The Trap Set Live from KEXP, Seattle with Matt Cameron

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
edited May 2018 in The Porch
https://pearljam.com/news/matt-cameron-to-participate-in-live-drummer-panel

Matt Cameron to Participate in Live Drummer Panel

News March 19 2018 

The Trap Set Live at KEXP, Thu. 4/12 @ 7PM
    472 1st Ave N, Seattle

Join Matt and fellow Emerald City drummers Ruby Dunphy (Thunderpussy), Tendai Maraire (Shabazz Palaces), and Jason McGerr (Death Cab for Cutie) for a live panel discussion hosted by Joe Wong. 

Joe Wong is an LA-based drummer, composer, and co-creator of The Trap Set, a podcast about the lives and careers of drummers. Because of the show's focus on universal human interest stories, it is enjoyed by drummers and non-drummers alike. 

This rare event will be recorded at the KEXP gathering space in Seattle for release the following week on The Trap Set podcast.

Admission is FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC on a first come, first serve basis. 

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
      @KEXP ...

The Trap Set with Joe Wong podcast will be recording an episode from the KEXP Gathering Space on Thursday, April 12th at 7 PM. Joe Wong, host of the podcast, will be interviewing Pacific Northwest drummers about their lives.

Guests include Matt Cameron of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, Ruby Dunphy of Thunderpussy, Tendai Maraire of Shabazz Palaces, and Jason McGerr of Death Cab for Cutie on our stage.

This free, all ages event begins at 7PM. Space and seating is first come, first served.
    • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
      demetrios said:
      Boom needs to get out of the sun.

themattcameron PNW drummers uniting for a live version of @thetrapset at @kexp
      Banging the Drum for Tomorrow's Trap Set Panelists: Matt Cameron, Ruby Dunphy, Tendai Maraire, Jason McGerr

KEXP Events
      04/11/2018
      KEXP

Tomorrow, Thursday, April 12, KEXP will host a special evening with The Trap Set, a podcast produced out of Los Angeles that focuses on the lives of drummers. They release a new episode every Wednesday that you can get for free, either by subscribing or listening to episodes on their website. (In fact, if you can't make tomorrow's event, just wait 'til next Wednesday when they release the talk as an episode!)

This FREE, All Ages event will start at 7:00 PM, and will feature an excellent panel of Seattle drummers: Matt Cameron of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, Ruby Dunphy of Thunderpussy, Tendai Maraire of Shabazz Palaces and Chimurenga Renaissance, and Jason McGerr of Death Cab For Cutie. 

photo by Jim Bennett

• Talk about high demand: Matt Cameron is so good, he drums for two of Seattle's top rock acts, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. In a 1996 interview with UK magazine Kerrang!, his bandmate Chris Cornell said, "When I first met Matt [in 1986], he was already the best drummer in town." His Pearl Jam bandmate Eddie Vedder takes it a step further in the liner notes for their 2003 Lost Dogs compilation: "Matt Cameron writes songs and we run to find step stools in order to reach his level...what comes naturally to him leaves us with our heads cocked like the confused dogs that we are...eventually getting it. Did we mention he's the greatest drummer on the planet?" Cameron returned the compliment in an interview with The Pulse Of Radio, describing his style of drumming with each band: "I definitely feel like I support the vocal in both groups. The music around the vocal is a little bit different. But that's the way I've always considered my drumming, is vocal-influenced. I've been lucky enough to play with two of the best singers in modern day history, so I think that's always sort of been my strength as a drummer."

Late last year, Cameron released his debut solo album, Cavedweller, via Pearl Jam's indie label imprint Monkeywrench Records. The release features Cameron as producer, writer, singer, and guitarist, but not as drummer. He recruited drummer Mark Giuliana and bassist Tim Lefebvre for his rhythm section; both appeared on David Bowie's final album ★ (Blackstar).

photo by Alex Crick

Ruby Dunphy of Thunderpussy always knew she would grow up to become a drummer. In an interview with Tom Tom Magazine, she explains, "I knew I was going to play in a band forever.” Dunphy studied classical and jazz percussion for four years at Chicago High School for the Arts before relocating here to Seattle to study jazz instrumentalist drumming at Cornish College of the Art.

She describes her particular style to Tom Tom Mag as: "In it’s rawest and sincerest state, my playing is a fast, heavily subdivided, double stroke driven formulation of every thought in my head that I didn’t know existed. In all genres, I fall into a consistent search for how my playing (which is always influenced by the other performers present) can embellish, shape, and at times manipulate the time or pulse that the music is implying."

photo by Renata Steiner

• Tendai Maraire was born into music. His father was musician and ethnomusicologist Dumisani Maraire, master performer of the mbira, a "thumb piano" that's formed with attached staggered metal tines on a wooden board. It's a traditional instrument of the Shona ethnic group of Zimbabwe, where Dumisani was born and raised. In an interview with Paste Magazine, Tendai reflects, "As the story goes, I was 18-months old and my parents were teaching a class, and I got up and started playing the drums and that was it. It immediately threw me into the fire... Because our family is generations of musicians and teachers. I just picked it up and was around it." He followed in his father's footsteps, playing the mbira with Auto-Tune, creating a unique, other-worldly sound that caught the attention of his Shabazz Palaces bandmate Ishmael Butler.

Maraire uses an assortment of African instruments in his work with Shabazz Palaces, as well as his side project Chimurenga Renaissance. Beats created with traditional folk percussions like ngoma, the hosho (a seed-filled gourd), and the aforementioned mbira are combined with electronics, creating his inimitable, postmodern Afro-futuristic hip-hop sound.

photo by Chona Kasinger

• Jason McGerr was not the first drummer for Death Cab for Cutie, but he will most likely be their last. In a 2006 interview with Discorder, frontman/founding member Ben Gibbard declared that he "definitely believe[s] this will be the last drummer we'll ever have. It's kind of come full circle. It makes more sense having him than it has anyone else that's ever played with us." McGerr had previously played with Gibbard and DCFC bassist Nick Harmer in the Bellingham band Eureka Farm, and came aboard on the band's 2003 album Transatlanticism.

Starting with a snare drum at age 10, and then a full kit at age 14, McGerr started taking classes at the Seattle Drum School in 1992, studying with owner Steve Smith. In an interview with Drummer World, he says, "Steve taught me a great deal about his many systems of independence. He also taught me how to teach myself….. And now I teach at his school because I believe in his curriculum." McGerr became a full-time Private Instructor for 10 years there, growing so quickly in reputation that he was soon teaching six days a week to upwards of 60 students, ranging in age from 4 to 60-years-old. He even gave lessons to fellow panelist Matt Cameron! He occasionally continues to teach there when he's not busy with the band. 

The Trap Set LIVE at KEXP starts at 7:00 PM in the KEXP Gathering Space, FREE and open to all. Space and seating is first come, first served.

carrielynnp What an amazing and inspiring night listening to the recording of the podcast The Trap Set hosted by Jeff Wong. He interviewed Matt Cameron from Pearl Jam & Soundgarden, Ruby Dunphy from Thunderpussy, Tendai Maraire from Shabazz Palaces and Jason McGerr from Death Cab for Cutie.
      ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
      I enjoyed hearing their stories and views on different topics from mentors to outdoor shows to how they would teach if they had a student. One thing that stuck out to me was that they were constantly on the self improvement path. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
      “Get better.” “It needs to be perfect.”
      “Is it good enough?”
      ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
      As someone who struggles with slowing down, trying to accomplish everything, and constantly driving myself toward self improvement, it was humbling and (oddly) relieving to hear some of the most talented drummers repeat the same script to themselves that runs in my head. I appreciate their honesty and willingness to share their challenges with us. Jason mentioned that he’s learned a lot about himself from drumming and I realized how true that is for me. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
      I grew up in the south in Mississippi, so I didn’t have these opportunities when I was a kid. I don’t take for granted events like this where I can hear people whose musical talent and hard work I respect and also get to meet them. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
      I had all four of them sign this poster from @Littlefriendsof. Thanks for creating such a cool poster for me to remember this night. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Thanks so much to everyone that participated! •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

themattcameron Many thanks to Joe Wong for the @thetrapset gathering at @kexp All Thanks to @jonszanto @keplingerdrums
      Podcast will air April 18th over @ http://www.thetrapset.net/#live-events 

167: Live from KEXP, Seattle

www.thetrapset.net/167-live-from-kexp-seattle/

This week, we share Joe’s epic live panel with Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam); Ruby Dunphy (Thunderpussy); Tendai Maraire (Shabazz Palaces); and Jason McGerr (Death Cab for Cutie). This episode was recorded in front of a capacity crowd at KEXP in Seattle.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
      Is there a link floating around D? :smile:
      Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
      Pap said:
      No direct download. Will try to capture it later tonight.

demetrios said:
      Pap said:
      No direct download. Will try to capture it later tonight.
      Thanks!
      Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
      edited May 2018
      Ruby's chat with Pearl Jam's Matt Cameron, Death Cab for Cutie's Jason McGerr, and Shabazz Palaces' Tendai Maraire on The Trap Set with Joe Wong podcast is now available! Listen here: https://apple.co/2L5E2IP

https://pearljam.com/news/matt-cameron-on-the-trap-set

Matt Cameron on The Trap Set

News May 17 2018

Last month, Matt joined Tendai Maraire (Shabazz Palaces), Jason McGerr (Death Cab for Cutie), and Ruby Dunphy (Thunderpussy) for a panel discussion with The Trap Set hosted by Joe Wong.

The panel focused on human interest stories about the lives and careers of drummers and was recorded before a live audience at the KEXP Gathering Space in Seattle.

Photo Credit: Caroline Anne for KEXP, Seattle, WA, 4/12/18

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
      I wonder if they know the urban definition of "trap"?
      Any direct link for us without iTunes?
      Pap said:
      Any direct link for us without iTunes?
      Check yeah pm. :) 
      Gracias amigo! :smiley:
      No problemo! A friend was able to help me out with the source. 

thetrapset

“Into Nothing”, the first single from my upcoming album MERE SURVIVAL is out now! Drums by the mighty @themattcameron , co-produced by @marytimony , mixed by Dave Fridmann @tarboxroadstudios , arrangements by @pjcartwright. Art by @jmoyns ! Listen wherever you listen!