Do you like Sirens

Comments

• El BobEl Bob Posts: 16
    Yes!
    It's one of my favorites right now!  I can see people thinking it's too "schmaltzy," but I like the lyrics. Maybe it's because I'm old now.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Yes!
    El Bob said:
    It's one of my favorites right now!  I can see people thinking it's too "schmaltzy," but I like the lyrics. Maybe it's because I'm old now.
    First post ever is to discuss Sirens?

Wow!

Hi El Bob!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    No!
    I can't stand Sirens. One of their worst songs ever IMHO. It's so confused. It sounds like a song from a band struggling to find an identity, and that is just plain weird and unsettling to hear from PJ.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yes!
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can't stand Sirens. One of their worst songs ever IMHO. It's so confused. It sounds like a song from a band struggling to find an identity, and that is just plain weird and unsettling to hear from PJ.
    Not even the solo?  
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Yes!
    Love it!  I get that it's a bit sentimental, but I think Ed in particular really shines, one of his most powerful and fluid vocal performances in years - I remember thinking when I first heard it that it sounded like Ed had rolled back the years vocally.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    No!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not even the solo?  
    The solo may be the worst part of that song. 

Ok the second worst part.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • No!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not even the solo?  

Unless you love 80s power ballads!
    ...just got a fresh bottle.
    Yes!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not even the solo?  

Unless you love 80s power ballads!
    80's power ballads were for the most part horrendous.  This does not remind me of that.  Now I have to go back and listen to see what I'm missing...
    No!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not even the solo?  
    I think that solo is pure cheez, although I don't think just one solo can make a terrible song good in any case ...... maybe if they'd thrown a 10 minute John Bonham solo into it I might feel better about the rest of the song. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    It's so-so
    Image result for the simpsons meh
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 188
    Yes!
    I like it.  It is fantastic on the record but I don't feel it when played live for some reason.  On the flip side, Lightning Bolt on the record is good but, when played live, it is 1000 times better.

Again just my opinion, I could be wrong.  :-P
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    It's so-so
    I´m surprised at the results so far. I´d thought more people dislike it. I particularly don´t care much about it, for me it goes the same category as Just Breathe.... 
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    No!
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    No!
    tbergs said:
    rummy said:
    I'm on the fence about November Rain, however.
    I hate November Rain and I can't believe it is the most viewed rock video of the 90's. Yuck!
    Well, Stephanie Seymour was quite a looker!
    No!
    I dig November Rain.
  • philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    Studio version, no dice. Live however, I've grown to love. When it came out, I fucking hated it, but in the FIVE YEARS since, I've lost my Mother and two dogs, so sentimentality and perspective have colored my feelings.
    Yes!
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not even the solo?  
    I think that solo is pure cheez, although I don't think just one solo can make a terrible song good in any case ...... maybe if they'd thrown a 10 minute John Bonham solo into it I might feel better about the rest of the song. :lol:;)
    I just clicked on a version that was awful and NOT what I remember hearing.  Clicked on another and it sounded better but now someone brought up "power ballad" and I can't get that out of my mind...  It's ruining it for me now.
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    No!
    Count me as a definite no. This is one of the few PJ songs that I really don't like to the point where I change the station whenever it's on PJ Radio. The other one is Yellow Ledbetter. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited July 2018
    No!
    ZeldaZonk said:
    Count me as a definite no. This is one of the few PJ songs that I really don't like to the point where I change the station whenever it's on PJ Radio. The other one is Yellow Ledbetter. 
    Just curious: To those of you who currently dislike Yellow Ledbetter, have you always felt this way about the song?
    Post edited by rummy on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited July 2018
    Worst song they've ever written.  And it's not even close.

YOU'RE not even close

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread/p4

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    Yes!
    I love it!!! I got to hear it live Fort Lauderdale 2016 and it was so beautiful!..especially when Eddie added to the end ..his vocals kind of just weaving in and out like through the guitars..still gives me frigin' goosebumps every time I hear it!
    Besides, I have it as my signature.
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• scrappysatticscrappysattic Lawrence, KS Posts: 302
    No!
    Its our go take a pee / get a drink song.  Such a buzz kill at a show. 

96' - Hartford
    98'- Hartford, Mansfield Night 2
    00' - Mansfield Night 2
    03' - Mansfield Night 1
    04' - VFC St Louis
    10' - Kansas City
    13' - OKC
    14' - St Louis, Tulsa, Lincoln
    16' - Chicago Night 1

17' EV  Louisville, KY

18' Wrigley Night 1

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    No!
    AndySlash said:
    My thoughts exactly. Total barf
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    No!
    rummy said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    Just curious: Do those of you who currently dislike Yellow Ledbetter always felt this way about the song?
    For me yes, it has always been this way.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    No!
    ZeldaZonk said:
    Seeing this made me so happy. You get it.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    No!
    ZeldaZonk said:

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Yes!
    mcgruff10 said:
    The song makes my wife very happy so if she's happy i'm happy even though it is just ok to me.  ;)
    I literally just vomited in my mouth! :sick:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    No!
    ^^^hahaha and just breathe I bet.  =)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Yes!
    Check out the version from Milton Keynes 2014. :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024