Official Neil Young Thread

1515254565764

Comments

  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 25,336
    Edved82 said:
    Running through some Neil stuff on Spotify today - Ragged Glory, Weld, Broken Arrow and some random stuff on YouTube. Christ that man is a legend.
    Amen!

    Anybody heard any more news about further upcoming Crazy Horse shows? 
    "Love and only love will break it down"
    -Neil Young
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.





  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, ILPosts: 2,907
    Going to see him live on June 30 in Chicago, can't wait
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - Saint Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - Saint Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)

    2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)

    RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

    RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 9,701
    Should I go see Crosby live in the fall? never really listened to his stuff...

    I'll skip Van Morrison and Graham Nash.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 25,336
    Should I go see Crosby live in the fall? never really listened to his stuff...

    I'll skip Van Morrison and Graham Nash.
    If I had to/ could choose between those three I would definitely go with Crosby.  If you do go, maybe give us a quick show review!  :smile:
    "Love and only love will break it down"
    -Neil Young
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.





  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 9,701
    Crosbys latest album is pretty good. Feels alot more worked-out than Neils latest efforts.-
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 25,336
    Crosbys latest album is pretty good. Feels alot more worked-out than Neils latest efforts.-
    Pretty amazing that guy is still around.  I've have all his books and enjoyed each one thoroughly. Good reads, good man!
    "Love and only love will break it down"
    -Neil Young
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.





  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 9,701
    brianlux said:
    Crosbys latest album is pretty good. Feels alot more worked-out than Neils latest efforts.-
    Pretty amazing that guy is still around.  I've have all his books and enjoyed each one thoroughly. Good reads, good man!
    Maybe... but he sounded like a sleeeezeeeeeeee when he was on the WIP podcast. Haha.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    Pretty epic score on the vinyl front for me recently.

    First up, the Roxy vinyl finally arrived, the first time an order from Neil’s site has taken this long. It’s great that you get a download on release day, but it’s always much nicer to have the wax.



    Then last week a collector friend of mine from back home gave me the heads up that these were available...







    They all arrived this morning and I’m still in shock. Dead Man and Broken Arrow are still sealed - they won’t be for long! - Lucky Thirteen is open but in really good condition.

    I’ve pretty much blown my record-buying budget for the year but it was well worth it :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 9,701
    goldrush said:
    Pretty epic score on the vinyl front for me recently.

    First up, the Roxy vinyl finally arrived, the first time an order from Neil’s site has taken this long. It’s great that you get a download on release day, but it’s always much nicer to have the wax.



    Then last week a collector friend of mine from back home gave me the heads up that these were available...







    They all arrived this morning and I’m still in shock. Dead Man and Broken Arrow are still sealed - they won’t be for long! - Lucky Thirteen is open but in really good condition.

    I’ve pretty much blown my record-buying budget for the year but it was well worth it :)
    How much did you have to give for them?

    Roxy was/is 40 dollars here. I can't really justify it.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    goldrush said:
    Pretty epic score on the vinyl front for me recently.

    First up, the Roxy vinyl finally arrived, the first time an order from Neil’s site has taken this long. It’s great that you get a download on release day, but it’s always much nicer to have the wax.



    Then last week a collector friend of mine from back home gave me the heads up that these were available...







    They all arrived this morning and I’m still in shock. Dead Man and Broken Arrow are still sealed - they won’t be for long! - Lucky Thirteen is open but in really good condition.

    I’ve pretty much blown my record-buying budget for the year but it was well worth it :)
    How much did you have to give for them?

    Roxy was/is 40 dollars here. I can't really justify it.
    Roxy was $30 on Neil's website. For some reason I always buy his new vinyl direct (a bit like only buying PJ vinyl from 10C I guess). The shipping is usually pretty quick; the last vinyl box set (ORS 8.5-12) arrived a couple of days after release day. 

    I paid 350 for the other 3. I think the split was 150 for Broken Arrow / 125 for Dead Man / 75 for Lucky Thirteen. I didn't intend to buy all 3, but I couldn't bring myself to leave any of them out!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Edved82Edved82 IrelandPosts: 937
    3 beauties there. Fair play! Broken Arrow is such a great NYCH record.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    “HUGE DROP OF UNRELEASED TRACKS!”

    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 16,014
    Once NYA goes mobile,  i'm 100% in
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 9,701
    I don't want to hang around that archive-thing...
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    Here’s a good article on the Archives:

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/04/neil-young-archives

    “And that’s why Neil Young Archives feels like a breakthrough. Here at last is an online presentation of an artist’s catalogue that presents the hits and the rarities, alongside all the relevant information about every track – the lineup, the location, the producer, where it was released, plus supporting documents, photos. It’s like one of the first wave of box sets expanded to its logical extreme, but still – despite its huge breadth – manageable in a way that the 18 CDs of Dylan’s The Cutting Edge just weren’t. You can concentrate on individual albums, or on periods of work; you can compare the solo work with the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young music from the same time. You can listen to study, or for pure pleasure.

    Of course, Neil Young has certain key advantages over other artists that have enabled him to do this: a fascination with the possibilities of technology, a bloody-minded determination to do what he wants, and the clout to get it done. But flicking through Neil Young Archives, the possibilities for other artists beam out like headlamps. Here’s the future, albeit the future of the past.”


    I’ll sign up when the subscriptions go live. I don’t spend too much time in there right now, but when the unreleased songs start dropping, $20 a year really isn’t that much (considering I pay a lot more for 10C membership)

    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 25,336
    goldrush said:
    Here’s a good article on the Archives:

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/04/neil-young-archives

    “And that’s why Neil Young Archives feels like a breakthrough. Here at last is an online presentation of an artist’s catalogue that presents the hits and the rarities, alongside all the relevant information about every track – the lineup, the location, the producer, where it was released, plus supporting documents, photos. It’s like one of the first wave of box sets expanded to its logical extreme, but still – despite its huge breadth – manageable in a way that the 18 CDs of Dylan’s The Cutting Edge just weren’t. You can concentrate on individual albums, or on periods of work; you can compare the solo work with the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young music from the same time. You can listen to study, or for pure pleasure.

    Of course, Neil Young has certain key advantages over other artists that have enabled him to do this: a fascination with the possibilities of technology, a bloody-minded determination to do what he wants, and the clout to get it done. But flicking through Neil Young Archives, the possibilities for other artists beam out like headlamps. Here’s the future, albeit the future of the past.”


    I’ll sign up when the subscriptions go live. I don’t spend too much time in there right now, but when the unreleased songs start dropping, $20 a year really isn’t that much (considering I pay a lot more for 10C membership)

    Thanks for posting that!

    $20 a year?  Sounds like a bargain to me!


    "Love and only love will break it down"
    -Neil Young
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.





  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 9,701
    I don't need it, and I would not really use it. But it is nifty for those who need it I guess. 

    But I guess  I have to dive in because of the unreleased songs.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    I don't need it, and I would not really use it. But it is nifty for those who need it I guess. 

    But I guess  I have to dive in because of the unreleased songs.
    It looks like all of the unreleased records will get a normal release, but you get to hear them first on the Archives site. Not sure how it will work with individual songs that may not be on albums.

    $20 when I already have all of Neil’s released songs may seem unnecessary, but the way I look at it is that I pay a lot more for 10C membership and only get a 7” single, when they bother to do it, and forum access. $20 for first-listen of unreleased music is ok by me, especially when it goes onto mobile at the end of the year.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 16,014
    Don't forget presale tix
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    Last night’s Libero Theatre set list 

    1. Rockin' In The Free World
    2. Love And War
    3. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    4. Sign Of Love
    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You (first time played)
    6. Angry World (first time played)
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    10. The Ocean (Micah Nelson song)
    11. Forget About Georgia (Lucas Nelson song)
    12. Love And Only Love
    13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

    It’s extremely rare that RITFW opens a set. It’s only ever happened at a couple of benefits, apparently. Quite a few Le Noise songs in there too.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,783
    goldrush said:
    Last night’s Libero Theatre set list 

    1. Rockin' In The Free World
    2. Love And War
    3. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    4. Sign Of Love
    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You (first time played)
    6. Angry World (first time played)
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    10. The Ocean (Micah Nelson song)
    11. Forget About Georgia (Lucas Nelson song)
    12. Love And Only Love
    13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

    It’s extremely rare that RITFW opens a set. It’s only ever happened at a couple of benefits, apparently. Quite a few Le Noise songs in there too.

    oh Damn, I thought the Le Noise songs wouldn't get played again. such a unique setup needed to really get those to sound right. was this a full band show or Neil solo?

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    Last night’s Libero Theatre set list 

    1. Rockin' In The Free World
    2. Love And War
    3. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    4. Sign Of Love
    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You (first time played)
    6. Angry World (first time played)
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    10. The Ocean (Micah Nelson song)
    11. Forget About Georgia (Lucas Nelson song)
    12. Love And Only Love
    13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

    It’s extremely rare that RITFW opens a set. It’s only ever happened at a couple of benefits, apparently. Quite a few Le Noise songs in there too.

    oh Damn, I thought the Le Noise songs wouldn't get played again. such a unique setup needed to really get those to sound right. was this a full band show or Neil solo?
    Promise of the Real were with him
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,783
    goldrush said:
    lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    Last night’s Libero Theatre set list 

    1. Rockin' In The Free World
    2. Love And War
    3. Peaceful Valley Boulevard
    4. Sign Of Love
    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You (first time played)
    6. Angry World (first time played)
    7. Human Highway
    8. Out On The Weekend
    9. Unknown Legend
    10. The Ocean (Micah Nelson song)
    11. Forget About Georgia (Lucas Nelson song)
    12. Love And Only Love
    13. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
    ---
    14. F*!#in' Up
    15. Roll Another Number

    It’s extremely rare that RITFW opens a set. It’s only ever happened at a couple of benefits, apparently. Quite a few Le Noise songs in there too.

    oh Damn, I thought the Le Noise songs wouldn't get played again. such a unique setup needed to really get those to sound right. was this a full band show or Neil solo?
    Promise of the Real were with him

    wow. I would like to hear a bootleg of this show.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh 27Posts: 525
    Looks like Promise Of The Real.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    edited June 21
    Looks like there’s a live stream of the second show about to happen on the NYA site!!


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,303
    goldrush said:
    Looks like there’s a live stream of the second show about to happen on the NYA site!!

    Welp, that was awesome. Thanks for the heads up! 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,209
    adusick said:
    goldrush said:
    Looks like there’s a live stream of the second show about to happen on the NYA site!!

    Welp, that was awesome. Thanks for the heads up! 
    All good. Glad you caught it! Not many people would start a show with a 20 minute version of Like An Inca but that's Neil!
    I thought the Le Noise songs sounded pretty cool with a full band too.

    Set List:

    1. Like an Inca

    2. Lotta Love

    3. I Am a Child

    4. Sign of Love

    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You

    6. Rockin' in the Free World

    7. Love and War

    8. Peaceful Valley Boulevard

    9. The Ocean

    10. Forget About Georgia

    11. Powderfinger

    12. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

    Encore

    13. Angry World

    14. Like a Hurricane


    From the NYA announcement:
    "I Am A Child will be performed for the children and babies who have been separated from their moms and dads by the United States of America. Unfortunate and shameful, yet true"
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,783
    goldrush said:
    adusick said:
    goldrush said:
    Looks like there’s a live stream of the second show about to happen on the NYA site!!

    Welp, that was awesome. Thanks for the heads up! 
    All good. Glad you caught it! Not many people would start a show with a 20 minute version of Like An Inca but that's Neil!
    I thought the Le Noise songs sounded pretty cool with a full band too.

    Set List:

    1. Like an Inca

    2. Lotta Love

    3. I Am a Child

    4. Sign of Love

    5. Someone's Gonna Rescue You

    6. Rockin' in the Free World

    7. Love and War

    8. Peaceful Valley Boulevard

    9. The Ocean

    10. Forget About Georgia

    11. Powderfinger

    12. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

    Encore

    13. Angry World

    14. Like a Hurricane


    From the NYA announcement:
    "I Am A Child will be performed for the children and babies who have been separated from their moms and dads by the United States of America. Unfortunate and shameful, yet true"

    damn, I missed the stream

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

    1995- New Orleans, LA

    1996- Charleston, SC

    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

    2006- Cincinnati, OH

    2008- Columbia, SC

    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2

    2010- Bristow, VA

    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL

    2012- Atlanta, GA

    2013- Charlotte, NC

    2014- Cincinnati, OH

    2015- New York, NY

    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

    2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 16,014
    Me too
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 25,336
    Same here.  I need to check in here more often!
    "Love and only love will break it down"
    -Neil Young
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.





Sign In or Register to comment.