The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bbiggs said:
    Happy KBS Day!

Nice score!  I was only able to get 1 4-pack from Binny's .  Although at $25 per 4 pack, that's enough for me.
    Binnys only allowed one for me as well but Jewel allowed 2 and was $5 cheaper. I picked up one for a buddy. The other 2 are mine. You’re right, super expensive...although when you compare it to the cost of a good beer at a bar it’s well worth it. Enjoy! 
    bbiggs said:
    Happy KBS Day!

Nice score!  I was only able to get 1 4-pack from Binny's .  Although at $25 per 4 pack, that's enough for me.
    Grabbed some Noon Whistle Gummy Vortex as well. I’m stocked with some goodies for a while. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Happy KBS Day!

Binnys only allowed one for me as well but Jewel allowed 2 and was $5 cheaper. I picked up one for a buddy. The other 2 are mine. You’re right, super expensive...although when you compare it to the cost of a good beer at a bar it’s well worth it. Enjoy! 

Jewel is always a wild card with having good beers.  I feel like they either have an awesome selection or just the standard domestic crap depending on which one you go to.

I'm heading down to the city to check out the new taproom at Marz Brewing.  Check out some of their stuff if you haven't....top notch beer.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Happy KBS Day!

Jewel is always a wild card with having good beers.  I feel like they either have an awesome selection or just the standard domestic crap depending on which one you go to.

I'm heading down to the city to check out the new taproom at Marz Brewing.  Check out some of their stuff if you haven't....top notch beer.
    Completely agree. I just stumbled upon it at Jewel while grabbing a few groceries. It was a nice surprise!

Thanks for the Marz Brewing tip. I haven’t had any of their beers but will definitely check them out. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Happy KBS Day!

Completely agree. I just stumbled upon it at Jewel while grabbing a few groceries. It was a nice surprise!

Thanks for the Marz Brewing tip. I haven’t had any of their beers but will definitely check them out. 

Marz can be kinda hard to find.  Binny's usually has some of their stuff.  Their hazy IPAs are awesome.
    Well I can gladly report that this years batch lives up to the hype. The coffee flavor is dominant but the traces of bourbon are there and they complement each other well. It is very smooth and easy to drink for 12.3%. Very little bite compared to other barrel aged stouts.  Overall, for my tastes, KBS is the best stout I’ve had, period. 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    @bbiggs I was able to get a Case!!!
    my local spot loves me. 
    ^ Holy mother load! A case and 2 bombers!?!  Your local spot sure does love you! And I like the eagle rare you snuck in as a side piece ;) 
    Does anyone know the proper way to store a barrel aged stout (like KBS)? The box says “keep refrigerated” and “enjoy fresh,” but I believe people keep some of these annual variants for years and not always refrigerated. They won’t go bad over time, will they? With IPAs I always try to buy just enough that I know I’ll drink relatively soon. With the barrel aged stouts, I will probably have them for quite a while and want to make sure they won’t go bad. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited March 2018
    Keep it in a dark cool place. Like 60 degrees or cooler. They say enjoy fresh because the coffee will fade or taste a bit like a pot that’s been kept warm too long. But it ages well. I generally save 4-5 bottles every year and tuck into them occasionally. I currently have 3 left from every year going back 7 years. They age just fine.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    I do wish they put KBS on sale in Jan or Feb. by spring, I’m less interested in drinking stouts. 
    I do wish they put KBS on sale in Jan or Feb. by spring, I’m less interested in drinking stouts. 
    This is spot on. I was thinking the exact same. It’s a fall/winter beer for me. But man, it is good! 

Keep it in a dark cool place. Like 60 degrees or cooler. They say enjoy fresh because the coffee will fade or taste a bit like a pot that’s been kept warm too long. But it ages well. I generally save 4-5 bottles every year and tuck into them occasionally. I currently have 3 left from every year going back 7 years. They age just fine.
    Is it okay to just refrigerate? I can keep it in my basement for a dark, cool place but it’s warmer than 60 degrees. 
    Yeah. It’s not ideal, but it will work. Keep it in a covered box though so the fridge light doesn’t affect the bottle. 
    Yeah. It’s not ideal, but it will work. Keep it in a covered box though so the fridge light doesn’t affect the bottle. 
    Thanks. This is strictly a beer fridge so it’s not opened and closed all the time. Minimal light but I’ll keep it covered as well. 
    bbiggs said:
    Thanks. This is strictly a beer fridge so it’s not opened and closed all the time. Minimal light but I’ll keep it covered as well. 
    "cellared" means to have the beer kept at 55 degrees.  That is the magic number.
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Holy mother load! A case and 2 bombers!?!  Your local spot sure does love you! And I like the eagle rare you snuck in as a side piece ;) 
    I've been wanting to try the Eagle Rare for a while now so that's a bonus.
    Anyone been to the Solemn Oath brewery in Naperville or tried their beers? 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I could never get into the Six Point stuff. Love their cans though. 
    This can is awesome. 
    Six Point Sweet Action is good!!!
    CHEERs to the weekend! This beer is spectacular. 9.1%. Wow! 

I was just about to post and ask if everyone stopped drinking beer all of a sudden. Lol. Cheers bud. I won’t be far behind. 
    bbiggs said:
    I was just about to post and ask if everyone stopped drinking beer all of a sudden. Lol. Cheers bud. I won’t be far behind. 
    Post what you are drinking!  It s Friday baby!!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Walked down ro my neighborhood  dive bar tonight. 
    Had a pint of Deschutes Fresh  Squeezed IPA
    and a pint of Dogfish  Head Flesh and Blood IPA
    ^ fresh squeezed is such a good beer. 
    I’m drinking Pipeworks Lizard King. It’s so good. 
    Barrier and Finback colab called Legal Tender.  Friggin awesome!!!

@SVRDhand13 Joe you try this yet?
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Walked down ro my neighborhood  dive bar tonight. 
    Had a pint of Deschutes Fresh  Squeezed IPA
    and a pint of Dogfish  Head Flesh and Blood IPA
    Awesome!
    have you guys watched the beer show on viceland?  If not you need to check it out.