Options

Seattle “Must Sees”

Comments

• Options
    phfyrebyrdphfyrebyrd U.S. Posts: 17
    Thanks all! 
    Remember stopping at Elliott Bay when I was in Seattle last, back in '04. That's high on my list. Really appreciate the suggestions -- keep 'em coming! 
    Makes much more sense to live in the present tense.

NYC 5/21/10; Buffalo 10/12/13; Baltimore 10/27/13
  • Options
    kcuf mekcuf me Posts: 55
    What’s at Elliots Bay?
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 716
    jamhead64 said:
    Kerry Park! 

It’s close to Seattle Center, so go after seeing the PJ museum at Mopop.

This park offers one of the best views of the city,and also has the sculpture that Andrew Wood was photographed on.

Didn't know of this. Which sculpture are you referring to?
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,759
    Drive along the I90 west/I5 south interchange if you want to see small example of why the home shows are happening. Not a single tent was in sight 6 years ago.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 321
    ZeldaZonk said:
    jwc6160 said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    silva said:
    Is there any further info on Mopop entry for tenclub members. Not the screening, just entry into the exhibition @ZeldaZonk
    I asked about it today and was told that 10c access will be given on Wednesday and Friday night AFTER the shows between 11pm and 2am. During the summer, we don't close until 7pm so it presents a challenge to allow access to an exhibition that is off limits to other paying guests. I don't know if any other times will be made available or not, but I hope so because I imagine a lot of people will not be thrilled about having to go so late after an already crazy night. Hope this helps!
    Can you provide any more info on this? So if I go to the museum during normal hours, I won’t get to see all of the exhibits? I assume the “off limit” ones are PJ related???

thanks
    Sorry for the confusion. If you go to the museum that week during normal business hours, you will have access to everything except for the new Pearl Jam exhibition. It opens to the public on Saturday the 11th, so anytime prior to that will be off limits to musuem visitors. If you decide to purchase the special access tickets that 10c will offer, my understanding is that we are going to open the museum after both of the home shows for 10c members only. Not all of the galleries will be accessible during those two nights, so it won't be access to the entire museum but from what I was told there will be one or two additional galleries that are near the Pearl Jam gallery space and Sky Church will be playing Pearl Jam related videos that evening as well. Hope this helps to clarify it for you, but let me know if you have any other questions. Take care!
    ok thanks. We will just wait and hit it Saturday so we can see the PJ stuff. Thank you 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023
  • Options
    kcuf me said:
    What’s at Elliots Bay?
    An incredible bookstore. I remember the light, the windows, the very tall stacks of shelves lining the walls: http://www.elliottbaybook.com/

• Options
    kcuf me said:
    What’s at Elliots Bay?
    Goodness, I'm sorry! I misread your post -- apologies. Long crummy day at work. 

• Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    jwc6160 said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    jwc6160 said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    silva said:
    Is there any further info on Mopop entry for tenclub members. Not the screening, just entry into the exhibition @ZeldaZonk
    I asked about it today and was told that 10c access will be given on Wednesday and Friday night AFTER the shows between 11pm and 2am. During the summer, we don't close until 7pm so it presents a challenge to allow access to an exhibition that is off limits to other paying guests. I don't know if any other times will be made available or not, but I hope so because I imagine a lot of people will not be thrilled about having to go so late after an already crazy night. Hope this helps!
    Can you provide any more info on this? So if I go to the museum during normal hours, I won’t get to see all of the exhibits? I assume the “off limit” ones are PJ related???

thanks
    Sorry for the confusion. If you go to the museum that week during normal business hours, you will have access to everything except for the new Pearl Jam exhibition. It opens to the public on Saturday the 11th, so anytime prior to that will be off limits to musuem visitors. If you decide to purchase the special access tickets that 10c will offer, my understanding is that we are going to open the museum after both of the home shows for 10c members only. Not all of the galleries will be accessible during those two nights, so it won't be access to the entire museum but from what I was told there will be one or two additional galleries that are near the Pearl Jam gallery space and Sky Church will be playing Pearl Jam related videos that evening as well. Hope this helps to clarify it for you, but let me know if you have any other questions. Take care!
    ok thanks. We will just wait and hit it Saturday so we can see the PJ stuff. Thank you 
    You're very welcome! Hope you enjoy it, it's going to be huge!
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    saw this at Costco today
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Hiking thru Discovery Park to the beach where the Hunger Strike video was shoot is a must. Snoqualmie Falls is another beautiful hike close to the city and then go to the Twin Peaks diner. Rent a kayak on Lake Union and take in some amazing views of the city. 
    http://www.twedescafe.com/
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    saw this at Costco today
    Seen this on here twice in the last couple days and want to get reading so bad!!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    CDEANSEATTLECDEANSEATTLE Seattle Posts: 33
    The Log Home Museum (donations appreciated)  on Alki will have donated music memorabilia from musicians living or lived in West Seattle for the SPF30 Alki beach party as well. I know Mark Arm, David Grohl and Eddie Vedder lived. The museum also has former honorable members bricks on the grounds. They also have stuff from the movie Singles. The Admiral movie theater and intersection crash were shot in the Junction area. Easy Street records also has a really good lunch and breakfast counter with cheap beer, and menu items named after musicians, Saturday and Sunday Benny & the Jetts is good or Soundgarden Burger with bacon. Thunder Road guitars is down the street from Easy Street and is Mike Mcready's place to bring friends like Cheap Trick. This is the only place in Seattle were the high rent is actually worth the quality of life. Please pick up any garbage you may leave behind on the beach as seal pups(don't pet) will start to come to Alki as well.  
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,445
    saw this at Costco today
    That book and a $1.50 hotdog and soda and you’re all set for the day. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    edited July 2018
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    Surprised no-one mentioned this yet but if tours ares till available check out London bridge studio where, Ten, TOTD, most AiC, MLB, Louder Than Love, Blind Melon, Candlebox and tons more were recorded. That place has an atmosphere like no other and you can play the piano that was on all of those records, and listen to the tracks from all those albums at the soundboard, it's a little out of the way but in my mind was the best part of my trip besides the TOTD shows last time I was there. Easy Street records is a great place but it'll be crazy busy during this time. 
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    My Favorites are Ballard Locks, Fremont Troll, Lenin statue and the tacos that are sold near it, Gas Works Park,  Capital Hill and the floating bridge.

Have fun and enjoy.
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 716
    PJWGIII said:
    saw this at Costco today
    Seen this on here twice in the last couple days and want to get reading so bad!!!
    I flipped through it at my local Indigo... if you are new to the band, and are not aware of their history is it a must read. If you have been a fan for a while there isn't anything shocking.
  • Options
    Chadplam said:
    Surprised no-one mentioned this yet but if tours ares till available check out London bridge studio where, Ten, TOTD, most AiC, MLB, Louder Than Love, Blind Melon, Candlebox and tons more were recorded. That place has an atmosphere like no other and you can play the piano that was on all of those records, and listen to the tracks from all those albums at the soundboard, it's a little out of the way but in my mind was the best part of my trip besides the TOTD shows last time I was there. Easy Street records is a great place but it'll be crazy busy during this time. 
    Now THIS sounds like a must visit. I'm flying in for the PJ night at the game and staying through the Candlebox reunion show on Sunday night! That and Blind Melon is a top five band for me. Thank you so much for the suggestion! 

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,775
    Any good running routes (5-10k distance) around downtown Seattle? Looks like Myrtle Edwards Park is the best option.
  • Options
    Looking for oysters...http://www.elliottsoysterhouse.com.  It's on the waterfront near the ferries and Aquarium.  A pricier place, but it's a great.  I'd recommend reservations in the summer.

Seattle has many bike share companies that you can rent bikes from.  You'll see these colorful bikes left all around town.  You walk to a bike and use their app to rent it.  I believe there are over 10,000 of these bikes around town so you can't miss them.  

Running route...you can run along the waterfront through Myrtle Edwards.  If you have transportation:  Run along the Burke Gilman Trail.  It's a bike/running route that is many miles long.  You could also walk/run around Green Lake, it's less than 3 miles around.  There are several restaurants along the lake if you want to stop afterwards.  

I always recommend that visitors take a ferry boat ride from the waterfront.  You can walk on, no car needed.  It's an inexpensive tourist thing to do and it's a great way to see the Puget Sound.  You're pretty much guaranteed to have some great photo opps.  You can take the Seattle-Bremerton or the Seattle-Bainbridge ferry.  You have to get off the ferry at the end of the route and re-board if you want to go straight back to Seattle, ticket is needed for each leg.  But both Bremerton and Bainbridge are little towns that you can go enjoy for a bit, get something to eat or drink.   

Ferry info:  http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/Default.aspx?_ga=2.149753334.1748967345.1531176279-1400953622.1520457123
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    tschav said:
    Any good running routes (5-10k distance) around downtown Seattle? Looks like Myrtle Edwards Park is the best option.
    Down along the beach and around the point in West Seattle on Alki is a nice run.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    varty yovarty yo Posts: 105
    My to do list is while im there. 
    -Market duh
    -Pinball museum
    -mamas cantena
    -prob space needle which ive been to before
    -few other little pubs if anyone knows of some in the DT area
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 138
    Take a ferry and see the Seattle skyline from the water. Enjoy some chowder. MoPop and Pike Place are great to visit.
  • Options
    I would like to remind all of the out of towners to be cautious while you're here walking the streets and exploring our city. The homeless problem and drug use is rampant, and it's basically everywhere. To give you an example, I went to a show at the Crocodile tonight and parked my car on the street one block away. I was still sitting in my car when two guys were standing on the sidewalk next to the car parked in front of me, and they were making a drug deal in the open, broad daylight. It was only 6:45pm. I finally exited my car and walked the block to the venue, and took a seat at the back bar. There is an open area to the sidewalk, and while I was chilling out and having a drink I saw the same drug guy walking by with a different guy and he had more drugs in his hand. A few minutes later, a random guy staggers past the bar and he has blood gushing down the right side of his head behind his ear. He's not too concerned about it and continues to stagger, meanwhile a female comes up to him and talk to him for a few minutes while he's walking. A few minutes later the same female walks up to another homeless guy who appears to have a mental illness, and she hands him drugs. All of this within 25 minutes and in a one block radius from the time I left my car until I made it to  the Crocodile.

Other occasions include open drug sales and open drug use at Pike's Place, one time at 9am in the morning and another time around 11am. I'm not talking about pot which is legal here; it's crack, heroin, meth, you name it. the cops are either oblivious to it or just have their hands full with other problems, but it's a sad situation. 
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    ZeldaZonk said:
    I would like to remind all of the out of towners to be cautious while you're here walking the streets and exploring our city. The homeless problem and drug use is rampant, and it's basically everywhere. To give you an example, I went to a show at the Crocodile tonight and parked my car on the street one block away. I was still sitting in my car when two guys were standing on the sidewalk next to the car parked in front of me, and they were making a drug deal in the open, broad daylight. It was only 6:45pm. I finally exited my car and walked the block to the venue, and took a seat at the back bar. There is an open area to the sidewalk, and while I was chilling out and having a drink I saw the same drug guy walking by with a different guy and he had more drugs in his hand. A few minutes later, a random guy staggers past the bar and he has blood gushing down the right side of his head behind his ear. He's not too concerned about it and continues to stagger, meanwhile a female comes up to him and talk to him for a few minutes while he's walking. A few minutes later the same female walks up to another homeless guy who appears to have a mental illness, and she hands him drugs. All of this within 25 minutes and in a one block radius from the time I left my car until I made it to  the Crocodile.

Other occasions include open drug sales and open drug use at Pike's Place, one time at 9am in the morning and another time around 11am. I'm not talking about pot which is legal here; it's crack, heroin, meth, you name it. the cops are either oblivious to it or just have their hands full with other problems, but it's a sad situation. 
    Agree, I started this thread a while back.  Keep your wits about you and trust your gut and instincts.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/271675/home-shows-remember-why-you-are-there-for-better-or-potentially-worse#latest
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    Those from Seattle or Vancouver do you have any tips on what border crossing is the best? We are flying into Vancouver at 9:20am on the 10th and are trying to maximize our time in Seattle since we are flying out of Vancouver early the next day. Do we just look at the signs coming into the States and pick the one with the best time or is there a better plan of attack? I heard sometimes there are wait times of over 2 hrs. 

Also here are our plans for the quick day that we have. Going to try and get this all done in under 5hrs walking then head down to Safeco for 5PM.

1. Lake Union Park
    2. Kerry Park
    3. Park our car on 6th Ave and go to the base of the Space Needle to look around
    4. Olympic Sculpture Park
    5. Pike Place Market
    6. Columbia Center (if we have time to go up and check out the view)
    7. Waterfront Park
    8. Safeco

We still do not have restaurants planned. We were looking for something on that path that is quick but delicious and also looking for a decent place after the show on our way back to our parked car. 
  • Options
    ZeldaZonk said:

Agree, I started this thread a while back.  Keep your wits about you and trust your gut and instincts.

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/271675/home-shows-remember-why-you-are-there-for-better-or-potentially-worse#latest
    Amen to that! 
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,301
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    If anyone is looking for a good show tonight, there's a great Mother Love Bone tribute band playing in Pioneer Square at 9pm. They're called Stargazer, and I see them every chance I get (with the exception of tonight). They're playing at J&M Cafe from 9pm-midnight.