Some facts for the Obama haters

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Obama was rocking out to a Jay-Z/Beyonce concert.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I won't judge him for that  ;)
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I will.  That and he was drinking god awful beer in the past.  Some serious character flaws!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I will.  That and he was drinking god awful beer in the past.  Some serious character flaws!
    He's cool, has wit and feels like a mench though.

Still enjoy watching him destroy Paul Ryan on that debate
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Thats funny ... drinking bad beer is definitely a character flaw ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    "Good" beer is gross and people only pretend to like it because it's cool lol 

Hate me all you want, you all know it's true deep in your hearts.  You've conditioned yourself like Pavlov's dogs to accept it, and maybe even derive some joy from it, but if it didn't make you tipsy there is no legitimate claim to it having a palatable flavor.  "Bad" beer outsells "good" beer exponentially for a reason: it's not as gross.

You look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that a craft beer tastes good and gives you pleasure like an expertly crafted pizza, delicious steak, or a dessert like pie, cake, ice cream, etc...  If you can do that then, congratulations, you are a good liar lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:

Hate me all you want, you all know it's true deep in your hearts.  You've conditioned yourself like Pavlov's dogs to accept it, and maybe even derive some joy from it, but if it didn't make you tipsy there is no legitimate claim to it having a palatable flavor.  "Bad" beer outsells "good" beer exponentially for a reason: it's not as gross.

You look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that a craft beer tastes good and gives you pleasure like an expertly crafted pizza, delicious steak, or a dessert like pie, cake, ice cream, etc...  If you can do that then, congratulations, you are a good liar lol
    :lol: I admire you for saying this "out loud", most people don't have the balls. :lol:;)
    I don't drink beer much at all because for some reason more than one or two starts making me feel kind of sick (started happening during my mid-20s). But when I do drink it, all I want is a reasonably skunky beer that goes well with a lime wedge (but not Corona because I require a 5% minimum for my alcohol content, lol). I couldn't care less who makes it or how, nor that some people might think the lime wedge is some kind of beer faux pas. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

:lol: I admire you for saying this "out loud", most people don't have the balls. :lol:;)
    I don't drink beer much at all because for some reason more than one or two starts making me feel kind of sick (started happening during my mid-20s). But when I do drink it, all I want is a reasonably skunky beer that goes well with a lime wedge (but not Corona because I require a 5% minimum for my alcohol content, lol). I couldn't care less who makes it or how, nor that some people might think the lime wedge is some kind of beer faux pas. :tongue:
    I have a friend who is 47 and drinks a few cases a week.  Classic highly functioning alcoholic.
    He freely admits that beer is gross and he drinks light beer because it's less gross.  Now, obviously dude enjoys drinking beer...quite a bit actually lol
    But he doesn't pretend it's because it tastes good, and it's super refreshing to hear the truth out loud from someone who drinks that much beer.
    We were talking to a young man (23) and he was saying he doesn't drink beer because it's disgusting and Curt told him, "of course it is, bitter, burpy..nasty.  You tolerate it until you need it in your life and then you won't care anymore"
    I thought that was hilarious are true.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:

I lived in western NY state for a few years in the 70's and I was dirt poor.  I went out of my way to find this beer- it was dirt cheap and tasted great!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I have a friend who is 47 and drinks a few cases a week.  Classic highly functioning alcoholic.
    He freely admits that beer is gross and he drinks light beer because it's less gross.  Now, obviously dude enjoys drinking beer...quite a bit actually lol
    But he doesn't pretend it's because it tastes good, and it's super refreshing to hear the truth out loud from someone who drinks that much beer.
    We were talking to a young man (23) and he was saying he doesn't drink beer because it's disgusting and Curt told him, "of course it is, bitter, burpy..nasty.  You tolerate it until you need it in your life and then you won't care anymore"
    I always say that if people truly drank booze for the taste, they'd all drink milkshakes instead. :lol:
    We drink booze for the buzz, period. If we also really enjoy the flavour, that's just a really nice bonus. I figure anyone who claims otherwise is in denial, lol!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    ^^^Ha!  Iron City! 
    I can get that at most of the stores around here!  It's beer.  That's about all I have to say about it lol
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I always say that if people truly drank booze for the taste, they'd all drink milkshakes instead. :lol:
    We drink booze for the buzz, period. If we also really enjoy the flavour, that's just a really nice bonus. I figure anyone who claims otherwise is in denial, lol!
    Oh hush you two blasphemers! I drink alcohol for the taste. The buzz is just a pleasant side effect sometimes, but I rarely get that from 1 beer. Now, if I'm going to drink that cheap swill you all are calling the better stuff then I'm doing so just for a buzz because I don't want to taste how pissy it is.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I'm a pepperhead and I don't conflate the pleasure I get from piquancy with a pleasant taste.  I wouldn't dare say a hot pepper that causes pain, sweating, runny nose, and (for many, but not me) discomfort at discharge tastes good like a nice rich chocolate cake.  My pleasure is derived elsewhere.

I will defend though that piquancy is an essential flavor component in a complete palette.
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Oh hush you two blasphemers! I drink alcohol for the taste. The buzz is just a pleasant side effect sometimes, but I rarely get that from 1 beer. Now, if I'm going to drink that cheap swill you all are calling the better stuff then I'm doing so just for a buzz because I don't want to taste how pissy it is.

rgambs said:
    ^^^Ha!  Iron City! 
    I can get that at most of the stores around here!  It's beer.  That's about all I have to say about it lol
    I don't drink beer anymore because of problems with anything with yeast in it but I might try a little just to see if I felt the same way all these years later.  Probably not, haha!

PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Good wines, definitely for taste.  I was born a wino.  My folks used to give us kids a teaspoon of wine when they were drinking a bit themselves and I always loved the taste, right from the get-go. As for the buzz- only a little.  I don't handle much alcohol very well anymore.  Sure glad our marijuana laws have changed.   :wink: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Then you’re drinking the wrong booze ;)

To my mind, beer is definitely the wrong booze 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I don't normally drink beer (though not because I don't like the taste), and I love the taste of the booze I do drink (wine, cocktails, and premium highballs). I'm just sayin', but that doesn't mean I drink shitty alcohol, lol. My sweeping generalization applies to the best alcohol money can buy too, hahaha. No, but really, if people didn't drink booze for the booze and just for the taste, there would be a massive alcohol-free booze industry. They would have absolutely nailed the flavours of virgin faux spirits for all those angelic "I don't drink for the buzz" drinkers. I don't see an industry like that, and don't think one ever will. ;):lol:
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    ^^^Ha!  Iron City! 
    I don't drink beer anymore because of problems with anything with yeast in it but I might try a little just to see if I felt the same way all these years later.  Probably not, haha!

PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Good wines, definitely for taste.  I was born a wino.  My folks used to give us kids a teaspoon of wine when they were drinking a bit themselves and I always loved the taste, right from the get-go. As for the buzz- only a little.  I don't handle much alcohol very well anymore.  Sure glad our marijuana laws have changed.   :wink: 
    I know good wines and love them - my sister is actually a sommelier and married rich, so I am lucky enough to have access to amazing wines regularly - and I stand by my comment, lol! I totally know that all drinkers have absolutely acquired a taste for whatever booze they favour, including myself.... and I still believe that truly, honestly, we all still know deep down inside that the flavour of our favorite, snobbiest, you-just-need-to-drink-the-good-stuff-level booze doesn't technically stand up to an array of non-alcoholic beverages when taste and only taste is the determining factor. Not once you remove the biases. =) I'm not saying all booze tastes like shit - I love it!! - but still... it's the effects of the alcohol content that drives the entire industry, no matter how froo-froo you want to go with it, lol.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    rgambs said:

You have very questionable character 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I’ll take a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam beer, or Bell’s Two Hearted Ale over the corn & rice brewed shit any day. Because it tastes better. There’s a reason why I can easily down a pint of Sierra Nevada and the last sip is still cold vs a can of Natty Boh that sits til it’s warm and I struggle to finish it. It’s not because SN gets me a faster buzz, it’s because Natty Boh tastes like next morning’s piss. The *only* reason I’ll drink cheap shit is... wait for it... it’s cheap and I’m on a budget.

The reason shit beer outsells craft beer is not because it tastes better, it’s because of the millions spent on advertising that crap. It’s why you see 12 different Coors Light commercials during the Super Bowl and not a single Heavy Seas commercial. It’s why the Cardinals play at Busch Stadium, the Brewers at Miller Park, & the Rockies at Coors Field while the Phillies don’t play at Troegs Park or the Astros at Shiner Stadium.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    cat derails GIF
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I don't normally drink beer (though not because I don't like the taste), and I love the taste of the booze I do drink (wine, cocktails, and premium highballs). I'm just sayin', but that doesn't mean I drink shitty alcohol, lol. My sweeping generalization applies to the best alcohol money can buy too, hahaha. No, but really, if people didn't drink booze for the booze and just for the taste, there would be a massive alcohol-free booze industry. They would have absolutely nailed the flavours of virgin faux spirits for all those angelic "I don't drink for the buzz" drinkers. I don't see an industry like that, and don't think one ever will. ;):lol:
    Ummm, nope. The varying percentage of alcohol content and the process to achieve it can't be replicated without the booziness: see Beer - NA.
    I’ll take a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Anchor Steam beer, or Bell’s Two Hearted Ale over the corn & rice brewed shit any day. Because it tastes better. There’s a reason why I can easily down a pint of Sierra Nevada and the last sip is still cold vs a can of Natty Boh that sits til it’s warm and I struggle to finish it. It’s not because SN gets me a faster buzz, it’s because Natty Boh tastes like next morning’s piss. The *only* reason I’ll drink cheap shit is... wait for it... it’s cheap and I’m on a budget.

The reason shit beer outsells craft beer is not because it tastes better, it’s because of the millions spent on advertising that crap. It’s why you see 12 different Coors Light commercials during the Super Bowl and not a single Heavy Seas commercial. It’s why the Cardinals play at Busch Stadium, the Brewers at Miller Park, & the Rockies at Coors Field while the Phillies don’t play at Troegs Park or the Astros at Shiner Stadium.
    Right on.
    edited July 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

Ummm, nope. The varying percentage of alcohol content and the process to achieve it can't be replicated without the booziness: see Beer - NA.
    Science can do lots of stuff these days, lol. I'm sure chemists and the like would totally figure it out if there was any money to be had if they did. But in any case, tons of non-alcoholic drinks could be ordered now where you'd never know the difference, especially when you're talking vodka cocktails, yet virgin cocktails are by far the least popular drinks in any establishment, by far. I used to be a bartender, and I'm not sure I made more than 3 or 4 virgin cocktails in the 4 years that I did that job, and those were ordered by recovering alcoholics and pregnant women. ;)
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited August 2018

Just a reminder that most of the "shit beer " isn' even "American" anymore. Bud, miller, coors, etc are ALL owned by foreign companies. Most if not all profits go overseas. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    ^^^Ha!  Iron City! 

PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I know good wines and love them - my sister is actually a sommelier and married rich, so I am lucky enough to have access to amazing wines regularly - and I stand by my comment, lol! I totally know that all drinkers have absolutely acquired a taste for whatever booze they favour, including myself.... and I still believe that truly, honestly, we all still know deep down inside that the flavour of our favorite, snobbiest, you-just-need-to-drink-the-good-stuff-level booze doesn't technically stand up to an array of non-alcoholic beverages when taste and only taste is the determining factor. Not once you remove the biases. =) I'm not saying all booze tastes like shit - I love it!! - but still... it's the effects of the alcohol content that drives the entire industry, no matter how froo-froo you want to go with it, lol.
    Did you miss my comment about being born a wino?  :lol:

Hmm, but compared to a really good root beer float... yeah, got me there, give me the float!

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Beer snobs and foodies are annoying af
    edited August 2018
    Smellyman said:
    Beer snobs and foodies are annoying af
    Particularly the ones who don't even know what they're talking about and are just wannabes. I.e. I work with a self-proclaimed foodie who literally refuses to eat vegetables of any kind and has never even heard of Yorkshire pudding and thinks pork belly tastes exactly the same as a strip of fried bacon, lol.