Options

Seattle “Must Sees”

jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 321
I’ve only been to Seattle once and it was for work so I haven’t explored too much. I’m bringing the wife to the Home Shows and need some things to fill a few days. The good thing is that my wife likes to eat and drink like me so any recommendations for restaurants or areas with good pubs would be great. What are other things worth hitting during the day near downtown? Not terribly interested in tourist traps, but if something is worth it, feel free to let me know.  We won’t have a car so we will be using Uber or whatever for the trip. 

Thanks for any tips. 
KC 2010
Lincoln 2014
New York 2016
Seattle 2018
St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023

Comments

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    edited June 2018
    The Ballard Locks.  Salmon should be moving through the fish ladder in August.  And you can hit Red Mill for lunch while your there.  Great burgers!!!

http://www.myballard.com/ballard-locks-seattle/
    Post edited by KC138045 on
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Space Needle, Museum of Pop Culture, Pike Place, Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, Duck Tours. It's all great, so is the food. My uncle and his wife live there. There's also a cool underground tour I want to take next time I'm there.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 571
    Ballard (neighborhood in Seattle) is a solid area for bars/restaurants that may be a little less ‘touristy’ and is very walkable once there. Ray’s Boathouse (cafe part more informal) is a good seafood focused restaurant with a great view that is in the area. But there’s a lot right on Ballard Ave.

The Belltown area along 1st and 2nd ave is also a good place to bar/food hop. Really each ‘neighborhood’ has a strip that’s good for pubs and food. 

I always like taking a ferry ride out to Bainbridge Island with visitors if the weather is nice.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,915
    Space Needle 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    big dipper ice creambig dipper ice cream malt-hop epicenter Posts: 2,544
    Discovery park (for the trails) and views.

2024..........ANCHORAGE-FAIRBANKS-VANCOUVER-SEATTLE-PORTLAND-BOISE-SLC-MISSOULA

• Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    The Black Sun sculpture at Volunteer Park.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone. This seems like a good start. Any PJ or music related museums or places I should see?
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    Are you on fb? There's alot of info on the Seattle event page. Also free festival on 11th on Alki beach for subpop 30
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Pearl Jam!

jk.  Lots of good suggestions.  That Black Hole Sun looks pretty cool
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Are you on fb? There's alot of info on the Seattle event page. Also free festival on 11th on Alki beach for subpop 30
    Not a Facebooker. Thanks for the suggestion. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    Moore Theatre, The Showbox, Benaroya Hall and the El Corazon are on my list of places to see where PJ has played.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    It kind of depends on your interests. E.g., my husband and my kids LOVED the Museum of Flight, but it bores me to tears. If you're into airplanes, you'll really like it.

I'm a big fan of the Woodland Park Zoo. And I agree that the Ballard locks and the fish ladder are well worth the visit. Both are free, and there are nice gardens around the locks, if you like roses and that sort of thing. If you do go the the locks, I suggest heading west/north afterwards to Shilshole Bay/ Golden Gardens, for a little walk on the beach. (I haven't lived in Seattle in many years, but unless things have changed, I should mention that most "beaches" in Seattle are/ were ankle-deep in goose poop. This is a place for walking/ relaxing, not tanning.)

Odds are I will be running on the Burke-Gilman Trail on a few of the days we are there. I like to run north from the UW, it's quiet, residential, and you get some nice views of Lake Washington. If you are a runner, I highly recommend it. You can stop at the University Village mall afterwards for coffee and a snack at one of the 85 Starbucks in said mall. ;-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    It kind of depends on your interests. E.g., my husband and my kids LOVED the Museum of Flight, but it bores me to tears. If you're into airplanes, you'll really like it.

I'm a big fan of the Woodland Park Zoo. And I agree that the Ballard locks and the fish ladder are well worth the visit. Both are free, and there are nice gardens around the locks, if you like roses and that sort of thing. If you do go the the locks, I suggest heading west/north afterwards to Shilshole Bay/ Golden Gardens, for a little walk on the beach. (I haven't lived in Seattle in many years, but unless things have changed, I should mention that most "beaches" in Seattle are/ were ankle-deep in goose poop. This is a place for walking/ relaxing, not tanning.)

Odds are I will be running on the Burke-Gilman Trail on a few of the days we are there. I like to run north from the UW, it's quiet, residential, and you get some nice views of Lake Washington. If you are a runner, I highly recommend it. You can stop at the University Village mall afterwards for coffee and a snack at one of the 85 Starbucks in said mall. ;-)
    I made a running schedule for Seattle, I can’t recall it all other than I have to do 16 on the day between the shows. Plan on starting at the needle head to the Burke Gilman trail, the whole loop around the water, back to the needle and down to sculpture park and back up to the needle.  Is this a safe route?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    jwc6160 said:
    Awesome, thanks everyone. This seems like a good start. Any PJ or music related museums or places I should see?
    Make sure to visit MoPOP because we're opening a Pearl Jam exhibition the week of the Home Shows! We also have a Nirvana exhibition, a horror exhibition, Marvel Comics exhibition which is our largest ever, and we always have a Jimi Hendrix gallery. Hope you enjoy!
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    silvasilva Posts: 44
    Is there any further info on Mopop entry for tenclub members. Not the screening, just entry into the exhibition @ZeldaZonk
    Wembley London - 10/29/96
    Reading Festival - 08/27/06
    Wembley London - 06/18/07
    Milton Keynes - 07/11/14
  • Options
    silva said:
    Is there any further info on Mopop entry for tenclub members. Not the screening, just entry into the exhibition @ZeldaZonk
    Nothing yet, so I think all of the details are still being ironed out. Hopefully it won't be much longer, and I will let you know if I hear anything about it.
  • Options
    silva said:
    I asked about it today and was told that 10c access will be given on Wednesday and Friday night AFTER the shows between 11pm and 2am. During the summer, we don't close until 7pm so it presents a challenge to allow access to an exhibition that is off limits to other paying guests. I don't know if any other times will be made available or not, but I hope so because I imagine a lot of people will not be thrilled about having to go so late after an already crazy night. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,877
    Food, booze, roaming the city without a plan....... and wherever your two feet take you.....At least make a day/night for that while you're there after visiting what you can.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    Food, booze, roaming the city without a plan....... and wherever your two feet take you.....At least make a day/night for that while you're there after visiting what you can.
    That’s what I plan on most of the trip honestly. I’m just looking for a couple of extra things to have on hand in case the wife gets bored. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    ZeldaZonk said:
    silva said:
    I asked about it today and was told that 10c access will be given on Wednesday and Friday night AFTER the shows between 11pm and 2am. During the summer, we don't close until 7pm so it presents a challenge to allow access to an exhibition that is off limits to other paying guests. I don't know if any other times will be made available or not, but I hope so because I imagine a lot of people will not be thrilled about having to go so late after an already crazy night. Hope this helps!
    Can you provide any more info on this? So if I go to the museum during normal hours, I won’t get to see all of the exhibits? I assume the “off limit” ones are PJ related???

thanks
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    I have already had some good suggestions, but can somebody recommend good places for oysters. I have never tried any kind of oyster and I figured what a better place than Seattle to try them.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I have already had some good suggestions, but can somebody recommend good places for oysters. I have never tried any kind of oyster and I figured what a better place than Seattle to try them.
    Taylor Shellfish Farm is a local farm / processor of oysters. If you want to visit them, they have shops near the farms. If you just want to try fresh oysters while your downtown, go to their oyster bar right in Pioneer Square, just blocks away from the stadium. They get their oysters delivered from their farms daily. 
    https://www.taylorshellfishfarms.com/location/pioneer-square

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jwc6160 said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    silva said:
    Can you provide any more info on this? So if I go to the museum during normal hours, I won’t get to see all of the exhibits? I assume the “off limit” ones are PJ related???

thanks
    Sorry for the confusion. If you go to the museum that week during normal business hours, you will have access to everything except for the new Pearl Jam exhibition. It opens to the public on Saturday the 11th, so anytime prior to that will be off limits to musuem visitors. If you decide to purchase the special access tickets that 10c will offer, my understanding is that we are going to open the museum after both of the home shows for 10c members only. Not all of the galleries will be accessible during those two nights, so it won't be access to the entire museum but from what I was told there will be one or two additional galleries that are near the Pearl Jam gallery space and Sky Church will be playing Pearl Jam related videos that evening as well. Hope this helps to clarify it for you, but let me know if you have any other questions. Take care!
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    jeffbr said:
    Taylor Shellfish Farm is a local farm / processor of oysters. If you want to visit them, they have shops near the farms. If you just want to try fresh oysters while your downtown, go to their oyster bar right in Pioneer Square, just blocks away from the stadium. They get their oysters delivered from their farms daily. 
    https://www.taylorshellfishfarms.com/location/pioneer-square

Thank you.
  • Options
    phfyrebyrdphfyrebyrd U.S. Posts: 17
    I'm also heading out to Seattle and was looking for suggestions, namely record and book stores. Also wondering if there's anything going on, like a pre- or post-game party on July 27th. Traveling solo and would love to know good places to check out. 
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense.

NYC 5/21/10; Buffalo 10/12/13; Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I'm also heading out to Seattle and was looking for suggestions, namely record and book stores. Also wondering if there's anything going on, like a pre- or post-game party on July 27th. Traveling solo and would love to know good places to check out. 
    I think everyone will be headed to Easy Street records.  I think I heard there will be a pop-up shop there too.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    Silver Platters is another good record store to check out. They're in SoDo not too far from where the shows will be. They also sell books, so check them out. 
  • Options
    east_ia_pj_faneast_ia_pj_fan Posts: 133
    edited July 2018
    I visited Seattle for EV solo show, visited quite a few of the above mentioned suggestions(all are great, can vouch for Space Needle, Benaroya Hall, Pikes Market, Pop Culture Museum, etc).  I did enjoy taking ferry to West Seattle and walking up the main drive by the Puget Sound (i think?) , enjoyed great views of Seattle and caught a nice buzz at the local bars
    Post edited by east_ia_pj_fan on
  • Options
    jamhead64jamhead64 Posts: 52
    Kerry Park! 

It’s close to Seattle Center, so go after seeing the PJ museum at Mopop.

This park offers one of the best views of the city,and also has the sculpture that Andrew Wood was photographed on.

• Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I remember Stone saying that he frequents Elliott Bay Books.