The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Nova gets another good recruit. I saw this kid play against Roman Cath, and last night in Conshohocken where he had 30 & 15. 

I like what he says he needs to work on, as i think he needs to work on those too. 

Abington’s Eric Dixon commits to Villanova University

http://www.theintell.com/sports/20180417/abingtons-eric-dixon-commits-to-villanova-university

Junior forward, an inside-outside threat, chooses National Champion Wildcats over Virginia, Seton Hall and Louisville.

It seems so far in the future.

After all, Eric Dixon has a whole offseason of AAU basketball in front of him, as well as a senior year at Abington where he is poised to become the school’s all-time leading scorer and take another shot at an elusive state championship.

Villanova, meanwhile, still basking in the glow of a second national championship in three years, faces the task of replacing its top two players as it looks toward the 2018-19 season.

But in August 2019, Dixon will enroll in Villanova, as he looks to join the Wildcats program and the championship tradition established under coach Jay Wright. Tuesday at Abington, Dixon announced his intentions, verbally committing to Villanova.

“It was a good day,” Dixon said by telephone on Tuesday night. “It feels really good to be honest, to finally let it be public, to be there with my family. Now, I have to focus on getting better, to help myself reach that level of play.”

The 6-foot-7 forward, who is an excellent low-post finisher but also is a better-than-average 3-point shooter as well, was also considering Virginia, Seton Hall and Louisville.

“It wasn’t really basketball,” Dixon said about what made Villanova stand out. “Virginia, Louisville, Seton Hall, they’re all good programs that win a lot of games. It’s the culture of Villanova that made the difference, and to know that my community, my friends and my family can come see me play at the highest level.”

Tuesday in the high school auditorium, Dixon used an impressive 47-second video, dubbed “The Commitment” to explain his journey, thank his family and coaches, and eventually reveal a Villanova T-shirt to announce his choice.

As a junior, Dixon averaged over 24 points a game, and on a team with fellow Division I recruits Robbie Heath and Lucas Monroe, led Abington to an eighth straight Suburban One League National Conference title and a repeat District One Class 6A championship.

He scored a season-high 35 points in Abington’s state quarterfinal loss to Hazleton.

Now that he knows where he’ll play his college ball, Dixon knows what he needs to do to get better and prepare to contribute from Day One with the Villanova program.

“I have to work on conditioning, being quicker, improving my outside game and just learning the game more. I have to become a smarter player."
    My friend, who's a scout and seen this kid play told me he's REAL GOOD.

Justin Moore ‘19 commits to Villanova hoops. Will be first Stag to play hoops at Nova. Brian Westbrook ‘97 @36westbrook played hoops & football @ DM & made history playing football at Nov

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    cutz said:

Justin Moore ‘19 commits to Villanova hoops. Will be first Stag to play hoops at Nova. Brian Westbrook ‘97 @36westbrook played hoops & football @ DM & made history playing football at Nov

The rich get richer, eh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:

The rich get richer, eh?
    Oh yeah. Winning the National Championship probably helps. With Moore & Eric Dixon Nova is off to a good start for '19 recruiting class.

I know Nova was recruiting  last year's Catholic League Player of the year Isiah Wong form Bonner.  I'm not sure if  Moore plays the same position as Wong, and if so will Nova still try for Wong?  I'll have to ask my friend about that. 

I also know that Nova is recruiting 2 kids from The Ranney School in NJ. Ther both around the Top 10 players in the Country. I saw them play 3 times last year and ther the real deal. One game i was at Jay Wright was there. But, the EARLY RUMOR is, they were gonna go to the same school, that they may not now. The rumor i heard was one was leaning to Duke and the other was leaning to Florida. Florida?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Didn't Nova get a kid that was getting paid by Arizona? Jay Wright going to the dark side.
    Didn't Nova get a kid that was getting paid by Arizona? Jay Wright going to the dark side.
    edited May 2018

I'd be surprised if Jay Wright takes him if he wasn't eligible. And if he isn't, then it was Arizona's fault not Nova.
    Post edited by cutz on
    cutz said:

I'd be surprised if Jay Wright takes him if he wasn't eligible. And if he isn't, then it was Arizona's fault not Nova.

I think he's talking about Quinerly. He verbally committed to AZ and then switched to Nova. So it's not like Nova did anything wrong. They got him because Arizona was doing shady stuff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:

I think he's talking about Quinerly. He verbally committed to AZ and then switched to Nova. So it's not like Nova did anything wrong. They got him because Arizona was doing shady stuff.
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe he was one of the guys that was supposed to get paid though.  I thought he was one of the names on the taps.
    cutz said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe he was one of the guys that was supposed to get paid though.  I thought he was one of the names on the taps.

You might be right. I just remember being bummed that he chose them over Nova last year. If he was, though, how does that mean Jay is going to the dark side? Wouldn't the dark side be the one on the tape offering him money?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited May 2018

Post edited by pjhawks on
    cutz said:

You might be right. I just remember being bummed that he chose them over Nova last year. If he was, though, how does that mean Jay is going to the dark side? Wouldn't the dark side be the one on the tape offering him money?
    He was player #3 (if i recall correctly) on the FBI information. No names of players were listed but going through the dates was pretty clear he was the player based on date of his commitment to Arizona. Surprised Nova took him though.  he could be looking at a NCAA suspension if information is released before the season. I know one of the trials is supposed to happen in September.
    Yeah, I'm just surprised that Wright would go near a kid with that baggage. 

Well they probably feel like they know him really well since they recruited the hell out of him last year. So the upside is a 5 star guard falls into their lap to replace Brunson this year....downside is they have to wait a year for him if he gets suspended, I guess. Seems like a decent risk/reward.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2018

Well they probably feel like they know him really well since they recruited the hell out of him last year. So the upside is a 5 star guard falls into their lap to replace Brunson this year....downside is they have to wait a year for him if he gets suspended, I guess. Seems like a decent risk/reward.
    Or maybe Wright was the second highest bidder the first time around? :smiley:

Or maybe Wright was the second highest bidder the first time around? :smiley:
    That’s not how they do things on the Main Line, Cliff
    chinese-happy.jpg
    so Rick Brunson is at it again huh?  Resigned from the TWolves amid allegations of improper treatment of women.  I guess he didn't learn from the stalking and assault of the gym employee a few years ago. Classy guy apparently.

and Nova getting the grad transfer from Albany makes it seem like Divencenzo isn't coming back.

Lasalle hiring a guy who was on Pitino's staff at Louisville as assistant coach - good news for Philly hookers? i kid :lol:
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Lasalle has basically been a probation for years anyway. This coach won't hurt that.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

The rich get richer, eh?
    Oh yeah. Winning the National Championship probably helps. With Moore & Eric Dixon Nova is off to a good start for '19 recruiting class.

I know Nova was recruiting  last year's Catholic League Player of the year Isiah Wong form Bonner.  I'm not sure if  Moore plays the same position as Wong, and if so will Nova still try for Wong?  I'll have to ask my friend about that. 

I also know that Nova is recruiting 2 kids from The Ranney School in NJ. Ther both around the Top 10 players in the Country. I saw them play 3 times last year and ther the real deal. One game i was at Jay Wright was there. But, the EARLY RUMOR is, they were gonna go to the same school, that they may not now. The rumor i heard was one was leaning to Duke and the other was leaning to Florida. Florida?
    I was told by my friend that he is not sure if Nova will still try and recruit Isiah Wong, but his guess is more no then yes. 

I guess it depends how DiVencenzo  does in team workouts and the feedback he gets from those, on whether he stays or not? I saw some Mock Drafts that has him going late first round or not drafted at all. Though, i take the Mock Drafts with a grain of salt. We shall see. Same with Spellman.
    Well, looks like Donte DiVincenzo is staying in the Draft. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/05/17/villanovas-donte-divincenzo-plans-to-remain-in-nba-draft-if-hes-a-projected-first-round-pick/

Villanova’s Donte DiVincenzo plans to remain in NBA Draft if he’s a projected first-round pick

Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
    By ADAM ZAGORIA

Donte DiVincenzo appeared to impress NBA scouts during his first 5-on-5 scrimmage at the NBA Draft Combine on Thursday in Chicago.

And that could turn out to be good news for DiVincenzo and bad news for Villanova fans. The 6-foot-5 DiVincenzo told ESPN.com that he expects to be a first-round pick and is inclined to remain in the Draft if he is.

“I think I have a really good chance to being a late first-round pick,” DiVincenzo told ESPN. “Obviously, things can change, other people can fall in the draft. I’m aware of that. But my confidence level is that I can be a first-round pick.”

DiVincenzo scored 31 points in the NCAA championship game win over Michigan and could have opted to leave that lasting image in the mind’s of NBA scouts. But since then he has worked out for the Utah Jazz and is now one of four Villanova guys at the Combine — along with Mikal Bridges, Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman, who, like DiVincenzo, is testing the waters without an agent.

“I can show a lot more than I showed in that [NCAA title] game,” DiVincenzo told ESPN. “Just because my shot was falling in the game, maybe I didn’t get to show that I can still create for my teammates. I can still rebound the ball. I can still defend. I can still compete at a higher level than I did in the game.”

Great first half from Donte DiVincenzo. Plays such a physical brand of basketball. Making the right plays passing ahead. Hit one deeeep NBA 3. Really playing confidently. I was skeptical about him playing here after his Final Four, but he's no question helping himself here.

DiVincenzo has been working out with former Kansas star Kirk Hinrich, who is impressed by DiVincenzo.

“I see him as a very unique guy and almost hard to compare to anyone else in the NBA, which I think is a positive,” Hinrich said. “He’s so versatile offensively and can play and defend multiple positions. And he can do it right away in the NBA. I didn’t realize how athletic and strong he was. He surpassed my expectations.”

As a precaution in case DiVincenzo does leave, Villanova added Albany grad transfer Joe Cremowho averaged 17.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists last season.

“Two of our guys [Donte and Omari] weren’t even’t thinking about [the NBA], now we might lose both of them,” Villanova coach Jay Wright said recently on Michael Kay’s radio show.

If DiVincenzo and/or Spellman leave, ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla says it will help Wright recruit because he will have produced more and more NBA players.

“If Omari and Donte want to check out after the national championship it will hurt their program temporarily but in the long term it’s actually a selling point that this many guys who play the right way and are not typical one-and-done guys can have success both in college and with a chance to go to the NBA like Josh Hart and Ryan Arcidiacono,” he told ZAGSBLOG.

WRITTEN BY ADAM ZAGORIA

Zagoria@hotmail.com

Adam Zagoria is a Basketball Insider who covers basketball at all levels. A contributor to The New York Times and SportsNet New York (SNY), he is also the author of two books and is an award-winning journalist and filmmaker. His articles have appeared in ESPN The Magazine, SLAM, Sheridan Hoops, Basketball Times and in newspapers nationwide. He also won an Emmy award for his work on the SNY mini-documentary on Syracuse guard Tyus Battle. A veteran Ultimate Frisbee player, he has competed in numerous National and World Championships and, perhaps more importantly, his teams won the Westchester Summer League (WSL) championships in 2011 and 2013. He lives in Manhattan with his wife and children.

As much as I love Divincenzo...I don't think he's ready for the NBA.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    He's close, but i think he should come back for one more season. That way he'll be a First round lock, and make more money too.
    cutz said:
    He's close, but i think he should come back for one more season. That way he'll be a First round lock, and make more money too.
    Always a tough call but supposedly he was great at the draft combine.  How high could his stock get if he comes back?  not sure his stock would be higher than it is now.

Spellman is the one who should probably come back. Haven't heard much about him at this point.

pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    Always a tough call but supposedly he was great at the draft combine.  How high could his stock get if he comes back?  not sure his stock would be higher than it is now.

Spellman is the one who should probably come back. Haven't heard much about him at this point.

Most Mock Drafts i've seen have DeVincenzo very late in the first round or in the 2nd round. Yeah, i've read he's had a good Combine so maybe that gets him in the first round? But, if you believe what the talking heads are saying, that next year's Draft is not a strong one. Reading his quotes though it sounds like he's gonna stay in this Draft.

Yeah, now that you mention it: I haven't heard anything on Spellman either.

What is the Date that the players who haven't hired a Agent, pull their names out of the Draft?
    I just read SI Mock and they have DiVencenzo going #20. Spellman going 40. College players have until May 30th to withdraw(those who haven't hired a Agent) Non -NCAA prospects have until June 11th to withdraw.

http://amp.si.com/nba/2018/05/21/2018-nba-mock-draft-combine-lottery-projections-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-donte-divincenzo?__twitter_impression=true

I guess this is not surprising.

https://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-basketball/2018/5/29/17401020/villanova-basketball-donte-divincenzo-nba-draft-signs-agent

Villanova guard Donte DiVincenzo to remain in the NBA Draft

The Big Ragu is striking while the iron is hot.

Donte DiVincenzo will officially remain in the NBA Draft, foregoing his remaining two years of eligibility with the Villanova Wildcats.

Donte posted the following note to his Instagram page announcing the decision.

I want to thank Nova Nation for an amazing season this year and the unbelievable amount of support throughout. The Villanova Community has done nothing but support and motivate me to become the best player and person I can be. I love everything about college and Villanova including the amazing people from the professors, staff members, and all the fans across the country. I want to thank my teammates and coaches for helping me get to this point. My teammates are my brothers and will share a bond forever. I thank Coach Wright for challenging me day in and day out all while loving me like a son. I would not be in the position I am today if it was not for him and the Villanova Basketball program. After gathering all of the information possible, my decision is to keep my name in the NBA draft and plan to hire an agent. I thank everyone who has helped me reach this decision because it was not easy. I strive to get better as a person and a player everyday, everything that Villanova has instilled in me will allow me to reach all goals I have in mind. Thank you everyone who has supported me and the continuous support going forward. Once a Wildcat, Always a Wildcat. I love you Nova Nation. \\\///

DiVincenzo wasn’t considered a pro-ready prospect for most of the season, but his 31-point breakout performance in the National Championship game put him on the radar. An impressive showing at the NBA Draft Combine made this decision almost a certainty heading down the stretch towards the May 30th deadline.

DiVincenzo is currently projected anywhere from mid-late first round to early second round in most mock drafts but has been on the rise since the NBA Combine. While his measurables are average, he possesses above-average athleticism and his scoring ability and defensive potential should translate well to the next level.

The loss of DiVincenzo stings Villanova in the immediate future as he would have likely been a preseason All-American entering next season. Jay Wright has already begun to plug the hole with the addition of grad transfer Joe Cremo. Top-60 prospect Justin Moore is already committed for the following season as well.

Best of luck on Draft Night to Ragu, and thank you for the memories on the Main Line!
    cutz said:
    I guess this is not surprising.

https://www.vuhoops.com/villanova-basketball/2018/5/29/17401020/villanova-basketball-donte-divincenzo-nba-draft-signs-agent

Villanova guard Donte DiVincenzo to remain in the NBA Draft

The Big Ragu is striking while the iron is hot.

Donte DiVincenzo will officially remain in the NBA Draft, foregoing his remaining two years of eligibility with the Villanova Wildcats.

Donte posted the following note to his Instagram page announcing the decision.

I want to thank Nova Nation for an amazing season this year and the unbelievable amount of support throughout. The Villanova Community has done nothing but support and motivate me to become the best player and person I can be. I love everything about college and Villanova including the amazing people from the professors, staff members, and all the fans across the country. I want to thank my teammates and coaches for helping me get to this point. My teammates are my brothers and will share a bond forever. I thank Coach Wright for challenging me day in and day out all while loving me like a son. I would not be in the position I am today if it was not for him and the Villanova Basketball program. After gathering all of the information possible, my decision is to keep my name in the NBA draft and plan to hire an agent. I thank everyone who has helped me reach this decision because it was not easy. I strive to get better as a person and a player everyday, everything that Villanova has instilled in me will allow me to reach all goals I have in mind. Thank you everyone who has supported me and the continuous support going forward. Once a Wildcat, Always a Wildcat. I love you Nova Nation. \\\///

DiVincenzo wasn’t considered a pro-ready prospect for most of the season, but his 31-point breakout performance in the National Championship game put him on the radar. An impressive showing at the NBA Draft Combine made this decision almost a certainty heading down the stretch towards the May 30th deadline.

DiVincenzo is currently projected anywhere from mid-late first round to early second round in most mock drafts but has been on the rise since the NBA Combine. While his measurables are average, he possesses above-average athleticism and his scoring ability and defensive potential should translate well to the next level.

The loss of DiVincenzo stings Villanova in the immediate future as he would have likely been a preseason All-American entering next season. Jay Wright has already begun to plug the hole with the addition of grad transfer Joe Cremo. Top-60 prospect Justin Moore is already committed for the following season as well.

Best of luck on Draft Night to Ragu, and thank you for the memories on the Main Line!
    only started 12 games in his career and will be a 1st round pick most likely. gotta love today's NBA.
    edited May 2018

Would be a lot more upset if Nova was not...you know, the reigning National Champions again.

Plus two first rounders, including a lottery pick, and three overall drafted means great things for the future...

But that said--I'm praying Spellman changes his mind and comes back for one more year.

chinese-happy.jpg

Would be a lot more upset if Nova was not...you know, the reigning National Champions again.

Plus two first rounders, including a lottery pick, and three overall drafted means great things for the future...

But that said--I'm praying Spellman changes his mind and comes back for one more year.

Spellman staying in draft.  that one surprises me a bit.
    pjhawks said:

Spellman staying in draft.  that one surprises me a bit.
    Yeah, i'm surprised too.