Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

1161718192022»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is Vancouver pedestrian and cyclist friendly as I hear?
    Haha! Um, yeah, I would say so. People call our Mayor "Mayor Moonbean", mainly because the guy is literally OBSESSED with bike lanes (and people think that is a really hippy mindset, apparently). New bike lines are probably one of the most controversial issues in the city, and that is because a lot of people are really pissed off by how many of them keep getting made, at the expense of cars and parking. There was even an incident in the winter of 2016 when we had an unusually big snowfall (for us), and the city decided to fucking clear the bike paths instead of the pedestrian paths, lol. Oh, the outrage! :lol: We recently also got one of those bike share programs going, where you just stick your credit card in and take a bike from the rack, and then return it to another rack whenever you're done.
    The only problem with all this is that Metro Vancouver is pretty damn hilly, and it rains a fair bit, so while City Hall is all about bike lanes, not that many people actually commute by bike. It's pretty ridiculous. But to be fair, I think they're just really planning for the future with it. With climate change, it's going to be warmer and drier in Vancouver as the years pass, plus the culture will change as the city becomes more and more green. While everyone is pissed off now, I think that in 20+ years or whatever people will be really happy that Vancouver planned ahead for alternative transportation like this.
    I happen to think pedestrian and cyclist should come first ... after all they were here before the automobile.  And I like driving.  I’ve also been hit as pedestrian...so I’m very big on pedestrian rights and believe they should be strengthened...the person who hit me and was in the wrong was only ticketed for unsafe turn, instead of the far more serious careless driving laws...ironically the next day some fool went off in the ditch, no injuries, no one else involved, just him...charged careless driving...it doesn’t make sense how little respect pedestrians and cyclist get sometimes.
    I live car free and always have. I have little sympathy for the drivers right in the city (I do have empathy for those who have to commute from futher out in metro vancouver though - once you get out of skytrain range the transit options are fairly poor). I think that the majority of city drivers should be forced out of their cars by whatever means are available. The best method is probably to limit parking so much that they have no option but to walk, cycle, and transit for regular commuter trips. Leave the parking for those who really HAVE to drive for whatever reason. But damn, a huge number of Vancouverites are extremely addicted to their cars. Even when the trip is super easy and convenient and even faster on the skytrain, just the idea of getting on public transit is apparently almost too much for many of them to take, lol. It's completely psychological in many cases. Bunch of fucking princesses, lol. So yeah, given that attitude among many, their feelings about pedestrians and cyclists (remember those are two very different things) are not positive or respectful. That said, a lot of the cyclists in Vancouver are fucking entitled pricks who have absolutely no respect for the rules of the road.
    this right here is a BIG reason that cycling as a culture doesn't get the traction it needs from an infrastructure standpoint. the public (who mostly drive) fucking hate cyclists. I'll admit, when I'm not cycling myself, I find most of them a complete nuisance. if you want to be on the road, act as if you are on the road. Don't sidle up next to me at a stop light. stay the fuck where  you are just like the rest of the street traffic. Don't change to the sidewalk so you can use it like a pedestrian when you hit a red. And obey the fucking stop/traffic signs. the majority, unfortunately, at least in Winnipeg, are guilty of most of this. 

back to Rob Ford and his crack. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is Vancouver pedestrian and cyclist friendly as I hear?
    Haha! Um, yeah, I would say so. People call our Mayor "Mayor Moonbean", mainly because the guy is literally OBSESSED with bike lanes (and people think that is a really hippy mindset, apparently). New bike lines are probably one of the most controversial issues in the city, and that is because a lot of people are really pissed off by how many of them keep getting made, at the expense of cars and parking. There was even an incident in the winter of 2016 when we had an unusually big snowfall (for us), and the city decided to fucking clear the bike paths instead of the pedestrian paths, lol. Oh, the outrage! :lol: We recently also got one of those bike share programs going, where you just stick your credit card in and take a bike from the rack, and then return it to another rack whenever you're done.
    The only problem with all this is that Metro Vancouver is pretty damn hilly, and it rains a fair bit, so while City Hall is all about bike lanes, not that many people actually commute by bike. It's pretty ridiculous. But to be fair, I think they're just really planning for the future with it. With climate change, it's going to be warmer and drier in Vancouver as the years pass, plus the culture will change as the city becomes more and more green. While everyone is pissed off now, I think that in 20+ years or whatever people will be really happy that Vancouver planned ahead for alternative transportation like this.
    I happen to think pedestrian and cyclist should come first ... after all they were here before the automobile.  And I like driving.  I’ve also been hit as pedestrian...so I’m very big on pedestrian rights and believe they should be strengthened...the person who hit me and was in the wrong was only ticketed for unsafe turn, instead of the far more serious careless driving laws...ironically the next day some fool went off in the ditch, no injuries, no one else involved, just him...charged careless driving...it doesn’t make sense how little respect pedestrians and cyclist get sometimes.
    I live car free and always have. I have little sympathy for the drivers right in the city (I do have empathy for those who have to commute from futher out in metro vancouver though - once you get out of skytrain range the transit options are fairly poor). I think that the majority of city drivers should be forced out of their cars by whatever means are available. The best method is probably to limit parking so much that they have no option but to walk, cycle, and transit for regular commuter trips. Leave the parking for those who really HAVE to drive for whatever reason. But damn, a huge number of Vancouverites are extremely addicted to their cars. Even when the trip is super easy and convenient and even faster on the skytrain, just the idea of getting on public transit is apparently almost too much for many of them to take, lol. It's completely psychological in many cases. Bunch of fucking princesses, lol. So yeah, given that attitude among many, their feelings about pedestrians and cyclists (remember those are two very different things) are not positive or respectful. That said, a lot of the cyclists in Vancouver are fucking entitled pricks who have absolutely no respect for the rules of the road.
    Where I live car free is impossible.  But I do not drive everywhere, I have a grocery store nearby that I often just walk to.  Cyclist are the same here...true about cyclist and pestedtrians...last summer I nearly got run down by a dude on bilke all dressed in his Tour de France spandex...lol.  Someday I’ll get to Vancouver, the farthest in BC I’ve been is Revelstoke National Park.  I love BC, just beautiful.

Give Peas A Chance…

Ontario Premier Wynne calls Tory leader Doug Ford's comments on pot 'reckless'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-premier-wynne-calls-tory-leader-doug-ford-s-comments-on-pot-reckless-1.3842698#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=4AWdZ0b

exactly why Doug ford will be the next premier...let private enterprise and entrepreneurs sell the pot ... not overpaid government workers...she’s the most useless politician on planet earth....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Ontario Premier Wynne calls Tory leader Doug Ford's comments on pot 'reckless'

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-premier-wynne-calls-tory-leader-doug-ford-s-comments-on-pot-reckless-1.3842698#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=4AWdZ0b

exactly why Doug ford will be the next premier...let private enterprise and entrepreneurs sell the pot ... not overpaid government workers...she’s the most useless politician on planet earth....
    Sell it “Somewhere else”, such as his garage. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2018
    I actually 100% agree with Ford on that one. Ontario is going about legalization so badly. I don't understand why they decided not to allow private sellers to enter the market. It's not like the government couldn't do it too. It's so fucking stupid. I find all the so-called reasons they're offering for it are plain old dumb.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually 100% agree with Ford on that one. Ontario is going about legalization so badly. I don't understand why they decided not to allow private sellers to enter the market. It's not like the government couldn't do it too. It's so fucking stupid. I find all the so-called reasons they're offering for it are plain old dumb.
    I do agree that Ontario is screwing this up. I don’t know what Ford is proposing so I can’t yet say I agree with him, but it should be handled differently. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    I do agree that Ontario is screwing this up. I don’t know what Ford is proposing so I can’t yet say I agree with him, but it should be handled differently. 
    Oh, all I know about what Ford said is that he thinks it's stupid that they're not allowing the industry to go private sector in Ontario. That is what I agree with. It's very stupid. I don't know what else he's said either. I really can't handle paying that much attention. Too annoying.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:
    Totally agree with you. This pot issue will make a small government conservative out of you yet!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why do we need overpaid government employees selling pot when the government can issue licences to entrepreneurs...that’s what he means.  Wynns a fucking idiot, anyone who votes votes for wynns an idiot.
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    You are 100% correct, e parts have said Ontario will be losing money under their pot selling schemes.  Who looses money selling drugs?
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, all I know about what Ford said is that he thinks it's stupid that they're not allowing the industry to go private sector in Ontario. That is what I agree with. It's very stupid. I don't know what else he's said either. I really can't handle paying that much attention. Too annoying.
    Surprisingly Ford hasn’t said anything bat shit crazy ... if it stays that way, he will be ontario’s next premier.  He’s actually got some solid ideas, like eliminating income tax on people making less than $30000, and getting Ontario’s debt under control, boosting mental health spending...he’s far better than Brown who was on track to be the premier.
    Give Peas A Chance…