Options

Standing up in seated sections....

Comments

• Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven't read the thread, so this has likely already been said, but my perspective is that one should pretty much just go with whatever everyone around them is doing. If everyone is standing, stand up... If plenty of people are standing but many are also sitting, do whatever you want and keep your trap shut if you choose to sit while the person in front of you stands, and if everyone is sitting and you're the only one standing, that's your signal to get your ass back in your chair, lol, or at least leave your seat and go up behind the seats, like at the entrance to the section, so you can boogie without being an obstruction. And what that all boils down to is being reasonably considerate of those around you and going with the general flow. It's the burden of being a member of a crowd. You're not completely just an individual when you're part of a crowd, figuratively.
    As for the issue of people who can't stand for one reason or another.... I think that's just too bad, to be blunt. If they can't stand during a show where many others are standing, they should be thinking about how they will make smarter choices when buying tickets going forward.
    Hmmm.....interesting. There are only a limited number of ADA seats available at any show, even fewer when it comes to 10c tickets. So I either have to request ADA seats and hope I make the lottery, or put in for reserved seats and then cross my fingers/deal with the consequences. What kind of "smarter choices" are you referring to? Miss the show? I got shut out of ADA seats for TOTD in Seattle and ended up having to buy reserved seats from someone on Craigslist for a hefty price. Missing the show was NOT an option for me, and thankfully I didn't miss it seeing as what happened last year with Chris.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    PJWGIII said:

ZeldaZonk said:
    Speaking as someone who usually sits the majority of any show, not all of us are able to physically endure standing for three or more hours. I go to multiple shows a month, but I couldn't do it if I had to stand. I shouldn't be expected to "go watch a f*ucking opera" or "stay home and watch on tv" or "go home and watch on youtube". That's pretty rude. I'd love to be able to hang out in GA like most of us would prefer, but it's not in the cards. Yet I don't want to miss out on an amazing live performance and shouldn't be expected to, so the seats are my option. And I'm definitely one of those who dances in the seats, so don't think I'm not having a blast just because I'm not standing. It's just not ideal to be trying to see the show when all you can see are the people's backs and butts in front of you. Watching it on the jumbo screens is NOT the same, but sometimes that's the only way to see. 

And for those who think sitting during a concert is lame, I was at a rock show in Seattle two months ago. It was front row of the balcony, and I had two members of PJ sitting in the same row as me. One was directly next to me on my right, the other was a few seats down on my left side. Do you think either of them stood? NOPE! And out of respect for the guys, that's all I'm going to say about that evening.
    This is completely a valid point of view, but you wouldn't have the expectation that people will sit down, correct?
    Probably not the expectation (depending on the show), but the hope that people around me would be considerate and not selfishly ruin the entire show. 
  • Options
    dingers said:
    Sit if you like but don't be bummed when people stand.  
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    Not much else that I can recall.  Those were nice rest songs, though.
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 
    Well said, thank you.
  • Options
    dingers said:
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    ADA seating is very limited, and it's even harder to get ADA seats from the 10c. The arena can do their best to accommodate someone with regular tickets, but if the show is sold out and all of the ADA seats are accounted for then it becomes a real challenge. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    ZeldaZonk said:
    PJWGIII said:

ZeldaZonk said:
    Speaking as someone who usually sits the majority of any show, not all of us are able to physically endure standing for three or more hours. I go to multiple shows a month, but I couldn't do it if I had to stand. I shouldn't be expected to "go watch a f*ucking opera" or "stay home and watch on tv" or "go home and watch on youtube". That's pretty rude. I'd love to be able to hang out in GA like most of us would prefer, but it's not in the cards. Yet I don't want to miss out on an amazing live performance and shouldn't be expected to, so the seats are my option. And I'm definitely one of those who dances in the seats, so don't think I'm not having a blast just because I'm not standing. It's just not ideal to be trying to see the show when all you can see are the people's backs and butts in front of you. Watching it on the jumbo screens is NOT the same, but sometimes that's the only way to see. 

And for those who think sitting during a concert is lame, I was at a rock show in Seattle two months ago. It was front row of the balcony, and I had two members of PJ sitting in the same row as me. One was directly next to me on my right, the other was a few seats down on my left side. Do you think either of them stood? NOPE! And out of respect for the guys, that's all I'm going to say about that evening.
    This is completely a valid point of view, but you wouldn't have the expectation that people will sit down, correct?
    Probably not the expectation (depending on the show), but the hope that people around me would be considerate and not selfishly ruin the entire show. 
    If I was in row one I would swap seats with you, happily....but otherwise I don't know if I would sit down.  That would ruin my show.  Not sure why you have to have it your way or everyone else is selfish.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ZeldaZonk said:
    PJWGIII said:

ZeldaZonk said:

If I was in row one I would swap seats with you, happily....but otherwise I don't know if I would sit down.  That would ruin my show.  Not sure why you have to have it your way or everyone else is selfish.

It's not a matter of "having my way". It's a matter of being considerate for those around you who may not be able to stand for an entire show. If I knew that I was disrupting someone's view, I'd feel horrible and wouldn't be able to enjoy myself. But that's just me......
  • Options
    ZeldaZonk said:
    PJWGIII said:

ZeldaZonk said:

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    ZeldaZonk said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    PJWGIII said:

ZeldaZonk said:

It's not a matter of "having my way". It's a matter of being considerate for those around you who may not be able to stand for an entire show. If I knew that I was disrupting someone's view, I'd feel horrible and wouldn't be able to enjoy myself. But that's just me......
    But you would be fine disrupting someone in front of you with their view or experience?
    I'm not saying I blame you for your perspective but when we get floor seats by lottery and my wife can't see anything we don't ask people to sit down.  It is what it is.  She might as well look the the opposite direction.
    We didn't ask for floor seats but we wanted to see the show and put in for tickets.  Didn't know they were floor until we picked them up before the show.

• Options
    mace1229 said:p
    dingers said:

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    Playing devils advocate, but what if you have a hidden disability and dont want to be in a "disabled section" or want any special treatment?Or what if you simply have trouble standing?
    You don’t want special treatment, but want to make others sit when they want to stand?
    10c made it very clear GA was very limited, so the argument that if you want to stand go with GA doesn’t hold up.

i don’t think there’s a perfect answer do the exceptions. I’ve never sat at a PJ show and don’t plan to. I’d feel bad if the person behind me has a physical disability preventing them from standing. But as others said, there are accommodations for that. If you are to ashamed to ask for those accommodations then I guess it isn’t fair to ask someone to sit.
    sometimes they may not be available or whatever, and if someone told me they physically couldn’t stand then I may switch with them.
    But how is that any different from me being 5’9” getting stuck behind someone 6’6” in GA?

Last time i stood in seating i had a chat with people behind me to make sure they were going to stand and if not then i was going to offer to swap seats. Just taking care of those nearby really.

I think its stupid to sit at a gig in the same way i stand at football matches as i physically cant sit down because its too exciting.

BUT and this is the big but here, its not fair for anyone to assume anything about the people around them. If someone asks you to sit down then you can ask them to swap or ask them if they want to stand up. Standing in front of someone who has asked you to sit is so arrogant and not in the spirit id expect with PJ fans.

There is no perfect solution but being considerate of your neighbour isnt an unfair thing to ask.

Seems like the OP didnt make any provision, was asked to sit and almost told them to fuck off. That's so out of order. 

Rock gig or not. Just consider others may have issues and be nice to people. Its not that tough is it
    I'd made plenty of provision, I sat for 26 of the 33 songs!  I wasn't rude to the guy, didn't raise my voice, wasn't drunk or aggressive.  In fact I was much more civil to him with my words than he was to me.  If he'd cared to look around the block he was sitting in, most people were standing.  He certainly didn't consider whether I might have needed to stand up for any reason, he just presumed it was his right to tell me to sit down.  He didn't speak to me before the show and ask if I was planning on standing at all and voice his concerns.  And what if he did?  If I'd gone to a steward and said the guy is trying to make me sit all night, he would have said it's in the terms and conditions that you're allowed to stand.

In terms of you being offended (presumably) by my use of the word 'victim', I was boiling the argument down to its bare bones, and certainly didn't mean to imply that people with disabilities are victims, so hands up, my bad.  What I was trying to say in a hamfisted way, is that your moral argument would never be able to accommodate everyone.  There are no end of issues that people could potentially have, and the venue do their best to accommodate them.  I have first hand experience of that with family members and friends who have had to be re-seated due to medical issues, and it has never been a problem, even at well sold-out shows.

In fact I have an example where the boot was on the other foot.  My sister and I bought my parents tickets to see Adele at the O2, when my sister's friend pulled out I decided to go(honest story, don't judge!).  We had seats way up in the gods, at the back, when we got there my mum had a panic attack because of the height, and to cut a long story short we got reseated on the floor right by the stage (it was an all seated show).  People sat for virtually all of the night, which is totally to be expected given the type of songs Adele sings.  There was, however, a woman who stood for the entire show, and was blocking a lot of people's views.  Over the course of the night around ten people went and asked her to sit down, including my sister.  In turns out she had not long had a baby, and had developed some sort of problem with her lower back and it was painful to sit.  So who is in the right?  I don't know whose entitlement trumps who's?  

My feeling last night was that I'd sat down for the majority of the show, they were playing some of the more energetic songs, it was nearing the end, and most people were standing up.  

And to think I thought he was tapping me on the back to congratulate me on getting the song played!
    Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. That was more considered than previous replies and makes a lot more sense now. :)

Maybe this guy was just a curmudgeon and a bit of a knob. Probably a good thing you stood in his way hahaha  =)
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Options
    fizzyadefizzyade Posts: 5
    ZeldaZonk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven't read the thread, so this has likely already been said, but my perspective is that one should pretty much just go with whatever everyone around them is doing. If everyone is standing, stand up... If plenty of people are standing but many are also sitting, do whatever you want and keep your trap shut if you choose to sit while the person in front of you stands, and if everyone is sitting and you're the only one standing, that's your signal to get your ass back in your chair, lol, or at least leave your seat and go up behind the seats, like at the entrance to the section, so you can boogie without being an obstruction. And what that all boils down to is being reasonably considerate of those around you and going with the general flow. It's the burden of being a member of a crowd. You're not completely just an individual when you're part of a crowd, figuratively.
    As for the issue of people who can't stand for one reason or another.... I think that's just too bad, to be blunt. If they can't stand during a show where many others are standing, they should be thinking about how they will make smarter choices when buying tickets going forward.
    Hmmm.....interesting. There are only a limited number of ADA seats available at any show, even fewer when it comes to 10c tickets. So I either have to request ADA seats and hope I make the lottery, or put in for reserved seats and then cross my fingers/deal with the consequences. What kind of "smarter choices" are you referring to? Miss the show? I got shut out of ADA seats for TOTD in Seattle and ended up having to buy reserved seats from someone on Craigslist for a hefty price. Missing the show was NOT an option for me, and thankfully I didn't miss it seeing as what happened last year with Chris.
    This 100%. This is the same situation as me for the second night.  No accessible seats available but general seating was, if I wanted to go then I had no choice but to take these seats.

Unless people have tried to buy accessible tickets themselves, I think it's hard to understand how difficult it can be.  Here in the UK it's rare to be able to buy them online, usually you have to phone a special number and pray that there are some left by the time somebody answers.

I've been to venues (small ones) where there is literally one or two spaces in the entire place for wheelchair users!
  • Options
    wishlisa76wishlisa76 Sweden Posts: 806
    edited July 2018
    I had seats to my first PJ show and I stood up as soon as the band entered the stage and so did everyone else. This was in Stockholm 2012 and that night was crazy. Nobody say down in that arena.  I take it for granted that you can stand up even when you have seats as this is Pearl Jam, it’s not a work meeting or a movie night, it’s Pearl Jam. If someone can’t stand due to health reasons, I understand that but there might be seats for this, there are seats for disabled for example or seats where you can sit without getting your view blocked. My seats in 2012 was on row 1, so I could have sat down and still would be able to see. Sometimes you have to work for what you want and consider that other people might do stuff you don’t like, so you will have to put in some work to find a seat where you can sit down without getting blocked.
    Post edited by wishlisa76 on
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"

PJ in Stockholm, Sweden, 7th July 2012. EV solo in London, 31st July 2012. PJ in Stockholm 28th of June 2014. PJ in Milton Keynes UK, 11th of July 2014, Eddie solo in London 6th of June 2017. PJ London 18th of June, 2018, and 17th of July, 2018.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    deadendp said:

Wrigley 1 2016. Pretty much everyone was standing the entire time.   
    I concur. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 341
    edited July 2018
    So for Wrigley night one section 138 and night 2 section 14, can we all agree we are all standing, other than row one where we don’t care what you do? Great, thanks. 

i know my dad, for example, has had knee replacements/back surgery  etc, that make it difficult from him to sit for a long time and even more difficult to get up after doing so. He’s also tall, so I assume it’s at least uncomfortable for other tall or big people to squeeze into an old, tiny Wrigley field seat.  It works both ways. Everyone can’t be accommodated in every situation. As long as everyone is civil and knows what they’re getting into at a rock show, I don’t see a problem. 
    Post edited by GM151575 on
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited July 2018
    Entitled?  See my previous com0ment, what if I couldn't sit for too long?
    Now you are being facetious. If you need to stand you walk to the foyer.

Im glad you had a good night at someone elses expence. Well done.

Im done here.
    Why couldn’t the person who needs to sit go grab a seat in the foyer, too? 

And He’s not being facetious.. Quite a few folks with back issues CANT sit for extended periods. 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    RC74272RC74272 Posts: 25
    PJ is a high intensity gig, you know before buying tickets that people will stand for most if not the whole show.

I have back issues so need to be seated but if people around me stand en-masse then that's just as expected.

You take the risk that your view will then become restricted - if its going to ruin the evening then I guess front row seats is the only way forward but that of course is very hard to secure at face value for the popular gigs. 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I'm going to sit Indian style in Wrigley night 2 GA.  Who's with me?!?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Criss-cross Applesauce.
    Kids are not allowed to say Indian Style any longer.
    lol
  • Options
    Criss-cross Applesauce.
    Kids are not allowed to say Indian Style any longer.
    lol
    yeah yeah yeah....and everyone gets a trophy too lol
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    No shit.  And everyone needs to sit down at concerts.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    go with the flow. do whats right under the circumstances. if most people are standing stand  if not i sit and enjoy the show either way. and if you are the only one clapping out of 18000 people please stop its annoying.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    If the people in front of me are standing, I stand. If they are sitting, I sit. If it's a song I really want to get into, I'll stand up and sit when it's over. That said, I don't think I've ever sat at a PJ show.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited July 2018
    KC138045 said:
    Maybe you should lead Simon Says in the GA...
    Simon says everyone sit... Simon says everyone stand... everyone sit!!  Ahhh, got you!!
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:
    KC138045 said:
    Maybe you should lead Simon Says in the GA...
    Simon says everyone sit... Simon says everyone stand... everyone sit!!  Ahhh, got you!!
    Maybe we could play duck duck goose also 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,012
    I say stand...if someone else doesn't want to, that is on them. They shouldn't ask someone in front of them to sit if that is their choice.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Pretty surprised at the comments in this thread. Sitting at a rock concert? Weak. Now if you have a disability, do you...but don’t make others do you too.

I was in a pretty lame section for PJ in Hampton (bought tix late on a whim). People were sitting around me. I was in the last row thankfully so o stood with no guilt.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    At GCF, I sat on the ground for most of the acts.  They sucked ass and were boring. 
    Still upset for my wife for crapping on the backstage VIP 1 tickets!  ;)
  • Options
    ME68701ME68701 Hershey, PA Posts: 103
    I've never been to a Pearl Jam show where people were sitting.  At least that I noticed.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited July 2018
    ZeldaZonk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well sure, go for ADA seats whenever possible. Otherwise, try for seats on the balcony rail, or on the edge of the aisle so you can see down the stairs. No, it never occurred to me that missing the show should cross one's mind. As others have said, there is never harm in asking people to sit for some good reason, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to when that's not the vibe of the show.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    PJ_Soul said:
    Exactly this. If everyone stands, I’ll gladly stand, if everyone sits, I’ll keep seated. The only thing that bothers me when on my seat while only the two people in front of me stand is that if I stand then the same thing happens for the neighbours in the back. As a young adult I would never sit but therefore always took GA. Now I mix it up between GA and seated. While I understand the rock concert argument it’s really about courtesy to me. If I couldn’t stand being seated then I would still take GA every time.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    At GCF, I sat on the ground for most of the acts.  They sucked ass and were boring. 
    Still upset for my wife for crapping on the backstage VIP 1 tickets!  ;)

I'll bet you were dancing your @$$ off during Beyoncé though!! :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170