Discussion done, please close

Comments

• Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    edited February 2018
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

You guys are missing the point.

Unless Stubhub is literally going to facilitate the seller either obtaining the cell number of the buyer so they can transfer the extra through the 10C system, or act as a middle man to send them a screen grab of it or something selling extra 10C tickets on Stubhub the way they are being distributed for this tour is impossible.

There are still other ways to try and dime the system, like Craigslist or whatever, but I am not seeing how anyone can get their extra from Point A to Point B using Stubhub as the service provider.

Not sure StubHub would even care where the ticket comes from. As long as the ticket is legit, they’re making a percentage on the sale and that’s all they care about. If someone is willing to pay for it, they’ll buy the ticket and when the 10c member gets their tickets they’ll get the phone number from the buyer and transfer the ticket. It seems pretty simple. Maybe I’m missing something. At the end of the day it’s not illegal, it just goes against 10c rules so really all the seller is risking is their membership if they even care about it or not. 

No.  They won't.  It's not how it fucking works.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all dickhead here, but I made like $15k selling tickets on Stubhub last year, and I kinda know it all.

Stubhub is a huge global ticketing service. They are not going to start acting like a middle man (to assist in selling tickets that shouldn't even be sold) to manually hand hold 2 people being able to coordinate on how to transfer a ticket from one mobile phone to another, which won't even be accessible for like 5 more months.

Just go with me here.

That's "amateur?" 15k?
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Gtilley8 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Unless Stubhub is literally going to facilitate the seller either obtaining the cell number of the buyer so they can transfer the extra through the 10C system, or act as a middle man to send them a screen grab of it or something selling extra 10C tickets on Stubhub the way they are being distributed for this tour is impossible.

There are still other ways to try and dime the system, like Craigslist or whatever, but I am not seeing how anyone can get their extra from Point A to Point B using Stubhub as the service provider.

Not sure StubHub would even care where the ticket comes from. As long as the ticket is legit, they’re making a percentage on the sale and that’s all they care about. If someone is willing to pay for it, they’ll buy the ticket and when the 10c member gets their tickets they’ll get the phone number from the buyer and transfer the ticket. It seems pretty simple. Maybe I’m missing something. At the end of the day it’s not illegal, it just goes against 10c rules so really all the seller is risking is their membership if they even care about it or not. 

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all dickhead here, but I made like $15k selling tickets on Stubhub last year, and I kinda know it all.

Stubhub is a huge global ticketing service. They are not going to start acting like a middle man (to assist in selling tickets that shouldn't even be sold) to manually hand hold 2 people being able to coordinate on how to transfer a ticket from one mobile phone to another, which won't even be accessible for like 5 more months.

Just go with me here.

That's "amateur?" 15k?

Gross.

Net is probably like $4k-$5k maybe.

Again, I have 4 full season tickets to a MLB team.  There is only one of me, meaning I have a lot of inventory to unload every season.

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

You might be part of the problem 

Of free market laisse faire capitalism?  Sure.

It's LITERALLY Stubhub's entire business model.

As stated, I have never sold any 10C seats on Stubhub ever, nor will I.

Everything else is fair game. 

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Sounds like quite the contradiction.  So its cool to scalp Pearl Jam fans as long as its not with 10C tickets?  I don't understand that one.  I'm not sure if you are aware but Stubhub sells mobile tickets.  They have been selling them for a while.  They use email addresses to transfer mobile tickets from one user to another.  No hand holding necessary.
    Gorge
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Scalping is an immoral and unscrupulous activity no matter what tickets they are.... nothing anyone can do about it if the scalper is doing it legally. Of course that doesn't mean we can't have a profound disrespect for anyone who does it either way. And I would never expect a scalper to give a shit if people think they're creeps for partaking in such a seedy business.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Ticket Master owns stub hub, Pearl Jam works with ticket master... 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Scalping is an immoral and unscrupulous activity no matter what tickets they are.... nothing anyone can do about it if the scalper is doing it legally. Of course that doesn't mean we can't have a profound disrespect for anyone who does it either way. And I would never expect a scalper to give a shit if people think they're creeps for partaking in such a seedy business.
    Right.  But we are supposed to believe that the immoral scalper somehow becomes moral when it comes to 10C tickets...lol
    Gorge
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Sounds like quite the contradiction.  So its cool to scalp Pearl Jam fans as long as its not with 10C tickets?  I don't understand that one.  I'm not sure if you are aware but Stubhub sells mobile tickets.  They have been selling them for a while.  They use email addresses to transfer mobile tickets from one user to another.  No hand holding necessary.

I have never sold any PJ tickets for over face value, ever.  Irregardless of how I was able to get them.

I do love the scarlet letter that you get by admitting that you sell/have sold tickets for over face value.

Again, it's literally Stubhub's entire business model, and this is America.

They are commodity just like anything else.  I do the same thing with stocks and yet no one seems to think that is wrong, but if you sell tickets you are a scumag.

I have never got that, and never will.

• Options
    P-Town-P-Jam-FanP-Town-P-Jam-Fan Posts: 898
    edited February 2018
    riley540 said:
    Ticket Master owns stub hub, Pearl Jam works with ticket master... 
    Wrong.  That's like saying McDonalds owns Burger King.
    Gorge
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

I drop $11k on my baseball tickets every year.  Most of them are worth less than I paid for them or are unused, so I compensate by selling the premo games for a profit.  I guess that males me a creep.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,144
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure if I consider it immoral.  All it is, is an arbitrage opportunity.   A good is sold for below its market value, which creates an opportunity for someone to come in, but below its market value, and resell it at its market value.

I loathe scalpers, brokers, and the tactics they use, but only because it's for something I really like.  If it was any other good being bought below cost, and then resold at it's market value, most people wouldn't blink.
  • Options

I have had this debate more times that I even can remember.

People that try and dime systems to get their hands on tickets just so they can get fans to pay over face are 'seedy' I guess, although as a staunch free market capitalist I am kind of OK with it, as long as it's literally not in the rules for buying the tickets to begin with, like the 10C.

In general though, people totally ignore the other side of the coin where someone laid out a bunch of money in advance for bulk tickets and mitigate the costs by selling some of the higher demand ones for over face value.

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

F you made 15k selling tickets, profit....you are 100% the problem.  Buying and selling here and there, ok, but 15k in your pocket?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure if I consider it immoral.  All it is, is an arbitrage opportunity.   A good is sold for below its market value, which creates an opportunity for someone to come in, but below its market value, and resell it at its market value.

I loathe scalpers, brokers, and the tactics they use, but only because it's for something I really like.  If it was any other good being bought below cost, and then resold at it's market value, most people wouldn't blink.
    I can only speak for myself on that, but I think it's immoral to flip any kinds of goods. I definitely blink if I know someone is, say, buying something on sale and then turning around and selling it for 3 times its value. I know it's legal, but I still think it's a shitty way to take advantage of people. It's so opportunistic, and I don't go for that in any case. The world would be a much better place if people weren't like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,239
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

I have never sold any PJ tickets for over face value, ever.  Irregardless of how I was able to get them.

I do love the scarlet letter that you get by admitting that you sell/have sold tickets for over face value.

They are commodity just like anything else.  I do the same thing with stocks and yet no one seems to think that is wrong, but if you sell tickets you are a scumag.

You've made that clear. If the mindset is greed then that's something each individual needs to make a decision on if it's worth it to them as a person. No one forces you to buy 4 season tickets either, just like no one forces anyone to buy them from you for above market value. When you buy out the market and then jack up the cost because you alone have that supply, that's not selling someone a good for the fair cost. Would I love to make an extra 5k reselling tickets or anything above face? Definitely, but it only feeds the problems of our already fucked up system that rewards and enables greed. I too have resold tickets I couldn't use on Stubhub, but I sell them at face. Yeah, Stubhub adds their fee, but I can't control that. And the green disease lives on!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Btw, it's not like the ticket buyers aren't guilty in all this. They are just as culpable when they purchase tix on the secondary market. They are, at the end of the day, the real problem and are the ones who ultimately screw us all over in their desire to get what they want no matter what. The sellers wouldn't do it if the fans wouldn't buy it. That is why I encourage ALL fans to not buy marked up tickets, ever. I think missing shows is worth not supporting this terrible kind of business.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I can only speak for myself on that, but I think it's immoral to flip any kinds of goods. I definitely blink if I know someone is, say, buying something on sale and then turning around and selling it for 3 times its value. I know it's legal, but I still think it's a shitty way to take advantage of people. It's so opportunistic, and I don't go for that in any case. The world would be a much better place if people weren't like that.
    I'm with you PJ. It amazes me how many people are ok with this, but it shouldn't be surprising because it's the world we live in.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    tbergs said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

You've made that clear. If the mindset is greed then that's something each individual needs to make a decision on if it's worth it to them as a person. No one forces you to buy 4 season tickets either, just like no one forces anyone to buy them from you for above market value. When you buy out the market and then jack up the cost because you alone have that supply, that's not selling someone a good for the fair cost. Would I love to make an extra 5k reselling tickets or anything above face? Definitely, but it only feeds the problems of our already fucked up system that rewards and enables greed. I too have resold tickets I couldn't use on Stubhub, but I sell them at face. Yeah, Stubhub adds their fee, but I can't control that. And the green disease lives on!

My online account that stores my baseball e-tickets from the team that allows me to forward, print, etc. also has a 'Sell on StubHub' dropdown that links directly to Stubhub and automatically loads everything so you can list the tickets in like 4 clicks.

The season ticket holder book actually says, 'It's a great way to sell your extra tickets and mitigate the costs of the tickets.'

Stubhub is the actual approved 3rd party vendor for most MLB teams.

What scumbags!

Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

F you made 15k selling tickets, profit....you are 100% the problem.  Buying and selling here and there, ok, but 15k in your pocket?
    This is only a problem if you buy the tickets.

Don't buy the tickets.

I don't by secondhand tickets over face.  Never have and never will.
  • Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Btw, it's not like the ticket buyers aren't guilty in all this. They are just as culpable when they purchase tix on the secondary market. They are, at the end of the day, the real problem and are the ones who ultimately screw us all over in their desire to get what they want no matter what. The sellers wouldn't do it if the fans wouldn't buy it. That is why I encourage ALL fans to not buy marked up tickets, ever. I think missing shows is worth not supporting this terrible kind of business.
    Hard to blame the fans. I’m guilty of buying from a scapler. I’ve spent $400 on one ticket to go see PJ when I couldn’t get a ticket anywhere else. I wanted a primo seat and I paid for it. Nobody says scalpers are killing babies, they’ll always be around if people are willing to pay them. The real issue here is a 10c member had a GA ticket for sale on StubHub. Those tickets are meant for fans and are not meant for making money off of. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

PJ_Soul said:
    I think missing shows is worth not supporting this terrible kind of business.
    That's where you might be on an island.  Sounds like a lot of idealism.  I buy tickets above, below, and at face value.  If you are wealthy and time is money (this is not me, but just saying) you can't camp out on ticketmaster trying to buy tickets in a rigged system.  You just go to the secondary market and spend whatever amount of money you want to spend to sit where you want to sit.  Sitting out shows to be a moralist is not something i'm willing to do.  Its just the way the world goes round.  Blame it on the rich.
    Gorge
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hard to blame the fans. I’m guilty of buying from a scapler. I’ve spent $400 on one ticket to go see PJ when I couldn’t get a ticket anywhere else. I wanted a primo seat and I paid for it. Nobody says scalpers are killing babies, they’ll always be around if people are willing to pay them. The real issue here is a 10c member had a GA ticket for sale on StubHub. Those tickets are meant for fans and are not meant for making money off of. 
    Any ticket being sold is for the fans, but we know it's also a huge open market for those only looking to score tickets at face that they will then turnaround at 2 - 3 times the value or more. It's gross behavior no matter if it's done on a specific PJ fan ticket or Justin f-ing Bieber. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

This.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:
    tbergs said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

My online account that stores my baseball e-tickets from the team that allows me to forward, print, etc. also has a 'Sell on StubHub' dropdown that links directly to Stubhub and automatically loads everything so you can list the tickets in like 4 clicks.

The season ticket holder book actually says, 'It's a great way to sell your extra tickets and mitigate the costs of the tickets.'

What scumbags!

I don't think that means sell them for more to make a profit. The fact that you can't sell every ticket is the risk you took going in to the situation. Either way, you're still only half of the problem, but you are a part of the problem whether you see it that way or not.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't find it hard to blame the fans at all.
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If everyone boycotted, put themselves behind the greater good in terms of concert tickets, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    my2hands said:
    Burn that fucker on the stake

I don't care what you flip... posters, shirts, socks, stickers, dog collars.... don't give a shit

But dont EVER flip 10c tix... scumbags
    AGREED. 
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If everyone boycotted, put themselves behind the greater good in terms of concert tickets, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    She didn't do any horizontal mambo.  She was a good woman...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    tbergs said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    tbergs said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Just go with me here.

What scumbags!

I don't think that means sell them for more to make a profit. The fact that you can't sell every ticket is the risk you took going in to the situation. Either way, you're still only half of the problem, but you are a part of the problem whether you see it that way or not.

What problem?

The one where a willing buyer and a willing seller exchanged currency for a commodity at an agreed upon market rate via a 3rd party that facilitated and enabled the exchange for a % of the sale?

I see no problem here.

That I guess, is the problem.

• Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If they did, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    At the end of the day if there’s enough demand for something there will be the ones who sell and the ones who buy. I was unlucky this lottery. If a 10c member offered me a GA to Wrigley 1 right now for over face value would I buy it? I have a budget but my need to see this band live might make me consider it. Would I rat him out? Probably not. I would beg and plead a bit buy I’d probably buy it. So you’re probably right, fans are just as guilty I guess. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Now I don't want to make it sound like I think I'm Mother fucking Teresa or anything, lol, but it isn't hard to just say, "shitty. I really really really want to see that show.... but I won't get what I want for the greater good. I will not support the scalping industry." To me, it's worth it to miss the show. I wish everyone would boycott the secondary market (unless the price is face value or below of course - those sales aren't the problem). If they did, we'd see an end to this problem immediately. Obviously, I don't actually expect that to happen, but I can at least not make myself a part of the problem.
    At the end of the day if there’s enough demand for something there will be the ones who sell and the ones who buy. I was unlucky this lottery. If a 10c member offered me a GA to Wrigley 1 right now for over face value would I buy it? I have a budget but my need to see this band live might make me consider it. Would I rat him out? Probably not. I would beg and plead a bit buy I’d probably buy it. So you’re probably right, fans are just as guilty I guess. 
    Well aside from the obvious moral problem with that, be careful. If you are part of a transaction where 10C tix are being scalped you'll lose your membership just as fast as the seller, if you're found out somehow.
This discussion has been closed.