PRAGUE - tips, hints, beers, meet ups... etc ...

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    100 Pacer said:
    PJNB said:
    Starting to pack my bag for my week long trip to Europe starting with Prague. Is two pair of underwear enough? Asking for a friend... 
    You're nothing if you don't rough it commando. 
    Sold!

• Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    This city is goddamn awesome 
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    It's getting so close now! We fly Friday morning, can't wait to explore this city :)
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    6am flight from Edinburgh to Prague. Gonna be a long day!
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    The wife and myself are en route tomorrow. Her first pearl jam show and my 9th. Wore her down.

hope to meet you all at the pre party, let's not leave Prague how we found it.
  • BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    PJNB said:
    Starting to pack my bag for my week long trip to Europe starting with Prague. Is two pair of underwear enough? Asking for a friend... 
    Sure is! I only brought a backpack for 10 days. Hope my friends like me!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    I have two days to shake this stupid sniffly thing I have going on :anguished::anguished:
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    We fly out Friday afternoon. Pearl Jam and travel, two of the greatest things in life!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited June 2018
    deftones said:
    What is the best to do with money? Withdraw from an ATM in the airport/city center, change euro or pay with credit/debit card?
    I think i'm gonna withdraw money at an ATM in the Airport. I checked with my Bank today, and they told me i can do that if i choose.

Any volunteers to pick me up at the Airport>LOL!!
    Post edited by cutz on
    cutz said:
    deftones said:
    What is the best to do with money? Withdraw from an ATM in the airport/city center, change euro or pay with credit/debit card?
    I think i'm gonna withdraw money at an ATM in the Airport. I checked with my Bank today, and they told me i can do that if i choose.

I would not recommend changing at the airport, notorious for fees. Plenty of places in town, check rates and commission.

Personally I am using my card as much as possible.

Uber works a treat in Prague also.
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

I would not recommend changing at the airport, notorious for fees. Plenty of places in town, check rates and commission.

I  need cash for a Taxi to my hotel, because i don't know how to Uber. Unless, they take Credit Card?(I plan on mostly using my CC, but i may want a small amount of cash to buy low price items).

Thanks for the info.
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    really 6am? Who are you flying with? I am leaving ED at 2.25pm.
    cutz said:
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

I  need cash for a Taxi to my hotel, because i don't know how to Uber. Unless, they take Credit Card?(I plan on mostly using my CC, but i may want a small amount of cash to buy low price items).

Thanks for the info.
    You download the app and register your credit card with them and the money gets taken off automatically!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    cutz said:
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

Thanks for the info.
    Bank ATMs should be fine, just don’t use ATMs that say Travelex or are right by a money exhange kiosk, those tend to incur lots of fees. If memory serves, there are a bunch of ATMS to the right once you exit the secure area but maybe some locals can confirm. Paging Ales and Jeremy...

Also, do you have a pre-booked taxi? If not, you should get one. Your hotel can arrange for you. I’ve seen them range from 600-800 Czech Koruna, which is like USD $25-35. They will hold a sign with your name and hotel name when you exit the secure area. Taxis are notorious for ripping people off in Prague so you don’t want to get into a random taxi. Or so I’ve been told.
    cutz said:
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

Thanks for the info.
    I tend to use Welcome pickups, you pre arrange online. All paid in advance, driver will be waiting in arrivals for you. About 23 euros. As mentioned earlier stay away from local taxis.
    edited June 2018
    Suziemay said:
    cutz said:
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

Thanks for the info.
    Bank ATMs should be fine, just don’t use ATMs that say Travelex or are right by a money exhange kiosk, those tend to incur lots of fees. If memory serves, there are a bunch of ATMS to the right once you exit the secure area but maybe some locals can confirm. Paging Ales and Jeremy...

Also, do you have a pre-booked taxi? If not, you should get one. Your hotel can arrange for you. I’ve seen them range from 600-800 Czech Koruna, which is like USD $25-35. They will hold a sign with your name and hotel name when you exit the secure area. Taxis are notorious for ripping people off in Prague so you don’t want to get into a random taxi. Or so I’ve been told.
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

Thanks for the info.
    I tend to use Welcome pickups, you pre arrange online. All paid in advance, driver will be waiting in arrivals for you. About 23 euros. As mentioned earlier stay away from local taxis.
    Thank You ALL for the advice. 

I just Booked Welcome Pickups, so i'm all set for a ride to my Hotel.

I'll use a ATM to get a small amount of cash.

THANKS!!!
    Post edited by cutz on
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    These last two days at work are gonna draaaaaggggggg
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    EasyJet. Assuming you're flying with Ryanair,?
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Check in done, getting really excited! Flying on Saturday morning with 23scidoo, we will be in Prague at 10.15 am, take a bus, pick up the train tickets to Krakow and then out for beers! See you all there!
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    deftones said:
    Check in done, getting really excited! Flying on Saturday morning with 23scidoo, we will be in Prague at 10.15 am, take a bus, pick up the train tickets to Krakow and then out for beers! See you all there!
    Well said sir..
    last shift tonight and tomorrow packing..we are clooooooooooooose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • coach4tlcoach4tl Posts: 143
    Suziemay said:
    alesek said:
    deftones said:
    really depends on your banks exchange rates...  EURCZK is 25.900 at the moment. You can find good exchange offices in Prague where the rate could be around 25.500. So if your bank does it better, use your cards/withdraw ATM ... but doubt that.
    Yeah but don't they also charge fees? I tend to just withdraw money from a bank ATM when I travel, or use credit cards, rather than try to sort out which is a good money exchange office where I won't get ripped off. It's served me well :)
    DON"T EXCHANGE AT THE AIRPORT PLEASE!!! You're best bet is to withdraw from an ATM as most banks give more favorable rates. But, there are also decent exchange places in the Old Town area as well. 
    Suziemay said:
    cutz said:
    Moonpig said:
    cutz said:
    deftones said:

Thanks for the info.

ATMs from an actual bank around town will be fine, don't exchange cash at the airport please. Also, Uber people. Seriously. Taxis will rip you off unless you speak Czech, which I assume most of you don't :-) 

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    So if you order Uber taxi, how long does it take to get out of the airport? 
    You have to specify the pick up time and not the flight arrival time, right? 
    kce8 said:
    You'll order the Uber once you get outside the terminal. If you're coming from within the EU it'll meet you up top outside terminal 2, if you're coming from outside the EU or UK you'll meet the Uber across from terminal 1 where there is a small parking lot for drop off and pick up. Generally they arrive within 8 minutes or so. Depending on where you are staying in the city it shouldn't be more than 450Kc (<20 Euro)
    coach4tl said:
    kce8 said:
    You'll order the Uber once you get outside the terminal. If you're coming from within the EU it'll meet you up top outside terminal 2, if you're coming from outside the EU or UK you'll meet the Uber across from terminal 1 where there is a small parking lot for drop off and pick up. Generally they arrive within 8 minutes or so. Depending on where you are staying in the city it shouldn't be more than 450Kc (<20 Euro)
    Thank you for your help! :smile: 
    I thought I should order it already before. That's good then. 
    My plane arrives at 7:25am. Is anyone else at the Prague airport around that time? We could possibly share a taxi there.

Yes, on my way to the airport right now. I couldn't have done 6am. I was working until 3am. It must be the hottest day in Scotland this summer. I hope Prague can keep up. 
    Yes, on my way to the airport right now. I couldn't have done 6am. I was working until 3am. It must be the hottest day in Scotland this summer. I hope Prague can keep up. 
    OMG... I hope not! Can't stand the heat...

Safe travels everybody! :smile:
    kce8 said:
    OMG... I hope not! Can't stand the heat...

Safe travels everybody! :smile:
    It's only 25C. But that's as hot as it gets about once a year. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Only a couple of days to go now. Hope all that are traveling get there safely and hope to meet a lot of you on the Prague - Krakow - Berlin trip. I will be late getting to Prague but will be going to the Krakow and Berlin pre-parties. Come say hi.  Also lets bring it during these shows! 

Jeff
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    PJNB said:
    Only a couple of days to go now. Hope all that are traveling get there safely and hope to meet a lot of you on the Prague - Krakow - Berlin trip. I will be late getting to Prague but will be going to the Krakow and Berlin pre-parties. Come say hi.  Also lets bring it during these shows! 

Jeff
    See you soon man, we will be queuing early in Prague, hopefully you will make it early from the airport too. 
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018