Guitar help!!

Kfawns85Kfawns85 Posts: 51
edited December 2017 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys I’m back for more questions. 

My my wife just recently bought me a Nashville deluxe Tex mex telecaster. I love it. Now I want another guitar for my den. I only play 90s rock. And of course PJ. Any recommendations?  I love the Les Paul’s but damn are they heavy. What about the SRV strat?  Any suggestions would be great. 

Thanks again,

Kyle
Post edited by Kfawns85 on

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    I have a solid body, next I want a hollow or semi-hollow body.  But that's just me.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    Kfawns85 said:
    hey guys I’m back for more questions. 

My my wife just recently bought me a Nashville deluxe Tex mex telecaster. I love it. Now I want another guitar for my den. I only play 90s rock. And of course PJ. Any recommendations?  I love the Les Paul’s but damn are they heavy. What about the SRV strat?  Any suggestions would be great. 

Thanks again,

Kyle
    If you've got a tele, I'd say go for a LP or something with humbuckers next. I love my strat but there's nothing like the feeling of some heavy rhythm through humbuckers.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Agreed. Have you checked out any SGs? Gibson has a few cheaper options. Studio and Faded come to mind.

Epiphone makes a few nice,  player-grade models too. G-400 is a good sounding,  easy playing option for not a lot of money.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Had the same problems with Les Pauls. I'm 5'4 and about 115lbs. I LOVE my Epiphone LP-100. SGs are also very nice. I'm a strat guy but I've got two SGs (both epiphone---SG Special and a Custom Shop G-400) and their versatility is very nice. 
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • The local shop where I live has a Gibson SG for 500 bucks. It’s a maroon red color. I don’t know if h first thing about if it’s worth it
    Unless there's something seriously wrong with it, just about any Gibson SG is worth $500.00.
  • It’s on the used wall. It’s in good shape. I just don’t know anything about them like I mentioned. I’ll maybe go by the shop and get pics and post them. 
    Yeah. Play it through an amp too. See if it plays in tune all the way up the neck, doesn't crackle when you turn the knobs, make sure all of the hardware is tight, and feel if the frets are sticking out the side of the neck.

Pics would be good too.
  • For 480 our the door with a hard case?
    Not bad. Looks like an SG Special faded. Good guitar for the money.
  • So buy it?
    Did you play it? I'd make sure it meets the criteria listed above, feels good to you and sounds good.

Investment wise, you could probably buy it and if you decide you don't like it, you could most likely sell it for what you paid.

It looks like a good guitar for a good price to me, but buying it is entirely up to you. 
  • It sounds like you’re on the right track looking at SG’s. And as always, the rule applies... 

# of guitars you need = # of guitars you have + 1

I have a strat and a tele. My next guitar will probably be an SG. If I were you, I’d play some with both humbuckers and P90’s and see what you like best with your rig. But at the price range you’re looking at, pickups can always be switched out. 

I think you would find the SRV Strat somewhat similar to your Nashville tele (I say that without having played either). Your tele already has a strat pickup and 5-way switch, and I believe the SRV strats come stock with the Tex mex pups, which are higher output, again, probably similar to your Nashville. I admit, I’m not a fan of those in a strat. Maybe you want more of the same. I’m the opposite and am usually looking for more versatility. 

A Nashville Tele and SG would give you lots of options and the SG is way lighter than almost any LP. Play a bunch and let the guitar choose you. 

I’d encourage you to check out TDPRI.com - Telecaster forum. But there is a wealth of knowledge on there from luthiers, techs, amp builders and players on almost any product imaginable. Search the forums for more info. It’ll point you in the right direction. As others said, you have to play and pay from there. 

Again, if I were you, I’d probably consider a wiring mod to use my Nashville bridge and neck pickups (or all 3) in series. This would give you a dark but full humbucking sound and again with that 5-way switch, you have so many options already. I’m certain there are TDPRI players who have done that and could describe it for you. That plus a P90 SG covers a lot of ground. 

Sorry to ramble, but I love this shit. Cheers and happy hunting! Make sure you let us know what you end up with. 
  • Wow!!!

Thank you for the input. My local shop isn't really about helping. Instead its all about making the almighty dollar. Plus, it seems like they are annoyed by a guy who is now just getting into playing the electric. They don't want to give me the time of day to help. Not to mention I asked about a tube amp and they were trying to push a 2500 used one on me. All I wanted was some simple pointers and some guidance to achieve the PJ sound. Needless to say you all have helped me more than anyone. And I really appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Kyle
    Hang in there man. I've run into my share of guitar shop assholes too. It can be frustrating. 

Good advice above about tdpri. Lots of helpful, knowledgeable folks there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy but most of all, remember that this is supposed to be fun.
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    You can't go wrong for Ten tones with a LP
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I have a couple of Jagstangs. I know this is the Pearl Jam site, but I really love those Nirvana guitars, they sound awesome, very trebley.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022