2023 Oscars

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    The eyeglass fashion on the Red Carpet was horrible.  Old lady frames can look good if they aren't overdone, but the optical community is cringing at the over-the-top ridiculous frames the stars were marring their faces with.
    Thanks, Joan.

It's too bad, but not at all surprising, that you're still speaking from the grave.
    Ha!  I assumed that she was somewhere being fed fresh human organs to maintain "life" and would resurface at some point.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Kinda surprised Green Book won. Thought Roma might win actually (thought it was favored). I was pulling for BlackKklansman though. Olivia Coleman winning was also a little surprising. Congrats to SPike Lee on winning and the Gaga/Bradley song was great.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    The only nomination I even knew about, and the only film of the lot that I saw, was Free Solo, which won the best documentary Oscar. I'd recommend it to anyone - it's a great doc. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Some of the people that were interviewing on the red carpet last night looked cray cray.  Where did they find these people?

Billy Porter was one that stuck out and there was a white guy that looked like a serial killer.

Also the Oscars were very inclusive this year to minorities.  I know that has been a complaint in the past.

Very glad to see Spike finally win an oscar.
    Some of the people that were interviewing on the red carpet last night looked cray cray.  Where did they find these people?

Billy Porter was one that stuck out and there was a white guy that looked like a serial killer.

Also the Oscars were very inclusive this year to minorities.  I know that has been a complaint in the past.

I never watch the Oscars or any award ceremony.  All award shows is for is a bunch of overpaid celebrities to have their bloated egos stoked even more.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Some of the people that were interviewing on the red carpet last night looked cray cray.  Where did they find these people?

I never watch the Oscars or any award ceremony.  All award shows is for is a bunch of overpaid celebrities to have their bloated egos stoked even more.  
    I love when the speeches go too long and they turn up the music, lol!!!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Shallow was a great performance.  Those two need to get a room but still very good.
  • Shallow was a great performance.  Those two need to get a room but still very good.
    Read about it this morning but missed it because of the Walking Dead.
    Some of the people that were interviewing on the red carpet last night looked cray cray.  Where did they find these people?

I love when the speeches go too long and they turn up the music, lol!!!
    Is that what they do to try and keep the show moving along.  I gather they went well past 11.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I think A Star is Born is the first best picture nominated film I've actually seen in probably the last 10 years. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I think A Star is Born is the first best picture nominated film I've actually seen in probably the last 10 years. 
    Do you mean that is the first movie you had seen when the ceremony was broadcast, each year?
    There are a lot of very good movies nominated over the last 10 years...if you have really only seen A Star Is Born that would leave you some good viewing.  (A large variety of movies as well so that most people's preferences would find at least a handful of good movies from such a list.)

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I can't believe Point Break lost for Best Picture again.  :frowning:

Give Peas A Chance…

• He looked fabulous but when he talked he talked through you...  Watch him do an interview and you'll see what I mean.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Badass.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I rarely, if ever, watch award shows. decided to this year. zellwegger was absolute hot garbage during her speech. joaquin talking about dairy farming issues? jesus. 

will never understand why they continue to use comedic actors as entertainment for the award shows, but refuse to award a category for best comedy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Good comedy movies are much tougher to pull off then a drama (especially if historical)
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited February 2020
    I'm a little late to the party as I've been ripping up powder all week, but did you catch the play when the announcer said "Mandell, pronounced exactly as it's spelled?" -methinks a Cornell/Ament grammy reference.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited February 2020
    I rarely, if ever, watch award shows. decided to this year. zellwegger was absolute hot garbage during her speech. joaquin talking about dairy farming issues? jesus. 

will never understand why they continue to use comedic actors as entertainment for the award shows, but refuse to award a category for best comedy. 
    Joaquin's speech was formidable! Hell, I'm even gonna transcribe it.

"Hi. Stop. Hi. I'm full of so much gratitude right now and I do not feel elevated above any of my fellow nominees or anyone in this room because we share the same love, the love of film and this expression has given me the most extraordinary life and I don't know what I'd be without it. But I think the greatest gift that it has given me and many in this room, is the opportunity to use our voice for the voiceless. I've been thinking a lot about some of the distressing issues that we are facing collectively and I think that at times we feel, or are made to feel, that we champion different causes, but for me, I see commonality. 

I think whether we are talking about gender and equality, or racism, or queer rights, or Indigenous rights, or animal rights, we're talking about the fight against injustice. We are talking about the fight against the belief that one nation, one people, one race, one gender, or one species has the right to dominate, exploit, and use another with impunity.

I think that we have become very disconnected from the natural world and many of us, what we're guilty of is an egocentric world view. We go int the natural world and we plunder it for its' resources. We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow and when she gives birth, we steal her baby even though her cries of anguish are unmistakable. And then we take her milk, that is intended for her calf and we put it in our coffee and our cereal. And I think we fear the idea of personal change because we think that we have to sacrifice something, to give something up. But human beings at our best are so inventive and creative and ingenious and I think that when we use love and compassion as our guiding principles we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all animals that are sentient beings and the environment.

Now I have been a scoundrel in my life. I have been selfish. I have been cruel at times, and hard to work with and I'm grateful that so many of you in this room have given me a second chance. And I think that's when we are at our best when we support each other, not when we cancel each other out for past mistakes. When we help each other to grow, when we educate each other, when we guide each other towards redemption, that is the best of humanity.

I just I want to umm. When he... When he was 17, my brother wrote this lyric. He said, "Run into the rescue with love and peace will follow".

Thank-you."

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Will Smith clocked Chris Rock
    I miss igotid88
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    igotid88 said:
    Will Smith clocked Chris Rock
    What a weird moment. Dude was laughing at first. She was visibly bothered by it. 
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Way over the line by Will Smith. Chris seemed to handle it very well. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    They are both weirdos.  (The Smiths)
    Chris Rock made a joke about my wife.  Boohoo.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2022
    They are both weirdos.  (The Smiths)

You come off as a well adjusted person, with comments like that.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Is it worth getting a apple+ subscription for that CODA movie?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"