Options

2018 Tour > Facing a Politics-heavy tour (ala 1996) all over again?

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    I hope it's more like 2004 VFC.  Don't even try to hide it.  I'm pissed as hell too!
    Yes! Bust out the dead kennedy's song again
    Yeeeeesss! Ed wailed on that one. Awesome cover.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    mattcoz said:

2018 Tour > Facing a Politics-heavy tour (ala 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) all over again?

Fixed that for you.
     ;) 
    Dont forget ‘91, ‘92, ‘93, ‘94, ‘95
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2018
    Honestlie i care less about the music than the politics
    Post edited by Shyner on
  • Options
    ryph raph said:
    Trump and those that still support him are shitty human beings.

I hope Ed rips them a new asshole every date of the tour.
    Yep. Bring it on. If I can stomach listening to that orange ass every day, some of you can listen to the opposition for a couple of hours.

Love it!!!

Haha, “President F’n Agent Orange” - they need to go off on that bastard like ATCQ!!!  Every f'n night!

https://youtu.be/iupxu6v4weA

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    Works more for me when artists talk about issues or encourage dialogue rather than just bitching about politicians. If you can't relate because you hate Bush or Trump with a white hot passion, I'm sure you had friends or family that just moaned about Obama all the time. Remember how grating that was (or still is)?

I was at Nassau in 03. Weirdest vibe at a show ever and I've been to hundreds.
  • Options
    ryph raph said:

Wow. 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited March 2018
    ryph raph said:

I was just called a shitty human being by someone from the tolerant & compassionate left.  Well, there aren't many conservatives around here but there are a few.
    Anyone right-of-center must be outcasted.
    Nice guy you are.  Stay classy!
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

If you're going to a Pearl Jam show you have to know it's highly likely that politics will come into play at some point, i mean this is how it's been since the start. I don't always agree with everything Ed says but in no way am I going to say let's not hear anything political, this is what they do and what they're about. 

NYPJ
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    edited March 2018
    I hope it's political AF. I hope Ed speaks his mind and pisses people off. I would love it if "Bleed for Me" came back with the lyrics amended to "Cowboy Donnie." Seriously. Bring it all on.
    Post edited by NWOntario on
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    RYME said:
    ryph raph said:

I was just called a shitty human being by someone from the tolerant & compassionate left.  Well, there aren't many conservatives around here but there are a few.

Nothing wrong with being conservative, but Trump is an awful human being and those that support his constant lying is sick.

“President Agent Orange” – ATCQ has it absolutely right-on!!! 

PJ should light up that manipulative lying bastard every single night on tour!  We the People, We the People, We the People, need to stand up to this shit! 

• Options
    Ha. Does this fan exist?

Pearl Jam is the best band ever!

Trump is the best president ever!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    RYME said:
    ryph raph said:

Nothing wrong with being conservative, but Trump is an awful human being and those that support his constant lying is sick.

PJ should light up that manipulative lying bastard every single night on tour!  We the People, We the People, We the People, need to stand up to this shit! 

Here's the thing comatose, 
    One year in, I like Trump better now, than I did the day I voted for him.  That's going to make a lot of you sick to hear that.  That's because ideologically you liberals are the Polar Opposites to conservatism.  Trump so far has governed very conservatively except for the tariffs.
    I don't agree with Ed's/PJ's politics, but I love their music.  It's fun to be around and mingle with PJ fans at the shows.
    I can put up with Ed's rants whenever he wants, and enjoy the music in between. 
    I am not intolerant of people who have a different belief system than I do.
    I think Obama was a huge mistake but oh well.
    But many people posting here are intolerant of any views right-of-center.
    If Donald Trump was to vanish tomorrow, do think the distain for righties would subside?  If it were Ted Cruz in office would you be saying the same thing about his votes?  If Jeb Bush somehow had won the election how do you I think that would have gone over here?
    You'd be calling Jeb Bush supporters shity people.
    And Eddie would come out on stage with a Jeb Bush mask on and probably trampled on it.
    That's just the way it is but I can still enjoy their music.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Thoughts and prayers for those offended and/or surprised by politics at a Pearl Jam show in 2018.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    PJ should hold Trump accountable with the same level of disspointment and anger that they held Obama accountable.  Obama did not improve our country with gun control, eliminate any wars, improve the racial tensions... In many ways no president can because that's not how the US government works. The fact that they pout when they don't get their way is juvenile and Trump laughs as everyone overreacts to his methods. Vote for Change was fine because it was billed as a political rally. Yes some personal opinions from any artist will enter a performance, but I am hopeful they let their music do the talking. Write good songs that capture what they want to say. They always encourage people to vote, and half the people don't seem to agree with them. For me they don't tour as often as before so I hope they come within a 5 hour drive of where I live because I'd love to see them perform the music that has resonated with me for so long. 
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    tbergs said:
    rvapete said:
    I like angry Eddie far more than family Eddie. Sirens and LB are pukatoriums.  Get Away and My Fathers Son are the only tracks I seek out playing on that album 
    Pukatoriums :lol: That is definitely my new favorite word!
    I reckon we have not only the word of the day, but alzó the álbum title...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    jstu39 said:
    PJ should hold Trump accountable with the same level of disspointment and anger that they held Obama accountable.  Obama did not improve our country with gun control, eliminate any wars, improve the racial tensions... In many ways no president can because that's not how the US government works. The fact that they pout when they don't get their way is juvenile and Trump laughs as everyone overreacts to his methods. Vote for Change was fine because it was billed as a political rally. Yes some personal opinions from any artist will enter a performance, but I am hopeful they let their music do the talking. Write good songs that capture what they want to say. They always encourage people to vote, and half the people don't seem to agree with them. For me they don't tour as often as before so I hope they come within a 5 hour drive of where I live because I'd love to see them perform the music that has resonated with me for so long. 
    Obama would have almost certainly signed any gun control bill Congress passed.

Obama had no power to make racists in this country less racist.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

My point was the president can't control those things, but people will lash out at Trump but not Obama. Maybe I was too subtle. Should I just spell it out with 3rd grade lyrics? 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    ryph raph said:

Here's the thing comatose, 
    One year in, I like Trump better now, than I did the day I voted for him.  That's going to make a lot of you sick to hear that.  That's because ideologically you liberals are the Polar Opposites to conservatism.  Trump so far has governed very conservatively except for the tariffs.
    I don't agree with Ed's/PJ's politics, but I love their music.  It's fun to be around and mingle with PJ fans at the shows.
    I can put up with Ed's rants whenever he wants, and enjoy the music in between. 
    I am not intolerant of people who have a different belief system than I do.
    I think Obama was a huge mistake but oh well.
    But many people posting here are intolerant of any views right-of-center.
    If Donald Trump was to vanish tomorrow, do think the distain for righties would subside?  If it were Ted Cruz in office would you be saying the same thing about his votes?  If Jeb Bush somehow had won the election how do you I think that would have gone over here?
    You'd be calling Jeb Bush supporters shity people.
    And Eddie would come out on stage with a Jeb Bush mask on and probably trampled on it.
    That's just the way it is but I can still enjoy their music.

Just because Donny is a complete piece of shit doesn't mean all of us are intolerant of views right-of-center.  I share plenty of similar views with "righties".    There is plenty of common ground for many us.  

But fucking Ted Cruz and Donny?  No thanks.  Terrible people.
  • Options
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

My point was the president can't control those things, but people will lash out at Trump but not Obama. Maybe I was too subtle. Should I just spell it out with 3rd grade lyrics? 
    And my point was that two of the three examples you gave were pretty weak. Is that clear enough?

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

And my point was that two of the three examples you gave were pretty weak. Is that clear enough?
    Obama had control on Congress and democrats chose not to address gun control. So make sure you are making you point to those in control.  If you want to get into a debate on what each side gets done, I'm fine with that. The overall point was the frustration should be consistent with a broken system with both parties, and they lose credibility by being activists but not holding everyone accountable IMO. I am not registered to either party and in fact have voted for both in elections. I lean a little right center but I loved Springsteen's Magic album which very clearly had a message but expressed it through stories in songs. They are artists and my hope is they let their music do the talking. 
  • Options
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

Obama had control on Congress and democrats chose not to address gun control. So make sure you are making you point to those in control.  If you want to get into a debate on what each side gets done, I'm fine with that. The overall point was the frustration should be consistent with a broken system with both parties, and they lose credibility by being activists but not holding everyone accountable IMO. I am not registered to either party and in fact have voted for both in elections. I lean a little right center but I loved Springsteen's Magic album which very clearly had a message but expressed it through stories in songs. They are artists and my hope is they let their music do the talking. 
    They are not obligated to align their frustrations with yours. Neither is anyone else.

Obama had control of congress for one cycle. The GOP had control for the remaining six years. Regardless, my point remains. Obama would have almost certainly signed any gun control bill passed by congress at any point during his administration.

Again, you gave two examples that I thought were poor and I expressed that to you. If you want to disagree, that's fine.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

They are not obligated to align their frustrations with yours. Neither is anyone else.

Obama had control of congress for one cycle. The GOP had control for the remaining six years. Regardless, my point remains. Obama would have almost certainly signed any gun control bill passed by congress at any point during his administration.

Again, you gave two examples that I thought were poor and I expressed that to you. If you want to disagree, that's fine.
    The president does not "control"  the Congress. The Democrats had majorities in the House, & Senate, and of course the President Obama(D)
    They did nothing when they had the chance.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

The president does not "control"  the Congress. The Democrats had majorities in the House, & Senate, and of course the President Obama(D)
    They did nothing when they had the chance.
    Yes, and then the GOP had control of congress for six years and they did nothing. At any point in eight years Obama would have signed a gun control bill congress passed.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

I gave a couple examples of topics of national debate followed by ... indicating that was just the beginning of potential topics. In the very next sentence I explained no president can greatly impact that alone. The fact that you chose to only highlight those points and not the tone of the statement is telling. And yes I do say 'IMO' and 'my hope' as I am expressing what I think. I think many people are frustrated with the US political system, and about half come at it from different points of view. Good, objective debate at all times can be healthy and we should hold all our leaders accountable.  
  • Options
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

I gave a couple examples of topics of national debate followed by ... indicating that was just the beginning of potential topics. In the very next sentence I explained no president can greatly impact that alone. The fact that you chose to only highlight those points and not the tone of the statement is telling. And yes I do say 'IMO' and 'my hope' as I am expressing what I think. I think many people are frustrated with the US political system, and about half come at it from different points of view. Good, objective debate at all times can be healthy and we should hold all our leaders accountable.  
    Dude, you blamed Obama for not improving race relations in this country. You want to talk about things that are telling?

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

Dude, you blamed Obama for not improving race relations in this country. You want to talk about things that are telling?
    I clearly stated no individual president can change a country that way or with many of the challenges the US faces. And racial tensions did boil during the Obama years. And to blame him is equivalent to blaming other presidents for social issues that happen when they are in office. You are proving my point. It's a bigger problem than blaming Trump.  Or Obama. Or Bush. Or Clinton. 
  • Options
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

I clearly stated no individual president can change a country that way or with many of the challenges the US faces. And racial tensions did boil during the Obama years. And to blame him is equivalent to blaming other presidents for social issues that happen when they are in office. You are proving my point. It's a bigger problem than blaming Trump.  Or Obama. Or Bush. Or Clinton. 
    Trump has deliberately inflamed racial tensions. Trump owns that. Obama does not.

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    I question why there would be anger? 
    Trump is making America GREAT again.  There is no denying it. 
    If this band fucks around says anything different, I'd be quite annoyed. 
    And I am a registered democrat. 
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    ryph raph said:

no, liberals are shitty human beings.  fact. 
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I don't agree with Ed on all his political views. But they don't bother me. He can say what he wants. It impresses me that he cares as much as he does.
This discussion has been closed.