Things to do in Boston?

Comments

• YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    edited February 2018
    for those of you with cars from out of town and want to tool around on the Saturday or Monday that weekend, to piggy-back on Trillium talk, if you like craft beer, you will want to put this (Trillium) on your list.  Simply put---Fantastic beer.  Just grabbed some tonight, in fact from there.  There's another place called "Shovel Town" about 15 minutes from Trillium in nearby Easton, MA, home of Stonehill College that's both decent for craft beer and roomy if you want to hang out there.

Also, if you do Trillium in Canton, MA, some fun facts is the brewery is about 15 minutes from Gillette Stadium, home of the New England freakin Patriots (of course).  They (Pats) do have an interactive Hall-of-Fame that is worth the $10 entrance fee.  Also, there's a bunch of restaurants surrounding Gillette, including CBS Scene and Toby Keith's that will be packed but a lot of fun if you get there early enough.

And if you are looking for more to do on the South Shore, for you Pearl Jam historians, the world famous Tweeter Center/Great Woods/Xfinity Center is 15 minutes from Gillette Stadium in Mansfield, MA.  This, of course is the famous arena that housed "The Experiment" back in 2003.  Take a ride by or see a show that Saturday (not sure if anyone's playing).

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    A question regarding hotels......we are currently booked at the Copley Square Hotel.  The location seems good, but the reviews say the rooms are a bit small and old.

I found a similarly priced room at the Hyatt in Cambridge, which is a bit farther from Fenway Park.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    As far as location, can't go wrong either way. I'd base your decision on where you'd rather explore outside of the shows. Downtown Boston or Cambridge/Somerville? Haven't been in a room at either place, but I just treat hotels as a place to crash.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Everyone stop recommending trillium I don’t want it to be too crowded that weekend :smiley:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    Everyone stop recommending trillium I don’t want it to be too crowded that weekend :smiley:
    Send all the first timers to Trillium then slide out to Tree House
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    pjl44 said:
    Send all the first timers to Trillium then slide out to Tree House
    I'll be doing tree house on the way home :sunglasses:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    A question regarding hotels......we are currently booked at the Copley Square Hotel.  The location seems good, but the reviews say the rooms are a bit small and old.

I found a similarly priced room at the Hyatt in Cambridge, which is a bit farther from Fenway Park.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    As far as location, can't go wrong either way. I'd base your decision on where you'd rather explore outside of the shows. Downtown Boston or Cambridge/Somerville? Haven't been in a room at either place, but I just treat hotels as a place to crash.
    Thanks for your reply.  Since the Uber/Lyft scene is usually a clusterf*ck after big events, I just want to make sure it won't be too long of a walk to get back to whichever hotel we choose.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for your reply.  Since the Uber/Lyft scene is usually a clusterf*ck after big events, I just want to make sure it won't be too long of a walk to get back to whichever hotel we choose.
    If you are thinking of walking back I would skip Cambridge. Copley Square isn't a very long walk down Boylston street from Fenway and these shows will end between 10:30-11. There will be tons of people walking in your direction.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    If you are thinking of walking back I would skip Cambridge. Copley Square isn't a very long walk down Boylston street from Fenway and these shows will end between 10:30-11. There will be tons of people walking in your direction.
    Thanks for the tip!
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, Copley Square Hotel is half a mile closer. Unless you will have a raft.
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, Copley Square Hotel is half a mile closer. Unless you will have a raft.
    Nope.....leaving the raft at home this time around!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    edited February 2018
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Did some work in the Copley Sq. hotel a long time ago, (like 20-22 years ago) its an older hotel, rooms were definitely small. Not sure how much updating they've done in the interim, but it was definitely dated back then.

Its location is good though for maneuvering around the back bay where there's plenty of shopping for MRS.MRS.MRS.JOEJOEJOE and lots of restaurant options. Not too bad a walk to/from Fenway.

The walk from the Hyatt in Cambridge not as bad as you might think, over the BU Bridge and walk down Mountfort Street through the Cottage Farm neighborhood of Brookline/B.U. South Campus area, probably only a few minutes longer.

But definitely more to do close by the Copley.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    edited February 2018
    According to Google Maps it's about 40mins walk from Fenway to where I am staying (China Town). How safe is it to walk around town at night, esp as a woman? 
    Post edited by Miss.Snowdrop on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    According to Google Maps it's about 40mins walk from Fenway to where I am staying (China Town). How safe is it to walk around town at night, esp as a woman? 
    There will be plenty of people on the streets but like any other major city it is probably best not to walk alone. If you are alone maybe take an Uber or a cab.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,415
    I heard they do a wicked tea party there.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

We are staying at the Courtyard by Marriott in Brookline (Coolidge Corner). We've stayed there a few times before. Rooms were recently renovated, it's right by the T, and Coolidge Corner is a nice area. And, Boston being small, it's really not that far from Fenway. As for hotels in Cambridge, we've stayed at the Marriott and Residence Inn in Kendall Square, although that was a number of years ago; they're nice, but that area can feel kind of empty on weekends.

I'd consider any Cambridge hotel that's easily accessed by walking across the Charles via Mass Ave, if I were you. And I just looked at the Marriott website; I see a lot of places with rooms available, although, Boston being Boston, none are inexpensive.

I'm in Boston right now, visiting one of my college students. I ran by the MidTown today. I thought it looked a bit sketchy, but if you are a dude just looking for a place to crash, it's probably okay.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Poncier said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Did some work in the Copley Sq. hotel a long time ago, (like 20-22 years ago) its an older hotel, rooms were definitely small. Not sure how much updating they've done in the interim, but it was definitely dated back then.

Its location is good though for maneuvering around the back bay where there's plenty of shopping for MRS.MRS.MRS.JOEJOEJOE and lots of restaurant options. Not too bad a walk to/from Fenway.

The walk from the Hyatt in Cambridge not as bad as you might think, over the BU Bridge and walk down Mountfort Street through the Cottage Farm neighborhood of Brookline/B.U. South Campus area, probably only a few minutes longer.

But definitely more to do close by the Copley.

Thanks for the advice.....since we will have a lot of free time before/between the shows, I prefer to be in a populated area, especially so the Mrs. can do her shopping!
  • ruthlessgringoruthlessgringo South Carolina Posts: 60
    I plan on getting into Boston early Sunday, got tickets to night 2, gonna try to get tickets to night 1. We have plans to venture and sight see on that Monday, but it is labor day. Will the museums in Salem and tourists spots along, and among the freedom trail be open? 
    This is what one of the most famous museums in Boston have said for Labor Day

Free Admission - Isabella Gardner Museum 

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (25 Evans Way, Fenway neighborhood) offers free admission to the museum starting at 11am on Labor Day in honor of Frank Hatch, a longtime museum trustee and Boston arts supporter. 

Entrance is on a first come, first served basis, but due to capacity limits, the museum can admit only a specific number of visitors at once so you may have to wait in line for awhile.  Entry is timed for every 30 minutes, beginning at 11am and ending at 4pm.  

If you don't want to wait in line on Monday, keep in mind that you can also enter for free on other days if you have a Go Boston Discount Card.

edited February 2018
    By the way, for those staying near Fenway, the movie "Good Will Huntiling" was filmed at the L Street Tavern, about 15 minutes from Fenway Park in case you want to sight see.
    If you want to visit Cheers in Boston, which the famous TV show was based on, it's near Fenway Park as well.

https://cheersboston.com
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    If you have a day to kill between shows go visit Portland, ME. Train direct from Boston. Excellent food/beer/coastline 
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    By the way, for those staying near Fenway, the movie "Good Will Huntiling" was filmed at the L Street Tavern, about 15 minutes from Fenway Park in case you want to sight see.
    Not 15 minutes by foot, 15 by car.
    I plan on getting into Boston early Sunday, got tickets to night 2, gonna try to get tickets to night 1. We have plans to venture and sight see on that Monday, but it is labor day. Will the museums in Salem and tourists spots along, and among the freedom trail be open? 

Everything will be open on Labor Day.
    This is what one of the most famous museums in Boston have said for Labor Day

Free Admission - Isabella Gardner Museum 

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (25 Evans Way, Fenway neighborhood) offers free admission to the museum starting at 11am on Labor Day in honor of Frank Hatch, a longtime museum trustee and Boston arts supporter. 

Entrance is on a first come, first served basis, but due to capacity limits, the museum can admit only a specific number of visitors at once so you may have to wait in line for awhile.  Entry is timed for every 30 minutes, beginning at 11am and ending at 4pm.  

If you don't want to wait in line on Monday, keep in mind that you can also enter for free on other days if you have a Go Boston Discount Card.

Go see where one of the biggest unsolved art heists of the 20th century happened!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Walk around wearing a Eagles Superbowl Champions tshirt.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Walk around wearing a Eagles Superbowl Champions tshirt.
    I like that idea... 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I got a pretty good deal on the Godfrey Hotel for the weekend. Anyone ever stay there before?

www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    If you’re interested in dinner spots, there is a place called Applebee's not that far from Fenway you should check out.

Eat some good food in the neighborhood prior to heading into the show. Make it a great night. Enjoy!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    McDonalds.  That place rocks.  (If you like a 99¢ cleanse menu)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    Don’t forget your Dunk’s. 3 visit minimum per day.