Options

Discussion done, please close

124»

Comments

• Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347

I want to see Robert Plant tonight at the Beacon, but the bastards that knew about the show before I did, planned, and bought the tickets back in September are now selling to their extra's for $300.

It's not fair!  I should also be able to go to something I wanna go to for face value after doing no planning and waking up the day of and deciding I wanna go from the people that did.

Oh, cruel, cruel world!

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Btw, it's not like the ticket buyers aren't guilty in all this. They are just as culpable when they purchase tix on the secondary market. They are, at the end of the day, the real problem and are the ones who ultimately screw us all over in their desire to get what they want no matter what. The sellers wouldn't do it if the fans wouldn't buy it. That is why I encourage ALL fans to not buy marked up tickets, ever. I think missing shows is worth not supporting this terrible kind of business.
    Hard to blame the fans. I’m guilty of buying from a scapler. I’ve spent $400 on one ticket to go see PJ when I couldn’t get a ticket anywhere else. I wanted a primo seat and I paid for it. Nobody says scalpers are killing babies, they’ll always be around if people are willing to pay them. The real issue here is a 10c member had a GA ticket for sale on StubHub. Those tickets are meant for fans and are not meant for making money off of. 
    I don't find it hard to blame the fans at all.
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If everyone boycotted, put themselves behind the greater good in terms of concert tickets, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    StubHub had a record quarter with GMV of $1.2 billion, up 5%, and revenue of $279 million, up 20%.  GMV = gross merchandise volume.  They sold 1.2 BILLION dollars worth of tickets in one quarter, they are not going anywhere.  Its just the way it is and while its great that you don't buy tickets for over face value, the masses will continue to buy on stubhub over and below face.  Its just not going to change and I for one will not short-change myself on shows I want to see.  There is no such thing as a sold-out show anymore.  Me sitting out and missing shows I want to see doesn't even represent a drop in the bucket with regards to the overall problem so why do it.
    Gorge
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Btw, it's not like the ticket buyers aren't guilty in all this. They are just as culpable when they purchase tix on the secondary market. They are, at the end of the day, the real problem and are the ones who ultimately screw us all over in their desire to get what they want no matter what. The sellers wouldn't do it if the fans wouldn't buy it. That is why I encourage ALL fans to not buy marked up tickets, ever. I think missing shows is worth not supporting this terrible kind of business.
    Hard to blame the fans. I’m guilty of buying from a scapler. I’ve spent $400 on one ticket to go see PJ when I couldn’t get a ticket anywhere else. I wanted a primo seat and I paid for it. Nobody says scalpers are killing babies, they’ll always be around if people are willing to pay them. The real issue here is a 10c member had a GA ticket for sale on StubHub. Those tickets are meant for fans and are not meant for making money off of. 
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If everyone boycotted, put themselves behind the greater good in terms of concert tickets, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    StubHub had a record quarter with GMV of $1.2 billion, up 5%, and revenue of $279 million, up 20%.  GMV = gross merchandise volume.  They sold 1.2 BILLION dollars worth of tickets in one quarter, they are not going anywhere.  Its just the way it is and while its great that you don't buy tickets for over face value, the masses will continue to buy on stubhub over and below face.  Its just not going to change and I for one will not short-change myself on shows I want to see.  There is no such thing as a sold-out show anymore.  Me sitting out and missing shows I want to see doesn't even represent a drop in the bucket with regards to the overall problem so why do it.
    I know. The scalpers and their customers are like the oil industry. No matter how bad it is for everyone, it will never lose because of greed and self interest. It is one of the sad realities of our parasitic existence as humans in a society. But why be one who refuses to participate? Because I would be an asshole if I did participate. I'm not going to have the attitude that I do about it and then go ahead and do it anyway just because it's a lost cause because too many people don't give a shit. That isn't the kind of person I want to be. Every drop counts!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    Saltzy23 said:

I want to see Robert Plant tonight at the Beacon, but the bastards that knew about the show before I did, planned, and bought the tickets back in September are now selling to their extra's for $300.

It's not fair!  I should also be able to go to something I wanna go to for face value after doing no planning and waking up the day of and deciding I wanna go from the people that did.

Oh, cruel, cruel world!

You buy tickets to purposely flip and sell them. That has nothing to do with what you are saying. The reason why a lot of fans have to go to the secondary market is because people like you scoop the tickets up right away with full intent not to go to the show and instead flip them immediately on a secondary market. You example is ridiculous. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

People also completely forget what it was like before guaranteed 3rd party market places where you needed to show up to the venue with a wad of cash to buy a ticket you prayed to God was legit and/or not already scanned in.

Stubhub is a service that allows people to see any event they want, at whatever the market rate is at the time, and be 100% sure the tickets are legit.

How that is "scummy" or "immoral" is completely beyond me.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    My feelings in summation:

1. The main topic is about Ten Club Ticket Policy and I hope these people get what's coming to them. Some public shaming would be nice, but you can't have everything. 

2. Straight scalping aside, I see a lot of people here and elsewhere seemingly thinking they have workarounds for the new system figured out. It will bring me great joy if they take it on the chin then melt down in a forum post.

3. The secondary market has changed a lot in the last 5-10 years. If your default setting is to get Mad Online about it, I'd suggest channeling your emotions from anger to curiosity. Learn how to find deals and make it work to your advantage. If your only interest is awesome seats to high demand events, consider diversifying those interests.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I know. The scalpers and their customers are like the oil industry. No matter how bad it is for everyone, it will never lose because of greed and self interest. It is one of the sad realities of our parasitic existence as humans in a society. But why be one who refuses to participate? Because I would be an asshole if I did participate. I'm not going to have the attitude that I do about it and then go ahead and do it anyway just because it's a lost cause because too many people don't give a shit. That isn't the kind of person I want to be. Every drop counts!
    Respect!  I do not have the self-control.  Also, as I get older, I've become more of a seat-snob and would rather over-pay to sit in good seats vs sitting in the 300-level of an arena.  I'm admittedly not a "just be happy to be in the building, bro" kinda guy anymore.  Coincidentally, my wife also enjoys sitting in nice seats =).
    Gorge
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Respect!  I do not have the self-control.  Also, as I get older, I've become more of a seat-snob and would rather over-pay to sit in good seats vs sitting in the 300-level of an arena.  I'm admittedly not a "just be happy to be in the building, bro" kinda guy anymore.  Coincidentally, my wife also enjoys sitting in nice seats =).
    Haha, I'm admittedly a seat snob too. "Just happy to be in the building" is a concept that I can't seem to embrace. :lol: But I just have to make do without resorting to scalping. So I sign up for every mail list, free fan club (paid, in the case of 10C obviously), every radio station presale, I follow everyone I can think of on Spotify to get those presales, and I have an AMEX so can get in on any of those Front of the Line presales too. And I completely stress over the presales, lol. I get all nervous and my heart starts beating faster when that timer flips over to 10am and the race begins. :lol: So I usually end up with at least a pretty decent seat, if not a great one or GA. I have been known to not attend a show I really wanted to see because all I could pull was really shitty nosebleeds and that just wasn't how I wanted to experience the show. Once in a while I make the sacrifice. But hardly ever. If I work at it hard enough, I'm almost always pretty happy with what I get playing it straight. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Haha, I'm admittedly a seat snob too. "Just happy to be in the building" is a concept that I can't seem to embrace. :lol: But I just have to make do without resorting to scalping. So I sign up for every mail list, free fan club (paid, in the case of 10C obviously), every radio station presale, I follow everyone I can think of on Spotify to get those presales, and I have an AMEX so can get in on any of those Front of the Line presales too. And I completely stress over the presales, lol. I get all nervous and my heart starts beating faster when that timer flips over to 10am and the race begins. :lol: So I usually end up with at least a pretty decent seat, if not a great one or GA. I have been known to not attend a show I really wanted to see because all I could pull was really shitty nosebleeds and that just wasn't how I wanted to experience the show. Once in a while I make the sacrifice. But hardly ever. If I work at it hard enough, I'm almost always pretty happy with what I get playing it straight. :)
    I’m the same. I only put in for GA this lottery and got burned. Oh well. But I’d be making a large trip to see any of the shows so it was GA or bust. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If they did, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    At the end of the day if there’s enough demand for something there will be the ones who sell and the ones who buy. I was unlucky this lottery. If a 10c member offered me a GA to Wrigley 1 right now for over face value would I buy it? I have a budget but my need to see this band live might make me consider it. Would I rat him out? Probably not. I would beg and plead a bit buy I’d probably buy it. So you’re probably right, fans are just as guilty I guess. 
    Well aside from the obvious moral problem with that, be careful. If you are part of a transaction where 10C tix are being scalped you'll lose your membership just as fast as the seller, if you're found out somehow.
    I hear you. Just trying to say that desperation could get the best of someone 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    Anyways, hope they catch the assholes trying to flip 10c tickets. I’m out of luck this time around. All those who are going to the shows, bring the love. Anyone who has an extra GA to Wrigley 1, I am here to purchase..... at face value. I’d like to end the conversation if nobody minds, it’s kind of getting stale. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I guess I’m in the minority here because I don’t really have an issue with people buying something and selling higher if the market dictates a higher price. I obviously 100% disagree with people flipping 10 club tickets because it’s against the rules and those tickets are meant for 10 clubbers.  Half the things I buy on a weekly basis are usually from a company that bought low and is selling to me at a higher price. I’m also of the age now where I’m willing to pay for what I want. I’m not just happy to be in the building anymore so if good seats are available to a concert, sporting event or whatever, I have no problem buying them at a highly inflated price if that’s what the market dictates. If I don’t feel like spending the asking price, then I won’t buy it. Just my opinion of course. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    How many of the people bitching about the secondary market for tickets also prop up the secondary merch market around here? This board even has a forum for such activity. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    How many of the people bitching about the secondary market for tickets also prop up the secondary merch market around here? This board even has a forum for such activity. 

That's totally different, OK?

Because I said so, that's why.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    pjl44 said:

2. Straight scalping aside, I see a lot of people here and elsewhere seemingly thinking they have workarounds for the new system figured out. It will bring me great joy if they take it on the chin then melt down in a forum post.

It seemed pretty risky to me take on additional tickets during the lotto.  I thought about it, but even selling pairs to other 10c members at face seemed dubious at best.

If your GA and your partner got Reserved's for the same show.  It's usually separate entrances for GA/Reserved.  So you couldn't walk in and then split up.   You can only transfer a single ticket, so that makes it pretty hard to sell a pair of reserved if you upgraded and went to GA.  

No one really has any idea on what mobile system is being used.  The podcast made it seem like TM's.   Which means you can't sell screenshots because they put animations on the screen to prevent that.   We don't know if they'll do ID checks at the venues when entering (to me that would really slow down the check in process, but you don't know for sure).

I think the new system worked well.  Prevented me from buying too many tickets via two memberships in the household.   That means someone else got a better chance to win elsewhere in the lotto. 

Right now it seems super risky to sell/buy pairs.  you really have no idea at this point how it's going to play out, and what levels of scrutiny there will be entering the venue?  Not until the first show in Seattle.....
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    jeffbr said:
    I was thinking the exact same thing while reading all of this.  Leave the guy alone.  He’s completely within his right to sell his mlb tickets if he wants to.  
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,056
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

It seemed pretty risky to me take on additional tickets during the lotto.  I thought about it, but even selling pairs to other 10c members at face seemed dubious at best.

If your GA and your partner got Reserved's for the same show.  It's usually separate entrances for GA/Reserved.  So you couldn't walk in and then split up.   You can only transfer a single ticket, so that makes it pretty hard to sell a pair of reserved if you upgraded and went to GA.  

No one really has any idea on what mobile system is being used.  The podcast made it seem like TM's.   Which means you can't sell screenshots because they put animations on the screen to prevent that.   We don't know if they'll do ID checks at the venues when entering (to me that would really slow down the check in process, but you don't know for sure).

I think the new system worked well.  Prevented me from buying too many tickets via two memberships in the household.   That means someone else got a better chance to win elsewhere in the lotto. 

Right now it seems super risky to sell/buy pairs.  you really have no idea at this point how it's going to play out, and what levels of scrutiny there will be entering the venue?  Not until the first show in Seattle.....
    Agree all around. I think your points on entrances and staff scrutiny will be key. People making some assumptions that I don't think are terribly safe.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    jeffbr said:
    I was thinking the exact same thing while reading all of this.  Leave the guy alone.  He’s completely within his right to sell his mlb tickets if he wants to.  
    It's a discussion board. Prepare to receive feedback of differing viewpoints. It's not like there's any harassment going on. No one has stated that he or anyone else doesn't have the right to sell tickets. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Markets are driven by consumers. Also, if you purchase a ticket, you own it and can do with it as you please. 
    I just refuse to buy tickets at mark up. The consumers can stop this! I hate scalpers! 
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    closed at op's request
This discussion has been closed.