Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Gtilley8 said:
    I wouldn't mind having him back though, don't get me wrong.  He's lost some command the past couple seasons, but it seems like when we've needed someone to step up in a big game, he's always done so.
    No doubt. Jake has been the man for us.  Totally not even an argument there. Work ethic, preparedness, attitude - love the way he approaches the game.  There's a lot to like.  His comments prior to becoming a free agent, about how he thought he should be paid - they put me off a bit.  Combine that with his political comments on Twitter, which- yeah I'm a liberal, so I thought he looked like an ass..... Either way, that had nothing to do with his baseball skills.  Would take him back for anything that didn't cripple the organization.  
    I am only referring to your last comment here. I don't think Theo would ever out the cubs in a position where one guys contract would cripple them. He has to be, along with BB in New England,  the best general manager in all of professional sports when it comes to player salaries. 
    Completely agree.  That's why I'm generally not worried about whether or not we bring Jake back.  I'd love to have him, no doubt.  But Theo has proved time and again that he knows what he's doing.  I can have every thought in the world about what we should and shouldn't do, but he's taken us to the promised land.  Simple as that.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    ^^^^^^Agree 1000% I may have my own preferences and all that jazz, but until proven otherwise after all these years, what Mr. The says, it goes. If he wants to place 5 million of player salary towards Wizzo, Cookie and Bozo himself, then sign me up as a full on suporter of this decision. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    ^^^^^^Agree 1000% I may have my own preferences and all that jazz, but until proven otherwise after all these years, what Mr. The says, it goes. If he wants to place 5 million of player salary towards Wizzo, Cookie and Bozo himself, then sign me up as a full on suporter of this decision. 
    I think I might have a problem with wizzo getting that much. Cookie and Bozo are worth it.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Gtilley8 said:
    I wouldn't mind having him back though, don't get me wrong.  He's lost some command the past couple seasons, but it seems like when we've needed someone to step up in a big game, he's always done so.
    No doubt. Jake has been the man for us.  Totally not even an argument there. Work ethic, preparedness, attitude - love the way he approaches the game.  There's a lot to like.  His comments prior to becoming a free agent, about how he thought he should be paid - they put me off a bit.  Combine that with his political comments on Twitter, which- yeah I'm a liberal, so I thought he looked like an ass..... Either way, that had nothing to do with his baseball skills.  Would take him back for anything that didn't cripple the organization.  
    I am only referring to your last comment here. I don't think Theo would ever out the cubs in a position where one guys contract would cripple them. He has to be, along with BB in New England,  the best general manager in all of professional sports when it comes to player salaries. 

says Slurrpy McSlurppster.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Gtilley8 said:

Where did the giants finish? Oh yea, they missed the playoffs, again. Miserable, crusty old man
    Wobbie said:
    Gtilley8 said:

Where did the giants finish? Oh yea, they missed the playoffs, again. Miserable, crusty old man

theo......give him all the money in the world and he can build a team.

genius!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The red Sox and cubs have always been big market teams. And how many GMs won a title there? Exactly 1. And with the cubs, most of the core players were not FA signings. Other than the pitching.  Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Russel were all minor league trade acquisitions.  So, yea, he kind of is a genius.
    I’ll look the other way while you suck his dick.

genius!!!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I’ll look the other way while you suck his dick.

genius!!!!!!
    Yea, ok. You know you want to watch, take notes, and copy theos method for the shit team you have in San fran
    beat the fucking dodgers, wouldga?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    beat the fucking dodgers, wouldga?
    We did in 2016. You should be telling your trash team to beat them
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    Gtilley8 said:

theo......give him all the money in the world and he can build a team.

genius!
    Ed Lynch, Andy McPhail, & Jim Hendry had all the money in the world to work with too.  Jed Hoyer is the GM, anyway.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    What World Series Souvenirs do you all have?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Malroth said:
    Not necessarily WS, but the rally towels from the NLCS. Grabbed several of those. Framed up the front page of Chicago Tribune and Sun Times as well.  Grabbed a hat, t shirt, sweatshirt, but I don’t consider those souvenirs. The framed newspapers are my favorite WS possessions. 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    cool.  That's about the same as I have, except I haven't thought to frame the papers.
    I should do that.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    ^ That is AWESOME! 
    How’s this for a souvenir (it is NOT mine)?  Someone my wife works with bought this for her husband for Xmas.  My wife showed me the FB post below. Lucky dude! 

Here are my framed newspapers. One for NLCS clincher and one for WS clincher. I thought the NLCS one was Sun Times but it’s actually Tribune. Great memories!

That bat and ball are freaking awesome! I too have a copy of the Tribune. My girlfriend's mom got me each of the 4 different covers of Sports Illustrated. I intend to have these items all framed.

In addition, I will frame my Game 7 ticket stub with a photo of my brother and I from the game.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Copy of the Tribune
    Copy of the Sun-Times
    A few official Rawlings baseballs (I'm actually working on a collection of these).
    4 or 5 t-shirts
    NL Champs pint glass
    World Series champs pint glass
    A few beer koozies

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    Not necessarily WS, but the rally towels from the NLCS. Grabbed several of those. Framed up the front page of Chicago Tribune and Sun Times as well.  Grabbed a hat, t shirt, sweatshirt, but I don’t consider those souvenirs. The framed newspapers are my favorite WS possessions. 
    That stuffs so cool to collect. My dad’s got a nifty little collection like this. A few bobble heads, hats, Starting Lineup figures and StL Post Dispatch issues from a lot of the big Cards’ moments. The cheap collections are way better than those fancy trophy cases full of bought memorabilia.
    ^ 100% agree. A lot of these are priceless collectibles IMO.  More so than some of the expensive memorabilia/ merch that anyone can go buy from the store. 
    I like having the copies of the newspapers (though I need to store them properly as they've already yellowed a god bit), and I really enjoy the baseballs.  The other stuff - the shirts, the koozies, pint glasses, etc will all eventually wear and tear an go away.  But I have to say the best pieces of memoribilia I have are my photos & memories of the experience I had being in Chicago, watching the games in bars, going to the victory parade/rally, and tossing the ol' pigskin outside the LF bleachers with Theo, Jed, & Almora amongst about 100 or so other fans during that whole week!
    Darvish rumored to be signing this week...

That would put the ball in motion for others to sign.
    Milwaukee? Is that really you making these moves? Plus still in on maybe going after Darvish or Arrieta? That's much more than I thought they would do this year. 
    Milwaukee? Is that really you making these moves? Plus still in on maybe going after Darvish or Arrieta? That's much more than I thought they would do this year. 
    Yelich is a stud too. The brew crew is going to be a force to be reckoned with. 
    They going to move Braun to 1B then use Thames as 4th OF, 1B and DH?

Either way, it's great that the Crew and red birds are making moves to beat the Cubs. The Cubs are making moves that are focused on them trying to win it all (again). It's a different feeling for sure!
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    These additions are definitely going to help the Brewers.  I just hope that some of the other players on the team come down from career years last season.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I think the Cain signing is awful on Milwaukee.
    32 year old OF's that don't hit for power getting a 5 year contract,
    Wow. They will regret that pretty quick. Dumb.