, that's fine, but to buy something SHOW specific, it should be for ticketholders. The lines move slow enough, they might as well add 30 more seconds to have the buyer prove they are going to the show.

Wrigley 2016, I just kept seeing hoards of people walk by with 5+ tubes, arms and bags loaded, and I couldn't tell if they're just flippers that were in line or actual ticketholders. Yes, ticketholders will flip too, but for someone that lives in the city and didn't pay to travel or get a ticket is going to make a monster profit if they can buy whatever they want.
    How are ensure those are legit tickets? A second QR/bar code and database created for merch sales? The merch attendants aren't going to be versed enough to detect fake or duplicate ticket. A flipper makes his living on this shit, he will find a way to get around whatever system you put in place. The long lines create a desired effect, FOMO drives sales "well i already waited in line for hours i better by the shirt i didn't want since the one i did is sold out".
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    JB56195 said:
    I'd be curious how many people would preorder merch sight unseen?
    They did that for the Spectrum shows and people howled about the Tom Tomorrow prints. Not sure if that factored at all into not doing it again, but it was something to behold.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Merch is no longer a priority for me. Will always want t-shirts and will get things here and there if it’s easy, just not spending all my money and time on it anymore
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Merch is no longer a priority for me. Will always want t-shirts and will get things here and there if it’s easy, just not spending all my money and time on it anymore

Same....it's become more of a pain in the ass than what it's worth.   I have a totes full of shit from the past 20 yrs and 95% of it is worthless; including posters that will never be framed and boxes full of tshirts.   Waste of time and $.   Knowing that half the people in the merch line at shows are flippers (and a lot of them are "fans" that buy extra to sell, you know who you are) makes it even more frustrating.   The old limit rules of one poster per person should've never went away.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • RC242143RC242143 Posts: 52
    Seattle was nuts.  I have bern to Fenway and Wrigley and Fenway had the best setup. I waited maybe 1.5 to 2 hours. I already got my stuff outside, but there appeared to be a multitude of stands with stuff that had small lines.  Safeco was a mess. The lines were everywhere for food and it seemed like there was not as many Merch stands as there should be.  

If the merch gods heed prayers, here are my suggestions:

limits: why do you allow people to get 2 shirts of each size? It should be limit of 2 total per design. Beyond that I don’t see an issue with the rest. If given the choice I would vote for 1 poster, but I don’t think that system is broken. Maybe set a total poster limit of whatever is offered. So if they have 5 designs the limit is 5 with no more than 2 of a single design. 

What about some type of VIP line? Either go with Analog members or perhaps creating a new tier of 10 club that allows you to go into a quicker line. Other ideas are to allow those people to preorder some stuff or maybe get access to setlist shirts online after the show. 

Speaking of setlist shirts, please figure out a way to sell them online. I know Wrigley 13 was a special situation, because of the show going late, but selling them online in a limited fashion is a great way to allow people who are out of town to have a chance at getting them. If nothing else a great charitable opportunity as I would gladly pay 40-50 with extra going to a good cause. 

Another idea that may work better inside is to have smaller stands with alongside the larger stands with everything.  Smaller stands could sell just a fewof the main T-shirts and smaller stuff like patches, pins, cards and stickers but no posters. 

Had a blast in Seattle with two amazing shows.  See you at Wrigley! 

• jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    Well said.  I got my shirt and poster inside on Friday and waited in line maybe 45 min max (got there at 5:30) so got lucky they were selling the shirt and poster i wanted.  But, like you i’d Love the set list short, makes me sick what people are selling them for on eBay 
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • For me, I just cannot do the hardcore merch stuff like some people do lol.  It just seems to stressful and so much of a commitment to get every item you want from every show

I would rather casually stroll in, wait in the line stress free to get a normal cool looking tour shirt, and enjoy the show.  Different strokes though!
  • I think definitely maybe imposing a purchase limit and strictly enforcing it on the setlist shirts and other highly desired items may help.  It won't stop someone from putting it on Ebay but at least you wouldn't get people buying 50 only to resell
  • I got in on Thursday, checked the line that day and Friday and didn't take a chance. Too nuts, too hot and first time in Seattle so didn't want to waste tourist time... Went Saturday in hopes of getting a setlist shirt. Total wait to walk out was about 90 minutes not bad... especially since I got everything I wanted (excluding a setlist shirt).

Suggestions: 1. update the line on the status of items. Example: a lot of folks were waiting just to get the setlist shirt only to find out it had sold out an hour earlier. Also, I talked to some dudes who waited in line only to find out there was no LARGE t shirts left of show specific gear. 2. snake the line inside, like out, so that they take the next person in line and you don't get stuck behind a flipper, super fan, or a shirt-trier-on-er... Super frustrating watching people who were behind you on the outside line walk away with their stuff while you're still 3 deep in your assigned line. 3. have an express line like the grocery store, 5-10 items or less.

Also, I don't think just selling merch inside is a solution, the lines there stretched multiple sections on Friday, even with the outside merch being available already for days, so I couldn't imagine if inside was the only option.

Far as stuff being available on website... I don't think everything should be because of site crashes etc. but an option for ten club ticket lottery winners to add a poster or setlist shirt on to their order would be a simple and welcomed fix.
  • I wouldn't mind a Ten Club VIP merch tent.  Membership could be a cherry on top for this with your tickets.
  • IGotId13 said:
    Let me preface this by saying, in the grand scheme of things, a poster and a shirt are not a big deal. 
    And second, this in no way soured my experience in Seattle this past weekend. Pearl Jam taking over an entire city like that, the buzz around town, the 10C shirts everywhere, the MoPop exhibits, the Ames Pop Up, hunting for Home Show beers (took 6 stores to find some!) and the show itself. It was all amazing and something I'll remember forever. 

I got lucky. A friend was in Seattle two days prior to my arrival and was going to wait in line anyway so she grabbed me two posters and a shirt. Much appreciated. That all being said, there has got to be a better way to handle the merchandise situation. They are hyper-vigilant (with good reason!) about scalped tickets. The same effort I think needs to be put toward merchandise. The lines were long, yes, but they were also PAINFULLY slow. And when you got up there, sizes were gone, posters gone, etc. Night 2 Setlist shirts are on Ebay right now for over $100. Ames had a whole thing at their pop up about discouraging flippers, and I'm all for that. But then you got to limit how many people can get, or release some online to 10C, or open up more than just one tent outside the stadium. Something. 

Again, this is all peanuts compared to the show and atmosphere, not to mention the cause. But...man, I wouldn't mind having a setlist shirt.
    How about going back to old school, 1 poster, a few shirts, sell them in the venue and put the focus on the live music. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,771
    PJPADDLER said:
    IGotId13 said:
    Let me preface this by saying, in the grand scheme of things, a poster and a shirt are not a big deal. 
    And second, this in no way soured my experience in Seattle this past weekend. Pearl Jam taking over an entire city like that, the buzz around town, the 10C shirts everywhere, the MoPop exhibits, the Ames Pop Up, hunting for Home Show beers (took 6 stores to find some!) and the show itself. It was all amazing and something I'll remember forever. 

I got lucky. A friend was in Seattle two days prior to my arrival and was going to wait in line anyway so she grabbed me two posters and a shirt. Much appreciated. That all being said, there has got to be a better way to handle the merchandise situation. They are hyper-vigilant (with good reason!) about scalped tickets. The same effort I think needs to be put toward merchandise. The lines were long, yes, but they were also PAINFULLY slow. And when you got up there, sizes were gone, posters gone, etc. Night 2 Setlist shirts are on Ebay right now for over $100. Ames had a whole thing at their pop up about discouraging flippers, and I'm all for that. But then you got to limit how many people can get, or release some online to 10C, or open up more than just one tent outside the stadium. Something. 

Again, this is all peanuts compared to the show and atmosphere, not to mention the cause. But...man, I wouldn't mind having a setlist shirt.
    How about going back to old school, 1 poster, a few shirts, sell them in the venue and put the focus on the live music. 
    I do happen to like the merch stands outside the venue, as we buy stuff, stash it in our car (or our hotel room, as is the plan for Fenway this year), then don't have to deal with it during the show. That said, I totally agree that moving all merch stands back inside is the best solution to the common complaints. I'd probably just buy stuff on the way out.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    This has been going on for years and is brought up every tour.

10C does not care.

if anything they make more key chains socks shirts and everything else you could imagine.
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,376
    PJPADDLER said:
    IGotId13 said:

Grandpa! You didn’t tell me you got a ten club membership! =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,004
    I agree with the OP. I always try to get a poster, but it doesn't always happen.
    I also have a job and a family, so I choose to not show up 6 hours before a show to stand in line for merch. I get what I get when I get there. I have always gotten the shirt that I wanted....(that elusive Lexington '16 poster will most likely never be mine)...and I am mostly ok with that.

Going to the shows and enjoying the music and the atmosphere has always been number 1 for me.

Now with that being said, I will be getting merch at 1 or both Wrigley shows, I had good luck at Wrigley '16, so I will hope for the same.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Hate to say it folks it really is very simple - Ten Club after years upon years upon years upon years of 10C members bringing this exact point up haven't changed.. they're not going to.  You're never going to have the opportunity to pre purchase merch before the show - as is customary you will after the show on this site.

Your choice on if you want to stand in line for awhile to get what you want or not.  
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago)

• PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049

IMO, what would help is if they had a proper store front in Seattle as opposed to a merch booth.  When the Foo Fighters did a huge show in LA they had a pop-up store with their merch for the local shows, the lines moved quickly, the Foo Fights staff seemed to be running the shop and it went smoothly.  Metallica did the same thing, rented a store front, sold the merch there for about a week and the process was simple.  Maybe something to consider.

I mention these bands because they're equally as huge as PJ.  It could work.

Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    PSUS2H said:

IMO, what would help is if they had a proper store front in Seattle as opposed to a merch booth.  When the Foo Fighters did a huge show in LA they had a pop-up store with their merch for the local shows, the lines moved quickly, the Foo Fights staff seemed to be running the shop and it went smoothly.  Metallica did the same thing, rented a store front, sold the merch there for about a week and the process was simple.  Maybe something to consider.

Live Nation was in charge of the Foo Fighters pop up. Doubt they would've done it if they had to have their people run it
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    RP112579 said:
    PSUS2H said:

Live Nation was in charge of the Foo Fighters pop up. Doubt they would've done it if they had to have their people run it

Regardless, it worked.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • is there any chance of homeshow merch making to the online platform?
  • SP218311SP218311 Boston, MA Posts: 164
    For the Foo Fighters Fenway show, they did some website preorders and the merch was available in the merch pop-up bagged up and ready to go (shirts, hats, small goods, but no posters).  If you didn't pick it up, money was refunded and it looks like all the extra stuff was put up for sale in their online shop (PS - Boston, NYC, and Toronto merch is up on the Foos site if anyone was looking).  Pretty cool way to do it, though I realize that whoever the Foos use for merch probably has more staff and better logistics to be able to pull this off.  And they are able to create a merch scene/frenzy but still make it somewhat easy for people to buy a shirt if they want to, whether before, during, or after the show.
    1998 Mansfield 09/15 | 2000 Mansfield 08/30 | 2003 Mansfield 07/02, 07/03, 07/11 | 2004 Boston 09/28 | 2006 Boston 05/24, 05/25 | 
    2008 Mansfield 06/28, 06/30 | 2009 Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 | 2010 Boston 05/17 | 2013 Worcester 10/15, 10/16 - Hartford 10/25 |
    2016 Boston 08/05, 08/07 - Chicago 08/20, 08/22 | 2018 Seattle 08/08, 08/10 - Boston 09/02, 09/04 | 2022 Denver, 09/22
  • ganggreen1974ganggreen1974 Strong Island Posts: 16
    edited September 2018
    The one cool thing about the merch pop up stands is that it reminds me of back in the day waiting in line to buy tickets at my local tower records. it creates buzz and its part of the experience. Earning something. with that being said i agree. a limit per item must be set. in boston i saw people walking away with 25 posters at a clip. eBay flip no doubt. but the fans who waited hours in the sun, that isn't fair. 
    Post edited by ganggreen1974 on
    Roseland, NY- 11/16/1991
    Jones Beach, NY - 8/09/1992
    MSG, NY - 5/02/2016
    Fenway, MA - 9/02/2018