U.S. National Parks thread

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    Actual NPs I have only been to a few, we tend to visit the National Forest/Monument/Recreation Area/State Parks/etc adjacent to the NPs because the crowds are non-existent.

Rocky Mountain NP I have been to 6 times, never gets old.  Hope to climb Long's Peak someday with my boy.  Bugling Elk is a lifelist item.

Grand Canyon, did a drive by of south rim on way to North Rim.  Absolutely gorgeous, particularly on the North Rim.  Lake Powell (not NP) was almost as good, Vermilion Cliffs was great, Horseshoe bend was great, and the best view was east rim of Grand Canyon looking out at the plains toward Corado Canyon.  The land is flatter than you can make sense of and the canyon cuts into it vertically like a scar on the land.  Incredible.

Lived in Tucson but didn't enter Saguaro NP because they are everywhere and it isn't remarkable otherwise.  Mt Lemon was sweet.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison we drove along for quite some time and skirted the NP because the best spots are outside the NP zone anyways.

GSMNP is a tourist trap.  We have been, but there's nothing there better than what you find nearby in Cherokee, Nantahela, and Pisgah NFs, but they are all less crowded.

Shenandoah was underwhelming compared to the previously mentioned.

None of my very favourite places are in NPs, so here are some honorary mentions:
    Black Balsam, Pisgah NF
    Mt Evans and Poudre canyon, Colorado
    Bonneville Salt Flats
    Pyramid Lake, Nevada
    Seneca Rocks, WV
    Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands, VA
    Max Patch and Roan Highlands, TN NC border.

I look forward to visiting Yosemite, Glacier, Alaska, and Rainier someday.

Nothing in the states compares to the Alps though, except maybe Yosemite, won't know until I go.
    Seneca Rocks is awesome.  I haven't been there since I winter camped in college for an Adventure Sports class.  We hiked up the trail to top of the crag, also went up to Spruce Knob & Dolly Sods.

I only live an hour, hour & a half away.  Should get out there more.

Also this thread made me realize I have never visited a single National Park.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    I live an hour from Cuyahoga Valley NP but I've never been, it's basically the laughing stock of NPs.
    Why do you think it's the laughing stock of NPs?

Because it is lol 
    If you read Backpacker magazine or go any deeper into outdoor adventure communities you will always find people dismissive of it.  There have even been campaigns to get it, and a few of the other underwhelming NPs demoted to divert the resources to better parks or create new ones where more spectacular lands need protection.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    Actual NPs I have only been to a few, we tend to visit the National Forest/Monument/Recreation Area/State Parks/etc adjacent to the NPs because the crowds are non-existent.

Rocky Mountain NP I have been to 6 times, never gets old.  Hope to climb Long's Peak someday with my boy.  Bugling Elk is a lifelist item.

Grand Canyon, did a drive by of south rim on way to North Rim.  Absolutely gorgeous, particularly on the North Rim.  Lake Powell (not NP) was almost as good, Vermilion Cliffs was great, Horseshoe bend was great, and the best view was east rim of Grand Canyon looking out at the plains toward Corado Canyon.  The land is flatter than you can make sense of and the canyon cuts into it vertically like a scar on the land.  Incredible.

Lived in Tucson but didn't enter Saguaro NP because they are everywhere and it isn't remarkable otherwise.  Mt Lemon was sweet.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison we drove along for quite some time and skirted the NP because the best spots are outside the NP zone anyways.

GSMNP is a tourist trap.  We have been, but there's nothing there better than what you find nearby in Cherokee, Nantahela, and Pisgah NFs, but they are all less crowded.

None of my very favourite places are in NPs, so here are some honorary mentions:
    Black Balsam, Pisgah NF
    Bonneville Salt Flats
    Pyramid Lake, Nevada
    Seneca Rocks, WV

Nothing in the states compares to the Alps though, except maybe Yosemite, won't know until I go.
    Seneca Rocks is awesome.  I haven't been there since I winter camped in college for an Adventure Sports class.  We hiked up the trail to top of the crag, also went up to Spruce Knob & Dolly Sods.

There is some crazy ass shit to see in this big country of ours.  Driving coast to coast is a strong suggestion for anyone.  You can see the incredible diversity in a small amount of time.  (And lots of parks as well if on your radar!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    rgambs said:

Black Balsam, Pisgah NF
    Bonneville Salt Flats
    Pyramid Lake, Nevada
    Seneca Rocks, WV

You live that close?? You should go a few times a year!! Great area.  Love the Soda, Seneca Shadows campground is one of the best in the nation.
    Can't recommend this high enough:
    https://www.nrocks.com/activities/via-ferrata/

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    Wow, you fine people have not disappointed! It seems like these NP destinations are something people are either all in or all out of.

We went to the Great Smoky Mountains 5 years ago and enjoyed ourselves. But I found it to be a bit too touristy for my liking. 

Then 3 years ago, we did a plan on the fly trip to Yellowstone. At that point, we still hadn't developed quite the love for the national parks we now have. Because the trip was planned on the fly, we were low on money and only had 8 days to drive there and back, we missed  out on A LOT!

We left Yellowstone completely awestruck and eager to share our stories with anyone who would listen...or pretend to listen. But, as I said, we did all that traveling on short notice. And seeing so many national parks had not really became something we planned on wanting to do. Alas, we drove (sorry, I drove as Julie will not drive with the camper on the hitch) about 24 hours to get to and from the park. During the trip, we drove right past the Badlands (could see them from a distance) and Wind Cave. We could have easily checked 2 more off the list. But we didn't. We just kept right on driving. 

Fast forward to our limited time inside Yellowstone, I feel we really did make the best of it. We saw so much cool shit! Totally bad as stuff. However, in doing so, we ran out of time. Thus, we were unable to take the day trip south to the Grand Tetons. A decision I would regret, save for it will definitely put me back in that area sometime.

As does now, that's where this thread came about. I have a week of vacation the first week of November. I am giving the girlfriend one of those pin maps for National Parks that will be personalized for her birthday next week. Of course, that will only be a part of the gift, as the real gift will be a trup to whichever National Park she would like to visit. Now, given the time of year and only having a week, there are a big majority of the parks that will likely be eliminated. A few weeks too late for the fall foliage at Acadia, Isle Royale, Voyagers, and too cold for Glacier, etc...

Sooo, with all of that in mind, I was thinking maybe Hot Springs in Arkansas to knock out the one in the middle of nowhere. And pick up Mammoth Cave on the way. Then, I thought, maybe we could knock out a bunch in Utah in a week, but I wasn't sure if that would be too cold at those elevations in the beginning of November. Then I started thinking maybe getting a few in California. Might be a good time to check out Death Valley and Joshua Tree. Swing up to LA and take a dump at the Coliseum. :lol: I also thought it could be a good time to see Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and the Caverns. 

What opinions do you men and women have?
    I could make one hell of an itinerary in Cali for you!

Land in LAX.  head south and hit up Joshua tree. Go east and climb/hike Vasquez rocks.  Go 14North and stop off in Palmdale/Lancaster and drive on the music road.  Go further north to the Ghost town of  Randsburgh.  Keep going North to the Trona Pinnacles.  Stop in the Panamints for a day hike to Panamint city.  Drive around and go to Death valley.  Drive north and see Mt Whitney(tallest peak in the continental US, so you'd have been to the lowest and tallest points on the continental US!), see the Internment camps on your way up there.  Head west and go to Sequoia then after that go north to Yosemite.

If you do all this I'd then go chill in Silicon valley or Sonoma and drink wine and relax for a few days!

You could do this in about 8 days.  Lots of driving but you would have been to 3 NP's and a couple of other cool things.  Vasquez is my favorite place on earth and I want my ashes placed in the hidden brook.
    tempo_n_groove  ,have you climbed Whitney from the east side?  I've long wanted to do that (maybe too old now though).  That whole "Alabama Hills" area where the trail-head is located is very cool.  A ton of westerns have been filmed there. 

No I went up the normal Lone Pine route. My name is in that big ass book up top there!!!

I really would like to do the eastern route though and go by guitar lake and Hitchcock lake.  They look cool from above!

We met some people that were doing that hike and did a three day trip!  Maybe one day!

Brian I have a funny story to tell u about my trip.  Check your DM
    Got it, thanks!   Gnarly! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Love the dump at the Coli inclusion, you Notre Dame rat bastard!
    :)
    Where she wants, right?  So you really have no say.
    I would say Yosemite, Yosemite, Yosemite.  Only drawback is not seeing the waterfalls as they are in springtime.  As much as I liked all of the places I have been that are NPs, it is Yosemite as #1 and it does not even take a second to rank it that way. 
    Haha...you know I had to brother, it's been far too long!

Yes, it will be her choice as to where we visit. However, as much knowledge as I can pull from some of you well traveled folks will help. Stories, letting me know not to go to a particular location in November, etc...
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Wow, you fine people have not disappointed! It seems like these NP destinations are something people are either all in or all out of.

We went to the Great Smoky Mountains 5 years ago and enjoyed ourselves. But I found it to be a bit too touristy for my liking. 

Then 3 years ago, we did a plan on the fly trip to Yellowstone. At that point, we still hadn't developed quite the love for the national parks we now have. Because the trip was planned on the fly, we were low on money and only had 8 days to drive there and back, we missed  out on A LOT!

We left Yellowstone completely awestruck and eager to share our stories with anyone who would listen...or pretend to listen. But, as I said, we did all that traveling on short notice. And seeing so many national parks had not really became something we planned on wanting to do. Alas, we drove (sorry, I drove as Julie will not drive with the camper on the hitch) about 24 hours to get to and from the park. During the trip, we drove right past the Badlands (could see them from a distance) and Wind Cave. We could have easily checked 2 more off the list. But we didn't. We just kept right on driving. 

Fast forward to our limited time inside Yellowstone, I feel we really did make the best of it. We saw so much cool shit! Totally bad as stuff. However, in doing so, we ran out of time. Thus, we were unable to take the day trip south to the Grand Tetons. A decision I would regret, save for it will definitely put me back in that area sometime.

As does now, that's where this thread came about. I have a week of vacation the first week of November. I am giving the girlfriend one of those pin maps for National Parks that will be personalized for her birthday next week. Of course, that will only be a part of the gift, as the real gift will be a trup to whichever National Park she would like to visit. Now, given the time of year and only having a week, there are a big majority of the parks that will likely be eliminated. A few weeks too late for the fall foliage at Acadia, Isle Royale, Voyagers, and too cold for Glacier, etc...

Sooo, with all of that in mind, I was thinking maybe Hot Springs in Arkansas to knock out the one in the middle of nowhere. And pick up Mammoth Cave on the way. Then, I thought, maybe we could knock out a bunch in Utah in a week, but I wasn't sure if that would be too cold at those elevations in the beginning of November. Then I started thinking maybe getting a few in California. Might be a good time to check out Death Valley and Joshua Tree. Swing up to LA and take a dump at the Coliseum. :lol: I also thought it could be a good time to see Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and the Caverns. 

Land in LAX.  head south and hit up Joshua tree. Go east and climb/hike Vasquez rocks.  Go 14North and stop off in Palmdale/Lancaster and drive on the music road.  Go further north to the Ghost town of  Randsburgh.  Keep going North to the Trona Pinnacles.  Stop in the Panamints for a day hike to Panamint city.  Drive around and go to Death valley.  Drive north and see Mt Whitney(tallest peak in the continental US, so you'd have been to the lowest and tallest points on the continental US!), see the Internment camps on your way up there.  Head west and go to Sequoia then after that go north to Yosemite.

If you do all this I'd then go chill in Silicon valley or Sonoma and drink wine and relax for a few days!

You could do this in about 8 days.  Lots of driving but you would have been to 3 NP's and a couple of other cool things.  Vasquez is my favorite place on earth and I want my ashes placed in the hidden brook.
    Damn, you weren't kidding! That does sound like a hell of an itinerary! Though, I must admit when I read the part about "go 14 north" I instantly thought of you as one of the Californian characters from SNL.  =) I'd probably have to shave off some of the items due to lack of time, but it still sounds like a solid trip. How muw time would you say some of these spots should take up? In terms of seeing what is needed to see at them.For example:

Yellowstone - several days
    Smoky Mountain NP - 2 days
    Badlands - half day
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847

Damn, you weren't kidding! That does sound like a hell of an itinerary! Though, I must admit when I read the part about "go 14 north" I instantly thought of you as one of the Californian characters from SNL.  =) I'd probably have to shave off some of the items due to lack of time, but it still sounds like a solid trip. How muw time would you say some of these spots should take up? In terms of seeing what is needed to see at them.For example:

Yellowstone - several days
    Smoky Mountain NP - 2 days
    Badlands - half day
    How much time do you have?  Let me know how many days and I can plan you a trip with other things to maximize your days.
    I would suspect we will fly out on a Saturday and return on a Friday. It will be the first full week of November.
    Shoulder season trips are the best!  No crowds, no bugs, lower prices...that late in the year you need to be hardy or go somewhere warmish.  November in the Adirondacks is obviously pretty chilly, but November at Bryce and Zion??  Primo.
    Really??? I will have to investigate further. I had read that I would be risking it being too fold at those elevations thar time of year. Thank you for the insight.
    November is going to be cold at night in any of the best and accessible NPs.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Stopped by this one today.

#FHP
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Horos said:
    Stopped by this one today.

We used to head up there once in a while when my folks were still alive and living in Medford.  Great spot.  Nice lodge too though I think the food there was a bit pricey.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    The Old Man

#FHP
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited July 2018
    Headed to Glacier National Park this August as part of the Missoula show. Super pumped. We won't be able to do our usual backcountry trips with the 10-month-old but car camping near Lake McDonald should do the trick!

And re: Whitney - I did a trip a few years ago via the High Sierra Trail to the top of Whitney and ending in Lone Pine. Absolutely fantastic trip.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Crater lake looks beautiful!

Glacier may be #1 on our list, but not in November. I've he azad red nothing but good things about that place. 
    Heading up to Nordhouse Dunes National Wilderness on Lake Michigan for a short backpack trip this weekend, wish me luck for good weather!
    ^^Sounds like a great time. I think the weather is supposed to be good. Got some friends that are from Manistee who say that area is really nice.
    Then again, I am in Northwest Indiana, soooo...not much to see here. But we do have Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore/Indiana Dunes State Park. That's a really good area for hiking and swimming.
    Forgot to say: Have fun and be safe.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Good luck out there!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    ^^Sounds like a great time. I think the weather is supposed to be good. Got some friends that are from Manistee who say that area is really nice.
    Then again, I am in Northwest Indiana, soooo...not much to see here. But we do have Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore/Indiana Dunes State Park. That's a really good area for hiking and swimming.
    I haven't been in any dune ecosystems yet so this is a new experience for us.  Also the first backpack trip since we had our son who is 3 now.

It's hard to have a vacation and not go to the mountains lol 
    rgambs said:
    I haven't been in any dune ecosystems yet so this is a new experience for us.  Also the first backpack trip since we had our son who is 3 now.

I would rather a beach than mountains all day long!
    rgambs said:

No way! Give me the mountains! So humbling and rewarding to hike and drive through!

*I may have a different tone if I weren't so pale, over weight and if I didn't have a girlfriend. Lmao
    rgambs said:

No way! Give me the mountains! So humbling and rewarding to hike and drive through!

*I may have a different tone if I weren't so pale, over weight and if I didn't have a girlfriend. Lmao
    Give me a fishing pole any time of year and I'm still in the ocean...  I'm fishing for Stripers in November in the water.  My friends think I'm nuts...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:

Give me a fishing pole any time of year and I'm still in the ocean...  I'm fishing for Stripers in November in the water.  My friends think I'm nuts...
    I have fished for stripers nov-feb.  It gets freaking cold out there!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    If anyone hasn't, watch Ken Burns' documentary series about America's National Parks. It is so good, and really brings home just how much history and work and energy and caring is currently being destroyed by the Trump administration.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    If anyone hasn't, watch Ken Burns' documentary series about America's National Parks. It is so good, and really brings home just how much history and work and energy and caring is currently being destroyed by the Trump administration.
    I know I'm splitting hairs but isn't Trump admin reducing National Monuments?
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

There are two kinds of people, mountain people and beach people.
    The second group is wrong.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

There are two kinds of people, mountain people and beach people.
    The second group is wrong.
    There is a 3rd: Mountain and beach people. That's why we are in VanCity. ;) I sincerely can't imagine not living with both at the same time long term. I did live in the Rockies for just a handful of months once... It was so beautiful... but the Rockies need to be sitting in an ocean. Then they'd be perfect. ;)

I don't think I've ever been to an American national park...? Or have I? Is the very northwest side of Washington State part of a national park? Where all those insanely beautiful beaches are, on the edge of forests? I thought it was actually First Nations land, so probably not? But the best National Park I've been to might be Banff National Park, especially since it includes the Columbia Glacier, which was awesome to walk up (and under!). Or maybe it's the Pacific Rim National Park on the west side of Vancouver Island .... that is certainly as beautiful as it gets!

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata