Options

Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    No one complained about this in 98 when they had a 70+ song catalog and they averaged 25 songs a night.  The shows flowed really well. Energy never waned.  
    one could argue that '98 was their greatest tour.  msg 2 that year might be the bands greatest show ever and it was only 26 songs.  I remember leaving the show physically and mentally exhausted.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    27 songs but..... y'all are in fuckin Amsterdam!!  Live that shit up!!
    Bingo.. they were 2 great shows. 4 more songs won’t have made them any better. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Call me kooky, but I'll take as much PJ as I can get and prefer 30+ song 3+ hour shows... but of course that's just me, a kooky PJ fan that knows their entire catalog backwards. One of the aforementioned "freaks", if you will (Albany 2006)

Its labeled as an "Evening with Pearl Jam" and they only play about 15 shows per year??? because of these things, I hope 3 hour shows remain the standard

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    :lol:   I like two opening bands and a 25 song set.  I may be the kooky one
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    mcgruff10 said:
    No one complained about this in 98 when they had a 70+ song catalog and they averaged 25 songs a night.  The shows flowed really well. Energy never waned.  
    one could argue that '98 was their greatest tour.  msg 2 that year might be the bands greatest show ever and it was only 26 songs.  I remember leaving the show physically and mentally exhausted.
    Great tour (1998) with a wonderful balance of songs from their first five (epic) albums. Can't get any better than that, imho!
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,714
    my2hands said:
    Call me kooky, but I'll take as much PJ as I can get and prefer 30+ song 3+ hour shows... but of course that's just me, a kooky PJ fan that knows their entire catalog backwards. One of the aforementioned "freaks", if you will (Albany 2006)

Its labeled as an "Evening with Pearl Jam" and they only play about 15 shows per year??? because of these things, I hope 3 hour shows remain the standard

I’m with you 
  • Options
    2 opening bands? In 2018? NO thank you, that is kooky.

I hate opening bands at this point, if it's a good band I prefer to see them play their own show in a proper sized venue, not an empty arena with more people in the poster line than watching the opener

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    my2hands said:
    2 opening bands? In 2018? NO thank you, that is kooky.

I hate opening bands at this point, if it's a good band I prefer to see them play their own show in a proper sized venue, not an empty arena with more people in the poster line than watching the opener

what shows are you going to this year?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Fenway
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    my2hands said:

I have to agree with this. if they were still playing 60 shows a year then I could understand cutting it back.

I will honestly be disappointed if they don't hit at least 30 songs for the American Ballpark shows. These shows feel more like destinations than just a regular tour.

Also, if they start trimming the set.... the chance of hearing rarities diminish substantially.

and sorry to sound like a whiny bitch, but after 30+ shows, I would rather hear Hold On rather than Betterman.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    KC138045 said:
    jam more please, number of songs doesn't matter....more jamming
    Wrong!  Go to a Phish concert if you want a jam session
    looking forward to all the phish and pearl jam i will be seeing in august  :smiley:
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    zevilone said:
    KC138045 said:
    looking forward to all the phish and pearl jam i will be seeing in august  :smiley:
    Where are you seeing Phish? Alpharetta, Raleigh, and Curveball for me.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    release00release00 Posts: 342
    This
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    release00release00 Posts: 342

KC138045 said:
    Ok, fine. We will. 
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Foo Fighters just recently played in Tampa for the first time in well over a decade. They had the Struts open at 7, and the Foos hit the stage around 8:30. They played until almost 11 (weeknight curfew). The Foo Fighters are also known as a "marathon gig" band that plays 2.5 hr-3 hr shows regularly, but with all of their noodling, talking bits and each member's cover songs, they really only played 17 FF songs (21 total).

Pearl Jam is packing a whole other album in a similar time frame. We all want more, but I think having 25 songs in a set is pretty fantastic, and a great bang for the buck. 
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    hihobibo said:
    Foo Fighters just recently played in Tampa for the first time in well over a decade. They had the Struts open at 7, and the Foos hit the stage around 8:30. They played until almost 11 (weeknight curfew). The Foo Fighters are also known as a "marathon gig" band that plays 2.5 hr-3 hr shows regularly, but with all of their noodling, talking bits and each member's cover songs, they really only played 17 FF songs (21 total).

Pearl Jam is packing a whole other album in a similar time frame. We all want more, but I think having 25 songs in a set is pretty fantastic, and a great bang for the buck. 
    Dave talks A LOT.   I assume because with all the screaming he does his voice needs a break.   PS.....The Struts are awesome.   Saw them open for Foo last Fall, walked in half way through their set and made the comment about how good they were without even knowing who they are.   Just saw them in a tiny theater last month on their own, covered Dancing in the Dark and was great.  
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

I have to agree with this. if they were still playing 60 shows a year then I could understand cutting it back.

I will honestly be disappointed if they don't hit at least 30 songs for the American Ballpark shows. These shows feel more like destinations than just a regular tour.

Also, if they start trimming the set.... the chance of hearing rarities diminish substantially.

and sorry to sound like a whiny bitch, but after 30+ shows, I would rather hear Hold On rather than Betterman.

Agreed. I think @lolobugg and @my2hands are spot on. I like the fact that the band doesn't do an extensive tour, but at least they are doing some kind of tour on a yearly basis. Taking the fact that they are not doing 60+ shows a tour into consideration, I like to see as much of the band as possible at any show I am at. And it couldn't have been said better, the shorter the setlists the smaller the chances of catching the rarities  and white whales that everybody chases. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited June 2018
    I always realize how spoiled I am as a Pearl Jam fan when I go to see any other band and after their 19-22 song, hour & 45 minute set I'm left thinking "That's it? That's the whole show?" :wink:
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    Ray J. T. said:
    lolobugg said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed. I think @lolobugg and @my2hands are spot on. I like the fact that the band doesn't do an extensive tour, but at least they are doing some kind of tour on a yearly basis. Taking the fact that they are not doing 60+ shows a tour into consideration, I like to see as much of the band as possible at any show I am at. And it couldn't have been said better, the shorter the setlists the smaller the chances of catching the rarities  and white whales that everybody chases. 
    That's a good point.  I got all 3 of my white whales (Oceans, Breath, and Sonic Reducer) in the era of 3 hour shows.  Plus I got some deep deep cuts (originals and covers).    The quantity of songs thing, did increase the odds of catching your white whale.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,814
    I always realize how spoiled I am as a Pearl Jam fan when I go to see any other band and after their 19-22 song, hour & 45 minute set I'm left thinking "That's it? That's the whole show?" :wink:
    pearl jam has single handedly ruined all other shows for me because of this. I have to remind myself "no other band I like does this, it's normal to play only 20 songs!". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    mcgruff10 said:
    top ten longest pj shows:  so how many 3+ hour shows could there really be?

1) 3:21:18 - Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum Night 4) - 10/31/09
    2) 3:20:00 - Mansfield, MA - 7/11/03 (estimated length - Counting Arc, not included on official release)
    3) 3:16:48 - San Diego, CA - 11/21/2013
    4) 3:15:42 - Oakland, CA - 11/26/13
    5) 3:15.13 - Denver, CO - 10/22/14
    6) 3:13.17 - Leeds, UK - 7/8/14 (Longest European show - includes Real Me, missing from bootleg)
    7) 3:11:05 - Seattle, WA - 12/6/13
    8) 3:10:22 - State College, PA - 5/3/03
    9) 3:07.38 - Milwaukee, WI - 10/20/14
    10) 3:07.37 - Milton Keynes, UK - 7/11/14
    wheres the list from ?  is that time of actual music played as opposed to on/off stage?
    according to the fanview page wrigley 16 was aprox 3 hrs 17 mins

Walk On Music: Baba O’Riley (Lifehouse Elements version)
    Band On Stage: 8:02
    Band Off Stage: 11:19
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit of a song hunter but I wish I wasn't one. I suppose it's difficult to NOT be one with the way Pearl Jam varies their setlist from show to show but I have to admit that I sometimes wonder if this trait lessens my OWN overall experience when attending the show. I find myself not as "into" a song I've heard before while it's being performed and already waiting for the next one, which I am hoping I've yet to have witnessed!

First world problems, I know.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2018
    rummy said:
    I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit of a song hunter but I wish I wasn't one. I suppose it's difficult to NOT be one with the way Pearl Jam varies their setlist from show to show but I have to admit that I sometimes wonder if this trait lessens my OWN overall experience when attending the show. I find myself not as "into" a song I've heard before while it's being performed and already waiting for the next one, which I am hoping I've yet to have witnessed!

Yeah. I don't suffer from this because I don't see a lot of shows (not sure how I'd feel if I did see a ton of them... seeing the same band 50 times simply isn't something I'd ever want to do no matter who the band is though, so the issue is moot for me), but I have definitely seen this as a problem with some others. I've actually observed actual post-show disappointment from fans because they didn't think the show had enough songs that they hadn't heard before or because there weren't enough rarities for their liking. I think those people should probably see fewer shows, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    rummy said:

I know the feeling very well. But at the same time I continuously remind myself that I am seeing them live at the moment, and there aren't a whole lot of places or a whole lot of things I'd rather be visiting or doing than taking it all in at a PJ show. That song or 2 will eventually come as long as this band continues to stick together and giving us somewhat of a tour every year. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,742
    nycrats said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    top ten longest pj shows:  so how many 3+ hour shows could there really be?

1) 3:21:18 - Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum Night 4) - 10/31/09
    2) 3:20:00 - Mansfield, MA - 7/11/03 (estimated length - Counting Arc, not included on official release)
    3) 3:16:48 - San Diego, CA - 11/21/2013
    4) 3:15:42 - Oakland, CA - 11/26/13
    5) 3:15.13 - Denver, CO - 10/22/14
    6) 3:13.17 - Leeds, UK - 7/8/14 (Longest European show - includes Real Me, missing from bootleg)
    7) 3:11:05 - Seattle, WA - 12/6/13
    8) 3:10:22 - State College, PA - 5/3/03
    9) 3:07.38 - Milwaukee, WI - 10/20/14
    10) 3:07.37 - Milton Keynes, UK - 7/11/14
    wheres the list from ?  is that time of actual music played as opposed to on/off stage?
    according to the fanview page wrigley 16 was aprox 3 hrs 17 mins

Walk On Music: Baba O’Riley (Lifehouse Elements version)
    Band On Stage: 8:02
    Band Off Stage: 11:19
    Those are the length of the boots I believe. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:

Yeah. I don't suffer from this because I don't see a lot of shows (not sure how I'd feel if I did see a ton of them... seeing the same band 50 times simply isn't something I'd ever want to do no matter who the band is though, so the issue is moot for me), but I have definitely seen this as a problem with some others. I've actually observed actual post-show disappointment from fans because they didn't think the show had enough songs that they hadn't heard before or because there weren't enough rarities for their liking. I think those people should probably see fewer shows, lol.
    Oddly enough, I've only seen them six times - and I still let the song hunting impact me. Shame on me, for sure!
  • Options
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:

Oddly enough, I've only seen them six times - and I still let the song hunting impact me. Shame on me, for sure!
    I've only seen them 5 times, and this has gotten to me too, unfortunately. I get all giddy when they play a song I hadn't heard live yet. it's a weird thing to focus on, but something that plagues many of us. and it's not just this band either, I'm a bit of a rarities hunter when it comes to other bands too. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    rummy said:

I know the feeling very well. But at the same time I continuously remind myself that I am seeing them live at the moment, and there aren't a whole lot of places or a whole lot of things I'd rather be visiting or doing than taking it all in at a PJ show. That song or 2 will eventually come as long as this band continues to stick together and giving us somewhat of a tour every year. 
    I hear ya! And don't get me wrong, I still enjoy myself. I love the atmosphere of a Pearl Jam show more than almost anything. But, for example, I caught myself being rather disappointed during the second encore of Toronto #2, 2016 when they played Better Man and Black (and I really like those two tunes) when they had played them the night before. I was hoping for, say, Jeremy (haven't witnessed it since my first show in 1998) and maybe Spin The Black Circle - a song I've never seen live. 
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    pearl jam has single handedly ruined all other shows for me because of this. I have to remind myself "no other band I like does this, it's normal to play only 20 songs!". 

Plus, out of those 20 songs, maybe the band only "takes" 22-25 on the road and 95% of the setlist is predictable based on previous nights.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options

Plus, out of those 20 songs, maybe the band only "takes" 22-25 on the road and 95% of the setlist is predictable based on previous nights.
    100%. I followed a canadian band around and saw them 7 times in the span of a year. save for a few rotations, the setlist was largely the same. it was admittedly a little difficult to get excited. 

after 30 years together, another band I love (and who is only a party time band now) is FINALLY throwing some rarities into their sets, and they only come here once a year or so, so it's a nice change. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com