MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,147
    Pedro ,= best Latino SP ever.  Nobody is close.
    Marichal 
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I will not agree as Marichal was an friggin beast back in a friendly hitters era.
    I agree on Marichal being a beast in his day, but it's not like Pedro didn't pitch in a HR hitting era with all of the PED users he faced. And, he dominated. Just looking at each pitchers stats , Pedro has more Bold numbers then Marichal. Not a knock on Marichal as he had a hell of a career, but Pedro is the best for me.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I will not agree as Marichal was an friggin beast back in a friendly hitters era.
    Marichal was amazing, but I don't see how the hitters were better in JM's era.  Pedro pitched to steroid fueled monsters and was more dominant in his era. 
    JM himself says Pedro is better.  I know they are good friends and that Pedro idolized Juan....but I stand by Pedro being who I vote for as the clear #1 for Latin pitchers.  Pedro has amazing career highlights, including 3 Cy Young awards.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    So...

Bird Grand Salami.  Big Yanks win.

Sale is amazing as usual.  He through a back door slider on a batter that was just sick.  I'll take him over anyone else in the league, even DeGrom.

Marichal was amazing, but I don't see how the hitters were better in JM's era.  Pedro pitched to steroid fueled monsters and was more dominant in his era. 
    JM himself says Pedro is better.  I know they are good friends and that Pedro idolized Juan....but I stand by Pedro being who I vote for as the clear #1 for Latin pitchers.  Pedro has amazing career highlights, including 3 Cy Young awards.  
    You forget that the mound was lowered and that altered the pitchers' reign over batters.  It's not that the hitters were better, they just had a better advantage after the mound was lowered.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    You forget that the mound was lowered and that altered the pitchers' reign over batters.  It's not that the hitters were better, they just had a better advantage after the mound was lowered.
    Ah, end result would be the same, would it not?  That the pitchers had a tougher task when Petey threw the ball?
    They are both great, we certainly agree on that.
    When thinking about the best pitcher I ever saw throw, in person, I think Pedro is my answer.
    I saw Nolan, Stewart, Carlton, Clemens, Gooden, Maddux, Randy Johnson, Glavine, Smoltz, and many others...I would say that even though I couldn't stand him when he played that I think Pedro was the best out of those.  I know his stats are not better than some of them but I would roll him out there for 1 start vs. any of those dudes.  I think he battled and he evolved in a pretty significant way and was one of the best ever.  (Too early to say on the current crop we are seeing like Kershaw and Verlander)

BTW, I hate the Red Sox.
    Ah, end result would be the same, would it not?  That the pitchers had a tougher task when Petey threw the ball?
    When thinking about the best pitcher I ever saw throw, in person, I think Pedro is my answer.
    I saw Nolan, Stewart, Carlton, Clemens, Gooden, Maddux, Randy Johnson, Glavine, Smoltz, and many others...I would say that even though I couldn't stand him when he played that I think Pedro was the best out of those.  I know his stats are not better than some of them but I would roll him out there for 1 start vs. any of those dudes.  I think he battled and he evolved in a pretty significant way and was one of the best ever.  (Too early to say on the current crop we are seeing like Kershaw and Verlander)

BTW, I hate the Red Sox.
    Here is the reason why I see it as different.

You are used to doing something and having an advantage with it but then that advantage is taken away and you have to adapt to the changes.

Ol' Petey never had to go through that though.  The mound was always 10" from the time he was in little league and until now.

As for best pitchers I've seen?  Maddux, Johnson and Clemens.  Nolan Ryan doesn't even make my top 10.  He was fun to watch but no where near one of the best in my opinion.
  • So...

Sale is amazing as usual.  He through a back door slider on a batter that was just sick.  I'll take him over anyone else in the league, even DeGrom.

Even DeGrom?

You think he's better than Scherzer? Or Kluber? I won't mention Kershaw given his status right now.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just curious to what you think there? He's really good, but I'd even have Cole and maybe even Snell over him at this point in time. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Bash Brothers v2.0
    Francisco Lindor & Jose Ramirez are having incredible years!

First teammates in MLB history under the age of 25 to have 25 HR before the All-Star break.
    Only the second pair of teammates, any age, to have 25 HR & 25 2B before the All-Star break (Pujols & Edmonds, 2003)
    On pace to become only the second pair of teammates ever to hit 90+ XBH in a season (Ruth & Gehrig, 1927)

BTW, I hate the Red Sox.
    Here is the reason why I see it as different.

You are used to doing something and having an advantage with it but then that advantage is taken away and you have to adapt to the changes.

Ol' Petey never had to go through that though.  The mound was always 10" from the time he was in little league and until now.

As for best pitchers I've seen?  Maddux, Johnson and Clemens.  Nolan Ryan doesn't even make my top 10.  He was fun to watch but no where near one of the best in my opinion.
    Some good points.  Since it is an opinion thing and we will never know -- we can both be right in our opinions.  :)
    Same for best pitchers seen...I popped Ryan in there as I was just thinking of great ones.  Saw Maddux, Johnson, and Clemens many times each.  Probably Clemens the most consistently throughout his career - going to Fenway for "home" games as a youth I saw him a lot.  He was a cheater so I move him down a few notches (no judgement, I would take steroids if they put/kept me in the majors...in the blink of an eye) and Ol' Petey stays up top.
    Favorite pitcher to see live?  That is easier, for me -- Jose Rijo.  Being a Redlegs fan, he was the shit for a short period of time.  Dibble was fun for me as well.  Favorite does not in any way equate to best.  Tom Browning was fun from the perspective of speed pitching.  As soon as he got the ball back from the catcher he was in a hurry to throw that pitch.  Unusual and cool.
    Bash Brothers v2.0

First teammates in MLB history under the age of 25 to have 25 HR before the All-Star break.
    Only the second pair of teammates, any age, to have 25 HR & 25 2B before the All-Star break (Pujols & Edmonds, 2003)
    On pace to become only the second pair of teammates ever to hit 90+ XBH in a season (Ruth & Gehrig, 1927)
    Amazing stuff.  They destroyed my Reds yesterday.
    So...

Even DeGrom?

You think he's better than Scherzer? Or Kluber? I won't mention Kershaw given his status right now.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just curious to what you think there? He's really good, but I'd even have Cole and maybe even Snell over him at this point in time. 
    DATEOPPIP HERBBKDEC
    7/11Tex7.0 6  0112W
    7/6@KC6.0 5  1112W
    6/30@NYY7.0 1  0111W
    6/24Sea7.0 4  0113W
    6/19@Min7.0 3  2111 ND
    6/13@Bal6.0 2  149W
    6/8CWS8.0 6  1110L
    6/1@Hou6.0 6  416L
    Mr Sales last 8 games.  He had 2 losses with only giving up a run and a ND also giving up a stingy run.

Sale has a lower WHIP, more K's and less hits than DeGrom.  I do know that DeGrom has a minuscule era but I have liked Sale over the last 8 games.

As for Kluber and Sherzer I'm pretty sure Sale has all the boxes ticked sans one against those two.

I really like what Sale has been doing.  A few weeks ago I'd have said Verlander because he was lights out every game but now Sale is.

In a few weeks it might change.

DeGrom is just a sad thing to watch with the team he is on.  It's kind of like Cartlon and that Phillies team he was on where he had 26 W and they had only 40 for the year but the biggest difference is that Degrom doesn't win because the Mets are just so bad.

• So...

Even DeGrom?

DATEOPPIP HERBBKDEC
    7/11Tex7.0 6  0112W
    7/6@KC6.0 5  1112W
    6/30@NYY7.0 1  0111W
    6/24Sea7.0 4  0113W
    6/19@Min7.0 3  2111 ND
    6/13@Bal6.0 2  149W
    6/8CWS8.0 6  1110L
    6/1@Hou6.0 6  416L
    Mr Sales last 8 games.  He had 2 losses with only giving up a run and a ND also giving up a stingy run.

Sale has a lower WHIP, more K's and less hits than DeGrom.  I do know that DeGrom has a minuscule era but I have liked Sale over the last 8 games.

As for Kluber and Sherzer I'm pretty sure Sale has all the boxes ticked sans one against those two.

I really like what Sale has been doing.  A few weeks ago I'd have said Verlander because he was lights out every game but now Sale is.

DeGrom is just a sad thing to watch with the team he is on.  It's kind of like Cartlon and that Phillies team he was on where he had 26 W and they had only 40 for the year but the biggest difference is that Degrom doesn't win because the Mets are just so bad.

Sale is awesome. You don't have to sell me on him.

I was just curious as to your endorsement of DeGrom over some other pitchers.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    So...

Even DeGrom?

DATEOPPIP HERBBKDEC
    7/11Tex7.0 6  0112W
    7/6@KC6.0 5  1112W
    6/30@NYY7.0 1  0111W
    6/24Sea7.0 4  0113W
    6/19@Min7.0 3  2111 ND
    6/13@Bal6.0 2  149W
    6/8CWS8.0 6  1110L
    6/1@Hou6.0 6  416L

Sale is awesome. You don't have to sell me on him.

I was just curious as to your endorsement of DeGrom over some other pitchers.
    Gotcha.

He is hitting a groove right now where it's really great to watch him pitch.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Bash Brothers v2.0

And they are infielders, who are plus defenders.  JR has 19 stolen bases while Frankie has 13. These guys are true five tool players. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Matheny out as Cards manager
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Two players in MLB history have had:

18 HR, 18 2B, 18 SB, 5 3B before the AS break.

Willie Mays
    Javier Baez
    RHYS!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    RHYS!
    and nice job Schwarber :clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Current Cub vs. future Cub??
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    Good to see the rule doesn’t apply to Harper.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited July 2018
    I noticed that too...the timing wasnt even close and is was blatantly obvious! But it was still an exciting comeback and finale. 

*EDIT - Does anyone know if that rule has ever been enforced? 
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    it was entertaining.  Bryce Harper's dad is pretty jacked!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I was completely entertained.

Bregman in the first round was exciting where his last two shots just missed going over.

Harper was killing it.

It was very upsetting to not see the likes of JD Martinez, Trout or Judge in there...

What about a skills competition?  Throwing laser like throw or practicing an acrobatic throw in the infield?

Thoughts?
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Come on he had to win, they couldn't let his super cool jazzersize outfit go to waste. :sick::rofl:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Come on he had to win, they couldn't let his super cool jazzersize outfit go to waste. :sick::rofl:
    When I saw him come out I stood up and saluted!
    Oh he came out alright.....little TMI on the saluted part though.....

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    If u didn't salute him u ain't merican enuff fer me...

northerndragon said: moo
    If u didn't salute him u ain't merican enuff fer me...

I'm not American at all. So I got that going for me. =)

Are people really that up in arms about the ball not landing before the next pitch?  Like, really?  Who gives a crap.  I say hit them as rapidly as you can.  If you can hit another home run before the previous one even lands, that's some damn good mechanics!  Let 'em fly!