BERLIN PRE-PARTY 2018

Comments

• myownblacksundownmyownblacksundown Posts: 111
    edited January 2018
    Hi Steff,

You play at my hometown next week (Kulturbastion). Will we see any Pearl Jam tunes?
    All the best for your pre party, we will only hit Berlin on the 5th.
    Christian
    Post edited by myownblacksundown on
  • w8scmaw8scma Berlin Posts: 49
    JzP said:
    I'll be with CrazyMartin!
    Allright! Thanks JzP! See you there (maybe)... :)
    Prague 2000. Berlin 2006. Berlin 2007. Berlin 2009. Berlin 2010. Philadelphia 2012. Chicago 2013 (Wrigley). Milan 2014. Trieste 2014. Berlin 2014. New York 2016 (MSG). Berlin 2017 (Eddie Vedder Solo). Padova 2018. Rome 2018. Berlin 2018. Berlin 2019 (Eddie Vedder Solo).

kermie13 said:
    PS: Rickenbackers- totally forgot. great place! 
    I live in the Mehringdamm area, Golgatha is perfect in the summer but we have to keep in mind that the FOOTBALL WORLD CUP is on  =)
    most likely Germany is going to play on the 2nd/ 3rd July, but they might screen other games too. 
    Yeah, that's definitely an important point! I checked: There will be no games on the 4th whatsoever! So we should be cool.
    Prague 2000. Berlin 2006. Berlin 2007. Berlin 2009. Berlin 2010. Philadelphia 2012. Chicago 2013 (Wrigley). Milan 2014. Trieste 2014. Berlin 2014. New York 2016 (MSG). Berlin 2017 (Eddie Vedder Solo). Padova 2018. Rome 2018. Berlin 2018. Berlin 2019 (Eddie Vedder Solo).

None of my friends like Pearl Jam or most just know them because of my obsession hahaha
    Luckily I have a lovely colleague at the museum where I work, he is great fun and a Jammer!
    I'm lucky, since my husband was a Pearl Jam fan first and then "converted" me.. So now it runs in the family.  ;)
    Hi Steff,

You play at my hometown next week (Kulturbastion). Will we see any Pearl Jam tunes?
    All the best for your pre party, we will only hit Berlin on the 5th.
    Christian
    Off topic: Hey, Christian! Wow, what a coincidence! So, you're gonna be there on Saturday? But unfortunately, no Pearl Jam, yet. We're preparing the PJ covers exclusively for July 4th  B)B)B) I suggested to the band to play at least Neil Young's "Rockin' in the free world" as an encore, but our bass player who is from Torgau said, the sophisticated Torgau audience would be underwhelmed by such a "simple tune". Hmm, bummer.  :s
  • We are planning to attend the pre-party on the 4th and looking forward to meeting a lot of great fans!

First time to Berlin and I need some advice on hotel and transportation. We are flying in and out of TXL airport. It is a quick visit to Berlin as we arrive on the 4th and fly out on the 6th to start a trip we already had planned in the UK. My wife is not adventurous so I want to keep getting around simple if possible. Other than the pre-party we want to do one of the walking city tours before the show on the 5th. Any recommendations on where to stay to get easy train access to Zoologischer Garten train station for the city tour and then to the concert that night plus pre-party? Probably do a shuttle to and from the airport. Thanks for any recommendations!
    bejster23 said:
    We are planning to attend the pre-party on the 4th and looking forward to meeting a lot of great fans!

First time to Berlin and I need some advice on hotel and transportation. We are flying in and out of TXL airport. It is a quick visit to Berlin as we arrive on the 4th and fly out on the 6th to start a trip we already had planned in the UK. My wife is not adventurous so I want to keep getting around simple if possible. Other than the pre-party we want to do one of the walking city tours before the show on the 5th. Any recommendations on where to stay to get easy train access to Zoologischer Garten train station for the city tour and then to the concert that night plus pre-party? Probably do a shuttle to and from the airport. Thanks for any recommendations!

Here are some general comments that might be interesting for others as well: Overall, I would not worry too much about public transportation in Berlin. The U-Bahn (subway) is easy to use and very safe! 

Here is a link to the English website of BVG (the Berlin transportation company): https://www.bvg.de/en

Here you can find the map with all stations/subway lineshttps://fahrinfo.bvg.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en?ujm=1&MapLayer=NETWORK

Now, for your questions:  

To get to the Waldbühne you can take the U-Bahn U2 (the red line) to „Olympiastadion“. This line also stops at „Zoologischer Garten“ (for your walking tour). So basically, if you don’t want to switch trains at all, any hotel close to a red line station would be ideal. There are lots of hotels in close to „Zoologischer Garten“ and also close to „Nollendorfplatz“ if you want to be more in the Western city center. If you want to be closer to the Eastern city center you can check out hotels close to „Stadtmitte“, „Hausvogteiplatz“ or „Spittelmarkt“. All these stations are on the U2 line. You’ll definitely find something for your budget. 

I marked the areas on a map for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nyla91pd1jz63f/U2_Zoo.png?dl=0

Coming in from Berlin Tegel airport, the cheapest way to get to the city center would be by bus + U-Bahn. But traveling by bus with bags can be a hassle. So, I usually take a cab. The cab fare from Tegel to the Western city center is about 20 Euro

Hope this helps… ;)

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    w8scma said:
    bejster23 said:
    We are planning to attend the pre-party on the 4th and looking forward to meeting a lot of great fans!

Here are some general comments that might be interesting for others as well: Overall, I would not worry too much about public transportation in Berlin. The U-Bahn (subway) is easy to use and very safe! 

Here is a link to the English website of BVG (the Berlin transportation company): https://www.bvg.de/en

Here you can find the map with all stations/subway lineshttps://fahrinfo.bvg.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en?ujm=1&MapLayer=NETWORK

Now, for your questions:  

To get to the Waldbühne you can take the U-Bahn U2 (the red line) to „Olympiastadion“. This line also stops at „Zoologischer Garten“ (for your walking tour). So basically, if you don’t want to switch trains at all, any hotel close to a red line station would be ideal. There are lots of hotels in close to „Zoologischer Garten“ and also close to „Nollendorfplatz“ if you want to be more in the Western city center. If you want to be closer to the Eastern city center you can check out hotels close to „Stadtmitte“, „Hausvogteiplatz“ or „Spittelmarkt“. All these stations are on the U2 line. You’ll definitely find something for your budget. 

I marked the areas on a map for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nyla91pd1jz63f/U2_Zoo.png?dl=0

Coming in from Berlin Tegel airport, the cheapest way to get to the city center would be by bus + U-Bahn. But traveling by bus with bags can be a hassle. So, I usually take a cab. The cab fare from Tegel to the Western city center is about 20 Euro

Hope this helps… ;)

Thanks! I am putting my luggage in the lockers at the Zoo train station. Is it best to take the Ubahn or Sbahn to the show and back from there taking time and money into account. Google maps just shows the "S". 
    PJNB said:
    Thanks! I am putting my luggage in the lockers at the Zoo train station. Is it best to take the Ubahn or Sbahn to the show and back from there taking time and money into account. Google maps just shows the "S". 
    I guess, Google only shows the S option because the walk from the S-Bahn station to Waldbühne is significantly shorter than from the U-Bahn station. I personally tend to take the U-Bahn, because my impression is that they use more trains when there are big concerts. Any other opinions on this, fellow Berliners??? 
  • TreesmotherTreesmother Netherlands Posts: 24
    Hope to catch an early train from Kraków. Would be interested going to the pre party. 
    Instagram: Treesmother
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    w8scma said:
    alesek said:
    Yeah a lot of people will be travelling on that day. There are 100 of us on two buses already. Should arrive around 6pm in Berlin on the 4th...
    Well, that sounds just perfect. You guys arrive around 6pm, totally relaxed from a day of sleeping in the bus  :D
    You drop off your luggage at your hotels and then join us at the venue. We're looking for a nice central location preferably with food. And once everybody has finished their Bratwurst and Schnitzels and Kartoffelsalat, we start the concert.  
    Then more after show drinking. And at around 12pm, we leave for the real Berlin nightlife... Sounds like a plan? =)=)=) 

I believe the saying is:

Ziggy zaggy Ziggy zaggy oi oi oi!

Correct?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    A bit OFF topic but dies anyone know if the concert will have any opening band(s) and if so who or is the concert a “an evening with Pearl Jam” kind of show?
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited April 2018
    dreamcode said:
    A bit OFF topic but dies anyone know if the concert will have any opening band(s) and if so who or is the concert a “an evening with Pearl Jam” kind of show?
    "An Evening With" typically means no opener and Pearl Jam for about 3 hours, maybe a bit longer.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    dreamcode said:
    So far, no opening band has been announced for Berlin. So, I guess it will be an „evening with Pearl Jam“ kinda show.
    By the way: Looks like we found a very cool location for the pre-party. We‘re right now finalizing the rental contract. And I will send you an update soon! So, stay tuned, everybody!!!  =)=)=)=)=)
  • milanmilan Posts: 447
    any developments on the pre party?
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
    milan said:
    any developments on the pre party?
    https://www.facebook.com/events/885813081593638/
    edited May 2018

Taddaaaaaaa! We can now proudly announce the location for the Berlin pre-party: 
    We managed to get the BAUMHAUSBAR („treehouse bar“) Berlin (Green Room)!!!
    We are so excited!!!  =)  =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)

Address: Falckensteinstr. 48, 10997 Berlin (U-Bahn Schlesisches Tor) http://musikundfrieden.de

This is a cool and cozy spot right in the middle of Berlin nightlife. The Baumhausbar is located at the top of the club Musik&Frieden („music and peace“), the former famous Magnet Club. Sipping your beer, you’ll have a great view on Kreuzberg by night, you can even see the river Spree which is right around the corner. 

Check out the updated information at the top of the thread!!! And stay tuned for more updates! 

Post edited by w8scma on
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,356
    We've not sorted our transport from Krakow yet, but if we get the day bus then we're definitely coming to this :)
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
    The Rock said:
    We've not sorted our transport from Krakow yet, but if we get the day bus then we're definitely coming to this :)
    Hope you're gonna make it!!! See you there!!!
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,356
    w8scma said:
    The Rock said:
    Hope you're gonna make it!!! See you there!!!
    We're 90% sure we'll be there. Just need to decide which shirt to wear!
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    I get into Berlin at around 5pm, I think, so I'll try and make the effort to pop along.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
    Very nice! In the area around the Baumhausbar you'll find a lot of cafes, restaurants and bars where you can sit outside and relax  :)
  • kermie13kermie13 Berlin Posts: 49
    Hey...great location!!!like that place.......unfortunately I won´t be able to make it as I am going to see Leon Bridges that night. 
    Hope all who attend enjoy the pre-party!!!
    Hey, Kermie! Thanks for responding! Have fun with Leon Bridges!!!  B)
    Wow I did not know this was a concert! That is awesome and can not wait to see what you have in store for us! 
    PJNB said:
    Wow I did not know this was a concert! That is awesome and can not wait to see what you have in store for us! 
    Yeah!  :) We're working hard right now to surprise you with some new renditions of our favorite Pearl Jam songs... Hope there will be one you like... =)
    edited June 2018
    w8scma said:
    PJNB said:
    Yeah!  :) We're working hard right now to surprise you with some new renditions of our favorite Pearl Jam songs... Hope there will be one you like... =)
    There will!

Also wondering if anyone here is interested in getting a bite to eat before the preparty? Nothing fancy and looking for something close by. I have never tried wiener schnitzel before and there is a place nearby called Sheers Schnitzel that is cheap and decent if you trust reviews. If someone else has another recommendation for food I am listening!
    PJNB said:
    w8scma said:
    PJNB said:
    There will!

Also wondering if anyone here is interested in getting a bite to eat before the preparty? Nothing fancy and looking for something close by. I have never tried wiener schnitzel before and there is a place nearby called Sheers Schnitzel that is cheap and decent if you trust reviews. If someone else has another recommendation for food I am listening!

To everybody interested in grabbing something to eat: Check out this website with ten tips for restaurants close-by the venue:
    https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germany/articles/top-10-restaurants-in-schlesisches-tor/
    (Disclaimer: The Rootz is closed, but all others still operate...)
    Wow! Only 20 days left until the Pearl Jam Berlin concert! (and 19 for our tribute pre-concert!!!)
    Since more and more people are indicating their interest to come on Facebook, here's some additional information about the venue:
    The concert room can fit 150 (standing) guests. Next to it, there is the bar room with about 50-80 additional seats available. Both rooms are separated by a glass wall. In case it gets really crowded, we can leave the door between the two rooms open, so that people in the bar can also listen to the music. Since we don't know how many people will show up, ARRIVE EARLY TO MAKE SURE YOU GET IN!
    We're terribly excited already!!! See you soon  :)