Anthony Bourdain RIP

Devastated to hear this news.

Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    There's been mention of this on other food threads but this deserves its own thread so thank you, bluegrace.  Depression is so widespread these days.  We can talk all day about why that is, but the bottom line is, there seems to be more depression and anxiety than ever-- and I don't think just because there are more people than ever, I think by percentage both are higher.  I have dealt with both for about 25 years and have been lucky (one or two times by sheer dumb luck) to have survived thus far, so I try to lend an ear and be supportive of others who struggle with these afflictions.  I'm very saddened that Anthony Bourdain fell prey to the demons that haunted him.  Apparently he hanged himself with little preparation or premeditation to the act.  One brief period of extreme distress may be what did him in.  It's so important to reach out to others or at the very least call an emergency hot line. 

R.I.P Anthony Bourdain.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    This made me very sad. I have been a fan of his for a long time. May he rest in peace.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Drove by there today. It’s become a memorial for him. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I was extremely saddened when I read this news.  RIP
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    There's been mention of this on other food threads but this deserves its own thread so thank you, bluegrace.  Depression is so widespread these days.  We can talk all day about why that is, but the bottom line is, there seems to be more depression and anxiety than ever-- and I don't think just because there are more people than ever, I think by percentage both are higher.  I have dealt with both for about 25 years and have been lucky (one or two times by sheer dumb luck) to have survived thus far, so I try to lend an ear and be supportive of others who struggle with these afflictions.  I'm very saddened that Anthony Bourdain fell prey to the demons that haunted him.  Apparently he hanged himself with little preparation or premeditation to the act.  One brief period of extreme distress may be what did him in.  It's so important to reach out to others or at the very least call an emergency hot line. 

R.I.P Anthony Bourdain.
    We're becoming more and more disconnected as a society and mental illness/substance abuse/internet addiction is the result.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Funny I post the above as I am revising my lecture content for an exam and this link was embedded...
    https://nowthisnews.com/videos/news/johann-hari-thinks-everything-we-know-about-depression-could-be-wrong
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I miss igotid88
    A woman I know asked another lady she ran into if she had heard about Anthony Bourdain's death.  The other woman began to cry and pulled out her phone and showed a picture of her and Bourdain together.  He was a good friend of hers.  That really go to me. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    I was very suprised when i hear for this..RIP
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I love that he always seemed approachable and never really had a smug attitude.  Maybe that's just what we saw on television but I'd like to believe that he was genuinely a humble guy that just wanted to have good conversation with a backdrop of great food and a cold drink.  The man made a life out of something almost all of us would love to do - travel, eat, drink, shoot the shit, and laugh.  The whos, wheres, & whats were all irrelevant.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This is extremely sad... This one is kind of extra sad/lossy for me; the intellectual qualities that he embodied and extolled so publicly and widely are especially rare and precious IMO, and I don't feel like we can spare anyone who has them before their time. :frowning:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    This is extremely sad... This one is kind of extra sad/lossy for me; the intellectual qualities that he embodied and extolled so publicly and widely are especially rare and precious IMO, and I don't feel like we can spare anyone who has them before their time. :frowning:
    Ditto. This hurts the heart. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    been losing to many brilliant souls lately... RIP Anthony.  I never knew you, not even close.  But man did you have a seemingly direct link into my soul.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Ed dedicated Long Road to him and to David and Andy Spade who lost Kate Spade last week as well
    I miss igotid88
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 714
    edited June 2018
    I was shocked by this. I do not watch any TV, other than sports, but his shows whether it was No Reservations, the Layover, or Parts Unknown were shows that I did not miss. I felt I knew him, and he was such an inspiration to me. An inspiration not only in the sense of travel but that you should not be scared to try new things, meet other people. I come from a sheltered childhood. My early school days, everybody was white and when I went to high school and I was thrown in with every culture imaginable and I did not fit it. This put a strain on me. Anthony's shows allowed me to realise that not everybody is out to get you.
    Post edited by FactoryMan93 on
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I feel that way too, like I knew him, of course I didn't, but I think that's the way he made people feel.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    ”One constant, then and now, is my still ironclad ground rule regarding music both during and after work: In any kitchen where I am in control, there is a strict NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead policy. If you are seen visibly enjoying either act, whether during or even after your working hours, you can clean out your locker now. You’re fired.”
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ”One constant, then and now, is my still ironclad ground rule regarding music both during and after work: In any kitchen where I am in control, there is a strict NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead policy. If you are seen visibly enjoying either act, whether during or even after your working hours, you can clean out your locker now. You’re fired.”
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Damn.  All this time I could've worked in a Bourdain kitchen.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    May he Rest In Peace. Damnit.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    May he Rest In Peace. Damnit.
    ^^^ Yes, this!

When I hear about someone I admire (Robin, Chris, Anthony, etc)  committing suicide, the first thing I do is cry or even weep in response to that light suddenly having gone out.  And at some later point, I feel pissed because I keep thinking maybe it could have not happened.  And then I feel a bit of shame for nearly going down the same road myself.  And then I simply hope someone else will be as lucky as me. 

Life sucks all to hell so much of the time, but when it's good, its marvelous to be alive.

I saw a post on twitter the other day in response to Anthony Bourdain's death.  I'll paraphrase what it said because I don't recall it verbatim.

"We can post all the phone numbers and websites and hashtags for suicide prevention and that's great. But something more effective would be to stop treating each other like shit all the time!"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    This is gonna be a tough watch

https://t.co/sSSoacsD3Z?amp=1
    Finally watched Kenya...goodness, his final comments...

This world is a much much much worse place without this guy
    Anyone watching?  West Texas last night was pretty solid.  Super creepy to watch it without the narration, obviously knowing why. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Anyone watching?  West Texas last night was pretty solid.  Super creepy to watch it without the narration, obviously knowing why. 
    I tried.  Flipped away pretty quickly.  Hate the way things ended for him and not really wanting to watch this season yet.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I tried.  Flipped away pretty quickly.  Hate the way things ended for him and not really wanting to watch this season yet.
    Yeah, surely not an easy watch.  He is missed.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

The Last Curious Man

The enormous life of Anthony Bourdain, according to those who knew him best.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08