MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• I have not been a part of this thread, but I just want to gloat at my exceptional fortune in my dynasty fantasy baseball league: I picked up Soto on mere speculation a month and a half ago... and within two weeks... he's called up... and wow!

Rock on, Juan. Rock on!
    Wait until Robles comes up!
    Got to hand it to that team for promoting younger talent faster than other clubs.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    OK so I watched the Yankees game and "heard" Judge hit the ball.  As soon as I heard the crack I knew it was gone.  

Listening to Buck O'neil describe the "crack" of the bat and I get it.  He mentioned the greats whom he had heard it before.

So Torres comes up and I hear that "crack" again.  Home, Run...

I last heard this when Josh Hamilton was hitting a ball.  He frigginn killed the ball.

Am I nuts to hear a difference when a batter puts good wood on the ball?

Does anyone else hear this too?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    OK so I watched the Yankees game and "heard" Judge hit the ball.  As soon as I heard the crack I knew it was gone.  

Listening to Buck O'neil describe the "crack" of the bat and I get it.  He mentioned the greats whom he had heard it before.

I last heard this when Josh Hamilton was hitting a ball.  He frigginn killed the ball.

Heard the Torres one from the next room 

I'm not nuts though, it IS a different sound, right?

And for the record I LOVE Severino.  I've invested a bunch in his cards.  Where's Mickey Lipp?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

It's the audio that ESPN uses I think.  I watch every Indians game and the crack I'm hearing tonight doesn't sound like any other local sportscast.  Tribe had 11 doubles and 3 or 4 homers today and not one of them cracked like that..  and these were 400 foot shots.  
    edited July 2018
    Shift rules. The best rule possible is 4 people gotta be touching the dirt. It’s perfect. Baseball has 4 infielders

edit: said it before buster 
    Shift rules. The best rule possible is 4 people gotta be touching the dirt. It’s perfect. Baseball has 4 infielders

Only if you are saying that vs. the outfield grass.  3rd and/or 1st baseman need to be able to play in for a bunt.  

I don't like the shifts either.  But what is the problem statement that we're trying to solve?  Are runs per game down?  I didn't think so.  The shift is leading to hitters trying to elevate the ball which is leading to more strikeouts.  Is that what we want to stop...all the strikeouts?  I don't think we want to curb home runs.  Everyone loves that.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

I'm not nuts though, it IS a different sound, right?

And for the record I LOVE Severino.  I've invested a bunch in his cards.  Where's Mickey Lipp?
    You're not crazy, no.

And I've never been a Yankees fan but I've also never been a Yankees hater, either.  It's really hard not to like these young players the Yanks have.  Judge, Didi, Torres (former Cub), Severino.  Amazing talent in those guys and they seem to be awesome off the field, too.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Solution for shift is to see more people bunt/slap against them.  People want to hit homers, though.  Ridiculous.
    I don't see how you can outlaw it -- guys just need to focus on 'hitting it where they aint'.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Solution for shift is to see more people bunt/slap against them.  People want to hit homers, though.  Ridiculous.
    I don't see how you can outlaw it -- guys just need to focus on 'hitting it where they aint'.
    That's right.. hell, we learned how to drive the ball the other way at 12 years old.  Just close that stance, or move up in the box.  There are certain fundamentals that are better executed in high school and college than in the MLB these days.  Bunting is one of those, particularly in the junior circuit.  It's just terrible watching these guys do it.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mrussel1 said:
    That's right.. hell, we learned how to drive the ball the other way at 12 years old.  Just close that stance, or move up in the box.  There are certain fundamentals that are better executed in high school and college than in the MLB these days.  Bunting is one of those, particularly in the junior circuit.  It's just terrible watching these guys do it.  
    Saw someone bunt with 2 strikes and the shift on against them last week when we went to Phillies/Yankees.  It was a Phillie but I forget who.  They could have walked to first.
    If I were a hitter it would frustrate me enough to see the fielders camped where I tended to hit the ball and taking away lots of hits to bunt/slap for a while. 
    edited July 2018
    Especially if you're winning the game already.  Watch how quickly the defensive team gets butt-hurt because of some stupid "unwritten rule" that you don't try to get more men on base when you're already up.  Don't like it, don't shift.
    mrussel1 said:
    The thing is, these guys have literally never bunted in their lives.  Not trying to make excuses but these guys were always the best of the best in every league they have ever played in and would never really have been asked to bunt.
    mrussel1 said:
    The thing is, these guys have literally never bunted in their lives.  Not trying to make excuses but these guys were always the best of the best in every league they have ever played in and would never really have been asked to bunt.
    Hasn't that always been true of major league players?  And they used to be able to bunt.  I feel like it's up to the farm system to continue working on the fundamentals so they are better prepared for the show.  I also have seen a deterioration in base running fundamentals.  You see runners failing to pick up the third base coach when the ball is behind them ALL the time now.  They are head down running.  I wonder if they are more concerned about their OPS.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hasn't that always been true of major league players?  And they used to be able to bunt.  I feel like it's up to the farm system to continue working on the fundamentals so they are better prepared for the show.  I also have seen a deterioration in base running fundamentals.  You see runners failing to pick up the third base coach when the ball is behind them ALL the time now.  They are head down running.  I wonder if they are more concerned about their OPS.  
    Fair point. 
    mrussel1 said:

Only if you are saying that vs. the outfield grass.  3rd and/or 1st baseman need to be able to play in for a bunt.  

I don't like the shifts either.  But what is the problem statement that we're trying to solve?  Are runs per game down?  I didn't think so.  The shift is leading to hitters trying to elevate the ball which is leading to more strikeouts.  Is that what we want to stop...all the strikeouts?  I don't think we want to curb home runs.  Everyone loves that.  
    outfield grass for sure.  No more of that softball beer league extra outfielder in MLB.

I think the issue is a lack of base runners and hits.  No?  Not curb home runs, but more action on the bases. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    mrussel1 said:

outfield grass for sure.  No more of that softball beer league extra outfielder in MLB.

I think the issue is a lack of base runners and hits.  No?  Not curb home runs, but more action on the bases. 
    But are all the dirt infields the same size?  For some reason i thought before they weren't necessarily uniform.  if you are going to have a shift rule I think the rule should be you need to have 2 guys left of 2nd base and 2 guys right of 2nd base in the infield. they can move over to almost 2nd base but they can't go past it.  like the DH  the infield shifts are just bad for the game. 
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:

But are all the dirt infields the same size?  For some reason i thought before they weren't necessarily uniform.  if you are going to have a shift rule I think the rule should be you need to have 2 guys left of 2nd base and 2 guys right of 2nd base in the infield. they can move over to almost 2nd base but they can't go past it.  like the DH  the infield shifts are just bad for the game. 
    Yeah, because it was so much fun to watch pitchers bat last week at CBP.  

I assume they are all the same size, but I don't know.  I don't love the 2 sides of the infield thing.  I don't know why, but it just kinda feels like it goes against something.
    Wee Willie Keller said that.
    Wee Willie Keller said that.
    I always liked that saying. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:

I assume they are all the same size, but I don't know.  I don't love the 2 sides of the infield thing.  I don't know why, but it just kinda feels like it goes against something.
    i threw that DH thing in there specifically for you.  must have sucked to have your manager actually have to make a decision during a game.

agree on the outfield thing that you said.  it's annoying to see a 2nd baseman playing short right field.  i'm kind of on the fence about putting in a rule to be honest. i go back and forth on it.  i hate that they might have to but the shift is killing the single.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:

i threw that DH thing in there specifically for you.  must have sucked to have your manager actually have to make a decision during a game.

agree on the outfield thing that you said.  it's annoying to see a 2nd baseman playing short right field.  i'm kind of on the fence about putting in a rule to be honest. i go back and forth on it.  i hate that they might have to but the shift is killing the single.
    I am the DH guy round these parts, so fair.  It did suck.  It sucked the most for you guys. Think I remember a scenario where you got 2 on with 2 outs early on and boom, inning over.  What fun is that?

Yeah, man.  How many times are old school singles snagged up these days.  SINGLE UP THE MID....nope an out.  Yanks do pretty well with that, but yeah. I don't know what the solution is, but would definitely like more hits.  
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm not a fan of that idea either.

Let them shift and let the batter do
    A- hit the other way or
    B- lay down a bunt

Hell when they did it to Ted Williams he took it as an insult and hit at them in the shift, sometime bunting and STILL hit .406!
    I hate bunting.  I hate pitchers batting. Bronx Bombers, baby.  None of this small ball crap.

JD Martinez and Judge are never going to bunt.  It's just not going to happen.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I believe bonds had one sac bunt in his 20 year career.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I hate bunting.  I hate pitchers batting. Bronx Bombers, baby.  None of this small ball crap.

They also aren't pulling a shift on them either.

I do miss the art of the stolen base though.  Give me Vince Coleman in his first 3 years any day!
    Michael Lorenzen homered in 3 straight at-bats, including a grand slam as a pinch-hitter last week.  Anthony DeSclafani, another Reds pitcher, hit a grand slam against the Cubs last Sunday.  Jon Lester had the GWRBI with a 3-run shot in the 2nd yesterday and leads all ML pitchers with 7 RBI.  Max Scherzer is batting .250 and tied for the ML lead with 9 hits as a pitcher, Zach Greinke (also 9 hits) has a .300/.364/.400/.764 slash line with 3 walks and 2 stolen bases, German Marquez has 9 hits for the Rockies.

Fuck the DH.

They also aren't pulling a shift on them either.

I do miss the art of the stolen base though.  Give me Vince Coleman in his first 3 years any day!
    This has been a big change in baseball too.  You no longer have light hitting speed guys in the lineup.  They are a dead breed.  So you have bad bunting, no base stealing and bad moving of the runners from station to station.  Vince Coleman probably wouldn't get a sniff anymore.  Kenny Lofton may not have as well.  Lead off guys hit for power.  
    mrussel1 said:

I agree that the lack of base runners sucks.  The other day the Tribe had two hits... two solo shots by Lindor and Ramirez.  Ton of outfield fly outs.  
    My favorite team, the Redlegs, are 16-6 since June 10, tied for best record in the bigs.  Their pitching is dogshit....but a fun team that I thought was going to finish how they started.  Not the case.
    Makes it fun.