*** Seattle, WA Fanviews Here 8/10/18 ***

Comments

• A more appropriate review now that I'm home and spinning Vs:

1. Sound guy deserves a medal. One of the best sounding shows I've ever been to. I can't speak for the seats or the back, but I'm hoping they got the same quality we did on the floor.

2. Awesome setlist. Awesome intro. Corduroy was sweet... and then... RATS/ IN HIDING/ WHIPPING. Freaking awesome- my favourite stanza! They teased WMA which sounded fantastic and I was grateful to hear it. Crazy Mary/ Jeremy/ Leash- my second favourite stanza- sealed the deal for me. Everything was bonus from there on.

3. Eddie talked about how 'tight' they were on the first night, but how they felt much 'looser' this night. He wasn't just saying that- the band played their asses off like the pros they are.

4. Dustin (Minnesota) was a great guy who I gave my buddy's GA ticket to (long story behind that which I won't bother detailing). The Ohio State Buckeye alumni girls with us on the floor were rockers! The engaged couple behind us were great people as well.

I'm really impressed with every American I met outside of the guy who really struggled opening beer, taking people's money and giving people the beer for the money. He was probably a nice guy as well, but damn I needed him to be quicker.

5. I'm going to have to really think about it, but that show might be my favourite concert I've ever seen for a ton of reasons. It's up there for sure.

I'm sincerely hoping the remaining shows are wicked too! I hope the fans that are super eager to see their event are fulfilled! I toyed with the idea of travelling and doing it again.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • WOW!!! Big thanks to all my surroudning GA neighbors. My first time going GA, despite attending shows since 1994! My life has changed forever. Pearl Jam and their fans are are breed of compassion, rocking, and love people!!! Unthought Known made up for the lack of No Code but I will NEVER complain about what is played. They are the creative geniuses we love and keep close to our ears and hearts for our own journeys. Such a blessing!!!
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 125

This was my first trip to Seattle and the show was exactly what I was hoping for: Phenomenal setlist, special guests, 3+ hours. Ed seemed to really be enjoying the opportunity to play to such a large crowd at home. I had a really sweet woman visiting from Ohio next to me in the GA who was at her first show, that made it even more fun for me. Definitely one of the best shows I’ve seen. Right up there with MSG1/2 from 2010. 

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    This is 100% one of those "instant classic" boots!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • I am still processing it! Will be for days. How the fuck did they cram all of that amazingness into one night!!!! 
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 280
    Even the things that have become relatively perfunctory - the crowd singalongs, the interplay between Boom and Mike during Crazy Mary, the umpteenth time you’ve heard Alive - were somehow more colorful, more vibrant.

Somehow they managed to be incredibly tight as a musical unit while still being loose and having more fun than I think I’ve ever seen during a show. Especially Mike. When he walked out in the plaid pants and red leather jacket, he looked like a guy who had something to prove. It was a privilege to be in the room with him, and with all of them.
    09/04/93 * 07/19/98 * 11/05/00 * 05/30/03 * 09/02/05 * 09/04/05 * 09/05/05 * 09/07/05 * 07/21/06 * 07/22/06 * 04/02/08 (eV) * 04/03/08 (eV) * 09/21/09 * 09/22/09 * 09/25/09 * 07/15/11 (eV) * 09/25/11 * 12/04/13 * 08/10/18 * 05/04/24 * 05/06/24
  • This was only my 5th PJ show, but - I'm not sure this can be realistically topped...everyone has their "dream" setlist but this had so many touchpoints from what mine would have (LEASH, STBC, Immortality, Nothingman, RATS!!!) + a ton of the hits we usually hear, and combine that with the awesome people my wife and I met in middle/back GA (huge props to Graham who is going to the same NIN show in LA later this year, awesome!), it couldn't have been a better show/more successful night. N1 was really fun, but N2 was memorable
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    FoxyRedLa said:
    DAMN YOU SEATTLE!! Ughhh. No way we're getting Leash @ Wrigley now. You fuckers.

Beautiful set.
    Hee hee hee We were long overdue!  =)
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
    MG182478 said:
    Holy Moly, Seattle. You guys got some shows. Wow!
    We absolutely did! Wednesday night for me was good. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but it felt like something was missing. We got several amazing cover songs that night including The White Stripes which was a surprise, but the show left me wanting just a little more. Friday night's show was highly anticipated because a lot of us were wondering if that would be the better of the two shows. Well guess what....it obviously was! By the time the second song started, I could already feel something in the air and knew we were in store for something different. Within the first five songs we had Oceans and Brain of J, moving along into Rats, Whipping, and Leash. Are you freaking kidding me? It was almost as if the band read my mind for songs I really wanted to hear. And then to keep the momentume going with Sonic Reducer and Can't Deny Me for the first time in Seattle, we were loving every minute of it. The Chris Cornell cover was very touching, and it was cool to see Kim Thayil join the band once again like he did in 2013. And of course, what's a PJ show in Seattle without a visit to the stage from Mark Arm and Steve Turner? The night was jam packed with a setlist for the record books. The guys were on fire and having a blast, and they were thrilled to be playing their home town. Definitely one of the best PJ shows I've ever seen and I cannot wait for the bootlegs to be released! And while I was at the Sub Pop Fest at Alki Beach today, several people in the crowd had been last night and a few of them were even saying they thought it ranked up there in one of the best three shows they've ever seen (the other two were Nirvana and Tool). 
    I've been saying that I felt the home shows would be epic, and they were. Score one for the home team because Seattle just set the bar for the rest of the away shows!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited August 2018
    ZeldaZonk said:
    MG182478 said:
    Holy Moly, Seattle. You guys got some shows. Wow!
    We absolutely did! Wednesday night for me was good. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time, but it felt like something was missing. We got several amazing cover songs that night including The White Stripes which was a surprise, but the show left me wanting just a little more. Friday night's show was highly anticipated because a lot of us were wondering if that would be the better of the two shows. Well guess what....it obviously was! By the time the second song started, I could already feel something in the air and knew we were in store for something different. Within the first five songs we had Oceans and Brain of J, moving along into Rats, Whipping, and Leash. Are you freaking kidding me? It was almost as if the band read my mind for songs I really wanted to hear. And then to keep the momentume going with Sonic Reducer and Can't Deny Me for the first time in Seattle, we were loving every minute of it. The Chris Cornell cover was very touching, and it was cool to see Kim Thayil join the band once again like he did in 2013. And of course, what's a PJ show in Seattle without a visit to the stage from Mark Arm and Steve Turner? The night was jam packed with a setlist for the record books. The guys were on fire and having a blast, and they were thrilled to be playing their home town. Definitely one of the best PJ shows I've ever seen and I cannot wait for the bootlegs to be released! And while I was at the Sub Pop Fest at Alki Beach today, several people in the crowd had been last night and a few of them were even saying they thought it ranked up there in one of the best three shows they've ever seen (the other two were Nirvana and Tool). 
    I'm finally wound down enough to process all of this.  I totally agree with the post above, especially the bolded.  I asked a couple of people what they thought of Wed and got mixed answers.  What I always say is "PJ on their worst night is still better than 85% of bands on their best nights" and Wed was FAR from bad, it was a really good solid show.  But there was something off, and I chalk it up to all the hype and expectations of the band and show (expectations the band also has of themselves I'd imagine, and of course the public's expectations), and the "wow factor" of 2 sold out stadium shows hometown with no new album... it just I bet is a lot to live up to.  And they did a great job at Seattle 1, and... it still was not quite the galactic event that many felt it would be.

But Friday SURE AS HELL was that galactic event!  The Cosmos are not the same now!  

Someone above quoted Ed as having said on Friday that they were "tight" Wed but "looser" Friday, which I don't think I caught that but it's good to know the band felt the same way.  And then I'm sure Friday surpassed EVERYONE'S expectations, because it was just so EXTRA and BEYOND in so many ways!  For me it was everything from the specific setlist, to the performance itself and the great moods the bands seemed to be in (great moods Wed too).  And then there were my fellow fans and the people I sat with.  Had a couple truly surreal moments too, like just whoa whoa whoa!

And then there was the amazing Thursday, hung out with my Seattle hosts, art gallery visit, really nice dinner, and then that amazing event at MoPop, early access to that stellar historic PJ exhibition, some amazing convos with PJ people and fans, just the vibe in there (and the next morning when my paid ticket was for), and the film show, catching up with some old friends, and shutting down the Sky Church with a couple of lovely fans I met, just storytelling and laughing (and drinking way too much, oops), it was so so magical!

Friday back to MoPop, also saw the Marvel exhibit (had seen the Nirvana exhibit when it first opened at MoPop so didn't see that again cuz the line), then the Wishlist party, meeting Danny Clinch who is beyond awesome, the photos, the auction and raffles, connecting with some of my oldest PJ friends... amazing.  Entry to Safeco was far easier Fri (because we all knew the drill, knew which rules to ignore (like which gate to enter at (hint: just look for shortest line), and which rules to follow (like not bringing in a bag any bigger than a damn postage stamp).

And then there was that Seattle 2 show itself.  Brilliant and phenomenal beyond description.  And SO damn fun!

In the end, I find myself just amazed and grateful.  What a ride of being a fan for 25 yrs, 55+ shows, and this was in the top 3 for me for sure, and I've been to some epic/famous/personally significant shows for sure.  Thank you for BRINGING IT PEARL JAM!  And thanks to the fans and Seattle residents for BRINGING IT as well!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    Some photos from the rail both nights! A glorious week. Can't say enough about the performance, song selection and celebratory feel of the band and the crowd! Truly Epic
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

edited August 2018

Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• I love reading everyone's reflections.

I like seeing the pictures too. What an awesome show. I'm still floating and hope to for a while longer.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    What an incredible epic show. 3.5 hours, 36 songs. I saw them for the first time in 1992 and this show is top 3 for me. Oceans, Brain of j, immortality, missing, thin air, all or none, stbc, kick out the Jams, sonic reducer, it’s ok tag, won’t back down , leash, in hiding, and maybe the best BAba of all time? Crowd went absolutely nuts. The Cornell song was next level. Kim wearing the Cornell shirt. How does this band play like that after all these years? Was this the longest pj show ever? Best show of the tour hands down. No way does Montana, chi or  bos get anything close. A night like that doesn’t happen very often. Thank pj, with getting older and life becoming too real sometimes thanks for something to look forward to and a night to let loose and listen to the greatest band that ever stepped on a stage. 
  • JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    After night 1 I thought they would be subdued for show 2. I mean night one really floored us and how could they maintain that for two shows... So wrong. They knocked us out again and this time there was no recovery. So many great moments, all blended together made for an amazing night. This will churn in my souls for a long time.
  • MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 483
    I flew out on a wim Thursday night because of wednesdays set.  Show #30 and a huge bucket list item checked off, a show in Seattle.  What an amazing time and an amazing show.  Aye Davanita walk out.  Then 3 magical trios played. Oceans..footsteps..nothing man.  Later immortality w/intro!!!!...I'm open..unthoughtknown.  Lastly I wont back down.. thin air.. all or none.  It truly is amazing that every time I see them I think the show can't be better than the last show and everytime I am just so wrong.  Can't wait for Wrigley!!! 2 more shows in my favorite stadium.
  • This was the most amazing show!  I flew in for both shows, totally worth the trip, Seattle is an amazing city and Friday's show was epic.  Leash!  Can't believe it.  Every time I thought they were done, they came back for more. 3.5+ hours and they never slowed down.  Mike McCready on fire.  Kim Thayil?  Wow.  I'm beside myself.   I went to the MoPop exhibit, also amazing.  Everything A+ and my only problem is....where do I go from here?  What could be better than this night?  I can't imagine a lineup or venue or cause that would beat this experience.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I have held off posting because I didn’t know what to say. I still don’t; everything that’s been said so far has spoken to my experience, too. But here goes..

I was never going to be able to go to the Wednesday show, but I figured I could swing the Friday show so put in for GA and got tickets. For my ticket buddy I invited my best friend, who has been there for me through some awful shit in the past three years. There was a lot we wanted to see and do in Seattle so we planned to fly out on the 540 am flight from Victoria, arriving in to SeaTac at 6:30. Up at 3:00 am, but who cares? It’s PJ! 

Got to to the airport, through security and boarded the plane - all systems go! Sat on the runway for an hour  - all systems no-go, actually. Off the plane. Flight cancelled, then uncancelled; plane being repaired..... oops, no parts. New plane? Actually, no; flight cancelled again. Wait, maybe not! 

All I can say is, Delta is not in my good books right now. At 10:00 we walked out of the airport and cabbed to the Clipper ferry terminal. Thank FSM we had that option, at least. Arrived in Seattle at 2:15. Missed our MoPop exhibit time, missed lunch with a group of great people that I’ve met on the forum over the years, BUT we were here in time to grab some food and drinks and then go to the venue. 

We were 2nd row from the rail, Mike’s side, only more so. From then on in, everything was perfect. Absolutely perfect. Whipping is one of my favourite songs and I was not expecting it. RVM does it for me every time, and this time I got two versions! ;) The energy in our area was amazing, and quite different from that in Europe. In both Krakow and Prague there was a certain level of aggression in GA - more pushing, more anger; a fist fight broke out next to me in Krakow. Friday night had none of that, just a wonderful sense of camaraderie and delight that we were all sharing the experience. We rocked out in a big way.  All of my travel woes were so, so worth it. 

And to think I have two Fenway shows in three weeks. 

Thank you, Pearl Jam, from the bottom of my heart. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    To those who mock "us people" who sleep out for the front spots etc.. I just wanted to share some of the perspective of why we do what we do. 

My wife flew out Sunday and camped out three nights for the first show. I followed the next morning and camped out for two. We entered separately as was appropriate for our separate arrival. We met up inside and enjoyed the show together. We both went right from the night one show and got in line for the Friday show. We have been to Seattle before and done most of the tourist stuff. We were there for Pearl Jam concerts. We have camped out many times before so we are pretty good at keeping ourselves comfortable while on line. We have a suitcase that contains a tent, matress, air pump, and two sleeping bags. 

The people we meet from all over the world, and the old friends we get to spend time with are part of the amazing experiences we have. We were on the rail both nights. Night one we were on the rail one spot to the left of dead center, and night two we were on the rail one spot to the right of dead center. Our desire to be up there is not to beg for tambourines or guitar picks or to make signs. It is to have a clear view of watching our favorite band in the world perform like they are in our living room. Not a single obstruction, to be able to focus on the music with the most dedicated, and generous fans on this planet. I could look over the rail and turn my head and see 20 people in either direction that I know their names and their stories of where they come from. We have talked intimately until late at night and forged bonds we will have for a lifetime. We have shared a common love and dedication for this band that is not more or less than anyone else out of the other 47,000 people, but it is different. We all shared an experience together. The sense of community and camaraderie is something that is beyond special. 

The slightly sore and somewhat fatigued state that the camping out will bring is instantly relieved by the first note of magic. I had more energy, enthusiasm and passion then I ever feel when I am in a "seat". Somehow there is a feeling of satisfaction you get after a long hard days work. nothing feels better then getting home after you have been working hard all day and then you are rewarded with whatever it is that brings you the most comfort and joy.  

I have done this before and will do it again without hesitation when the opportunity permits. I understand It is not for everyone, but for these particular fans it is the most fulfilling way to enjoy the entire experience. 

To all all my old friends and the new friends we made, I thank you all for enriching our time together and we will see you again soon.

Steve D

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2018
    I love reading everyone's reflections.

I like seeing the pictures too. What an awesome show. I'm still floating and hope to for a while longer.
    Couldn’t agree more Thirty.  Well said 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    edited August 2018
    A dream come true.  Love you guys so much, I’m still on a high!!!
    Post edited by jacquelynca on
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I like that comment of how an average pearl jam show is still better than 85% of all other shows.  We had some friends come with us who hadn't been to '13/'16/'18 era of 3 hour shows.    My friend told me this was the first time he'd been to a show with me where PJ brought it (which was wierd because I still rate Boise 2000 in my top 5, which he was at).    Still, it was nice to see he felt it to.  Not all Pearl Jam shows are the same.   Some are better than others, and Friday's was better than most :)
  • I love reading everyone's reflections.

Couldn’t agree more Thirty.  Well said 

Cheers buddy!
  • steved said:

Holy shit!  Dude you couldn’t possibly be any closer! Thumbs up from section 117!!! Great fucking show! Also want to thank Chrissy and Olivia, two locals that  I sat with and had a blast with! Have fun in Montana! Great meeting you and rocking out! - Joe and Sara from Jersey. 
  • steved said:

Holy shit!  Dude you couldn’t possibly be any closer! Thumbs up from section 117!!! Great fucking show! Also want to thank Chrissy and Olivia, two locals that  I sat with and had a blast with! Have fun in Montana! Great meeting you and rocking out! - Joe and Sara from Jersey. 
    I was in 117 for Wednesday show. Row 18.

A good location.
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    edited August 2018
    I won tickets in a suite to Wednesday’ show and my brother and I got way too carried away. From what I remember I wasn’t overly impressed, but like someone above said,a PJ show is better then 85% of any others. I’m  not complaining just making an observation.

FRIDAY the band blew people’s mind, mine included. Start to finish. Even though I’ve heard it before I love the It’s Ok tag and the girl in GA they showed on screen bouncing for the whole outro probably represented the joy we all felt.

I am now in glacier national park and Missoula tomorrow. I doubt they can top Seattle 2 variety and length, but I’ve been surprised by this amazing band before 
    Post edited by chitty on
  • chitty said:
    I won tickets in a suite to Wednesday’ show and my brother and I got way too carried away. From what I remember I wasn’t overly impressed, but like someone above said,a PJ show is better then 85% of any others. I’m  not complaining just making an observation.

FRIDAY the band blew people’s mind, mine included. Start to finish. Even though I’ve heard it before I love the It’s Ok tag and the girl in GA they showed on screen bouncing for the whole outro probably represented the joy we all felt.

I am now in glacier national park and Missoula tomorrow. I doubt they can top Seattle 2 variety and length, but I’ve been surprised by this amazing band before 
    I hope the remaining shows are awesome.

I couldn't care less if a consensus is reached about Seattle Night II being the best show of this tour.

I'm just so euphoric right now that I want all remaining fans awaiting their shows to feel the same.

My only hope is that there is a vinyl release of the show someday. The bootleg will be great, but I'd be a fulfilled man if I could come home from work... pour a nice shiraz for myself... and put on that show to relive again.