3-time Cancer Survivor’s Letter to Pearl Jam

Comments

• PP49889PP49889 Posts: 133
    jmug23 said:
    Amazing read and amazing journey and story. Good luck to you Mr Pearson and may you continue to inspire as much as you have been inspired. 
    Thank you!
    lukemil33 said:
    Incredible read. I've always believed music has the power to get you through anything and I think you know better than anyone that it can. Those special moments in songs and concerts keep us fighting through whatever happens. I'm glad you found strength in Pearl Jam and I'm looking forward to rocking with you at the Wrigley concert!
    Thank you!
    It’s been so cathartic to write this post and connect with all of you awesome people.  Live well, Friends!
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Your post moved me to tears , having friends and family succumb to this awful disease called cancer. I think music has an amazing power to move people , so glad that PJ helped you get through some of these times.  Someone on this board should have some weight they can pull, get this man some side stage access to watch the shows he is attending.
    Matts3221 said:
    Your post moved me to tears , having friends and family succumb to this awful disease called cancer. I think music has an amazing power to move people , so glad that PJ helped you get through some of these times.  Someone on this board should have some weight they can pull, get this man some side stage access to watch the shows he is attending.
    I appreciate the kind words.  
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Keep on pushing, my friend. This Saturday is my 34th survivorversary (I haven't thought of a more eloquent term...) and I look forward to celebrating your 34th survivorversary down the road!
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario said:
    Keep on pushing, my friend. This Saturday is my 34th survivorversary (I haven't thought of a more eloquent term...) and I look forward to celebrating your 34th survivorversary down the road!
    Congratulations!   It doesn’t matter the words, that’s an amazing accomplishment!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,707
    Im using your experiences as inspiration .  Love to all
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Im using your experiences as inspiration .  Love to all
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Just got back from a week long vacation with my family.  Take time to be with the ones you love!
  • sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    Don't know why I didn't see this before, but thanks for posting your story.  I've fought cancer three times as well...and number four is here.  I need my entire reproductive system removed.  Hoping this will be the last of it and nothing bad happens, but hey, that's life...I'm just thankful I've made it this far. Please keep us posted on how things are going.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • camcor02camcor02 Posts: 1
    This is my first post ever on this forum as I mainly just enjoy reading all of your conversations and love for this band, but felt the need to comment. 

Peter, thank you for sharing your story.  It is truly inspiring to me to live every day like it was my last.  Eventually I will share my story on here as it is similar to yours in almost every way, just with a different disease. I just did not want to take away from your post as I wanted it to receive full attention.
    camcor02 said:
    This is my first post ever on this forum as I mainly just enjoy reading all of your conversations and love for this band, but felt the need to comment. 

Peter, thank you for sharing your story.  It is truly inspiring to me to live every day like it was my last.  Eventually I will share my story on here as it is similar to yours in almost every way, just with a different disease. I just did not want to take away from your post as I wanted it to receive full attention.
    Please share.  This post was to meant to speak my truth, but if it inspires you to do the same; it would be an honor.   Best of luck with your long road.  
    Don't know why I didn't see this before, but thanks for posting your story.  I've fought cancer three times as well...and number four is here.  I need my entire reproductive system removed.  Hoping this will be the last of it and nothing bad happens, but hey, that's life...I'm just thankful I've made it this far. Please keep us posted on how things are going.
    Congratulations on beating this awful disease 3 times as well.  Best of luck in your most recent fight. Keep me posted on how you are doing.  I’ll walk with you.  
  • ocb84ocb84 Posts: 3
    Part of the story my brother Peter isn't telling you is that he also had some issues going on the night of the Saint Paul concert....we had been drawn for Pit tickets through the Fan Club and he had just gotten his central line put in for Chemotherapy...he also had no platelets so had trouble clotting blood.  We gave up the GA Tix to sit in the stands since there was a risk of him getting bumped into during the show and tearing at his newly installed line.  We both sat through the show in between bouts of pure joy and pure sadness, all the while Peter would run up to the bathroom to change the dressing sitting on his chest having soaked through with blood (matching his bright Red Winnipeg PJ shirt)  The talk by Ed and Dr Tolar with Peter sitting next to me was one of those life changing and altering moments in my life.

Peter truly has been an amazing inspiration to everyone and I am so proud of his strength, determination and the willingness to show how to live while conquering an unfair bolt from the blue.  I love you Peter and can't wait to Keep on Rockin at Wrigley!

ocb84 said:
    Part of the story my brother Peter isn't telling you is that he also had some issues going on the night of the Saint Paul concert....we had been drawn for Pit tickets through the Fan Club and he had just gotten his central line put in for Chemotherapy...he also had no platelets so had trouble clotting blood.  We gave up the GA Tix to sit in the stands since there was a risk of him getting bumped into during the show and tearing at his newly installed line.  We both sat through the show in between bouts of pure joy and pure sadness, all the while Peter would run up to the bathroom to change the dressing sitting on his chest having soaked through with blood (matching his bright Red Winnipeg PJ shirt)  The talk by Ed and Dr Tolar with Peter sitting next to me was one of those life changing and altering moments in my life.

Peter truly has been an amazing inspiration to everyone and I am so proud of his strength, determination and the willingness to show how to live while conquering an unfair bolt from the blue.  I love you Peter and can't wait to Keep on Rockin at Wrigley!

Thanks, brother.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,707
    Thats a great picture and great example of never giving in and not being stopped by illness we can all learn from you. Love to you 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Thats a great picture and great example of never giving in and not being stopped by illness we can all learn from you. Love to you 
    Thanks.  It’s tough to look at sometimes, but it’s a visual reminder of how far I’ve come.  
    Thank you.  
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    My thoughts are with you brother ,gkad your doing good,we will be in Chicago as well for the shows,glad your ,Alive

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    trees said:
    My thoughts are with you brother ,gkad your doing good,we will be in Chicago as well for the shows,glad your ,Alive
    I appreciate the message.  Chicago is going to be amazing!
  • -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Bump for Long Road at Wrigley.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

-Buru- said:
    Bump for Long Road at Wrigley.
    Thank you!   
    edited April 2018
    Thank you everyone!
    Post edited by PP49889 on
    PP49889 said:
    lukemil33 said:
    Incredible read. I've always believed music has the power to get you through anything and I think you know better than anyone that it can. Those special moments in songs and concerts keep us fighting through whatever happens. I'm glad you found strength in Pearl Jam and I'm looking forward to rocking with you at the Wrigley concert!
    Thank you!
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PP49889 said:
    ocb84 said:

Thanks, brother.  
    Wow, that additional context is intense, and makes your attitude and mantras Peter that much more awe-inspiring and phenomenal.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all of this! I lost my mom to cancer when I was 16, and there's some stressful stuff going on right now (not health-related, but job and housing-related) that is taking up so much energy, but I really have learned that what you say is true: Attitude Is Everything!  What I dwell on is what I will attract in trying to deal with what Life is throwing this way, so I'm dwelling on blessings and on all the things that are going right, while also trying to be optimistic about what opportunities (instead of challenges) the new "issues" we're facing can offer.

Navigating hard stuff is... hard. And yet there is so much we can do to improve our chances of positive outcomes.

Thanks for telling your story, testifying to the power of music, and giving us all so much inspiration!
    JH6056 said:
    PP49889 said:
    ocb84 said:

Thanks, brother.  
    Wow, that additional context is intense, and makes your attitude and mantras Peter that much more awe-inspiring and phenomenal.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all of this! I lost my mom to cancer when I was 16, and there's some stressful stuff going on right now (not health-related, but job and housing-related) that is taking up so much energy, but I really have learned that what you say is true: Attitude Is Everything!  What I dwell on is what I will attract in trying to deal with what Life is throwing this way, so I'm dwelling on blessings and on all the things that are going right, while also trying to be optimistic about what opportunities (instead of challenges) the new "issues" we're facing can offer.

Navigating hard stuff is... hard. And yet there is so much we can do to improve our chances of positive outcomes.

Thanks for telling your story, testifying to the power of music, and giving us all so much inspiration!
    Thank you for the kind words.  Everyone is going through adversity in their life, I’m just glad we can be here for each other.  Cheers!
    trees said:

edited April 2018
    Thank you!
    Post edited by PP49889 on
    4 months from today we will be rocking at Wrigley!