2017 Pearl Jam Complete Vinyl Box Set

Comments

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Hey serious question but was Petty’s box set a mix of old/new/different pressings or were they pressed specially for the box set?

Don’t know how they usually are, but it just occurred to me to ask.  I think I just never know as much about other bands’ vinyl years/reissues/og’s  as I do about PJ vinyl.

Curious because I certainly don’t think this was sold as advertised as a lot of you are saying- I figured these would all be new pressings special for the box.... because I guess I think that whenever there’s a box set they’re going to be new, but I guess that’s just in my mind- and I only just realized that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case.

It’s really hard to explain what’s in your mind... I’ve read some of your posts... seriously hard.  :rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    Hey serious question but was Petty’s box set a mix of old/new/different pressings or were they pressed specially for the box set?

Don’t know how they usually are, but it just occurred to me to ask.  I think I just never know as much about other bands’ vinyl years/reissues/og’s  as I do about PJ vinyl.

Curious because I certainly don’t think this was sold as advertised as a lot of you are saying- I figured these would all be new pressings special for the box.... because I guess I think that whenever there’s a box set they’re going to be new, but I guess that’s just in my mind- and I only just realized that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case.

Tom Petty's was done a bit different, they first issued the box set, then later they released them as individual copies.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    PP193448 said:

It’s really hard to explain what’s in your mind... I’ve read some of your posts... seriously hard.  :rofl:
    Hahaa I’m a sick bastard.  Working as a chef for 20+ years there’s really nothing fucked up I haven’t seen!  Sorry I suppose and you’re welcome I suppose?!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What is insane is no one ever said it was going to be anything other than what you described. Its absolutely insane to complain about getting something you ordered, hoped would be something else, and in the end was what you paid for. 
    I agree.  As a neutral observer.... I expected reactions like this.  It happens most of the time no matter what they do.  Too much, not enough, content not up to expectations, want more, took too long, etc... 
    You could see this coming though, based on the "now tell us what you are going to give us for ordering this" speculation.  IMO, for a lot of people, it was becoming almost accepted that there would be a huge "wow" bonus that would vault this box set into trade, auction, or raffle bait to equal Benaroya vinyl, Cracker Jack, Kong, etc... I would venture to say that most people werent buying this to listen to it.  Most of us own many/most of the studio albums as it is... That is the reason i did not purchase.  I own every studio album, save 2 of the new reissues, which I ordered for like $30 or whatever, as opposed to hundreds of $ for the box set... (I did want the box but didnt realize it was limited and intended on ordering the next day/monday).  
    The product came in and was what was described.... but fell far below expectations of some people.  I get the disappointment... but I don't think outright criticism is warranted.  

I think that,

- Having a fancy COA-letter included
    - Taking such an overprice for what it in the end turned out to be

speaks in favor of the people feeling burned.

And yet the product arrived exactly as advertised no? 

Where is this so called burn?
    Didn't I just explain that?
    No not really, you tried to explain why people are burned but do not at all deal with people getting the thing they paid for and nothing else?

If the burn is based on a warped expectation which is plainly wierd, then yes I suppose you may have explained it

How about if you try to see it from my PoV and tell me what you think I mean, and I can explain or correct you if you're off track.

And, just for the fun of this... situation could you please explain the COA to me? In your words. What is it for?

And, if you like, can you explain the weirdly high margins on these readily available items, other than;

And people did not get what they paid for, on the image it said it was limited to 500 copies. But 600 were made :P 

It's just funny. That COA etc. Haha. And i didn't expect more, but atleast that it would be sealed I guess. Haha. Amazing.
    Ok let me try and unpick that: - 

The COA is a piece of paper that confirms the amount of boxsets being sold. Yes there was a slight mix up on the numbering but as far as we know 500 were sold, 500 boxes that were sold like this and as complete sets were numbered and sold by this store. The COA confirms this, nothing more, nothing less. There are only 500 of them made and sold and issued the COA. There is no point in trying to overthink this, as this is exactly what was advertised and pictured when sold. Whether that makes sense is absolutely irrelevant as people bought exactly that. 

The wierdly high margin? It was a case of what $50 extra for the convenience of the full set and the added COA? I dont see the mark up as an issue that even needs explaining. It was advertised as what it is, and 500 people bought it. What on earth do tenclub have to do here? The math was there for all to see, it didnt take a genius, yet 500 people (including me) saw it as good enough value. I for one do not remotely regret the decision. 

The sealing is just a non point, who really gives a shit when most people want to look inside the box anyway? Not to mention, no where did it say you will receive a sealed box.

How did i do?

Tom Petty's was done a bit different, they first issued the box set, then later they released them as individual copies.

But do you see where I’m going with this? Why the fuck would anyone expect when they buy a box set that it’s a mixture (in age/pressing/etc) of albums?! I know when I got Cake’s they were all pressed together for the set.  
    i know I know I’m fucking crazy, but how the hell can you call this a box set, shouldn’t it have been called “pearl jam studio album collection housed in a collectors box?”

to me a box set is fucking sealed and it’s full of albums that all come out of the factory together, new, for the set.  

Anyway, 10c isn’t guilty of false advertising, but to me they’re guilty of a lack of clarification.  A box set is a box set, this was a collection of Pearl Jam studio albums housed in a collector’s edition box.

I guess im the odd ball though!
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

But do you see where I’m going with this? Why the fuck would anyone expect when they buy a box set that it’s a mixture (in age/pressing/etc) of albums?! I know when I got Cake’s they were all pressed together for the set.  
    i know I know I’m fucking crazy, but how the hell can you call this a box set, shouldn’t it have been called “pearl jam studio album collection housed in a collectors box?”

to me a box set is fucking sealed and it’s full of albums that all come out of the factory together, new, for the set.  

Anyway, 10c isn’t guilty of false advertising, but to me they’re guilty of a lack of clarification.  A box set is a box set, this was a collection of Pearl Jam studio albums housed in a collector’s edition box.

I agree with both assessments... the boxset and oddball.  Just kidding. I enjoy your sarcasm.  Have a great day, dude!!  :rock_on:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2017
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What is insane is no one ever said it was going to be anything other than what you described. Its absolutely insane to complain about getting something you ordered, hoped would be something else, and in the end was what you paid for. 
    I agree.  As a neutral observer.... I expected reactions like this.  It happens most of the time no matter what they do.  Too much, not enough, content not up to expectations, want more, took too long, etc... 
    You could see this coming though, based on the "now tell us what you are going to give us for ordering this" speculation.  IMO, for a lot of people, it was becoming almost accepted that there would be a huge "wow" bonus that would vault this box set into trade, auction, or raffle bait to equal Benaroya vinyl, Cracker Jack, Kong, etc... I would venture to say that most people werent buying this to listen to it.  Most of us own many/most of the studio albums as it is... That is the reason i did not purchase.  I own every studio album, save 2 of the new reissues, which I ordered for like $30 or whatever, as opposed to hundreds of $ for the box set... (I did want the box but didnt realize it was limited and intended on ordering the next day/monday).  
    The product came in and was what was described.... but fell far below expectations of some people.  I get the disappointment... but I don't think outright criticism is warranted.  

I think that,

No not really, you tried to explain why people are burned but do not at all deal with people getting the thing they paid for and nothing else?

If the burn is based on a warped expectation which is plainly wierd, then yes I suppose you may have explained it

How about if you try to see it from my PoV and tell me what you think I mean, and I can explain or correct you if you're off track.

And, just for the fun of this... situation could you please explain the COA to me? In your words. What is it for?

And, if you like, can you explain the weirdly high margins on these readily available items, other than;

And people did not get what they paid for, on the image it said it was limited to 500 copies. But 600 were made :P 

It's just funny. That COA etc. Haha. And i didn't expect more, but atleast that it would be sealed I guess. Haha. Amazing.

The COA is a piece of paper that confirms the amount of boxsets being sold. Yes there was a slight mix up on the numbering but as far as we know 500 were sold, 500 boxes that were sold like this and as complete sets were numbered and sold by this store. The COA confirms this, nothing more, nothing less. There are only 500 of them made and sold and issued the COA. There is no point in trying to overthink this, as this is exactly what was advertised and pictured when sold. Whether that makes sense is absolutely irrelevant as people bought exactly that. 

The wierdly high margin? It was a case of what $50 extra for the convenience of the full set and the added COA? I dont see the mark up as an issue that even needs explaining. It was advertised as what it is, and 500 people bought it. What on earth do tenclub have to do here? The math was there for all to see, it didnt take a genius, yet 500 people (including me) saw it as good enough value. I for one do not remotely regret the decision. 

The sealing is just a non point, who really gives a shit when most people want to look inside the box anyway? Not to mention, no where did it say you will receive a sealed box.

How did i do?
    You did good. But doesn't pearl Jam auction of box sets on their ebay and pop-up shops etc, so those 500 box sets stated in the picture will movie closet and closer to being 600 out in the market.

But anyways,

By your absolute view of all this "you got what was described" where expectations do not have a part, then you think this is okey too?

The guy got what he paid for. No where did it state the size of the carpet. Haha.

I don't think you can take away a certain amount of expectations from the equation. And a COA and a non-discount price fuels expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwTPZ0axv04

And I do think printing a COA just for the fact people put in off-the-shelves records in a box (being sold separately) and selling it for more than the items separately cost is kind of..a farce and a slap to the face of the International Organization for Upholding Quality of COAs.

And you describing the COA, made me think of like.. signing a contract with your mom to clean your room for a year to get a Nintendo. It's just silly.

(But everything can't be Gene Simmons Vauklt with included stage-worn socks from the 70s :) )

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

If this was released a year ago, or a year from now I probably would have thought that.
    But that thought never even crossed my mind. The fact it was released the same day as the other 4 reissues I immediately assumed it was those 4 reissues, plus other 6 they had remaining since they are still available. Never occurred to me that they would be pressed specially for this set.
    I guess if that is what you were expecting you could be disappointed, but if that was the case I also think they would have made it more clear.
  • mace1229 said:

If this was released a year ago, or a year from now I probably would have thought that.
    But that thought never even crossed my mind. The fact it was released the same day as the other 4 reissues I immediately assumed it was those 4 reissues, plus other 6 they had remaining since they are still available. Never occurred to me that they would be pressed specially for this set.
    I guess if that is what you were expecting you could be disappointed, but if that was the case I also think they would have made it more clear.
    Every other box set I've received was like what you are saying, they get made specifically for the box set, not gathered up pressings from five years ago and another set of records just pressed.

But hey, whatever.  I got one and am keeping it.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

But there was no reason to believe this would ever be a collectors item. 
    Wasn't there a COA letter accompanying this Limited Edition item?

Not that I personally care. 

Now Im off work. Weeeeeeeee.
    Yes. But what did a CAO guarantee? Other than this vinyl was put together by 10c and not the ones available on Amazon. Absolutely nothing. And if they all weren't readily available, you wouldn't even have needed the COA.
    The point is, now that everyone is getting exactly what was advertised, some are not happy. Which is sort of funny to me. Was it the increased cost of the bundle that made so many assume there was something more to it? Seeing how it really has about a $250 retail value when bought separately made everyone assume the extra $100 and COA was for the secret signatures?
    There is nothing about these boxes that wasn't advertised. Even with the numbering mishap, they still only sold 500.
    Seems like a big case of buyers remorse to some. Probably wishing they sold it 3 weeks ago for $1500.

Why wouldn't people assume that those $100 dollars would be something else than "higher margins for the band, just because they can"?

Name another case where something has been sold wholesale and have had a higher price than market value for the separate items, or where a COA-letter has been included simply because of someone putting items into a box that were available for everyone to buy? 

Wheres the precedent? 

Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, being late afternoon and all. Or maybe I want to think more of the world than everyone being Gene Simmons. 

But.

- Whats limited about this box?
    - They put records into the box instead of you doing it for the limited time it took to put them in exactly 600. Then they stopped. And it cost more than it would to buy the items one by one. 

I get people feeling burned out, like I said above.

And I want pearl Jam to be more than, "Please go visit kissonline.com" 
    There hasn't been, that's why I wouldn't have even paid $200 for this.
    But no where did they advertise anything additional other than the COA. Ad thats what you got.
    doctorvik said his albums have ringwear on them. Okay, I would complain about that. I wouldnt complain they weren;t sealed, but I would about ringwear. 
    Apprently the box itself is what is limited. The empty ones sold out almost as fast.
    Exactly.  I saw what was being offered.  Out of my price range for the product, and passed.
    mace1229 said:

I hear you.  All I’m saying at the end of the day is the same gripe we all have on this board- more communication is necessary.   This was sold specifically to unload vinyl that is sitting around the warehouse and most certainly should never had had a COA and should never have been called a box set.

the number issue- who gives a shit.
    sealed or unsealed?- the box should have been sealed, no question.  You don’t sell a box set unsealed, unless it’s already been used. sorry, that’s just the way it works. Shit, if there’s even a tear in shrink wrap vinyl collectors/dealers let you know about it.  They say “new, with a tear” or whatever.  There’s no excuse here.
    COA- completely unnecessary, used in order to sell them because they never would have sold otherwise.
    bix set- this isn’t a box set, plain and simple. It’s a collection of studio albums housed in a collectors box.
    All in all- I didn’t buy it but I can’t let the pj fanboy club on the board here attack those that bought it because they’re unhappy.  There’s definitely A LOT of reasons for people to be unhappy about this based on what was expected.
  • cjzolycjzoly Posts: 508
    Wholly shit...All this hate and discontent regarding this box, yet no one has offered theirs up to me...C'mon with it...You hate it...Let me buy it...
    I'm a Thief, I'm a Liar, There's my Church, I sing in the Choir...Hallelujah...
  • BigrfishBigrfish Edmonton, AB Canada Posts: 260
    I feel for the folks who bought this box set...Amazon.ca has VS for $19.26 - No Code for $23.69 - Ten was $22.30 if pre ordered.
    S/T, Riot Act and Binaural are $31 apiece. Cdn dolla... $158.25Cdn so far...I paid $24.99 for Vitology - $26.10 for Yield - $23.00 for Backspacer and $30.00 for LB. That equals(including shipping and tax) - $262.34Cdn or $205.78 US...for the same stuff minus the fancy letter and box. I would be a bit annoyed as well.
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    edited November 2017
    cjzoly said:
    Wholly shit...All this hate and discontent regarding this box, yet no one has offered theirs up to me...C'mon with it...You hate it...Let me buy it...
    I'll build ya one dude..**Box and Coa may not appear as originals** LP's will be sealed.

Post edited by Bigrfish on
    cjzoly said:
    It's even better than that. People bitching about it that didn't buy it and don't want one lol
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    cjzoly said:

SOMEBODY hook my homie up!!

he's good people. he hooked me up with some nice vinyl in the past.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited November 2017

And they were all nicely redone by Chris Bellman..Beauty Box sets.
    Post edited by Bigrfish on

pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:

I think that,

How did i do?
    You did good. But doesn't pearl Jam auction of box sets on their ebay and pop-up shops etc, so those 500 box sets stated in the picture will movie closet and closer to being 600 out in the market.

But anyways,

By your absolute view of all this "you got what was described" where expectations do not have a part, then you think this is okey too?

The guy got what he paid for. No where did it state the size of the carpet. Haha.

I don't think you can take away a certain amount of expectations from the equation. And a COA and a non-discount price fuels expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwTPZ0axv04

And I do think printing a COA just for the fact people put in off-the-shelves records in a box (being sold separately) and selling it for more than the items separately cost is kind of..a farce and a slap to the face of the International Organization for Upholding Quality of COAs.

And you describing the COA, made me think of like.. signing a contract with your mom to clean your room for a year to get a Nintendo. It's just silly.

(But everything can't be Gene Simmons Vauklt with included stage-worn socks from the 70s :) )

Oh oh come on ... the rug point is plainly stupid. If anyone buys a rug without checking it's size first then they deserve all they get. I mean would you buy a TV for $200 without knowing the size and be disappointed to get a 20 inch screen and not a 50 inch? I find that whole concept a nonsense 

the COA is exactly what it said it would be. What did anyone actually think this would be if it wasn't as I explained or described? Seriously ? I sense that you feel the COA was ridiculous but really dude your opinion isn't really important when asking what it was. The COA was included exactly as photographed and exactly as expected. I just don't understand why you have an issue with this? It's not the first time a bit of paper is in a box like this. 

Can i ask, did you buy one of these? And are disappointed by what you got ? Or are you taking issue with a product you didn't buy and have no reason to react to ? I'm intrigued 
  • edoconedocon Posts: 300
    Bigrfish said:
    I feel for the folks who bought this box set...Amazon.ca has VS for $19.26 - No Code for $23.69 - Ten was $22.30 if pre ordered.
    S/T, Riot Act and Binaural are $31 apiece. Cdn dolla... $158.25Cdn so far...I paid $24.99 for Vitology - $26.10 for Yield - $23.00 for Backspacer and $30.00 for LB. That equals(including shipping and tax) - $262.34Cdn or $205.78 US...for the same stuff minus the fancy letter and box. I would be a bit annoyed as well.
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    The empty box is selling for hundreds and you can't get "the fancy letter" without having purchased the entire box set. So what's there to feel bad for?
    Oh and I have no idea what on earth the Nintendo comparison was all about but whatever 
    Bigrfish said:
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    Bigrfish said:
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    I find this wierd. I've read one guy who felt disappointed. 

Yet you feel the need to feel annoyed and bad for the people who are on the whole delighted and pretty pleased with the product they bought ...

thats got to be a waste of your energy 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I paid around a good chunk of change to complete my collection in 2012. I would have gladly waited to have a crack at this much less expensive all in one offer.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    derbydave said:

18"

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• cjzoly said:
    I tagged you and @MedozK

We will see if it works out.
    edocon said:
    Bigrfish said:
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    The empty box is selling for hundreds and you can't get "the fancy letter" without having purchased the entire box set. So what's there to feel bad for?
    I feel bad for fans being duped. PJ might as well have just sold more boxes to put LP's in. As for the COA...I guess if you are only interested in the monetary value for resale then it may be of importance. I just don't see true PJ collectors placing much value in this box, although I'm sure it will fetch a few dollars for someone on Ebay.
    I just wish they would do it right.
    pdalowsky said:
    Bigrfish said:
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    Bigrfish said:
    I feel bad now.
    Cheers
    I find this wierd. I've read one guy who felt disappointed. 

Yet you feel the need to feel annoyed and bad for the people who are on the whole delighted and pretty pleased with the product they bought ...

thats got to be a waste of your energy 
    You haven't read enough and, or, you may be missing my point, which has been made by others as well. All of these vinyl re issues are or will be available at a much lower cost than this box set. I am not trying to take anything away from the folks who purchased the box set. I was only pointing out that you could have all of the same music on vinyl as well for less.
    I paid around a good chunk of change to complete my collection in 2012. I would have gladly waited to have a crack at this much less expensive all in one offer.
    I can totally understand that.. I have tried to be patient...we will see if it pays off with these re issues. Original CD's may not be as bad as I thought..
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    Haha, I suppose that is a good point. I paid more than what the boxset cost for only two Pearl Jam album, and they really were used. :lol: (not that I regret it - totally worth not waiting all that time, especially since the reissues don't sound nearly as good, from what I've heard myself and read from others).

Well... I didn't buy a boxset because I knew it seemed like a rip off when they went up for sale, plus I already had all the albums. I figured everyone who purchased one knew what they were (over)paying for. But I must admit, after reading everyone's arguments in this discussion, I think I agree that the way 10C chose to do this boxset is well below the general expectations of most fans who collect vinyl. I think having some of the albums sealed and some not is quite the hack job, and I also think that the boxsets should have been sealed, you know, like every other brand new consumer item in the world. I don't think details like that should have to actually be stated in the item description for people to expect them. To me they seem like obvious givens. So I don't blame people for being a bit annoyed by the lack of care on these, especially considering the price compared to if someone put it together themselves.
    I also think it's plain old strange to sell a boxset that is put together the way this one was. I gather 10C members expect more when it comes to such an item. I mean really, the entire catalogue boxset for Pearl Jam should be the crown jewel of everyone's collection. It should be special. It should be produced as a boxset, to separate it from the individual reissues. If people are going to be disappointed by something, I figure it should really be that Pearl Jam didn't care enough to make it a really awesome, special thing for fans to cherish - a thing to truly showcase and celebrate the band's amazing catalogue with a unique and significant item, and numbered properly (i.e. stamped), and filled with records that are of the best audio quality. I think people are right to expect such an item to be released with a LOT more love .... and made available to a lot more people..... Maybe someday they will do something like that. I hope so. Of course, that would further highlight what this current boxset really is in relation to the usual standards set by other bands: shoddy. Sorry 10C and everyone who is happy about it. It's just the truth. I am genuinely happy for anyone who is happy about their boxset. But I see no reason for those who aren't to not express themselves. I am puzzled by those who seem pissed off that people are expressing their discontent or their dashed hopes. As paying customers, they should be free to do that without being insulted. Paul, just as people expressing their discontent is a head scratcher for you, your being confounded by that is a head scratcher for me. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    pdalowsky said:
    Whats even worse and even more confounding is that people come here to moan moan moan, whinge whinge whinge, criticize, criticize, criticize, and be continually and constantly underwhelmed and disappointed and yet always come back for more

a real head scratcher. 

yep
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22