*** Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Fanviews Here 3/21/18 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited March 2018 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Maracanã Stadium
Rio de Janeiro, Br
March 21, 2018
Set List

Opening Band: Royal Blood
Walk On Music: Metamorphosis Two-Phillip Glass

(Matt was wearing the same Chris Cornell Shirt he wore at the first Santiago Show)
Band Onstage 09:29
Band Offstage 12:14

01.  Release
02. Low Light
03. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

(Ed briefly greets the audience and says they are loud.)

04. Go
05. All Night
06. Animal

(Ed talks to the audience in Portuguese.  He talks about the big show or audience and drinks from a giant bottle of wine.  He says a few other things and then in English he compliments their singing.  He introduces Mike McCready)

07. Given To Fly
08. In Hiding
09. Jeremy
(Ed goes down to the barricade during the second verse of Jeremy. He covers both sides and a bit of the middle)

(Once again EV chats in Portuguese.  He also introduces Jeff. He says that Jeff’s nick name is The Sheriff so the audience chants “Sheriff” )

10. Corduroy (extended instrumental section and outro)
11. Even Flow
12. Immortality
(Ed introduces Matt in Português.  He dedicates the next song to the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  He says the Peppers have thousands of good songs and “Behind The Sun” is one of them)

13. Wishlist (Vedder sings the word “Olé” over and over during the outro)
14. Mind Your Manners

(“This is for our friends in Buenos Aires”)
15. Lightning Bolt
16. Garden
(Ed brings out a special guest to play the most important instrument for this song, The cowbell. Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Ed says the good thing about when you have a terrible leader of your country is that it means that the citizens must do the leading)

17. Can’t Deny Me (with Chad Smith on cowbell)

(Ed brings out the guitar that a local luthier built and gave him when Ed did his solo shows here.. He introduces it as his Brazilian guitar.  The audience chants Sergio so they appear to know who made it for him.

18. Porch  (during Porch the new globes come down from the light rigging.  They are sturdier and larger than the old globes so the band doesn’t destroy them.  During the instrumental break Ed puts on a Trump mask with a red clown nose and dances around.  He pulls it off to finish the song.  Audience member throws up a sign that Ed waves a bit.  The song ends with Ed slamming the mic stand)

Encore Break
(Ed asks Kille to to light up the audience.  He puts on some binoculars so he can see the back.  He praises the audience for the being the first in a long time where they didn’t have to ask them to be careful and step back.  He says safety is the most important thing)

19. Sleeping By Myself
20. Inside Job

(Stone is introduced in Português as Ed’s great friend)

21. Daughter/Blitzkrieg Bop-(Ramones)/WMA
22. Do The Evolution
23. Black

(Ed again addresses the crowd in their language.  He apologizes in English for how bad he is.  The gist seems to be about the power and vitality of women in art and society.  He has some trouble remembering how the song start and not even a big pull of wine helps.  After imploring Stone to start the song Ed finally kicks it off.)

24. Leaving Here-(Holland, Holland, Dozier)
(This is thank you to the opening band, Royal Blood.  This is royal Blood)
25. Blood
26. Better Man/I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend-(Tommy Ramone/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)   
27. Alive
28. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) Josh (guitar) and Chad drums with Matt from the Red Hot Chili Peppers join the band. Towards the end of the song Chad and Matt swap places so Chad is at the drum kit and Matt is standing behind him hitting the floor tom. Ed pours a bottle of wine on himself)

29. Yellow Ledbetter-Ed goes down to the barricades again.  A woman has a sign asking Ed to marry her.  she even has rings.  Exams the rings, smiles and gives the rings back.)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Garden again!!!! Hoping for this to show up a lot in europe.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    Josh Kinghoffer of RHCHP join the band for solo in Alive and full Rockin.. making it really a powerull version of Rockin...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Sick set list!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    seems like a fun show to be at...

18. Porch  (during Porch the new globes come down from the light rigging.  They are sturdier and larger than the old globes so the band doesn’t destroy them.  During the instrumental break Ed puts on a Trump mask with a red clown nose and dances around.  He pulls it off to finish the song.  Audience member throws up a sign that Ed waves a bit.  The song ends with Ed slamming the mic stand)

i find this interesting for two reasons- 
    i loved watching them break those globes in '16.. it was chaos on stage
    and is this the first time ed adressed/criticized trump on stage? he didnt say a word in '16... not sure if he has ranted at all in his solo shows
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Can't wait to see videos of Alive and RITFW! And Can't Deny Me with Chad :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    awesome setlist..thanks Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    nycrats said:

and is this the first time ed adressed/criticized trump on stage? he didnt say a word in '16... not sure if he has ranted at all in his solo shows
    Trump wasn’t the president in 2016
  • kilo223kilo223 Guatemala Posts: 76
    You should add 03:55 as a highlight in 
    28. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) Josh (guitar) and Chad drums with Matt from the Red Hot Chili Peppers join the band. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkIAr5IJJM
    2015 - Mexico City, Mexico
    2016 - FT Lauderdale, Florida
    2016 - Miami, Florida
    2018 - Seattle N1, Wash
    2018 - Seattle N2, Wash
  • gabriellachamegabriellachame Rio de Janeiro, Brasil Posts: 3
    edited March 2018
    It was insane! I almost fainted of happiness when Eddie talked about "Behind the Sun" because it's one of my favorites RHCP's songs and I don't know anyone else who at least knows this song. Felt like a normal girl ahahah

Actually, it was a perfect night for me because I love RHCP almost as much as I love PJ, and I was having a bad day so... when I was already happy seeing my favorite band, then half of my other favorite band appears on  stage! I was alone between two really quiet guys and I guess they thought I was crazy. (the whole night, actually, not only when RHCP was there. What can I do, right? I really love PJ.) 

It was my third PJ show, and I guess I'll never get over the happiness and emotion of seeing them play.
    Wish I was rich so I could follow the whole tour ahahaha unfortunately I gotta go back to normal life now. 
    Post edited by gabriellachame on
    Rio de Janeiro
    2011 - 2015 - 2018
  • RB274157RB274157 Chicago Posts: 227

(“This is for our friends in Buenos Aires”)
    15. Lightning Bolt
    aww
    Romy Bianchi
    'Your light made us stars'
    Argentina '05 '11 '13 '15 and the infamous '18 no-show
    Chile '13
    Wrigley '18

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    nycrats said:

Trump wasn’t the president in 2016
    thanks guy.. he was the nominee and fans even bemoaned ev not saying anything about him at the time.  they thought for sure he would "lay it on him" and he didnt.  the only politics i remember from '16 was a too little too late mention of "maybe feeling the bern" 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    "Once again EV chats in Portuguese.  He also introduces Ed."
    So he introduced himself?
  • GleidsonGleidson Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Posts: 17
    Does anybody know where can I find a Cornell "Starbucks style" T-shirt? Like the one that Cameron was using during the show...
    2005 - Rio De Janeiro | 2011 - Sao Paulo 1 & 2, Rio De Janeiro, Curitiba, Porto Alegre | 2013 - Sao Paulo | 2014 - EV Rio de Janeiro 1 | 2015 - São Paulo, Rio De Janeiro | 2018 - Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo | 2019 - EV London
  • BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    nycrats said:

I think Ed said all that needs to be said about Trump at Bonnaroo in 2016...keep in mind for a majority of that tour no one thought he was going to win...most of America thought he was running as a joke...now the joke is on us and the band is pissed...can’t wait for both nights at Wrigley 
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
  • fmillanfmillan Chile Posts: 61
    Just got back home. After both shows in Santiago, went to Buenos Aires (bummer) and Rio. Never been at Maracaná Stadium before. The venue itself was an attraction. As EV stated at the beginning of the encore, the crowd was surprisingly “well behaved” which was a good thing for a change. I was lucky enough to catch “Inside Job” again, plus RHCP members joining on stage. Can’t wait for the next SA tour.
  • cavalinicavalini Rio de Janeiro Posts: 18
    Once again EV chats in Portuguese.  He also introduces Ed Jeff The audience chants something but I am unable to determine what it was.
    Ed said that the nickname of Jeff is sheriff. The audience then calls "Sheriff! Sheriff!' in Portuguese.
    12/04/05 - Rio de Janeiro
    11/06/11 - Rio de Janeiro
    11/26/13 - Oakland, CA
    10/25/14 - Mountain View, CA
    11/22/15 - Rio de Janeiro
    03/21/18 - Rio de Janeiro
  • BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 63

BK221359 said:
    nycrats said:

I think Ed said all that needs to be said about Trump at Bonnaroo in 2016...keep in mind for a majority of that tour no one thought he was going to win...most of America thought he was running as a joke...now the joke is on us and the band is pissed...can’t wait for both nights at Wrigley 
    Yeah, Ed talked about Trump in '16. Maybe not as much as people would expect from them or as much as people wanted, but I think, for some reason, the band/Ed was trying to just enjoy the '16 shows and have it be pure without all of the garbage that was impossible to escape during that entire election.

I know he talked Trump at Fenway 1 as I was there, and have heard about mentions at Bonnaroo and maybe NYC in early May? That might have been just pro-HRC and Bernie talk though.

Albeit I bet he has a ton to say now, he and his wife have been pretty active on a number of causes lately, mainly gun violence. Will be interesting to hear the commentary on the new album.
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    Anyone know roughly the size of the crowd? Im guessing 40-45,000...the seats looked relatively empty from the few videos I saw. Huge stadium but, thought it would be a little more full.
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    cavalini said:
    Once again EV chats in Portuguese.  He also introduces Ed Jeff The audience chants something but I am unable to determine what it was.
    Ed said that the nickname of Jeff is sheriff. The audience then calls "Sheriff! Sheriff!' in Portuguese.
    Thank you @cavalini :)

vito said:
    Anyone know roughly the size of the crowd? Im guessing 40-45,000...the seats looked relatively empty from the few videos I saw. Huge stadium but, thought it would be a little more full.
    The organization said 50k. Pit and Premium pit sold out. I thought it would be more empty.
    i think it was a great audience. The concert was Wednesday. It is very hard to sell tickets in Rio for many reasons.
    Foo Fighters had 30k three weeks before.

11/26/13 - Oakland, CA
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Isn’t that stadium one if not thee biggest soccer stadiums in the world !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,704
    Yes it was for sure. Not sure now but it seats 100.000 i think 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    cavalini said:
    vito said:
    The organization said 50k. Pit and Premium pit sold out. I thought it would be more empty.
    i think it was a great audience. The concert was Wednesday. It is very hard to sell tickets in Rio for many reasons.

How did this rio show rank up against all the other rio shows you attended?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    BRWilly said:

BK221359 said:
    nycrats said:

Yeah, Ed talked about Trump in '16. Maybe not as much as people would expect from them or as much as people wanted, but I think, for some reason, the band/Ed was trying to just enjoy the '16 shows and have it be pure without all of the garbage that was impossible to escape during that entire election.

I know he talked Trump at Fenway 1 as I was there, and have heard about mentions at Bonnaroo and maybe NYC in early May? That might have been just pro-HRC and Bernie talk though.

Albeit I bet he has a ton to say now, he and his wife have been pretty active on a number of causes lately, mainly gun violence. Will be interesting to hear the commentary on the new album.
    He had a great speech about it at the Global Citizen fest he did solo
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    70K is what I thought, but check the stats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maracanã_Stadium
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    My fav JA song!
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

edited March 2018
    70K is what I thought, but check the stats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maracanã_Stadium
    The record is 200k Brasil x Uruguay 1950.
    Now 78k seats.
    Post edited by cavalini on
    11/26/13 - Oakland, CA
    mcgruff10 said:
    cavalini said:
    vito said:

How did this rio show rank up against all the other rio shows you attended?
    All four shows in Rio was perfect for me.
    Just in one show I can put in 2nd place - Oakland 2013.
    The crowd seemed bored. I was think: How can these guys be sitting at a rock concert?
    11/26/13 - Oakland, CA
  • yeehareyeehare Posts: 14
    rafie said:
    Garden again!!!! Hoping for this to show up a lot in europe.
    This is the one I wanted! I was getting beers at the time so had to sprint back to me seat and only missed the intro. Hoping to hear it a couple more times in Europe. Now just need Once to complete Ten.
    London 11 August 2009, London 18 August 2009, Manchester 20 June 2012, EV London 1 August 2012, Chicago Wrigley 19 July 2013, Amsterdam 16 June 2014, Milton Keynes 11 July 2014, NYC 1 May 2016, EV London 6 June 2017, EV London 7 June 2017, Rio de Janeiro 21 March 2018, Amsterdam 12 June 2018, Amsterdam 13 June 2018, London 18 June 2018, Rome 26 June 2018, Berlin 5 July 2018, London 17 July 2018, London 8 July 2022, London 9 July 2022, Vienna 20 July 2022, Amsterdam 24 July 2022, Amsterdam 25 July 2022, Fort Worth 13 September 2023, Fort Worth 15 September 2023.