Options

Concert veteran... but first timer seeing PJ. GA Tips?

MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
Hey guys! As it approaches I'm getting more and more excited for the Home Shows. 

I have three questions

1) For GA, are there any good strategies/tips to get a good spot? I'm not anticipating rail by any means, but I'd like to be close with a good crowd around me. What time should I get there? Any other misc. tips would be ideal.

2) What are your tips for getting and defending a poster in a GA show?

3) For posters, how stressed should I be to get there early and grab one? I have one show seated and one GA, and I want to get posters for both. 

Comments

• Options
    slabahn13slabahn13 Chicago Posts: 44
    Get there early. Earlier the better. Bring a poster tube. I'd immediately hit the merch stand once you get in to buy the poster you want, or hit the outside stands prior to the show. 
  • Options
    Won’t be your last!!!
    enjoy! They fn’ rock!
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Options
    dadesdades Posts: 321
    Your first time seeing PJ, and its in Seattle at Safeco.
    Don't think anything can prepare you for the moment they walk onto that stage.
    The reception will be like nothing you have ever witnessed before.
    Take it all in.
    Happy for you, but jealous as fook
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,933
    Hit the outside merch stand the day before the show. That way you don’t have to worry about keeping up with it during the show.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Beware of the circle pits.
  • Options
    MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    edited July 2018
    If the home shows are anything like the Wrigley and Fenway Concerts of 2016, there will be enough posters for everyone.  buy a poster tube to keep your poster safe. enjoy the show!
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    GA tips:
    - You can get a decent spot without killing yourself camping out. Being tall obviously helps, but the stage is set high in the stadiums and being 15-20 rows out is still a great view. 
    - Don't feel like you need to be center stage if you want to get close. Sides can get you closer to the front, just pick Mike's or Stone's side based on preference.
    - Once you settle in on a spot, make friends with those around you to help hold your place if you need to hit the bathroom/grab a beer. 
    - If it's hot, hydrate. Your legs will thank you, and missing a show because you pass out would be a shame.
    - Don't be a jerk. GA is better when you're around other people enjoying the show with you. 
  • Options
    jareds941jareds941 Posts: 37
    JojoRice said:
    Hit the outside merch stand the day before the show. That way you don’t have to worry about keeping up with it during the show.
    Is this always the case? Any way to know where / hours of op for these outside merch spots? I'm particularly interested in Missoula...I'll be in town well before the show and would love to get merch before actually showing up for the show.  
    1. The Gorge (2005) 2. The Gorge (2006) 3. The Gorge (2006) 4. Ridgefield (2009) 5. Portland (2013) 6. Spokane (2013) 7. Seattle (2018) 8. Missoula (2018)
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    definitely i would start to stress over getting a poster
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I recommend that you not even bother with a poster and make your life a lot easier.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    1. Tune out the folks in line who claim there’s a “list”.  They’re 42 and still live at home with mom and dad.  Hell, mom and dad bought their plane tickets to get them out of the house for these few shows. 

2.  Ignore the merch.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    If you are not picky with the poster you can just grab one after the show no problem and not have to protect it during the show.
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I don't know why but this thread is the thing that just got me into SUPER PUMPED pre-show mode.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    Personally, I would buy a poster on my way in.  The whole point of showing up early is to try and get a good spot.  If you stop to get a poster, loads more people keep filing in.

I'm going to be contratrian and say dehydration is key.   The Wrigley Pits in 2016 were big and sandwiched with people.   It would of been a major mission to find a washroom and find your way back.    I drink fluids all day and then stop when I get in the line.  

For Wrigley we showed up between 4 and 4:30 for both shows.  We got decent enough spots (maybe 15ish people back from centre). 

The Seattle pits look so big on the seating chart.   It makes you laugh when they make a small pit for arena's, because the stadium GA pits are jammed with more people than a whole GA floor of an arena :)
  • Options
    Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 647
    Do not worry about a stadium show poster as they are mass produced and are a pain to manage in GA. Buy one on the cheap a month after the shows. I learned this lesson the hard way.
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited July 2018
    tschav said:
    GA tips:
    - You can get a decent spot without killing yourself camping out. Being tall obviously helps, but the stage is set high in the stadiums and being 15-20 rows out is still a great view. 
    - Don't feel like you need to be center stage if you want to get close. Sides can get you closer to the front, just pick Mike's or Stone's side based on preference.
    - Once you settle in on a spot, make friends with those around you to help hold your place if you need to hit the bathroom/grab a beer. 
    - If it's hot, hydrate. Your legs will thank you, and missing a show because you pass out would be a shame.
    - Don't be a jerk. GA is better when you're around other people enjoying the show with you. 
    What he said.  Show up at 9:30-10-10:30am.  Bring food (think lunch and snacks) and cardboard to sit on.  Don't litter.  Share.

Beer seems like it's your friend but it really isn't.  Posters?  More problems then they're worth.

There is NO LIST.  You're either here or you're not.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    MEK42MEK42 Posts: 116
    Thank you everyone for all the tips!

so there's no chance of some limited poster or variant at the home shows? You think I can grab one on the way out easily? What's the deal with this "outside merch stand?"
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    MEK42 said:
    Thank you everyone for all the tips!

so there's no chance of some limited poster or variant at the home shows? You think I can grab one on the way out easily? What's the deal with this "outside merch stand?"
    There will probably be 5-6 different posters for Seattle, Boston, Chi and Missoula. There will most likely be one poster that everyone wants and that one will probably sell out each day, but the others you won't have a problem getting. Just look at the Posters in the Shop section on here. There are several from Fenway from 2 years ago for sale. The variants will be sold by the artist themselves online a day or so after the show. Possibly even the next week, so keep an eye out for that on social media or on the message boards here. They will most likely set up several merch tents outside the stadium a day or two before the shows start. If you really want merch, take an hour  and head down there and grab it the day you get there, that way you won't have to worry about it later. But if you're going to get it on the way in, bring a poster tube. They usually sell them, but usually sell out sometimes. For GA, if you're somewhat close in line, you can go in, grab a poster and then go get a really good place in the pit too. We did that in Amsterdam and were on the rail with a poster tube. no problems.

Most of all, no matter if you get merch, or where you sit, remember why you're there...to hear the guys in PJ play some great music and  to scream your lungs out on each song, exhaust yourself from the energy you've spent during the show and then immediately question if you should make a trip to the next place to see them play because you're addicted to seeing them live. Enjoy
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited July 2018
    Zod said:
    Personally, I would buy a poster on my way in.  The whole point of showing up early is to try and get a good spot.  If you stop to get a poster, loads more people keep filing in.

I'm going to be contratrian and say dehydration is key.   The Wrigley Pits in 2016 were big and sandwiched with people.   It would of been a major mission to find a washroom and find your way back.    I drink fluids all day and then stop when I get in the line.  

For Wrigley we showed up between 4 and 4:30 for both shows.  We got decent enough spots (maybe 15ish people back from centre). 

The Seattle pits look so big on the seating chart.   It makes you laugh when they make a small pit for arena's, because the stadium GA pits are jammed with more people than a whole GA floor of an arena :)
    Agreed. I mean, we don't want anyone passing out from dehydration, and it happens to at least one person every show from what I can tell, but for those who understand their bodies well, and know they understand what they can withstand, I agree that you should avoid all liquids for as long as possible before the show. Eat something salty, load up on water at maybe 3pm, and get all your peeing out of the way before you enter the pit, lol. And carry a pack of gum to keep your mouth better hydrated during the show. I'm not at all a really hard core pit person, but Zod's right - there is nothing worse than having to go to the washroom when you've got a solid spot in the pit. And trying to hold it is even worse. I've seen many people ruin their concert experience by trying to hold it to the point where they are suffering - it's crazy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,631
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Agreed. I mean, we don't want anyone passing out from dehydration, and it happens to at least one person every show from what I can tell, but for those who understand their bodies well, and know they understand what they can withstand, I agree that you should avoid all liquids for as long as possible before the show. Eat something salty, load up on water at maybe 3pm, and get all your peeing out of the way before you enter the pit, lol. And carry a pack of gum to keep your mouth better hydrated during the show. I'm not at all a really hard core pit person, but Zod's right - there is nothing worse than having to go to the washroom when you've got a solid spot in the pit. And trying to hold it is even worse. I've seen many people ruin their concert experience by trying to hold it to the point where they are suffering - it's crazy.
    That’s my hydration advice, too. Drink a bunch of water the day before and morning of. Cut off the water at around 2:00 or 3:00 and eat something pretty heavy a little after that. Pizza or something. During the show if you have water to sip on you should be good. 
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,536
    trade for seats.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,631
    jareds941 said:
    JojoRice said:
    Is this always the case? Any way to know where / hours of op for these outside merch spots? I'm particularly interested in Missoula...I'll be in town well before the show and would love to get merch before actually showing up for the show.  
    At the 2012 Missoula show, the outside merch line was brutally long before the show. The inside merch lines were also long. 
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I would not get a poster on the way into the show when you have a GA ticket. PJ merch is cray. You'll end up standing in line way longer than you want to and may not even get what you want. And then you'll be mad you did it in the first place because you could have had a better spot. I used to be a merch nut, I've given it up because of the long lines. Ultimately I'm there for the show and the whole merch thing is no longer fun for me.

Plus even if you do emerge victorious with a poster in hand, holding on to a poster tube in GA is super annoying. Been there, done that. I was worrying that I was going to lose it, or dropped it and had to bend down to retrieve it without being trampled on, or got a cramp from awkwardly cuddling it so I wouldn't drop it.

Get a friend who has seats to grab it for you :) Or get it on a day you don't have GA. For past ballpark shows, they had merch set up outside I think starting the day before until the day after. Even those were not guaranteed, there were multiple posters and there was always that one desirable one that kept selling out.

In Europe 2012, I was able to get posters AFTER the show. Imagine that. No such luck these days!