The Pizza Thread

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    hedonist said:
    I've never heard of that version of a wedgie.  Is it similar to calzone?

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but no frozen pizza could touch the original Wolfgang Puck's.  I believe Linda McCartney (RIPx10) had one too in her frozen vegetarian line.
    It’s more like a panini.

There’s a local chain near me called “Fox’s Pizza” that has wedgies, they’re pretty good but I rarely get one. I think my favorite is this one that has shaved beef, bacon, and cheddar cheese. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wobbie said:
    hedonist said:
    I've never heard of that version of a wedgie.  Is it similar to calzone?

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but no frozen pizza could touch the original Wolfgang Puck's.  I believe Linda McCartney (RIPx10) had one too in her frozen vegetarian line.

red baron?
    I don't think I've ever had that.  But it's funny how the only "with everything" pizzas I eat are of the frozen variety.  Mama Celeste!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I m in del s favorite aisle

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Took my son to a 5 yr old bday party at a bowling alley today. “Pizza” was served. Let’s just say they’re not making it from scratch in the back. Lol 
  • mcgruff10 said:

I can honestly say I haven't had frozen pizza for over 20 years.

I remember at university we would spread ragu over pita shells and place cheddar and black forest ham for toppings- thinking we were pizza cooking gurus.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    My 10 year old daughter has recently discovered the cook book isle of her school library. We've been experimenting with 80's recipes for weeks. Tonight's menu is a pizza fondue. I'll keep you posted! :i_dunno:

mcgruff10 said:

I can honestly say I haven't had frozen pizza for over 20 years.

I remember at university we would spread ragu over pita shells and place cheddar and black forest ham for toppings- thinking we were pizza cooking gurus.
    god damn that sounds good!
    So has anyone ever heard of mountain pies? I think they might have other names in different regions, but they’re very popular here in western PA, and the best kind is pizza. You cook them on a campfire and they are the shit. This was last night at my uncles camp. 1 pizza mountain pie and one lemon/blackberry. 
    Looks for like a hot pocket or calzone than a pizza.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Looks for like a hot pocket or calzone than a pizza.
    Yeah we just call them pizza because it uses pizza ingredients. They are waaaaay better than hot pockets though. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    what the hell, tho?? the one looks like it has a raw egg and grape jelly in it. :sick:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    what the hell, tho?? the one looks like it has a raw egg and grape jelly in it. :sick:
    It’s just lemon and blackberry pie filling. 
    my bad. I didn’t read closely.

do you make them or buy them?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

You make them using one of these, just put a piece of buttered bread down on one side, load the ingredients on it, then put the other piece of bread on, close it, then put it in the fire. 

RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

You make them using one of these, just put a piece of buttered bread down on one side, load the ingredients on it, then put the other piece of bread on, close it, then put it in the fire. 

I can dig it! 

that ham and cheese is making me hungry. I would now add dill chips.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    It looks tasty
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    RiotZact said:
    So has anyone ever heard of mountain pies? I think they might have other names in different regions, but they’re very popular here in western PA, and the best kind is pizza. You cook them on a campfire and they are the shit. This was last night at my uncles camp. 1 pizza mountain pie and one lemon/blackberry. 
    Nice. I usually make some of these when having a fire. We always called them hobo pies. Best one i ever had was one i made in a early morning camp fire. I used the previous nights steak and potato leftovers. It was legendary. My wife and I still talk about it once in awhile, and it was years ago. Lol.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

“legendary”? you still talk about it?

funny :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

Reminds me of a mix between a grilled cheese and a montecristo. 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Wobbie said:
    “legendary”? you still talk about it?

funny :lol:
    I just brought it up with the wife, "aghhh, so good" she said.Then she said," the steak , the potato. Will you make that for me again sometime?"
    I dont think it can ever be repeated.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    RiotZact said:
    Nice. I usually make some of these when having a fire. We always called them hobo pies. Best one i ever had was one i made in a early morning camp fire. I used the previous nights steak and potato leftovers. It was legendary. My wife and I still talk about it once in awhile, and it was years ago. Lol.
    That sounds good! I like the name hobo pies, that’s funny. 

We’ve came up with a list of about 30 different ones that we want to try making, but haven’t actually gotten around to trying most of them. The closest we came is when my sister wanted to have a mountain pie birthday party, my uncle came over and we made 20 each of pizza, cheeseburger, and Mac & cheese. Then we made 50+ pie filling ones, so well over 100 mountain pies in one day. ‘‘Twas legendary. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yep, hobo pies!
    Big staple in scouting.  I haven't had any hobo irons since I was a preteen, time to get some more now that I have a boy of my own.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Always loved blueberry cream cheese and chocolate cherry best.
    rgambs said:
    Always loved blueberry cream cheese and chocolate cherry best.
    Yum! Top secret trick, get a paper plate and put a healthy dose of powdered sugar on it, then when your pie is done, put it on that plate and shake it around on both sides. It’s like icing on the cake. 
    Pro trick back atcha, use Hellman's instead of butter on all your savory pies.
    I really like leftover potroast with onions and carrot shavings and cheddar and americAm cheese.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Literally!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I'm sure calling them hobo pies is offending to someone lol
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    rgambs said:
    I really like leftover potroast with onions and carrot shavings and cheddar and americAm cheese.
    Unfortunately I hate mayo, I will share that with my family though, I’m sure some of them will be eager to try it. Thanks! 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    That device is called a pie iron. It is how we got the kids to enjoy camping.  Killer.
    RiotZact said:
    rgambs said:
    Unfortunately I hate mayo, I will share that with my family though, I’m sure some of them will be eager to try it. Thanks! 
    When you grill it the mayo flavor disappears, it makes the bread taste like sourdough.