Advice for 4'8" fan who wants to be up front in the pit!!!

Hello PJ friends.
I never win anything, yet my biggest dream (since I was a 21 year old new PJ fan in 1991) has come true: I won a lottery drawing and I will be in the pit for one of the Seattle shows!!!! I literally moved here in 2011 with no job, no local friends/family, and no purpose other than deciding that life is too short (and so am I--HA!) not to try to make this happen somehow. And I finally got lucky. YAY! So now I"m hoping with more determination, luck and tips from fellow fans, I will be able to get my friend and myself right up in front of the stage. This is especially important for me because I am shorter than average short. Yes, I am a bit scared of being crushed but...it's a risk I'm willing to take. Now for the logistics: how extreme do I have to be in terms of showing up early enough to ensure I am right up there--do I really need to plan on living on the sidewalk outside Safeco field for a few days before the show, or are there other strategies I can use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks everyone,
Rita

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Live there for a few days.

I'd guess maybe 2.5-3 days to be absolutely sure.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Squirrel JamSquirrel Jam Posts: 112
    Yikes--are you serious or just teasing?

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Crawl underneath everyone.

Seriously, good luck I hope you get there.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • LaurelhurstLaurelhurst Around The Bend Posts: 13
    Once you're in the PIT, just pretend you're about to THROW UP...... It's amazing how much space people give to someone who's about to PUKE!! Works every time...  =)
    All Those Yesterdays..... 
  • Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Live there for a few days.

I'd guess maybe 2.5-3 days to be absolutely sure.
    Europe was 36-48 hours for most shows to be earlier enough in the line to get rail. The US shows will have a longer rail, but also much more people will be interested in sleeping out multiple days. So I would agree that the time input will be greater.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • You said so yourself. Life is too short to be sitting in a line for a concert for 3 days. Enjoy yourself and be content with a few rows back. 
  • SunshinejarSunshinejar Wales Posts: 53
    I had 10c standing tickets for London and we showed up an hour before doors opened and were 5 people from the front to begin then were about 15 back about half way through once the surge for the pit had finished. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    You said so yourself. Life is too short to be sitting in a line for a concert for 3 days. Enjoy yourself and be content with a few rows back. 
    At 4'8, she will see nothing a few rows back.  Unless you're willing to get in line at least a day early, maybe trade your ticket with someone who has a really good ticket in a seated location?  

If you can take days off from work, just drive by the venue from time to time a few days before and see if people are lining up. Once you see it, then do it yourself.  But yeah, I'd plan on at least lining up by Friday morning, if not Thursday afternoon sometime.  
  • SunshinejarSunshinejar Wales Posts: 53
    You said so yourself. Life is too short to be sitting in a line for a concert for 3 days. Enjoy yourself and be content with a few rows back. 
    At 4'8, she will see nothing a few rows back.  Unless you're willing to get in line at least a day early, maybe trade your ticket with someone who has a really good ticket in a seated location?  

If you can take days off from work, just drive by the venue from time to time a few days before and see if people are lining up. Once you see it, then do it yourself.  But yeah, I'd plan on at least lining up by Friday morning, if not Thursday afternoon sometime.  
    Actually I agree with this one, I’m 5ft 9 and struggled to see at some points even though I was so close. Lots of tall men!
  • thevachonthevachon Posts: 48
    Go with someone else also 4'8" and sit on their shoulders. Also if you plan to crowd surf hand all of the contents of your pockets to said trustworthy 4'8" friend. But in all seriousness, I'm 5'10 and I sometimes had poor visibility, but if you get there early enough you can kinda pick a good spot and just hope that people around are aware and courteous. You should be able to maneuver around though and find somewhere satisfactory.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Don’t stand behind tall guys
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I love your "Buckisms" Justin, lol!
  • PJ Mom from LIPJ Mom from LI Glen Cove NY Posts: 48
    Hello PJ friends.
    I never win anything, yet my biggest dream (since I was a 21 year old new PJ fan in 1991) has come true: I won a lottery drawing and I will be in the pit for one of the Seattle shows!!!! I literally moved here in 2011 with no job, no local friends/family, and no purpose other than deciding that life is too short (and so am I--HA!) not to try to make this happen somehow. And I finally got lucky. YAY! So now I"m hoping with more determination, luck and tips from fellow fans, I will be able to get my friend and myself right up in front of the stage. This is especially important for me because I am shorter than average short. Yes, I am a bit scared of being crushed but...it's a risk I'm willing to take. Now for the logistics: how extreme do I have to be in terms of showing up early enough to ensure I am right up there--do I really need to plan on living on the sidewalk outside Safeco field for a few days before the show, or are there other strategies I can use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
    Thanks everyone,
    Rita
    Hi Rita, was in a similar situation a few times - I am 5'1".  Just go in with an open mind, worse case, you move towards the back if it gets to much.  The few times we have been lucky to get GA in has worked out, but did not get rail.  At Barclay's a few years ago, we showed up later than I wanted to (it was a really bad day) the day of the show, ended up three people deep center stage - it was awesome. First time in the pit, made friends with those around us and had an amazing time. Except for a guy who decided to force his way through half way into the set and was hitting people with his arms trying to scare people to move.  Our new friends & my hubby made sure that we stayed in our spots.  Because we were so close, Ed spotted what was going on - it had gotten nasty, the guy was just being a jerk, they got security to get the guy out.  We learned after that to make a circle of trust, and the show will be amazing!  Tina
    96 - Randall's Island, NY
    00 - Wantagh, NY
    03 - Uniondale,NY/MSG/Holmdel, NJ
    05 - Ottawa,ON, Canada/Atlantic City, NJ
    06 - Hartford, CT/E. Rutherford, NJ
    08 - MSG/Hartford, CT
    09 - Chicago, IL/Philly, PA
    10 - Hartford,CT/Newark, NJ/MSG
    11 - East Troy, WI
    13 - Chicago, IL/Brooklyn, NY/Seattle, WA
    14 - Stockholm/Oslo
    15 - New York, NY
    16 - New York/Boston
    17 - Brooklyn, NY 
    18 - Seattle/Boston
    22 - MSG/Nashville
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    wear very high heels or platform shoes :tongue:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    From experience I'll tell you whatever sequoia managed to drunkenly stumble into the pit will almost certainly find his way in front of you so the band can hear them the most when those liberal pussies finally play jeremy

no I'm not bitter
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Mike D88 said:
    From experience I'll tell you whatever sequoia managed to drunkenly stumble into the pit will almost certainly find his way in front of you so the band can hear them the most when those liberal pussies finally play jeremy

no I'm not bitter

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Camp 3 days/nights and you may get up front. Being serious. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    It used to feel daunting to stand in the 10c line at 10am for a 7pm show.  You guys have some interesting things you do for fun.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    It used to feel daunting to stand in the 10c line at 10am for a 7pm show.  You guys have some interesting things you do for fun.  
    I have only queued early for a PJ show once. Kansas City 2003. Arrived at 6am and there were already like 20 people in line. That was the whole ‘best of your block’ days. Ended up front row anyway by virtue of a low membership number. I’ve never camped and never will. Just pure speculation at this point given the absolute fanaticism that has increased over the years. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Yeah the most camping i did was standing in the rain from 4am until the ticketmaster window opened. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Mike D88 said:

no I'm not bitter

+1 

Yikes.  Someone is sharing their crabby today.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • HawkeyeJamHawkeyeJam Posts: 209
    Mike D88 said:
    buck502000 said: I

no I'm not bitter
    Im one of those drunken sequoias..

All I'm gonna say is Good Luck!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    HGH, playa!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• wear very high heels or platform shoes :tongue:
    LOL  This is why I like to wear my 6" heels to shows. (Shhh..don't tell my Dr., she would have me committed for wearing heels like that.)
  • jamhead64jamhead64 Posts: 52
    Showbox 2002 6am worked for rail, crazy how things have changed. 
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    See if you can borrow some lifts from Bono.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    edited July 2018
    I wish that was just me being hyperbolic, but that's basically how it happened. Ridiculously tall dude works his way in front of me, then spends the entire show on his phone. Not filming, mind you, texting or something, looking straight down at the phone. And then he only snaps out of it for Jeremy and to boo Ed talking about politics.
    Post edited by Mike D88 on
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    jamhead64 said:
    The showbox is so much smaller.  With the stadium shows, you've got venues that hold 2 to 3 times that of an arena.  The pits are huge and way more people have pit tickets.   Unfortunately that means you're competing with that many more people for rail (or a good spot).   Hence people keep lining up earlier and earlier.
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 691
    Dress like a younger kid and act like you’re searching for your parents. Tell people you got separated from them on the rail & work your way up
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    jamhead64 said:
    Still worked in 2013. It’s only the last couple of years that has gotten out of control.