Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    We Don t have much that s large. So I'm on a quest to find small now  =)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited July 2018
    I did yesterday save 2 fledgling birds from 2 hungry cats. I felt like i had intervened in the natural selection but fuck it  I'm a lover.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I did yesterday save 2 fledgling birds from 2 hungry cats. I felt like i had intervened in the natural selection but fuck it  I'm a lover.
    Good on you!  It’s astonishing just how many birds are killed by domestic house cats.  In Canada alone, based on crude estimates, between 100 and 350 million birds a year are killed by domestic and feral cats.

In the US that figure is estimated in one study to be 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 small mammals!

The following year, Marra got more ambitious: He decided to tally up the national toll that outdoor cats take on wildlife. He and colleagues used mathematical models to analyze data from local cat predation studies going back more than 50 years. When they extrapolated the data to reflect national trends, they were stunned. According to their calculations, outdoor cats killed somewhere in the ballpark of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion small mammals in the U.S. per year—far exceeding any other human-influenced cause of avian death, such as pesticides or collisions with windows.

source:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/moral-cost-of-cats-180960505/

so so pat yourself on the back for the rescue.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Came across this guy mountain biking today:

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Nicely done!  Bravo!

Good on you!  It’s astonishing just how many birds are killed by domestic house cats.  In Canada alone, based on crude estimates, between 100 and 350 million birds a year are killed by domestic and feral cats.

In the US that figure is estimated in one study to be 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 small mammals!

The following year, Marra got more ambitious: He decided to tally up the national toll that outdoor cats take on wildlife. He and colleagues used mathematical models to analyze data from local cat predation studies going back more than 50 years. When they extrapolated the data to reflect national trends, they were stunned. According to their calculations, outdoor cats killed somewhere in the ballpark of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion small mammals in the U.S. per year—far exceeding any other human-influenced cause of avian death, such as pesticides or collisions with windows.

source:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/moral-cost-of-cats-180960505/

so so pat yourself on the back for the rescue.

One of the reasons we keep ours indoor only.  She also kills lizards which is a major NO!   She eats well indoors, gets plenty of exercise and and occasional tube of wheat grass to gnaw on/ paw at.

Came across this guy mountain biking today:

Ooh, cool!  Looks like some kind of garter snake.  Nice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Came across this guy mountain biking today:

Hmmm, is that a rattle snake?  Cool picture.
    Our cats were indoors too.  RIP Bud & Stella
    Egyptian  geese and a crane/stork  not sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Cute.  Are Egyptian geese as bad as Canadian geese?
    I can't remember now for sure but I believe the correct term is "Canada Geese".  I know Canadians often get very riled when the wrong term is used for that bird.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited July 2018
    No they are much less in numbers and seen not so often
    They get their name from the black eye liner look around the eyes. Like Cleopatra 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Lol. You’re right, of course, it’s not like they’re  citizens of Canada.  Around here we often refer to them as shitbirds.

This little beauty was trapped in my house overnight.  Poor thing.  Managed to catch and release it.  Hopefully the little feller will be alright.

This guy did a brief drive-by this morning.  Dogs were losing their shit do he didn’t stop and play 

This guy did a brief drive-by this morning.  Dogs were losing their shit do he didn’t stop and play 
    A bandit in the neighborhood! 

Years ago, the first time I lived in a place where raccoons came around, a small band of those critters started dumping and rummaging  the trash can every week.  A few time of that mess I got pissed off,  so one trash day I got up super early and waited in the shadows to ambush those suckers with my stern voice.  Well, haha, the joke was on me.  They didn't give a rat's ass about my scolding them and in fact, turned and looked at me like, "BACK OFF, JACK!"  and then started moving aggressively toward me.  Yikes!

That week, I got a new can with a strong tie down lid!

brianlux said:

Years ago, the first time I lived in a place where raccoons came around, a small band of those critters started dumping and rummaging  the trash can every week.  A few time of that mess I got pissed off,  so one trash day I got up super early and waited in the shadows to ambush those suckers with my stern voice.  Well, haha, the joke was on me.  They didn't give a rat's ass about my scolding them and in fact, turned and looked at me like, "BACK OFF, JACK!"  and then started moving aggressively toward me.  Yikes!

Lol. That’s awesome.  Nothing comes between a raccoon and it’s foraging.
    brianlux said:

Lol. That’s awesome.  Nothing comes between a raccoon and it’s foraging.
    I was blown away by how intimidating they are!  I ran!

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    brianlux said:
    I can't remember now for sure but I believe the correct term is "Canada Geese".  I know Canadians often get very riled when the wrong term is used for that bird.

The correct term is Canada geese. And yes we can get a bit testy if the wrong term is used. And yes they are assholes.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Pics of the wild turkeys that roam our yard.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

First photo, it looks like it's about to come at you. Scary.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:

The correct term is Canada geese. And yes we can get a bit testy if the wrong term is used. And yes they are assholes.
    Is it they come in gaggles not flocks?
    So in the North Shore of Long Island ,not too far from me there have been coyotes spotted!!!

You talk about fear mongering.  There are a bunch of suburbanites losing their shit right now, I love it.

We used to chase them off the golf courses in Cali.  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    So in the North Shore of Long Island ,not too far from me there have been coyotes spotted!!!

You talk about fear mongering.  There are a bunch of suburbanites losing their shit right now, I love it.

We used to chase them off the golf courses in Cali.  
    Coyote in the heart of LA too, they are extremely adaptable and even thrive in urban environments.
    Just like deer, they eat better in proximity to humans with our crops, small pets, our waste, and the critters that our waste attracts.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Critter is my favourite  word
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Critter is my favourite  word

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Oregon woman finds mountain lion napping in her home: 'This is wild'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/oregon-woman-finds-mountain-lion-napping-in-her-home-this-is-wild/ar-BBL2hwp?li=AAggv0m&OCID=ansmsnnews11

From The Article.
    Taylor made a noise to wake the feline, but then “gazed lovingly into her eyes, and communicated using feline-speak eye blinking to calm her,” she wrote.

“It was amazing to realize that this worked. I gazed lovingly then blinked hard and then she did it back,” Taylor continued, adding that the cat then went back to sleep. “She clearly felt safe and she showed no inclination to leave."

Any cat lovers ... can you communicate lovingly using feline-speak blinking.  My first inclination is that this woman is fucking nuts.  She might be lucky he wasn't hungry and didn't see her as a pork chop.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Oregon woman finds mountain lion napping in her home: 'This is wild'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/oregon-woman-finds-mountain-lion-napping-in-her-home-this-is-wild/ar-BBL2hwp?li=AAggv0m&OCID=ansmsnnews11

From The Article.
    Taylor made a noise to wake the feline, but then “gazed lovingly into her eyes, and communicated using feline-speak eye blinking to calm her,” she wrote.

“It was amazing to realize that this worked. I gazed lovingly then blinked hard and then she did it back,” Taylor continued, adding that the cat then went back to sleep. “She clearly felt safe and she showed no inclination to leave."

Any cat lovers ... can you communicate lovingly using feline-speak blinking.  My first inclination is that this woman is fucking nuts.  She might be lucky he wasn't hungry and didn't see her as a pork chop.
    Yes, I slow blink my cats...
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That woman is fucking nuts ... there is no way gazing lovingly and slow blinking tames a bobcat.  She was just lucky the cat wasn't hungry.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

I think he was actually more startled by the deck.  Kinda like wtf?
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

I think he was actually more startled by the deck.  Kinda like wtf?
    Oh come on...your deck can't possibly be THAT big. :lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory