2023 Oscars

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

the one time I turn off the oscars early... :lol:

I know. I turned it off after they announced La La Land. Missed the best part.

The faux feud jokes though were great with Kimmel and Damon.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Steve Harvey tweeted Monday morning "went to bed early last night....what did I miss? #oscars"

:rofl:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Still not as embarrassing as Ishtar.

Congrats to Emma Stone. She's my 2nd biggest actress crush.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I really didn't like Moonlight at all. How the hell did that movie win best picture.
  • I really didn't like Moonlight at all. How the hell did that movie win best picture.

I liked it but definitely didn't see it winning the Oscar.
    I'm through with screaming
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

I really didn't like Moonlight at all. How the hell did that movie win best picture.

Politics plain and simple. Don't get me wrong. Good movie and I'm anti homophobic and anti racist but I'm just saying. It's a big middle finger to Orange Bin Laden.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Eddie Vedder will perform
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    igotid88 said:

sell out.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    Kobe Bryant tied Leo Decaprio for Oscar wins tonight.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    She just announced Eddie Vedder coming up
    I miss igotid88
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    igotid88 said:
    Yep 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Kobe Bryant tied Leo Decaprio for Oscar wins tonight.

fuck that raper cocksucker.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    of course, a bizarre movie wins best picture.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Did not think The Shape of Water was Best Picture quality at all.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Anyone else find it odd that one of the 'Best Movie' movies is about a 17 year old who has a sexual awakening with a 20-something?  (Especially in this year where the predatory reality of Hollywood was highlighted, and shamed?)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    Anyone else find it odd that one of the 'Best Movie' movies is about a 17 year old who has a sexual awakening with a 20-something?  (Especially in this year where the predatory reality of Hollywood was highlighted, and shamed?)

No. It wasn’t a predatory relationship in the film at all. The 17-year-old in the film is who pushed for the relationship and ultimately had his heart broken as he had to deal with a loss that both participants knew was inevitable. Also, the parents knew about and encouraged the relationship. 

In a hypothetical court of law, any case would be dismissed. It was consensual and real, and there were no questionable power dynamics at play. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

It’s Hollywood and ok, up until the #minortoo movement comes out...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dankind said:

No. It wasn’t a predatory relationship in the film at all. The 17-year-old in the film is who pushed for the relationship and ultimately had his heart broken as he had to deal with a loss that both participants knew was inevitable. Also, the parents knew about and encouraged the relationship. 

In a hypothetical court of law, any case would be dismissed. It was consensual and real, and there were no questionable power dynamics at play. 
    With few exceptions, most age of consent laws are at 16 anyway.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    dankind said:

Is this call me by your name? I saw th first half and couldn’t make it any further 

i thought shape of water was fine and I liked it more than I expected, Michael Shannon was awesome  but I liked a few of the others more. I really liked phantom thread and I thought lady bird was better too. Three billboards could have been better if not for the ending 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PP193448 said:

It’s Hollywood and ok, up until the #minortoo movement comes out...
    No, I disagree. Haven’t seen the movie but from what I’ve read it’s about two of-age individuals without any power differential in a consensual relationship. Most places, 17 is even of age to marry (not that I think that’s a good idea, but it’s the truth).
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I didn't consider 17 of age.  If it is, my comment is taken back.
    If it is illegal, it does not matter if it is something the younger party pursues. 
    I have yet to see it and it was just the description that caused my wife and I both to question how they could not write a better description of it. 
    I will check it out when it comes out.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I didn't consider 17 of age.  If it is, my comment is taken back.
    If it is illegal, it does not matter if it is something the younger party pursues. 
    I have yet to see it and it was just the description that caused my wife and I both to question how they could not write a better description of it. 
    I will check it out when it comes out.
    The “of age” thing is interesting, of course. I’ve read that, in Italy in the time in which the movie (and originally the book) was set, the age of consent was 14. I think we would all feel pretty uncomfortable with the scenario of a 14 year old with a 20 something I’m not wild about 17 and early 20s, but don’t see it as necessarily an abuse or violation. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Yeah, I agree that this (14 and 20+ scenario) is fucking gross as well.
    I know that wasnt the movie's premise.

2 kids both in high school, get it.  A kid at the end of high school and another at the start of college...get it.  Grad Student and High Schooler?  In my opinion I would not be down for this as a parent.
    If it is legal, what I think has little impact and I don't want to force my opinions on others.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Also, the movie sucks so there’s that 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The eyeglass fashion on the Red Carpet was horrible.  Old lady frames can look good if they aren't overdone, but the optical community is cringing at the over-the-top ridiculous frames the stars were marring their faces with.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    The eyeglass fashion on the Red Carpet was horrible.  Old lady frames can look good if they aren't overdone, but the optical community is cringing at the over-the-top ridiculous frames the stars were marring their faces with.
    Thanks, Joan.

It's too bad, but not at all surprising, that you're still speaking from the grave.
    I SAW PEARL JAM