THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

For the 100th episode, Nicotero wanted to bring callbacks from the show's premiere episode, "Days Gone Bye". The scene of Rick and Carl at the gas station was an attempt to recreate shot-for-shot the first scene of the series, though with Carl in Rick's shoes for this episode.[1] This included the secret casting of Addy Miller, the young girl walker Rick encountered in "Days Gone Bye" but now a teenager, performing as a walker in a similar outfit. Miller's role in the scene was shot separately from Lincoln's, and she had been kept away from Lincoln during the filming, as the production crew were afraid of Lincoln spoiling this should he recognize her.[2] The "flashforward" scenes were also filmed to mirror Rick waking up from his coma in "Days Gone Bye".[1] Nicotero brought back Joe Giles, one of the actors that played a walker that followed Rick off a bus in Atlanta as one of walkers used by a Savior watchtower for this episode.[1] Other Easter eggs include Carl using the orange backpack that he, Rick, and Michonne collected from a dead hitchhiker from the season three episode "Clear", and Negan starting a conversation with Rick using the line "Let me ask you somethin', Rick.", which Shane had frequently used in the first two seasons of the show.[1]

The scene where the combined groups have gathered and making final preparations for the attack uses a directorial style which Nicotero called their Goodfellas' moment, where the camera pans through several small groups and picks up various conversations throughout as well as providing some visual storytelling elements. Nicotero wanted this scene to make the audience feel part of the group while also conveying a lot of information at the same time.[1]

The episode's "flashforward" to an older Rick uses the song "Another One Rides the Bus", by Weird Al Yankovic. Gimple wanted a song during these scenes that was jarring for the audience and that would be something that Rick's daughter Judith would be into but would be distinctive, partially inspired by a toddler that was in Gimple's life that was obsessed with the song. He didn't want a "cool" song for these scenes, and felt that with Yankovic's music, "that there’s no worry about cool", making the song a perfect fit.[3]

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• For the 100th episode, Nicotero wanted to bring callbacks from the show's premiere episode, "Days Gone Bye". The scene of Rick and Carl at the gas station was an attempt to recreate shot-for-shot the first scene of the series, though with Carl in Rick's shoes for this episode.[1] This included the secret casting of Addy Miller, the young girl walker Rick encountered in "Days Gone Bye" but now a teenager, performing as a walker in a similar outfit. Miller's role in the scene was shot separately from Lincoln's, and she had been kept away from Lincoln during the filming, as the production crew were afraid of Lincoln spoiling this should he recognize her.[2] The "flashforward" scenes were also filmed to mirror Rick waking up from his coma in "Days Gone Bye".[1] Nicotero brought back Joe Giles, one of the actors that played a walker that followed Rick off a bus in Atlanta as one of walkers used by a Savior watchtower for this episode.[1] Other Easter eggs include Carl using the orange backpack that he, Rick, and Michonne collected from a dead hitchhiker from the season three episode "Clear", and Negan starting a conversation with Rick using the line "Let me ask you somethin', Rick.", which Shane had frequently used in the first two seasons of the show.[1]

The scene where the combined groups have gathered and making final preparations for the attack uses a directorial style which Nicotero called their Goodfellas' moment, where the camera pans through several small groups and picks up various conversations throughout as well as providing some visual storytelling elements. Nicotero wanted this scene to make the audience feel part of the group while also conveying a lot of information at the same time.[1]

The episode's "flashforward" to an older Rick uses the song "Another One Rides the Bus", by Weird Al Yankovic. Gimple wanted a song during these scenes that was jarring for the audience and that would be something that Rick's daughter Judith would be into but would be distinctive, partially inspired by a toddler that was in Gimple's life that was obsessed with the song. He didn't want a "cool" song for these scenes, and felt that with Yankovic's music, "that there’s no worry about cool", making the song a perfect fit.[3]

They put forth all this effort into the episode and came up with a steamy pile...

Sometimes you can try too hard.

Maybe their peers in the "industry" thought this was all great and they all probably think Sofia Coppola is a good director too...
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Terrible episode!  I thought Maggie was pregnant?
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • For the 100th episode, Nicotero wanted to bring callbacks from the show's premiere episode, "Days Gone Bye". The scene of Rick and Carl at the gas station was an attempt to recreate shot-for-shot the first scene of the series, though with Carl in Rick's shoes for this episode.[1] This included the secret casting of Addy Miller, the young girl walker Rick encountered in "Days Gone Bye" but now a teenager, performing as a walker in a similar outfit. Miller's role in the scene was shot separately from Lincoln's, and she had been kept away from Lincoln during the filming, as the production crew were afraid of Lincoln spoiling this should he recognize her.[2] The "flashforward" scenes were also filmed to mirror Rick waking up from his coma in "Days Gone Bye".[1] Nicotero brought back Joe Giles, one of the actors that played a walker that followed Rick off a bus in Atlanta as one of walkers used by a Savior watchtower for this episode.[1] Other Easter eggs include Carl using the orange backpack that he, Rick, and Michonne collected from a dead hitchhiker from the season three episode "Clear", and Negan starting a conversation with Rick using the line "Let me ask you somethin', Rick.", which Shane had frequently used in the first two seasons of the show.[1]

They put forth all this effort into the episode and came up with a steamy pile...

Maybe their peers in the "industry" thought this was all great and they all probably think Sofia Coppola is a good director too...
    There's more going on behind the scenes than you realize, my friend.  There is an old myth that any story ever written proves to be a documentary of sorts in its own right, somewhere, someplace, or at sometime in the world....hence these characters are telling a story loosely based off true events.....somewhere in time.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

For the 100th episode, Nicotero wanted to bring callbacks from the show's premiere episode, "Days Gone Bye". The scene of Rick and Carl at the gas station was an attempt to recreate shot-for-shot the first scene of the series, though with Carl in Rick's shoes for this episode.[1] This included the secret casting of Addy Miller, the young girl walker Rick encountered in "Days Gone Bye" but now a teenager, performing as a walker in a similar outfit. Miller's role in the scene was shot separately from Lincoln's, and she had been kept away from Lincoln during the filming, as the production crew were afraid of Lincoln spoiling this should he recognize her.[2] The "flashforward" scenes were also filmed to mirror Rick waking up from his coma in "Days Gone Bye".[1] Nicotero brought back Joe Giles, one of the actors that played a walker that followed Rick off a bus in Atlanta as one of walkers used by a Savior watchtower for this episode.[1] Other Easter eggs include Carl using the orange backpack that he, Rick, and Michonne collected from a dead hitchhiker from the season three episode "Clear", and Negan starting a conversation with Rick using the line "Let me ask you somethin', Rick.", which Shane had frequently used in the first two seasons of the show.[1]

I watched about the first 15 minutes of S1E1 while killing some time the day before this season started. I noticed that gas station scene was very similar to the season 1 opener. I wouldnt have noticed it had I not watched it.
    But what were they afraid he would spoil? That they re-used a walker girl from 8 years ago? Doesn't really give away anything.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    edited October 2017

There's more going on behind the scenes than you realize, my friend.  There is an old myth that any story ever written proves to be a documentary of sorts in its own right, somewhere, someplace, or at sometime in the world....hence these characters are telling a story loosely based off true events.....somewhere in time.

Post edited by Indifference71 on

They are obviously a fan of Sofia Coppola...
  • Okay, so I think Sherry is a weak spot (Achilles heel) for Negan.   I said last season when she left that I hope she ended up a zombie, but I now see how useful she could be in taking down Negan.   The actor who plays Dwight even said that his hate for Negan and love of his wife makes a powerful potion, on Talking Dead, against Negan.   I'm thinking that Rick's group is going to encounter her somehow, or she'll go to them and get in the plan to take down rockstar Negan.   Its just a theory anyway, lol.   Anyone else think this could happen?
  • Okay, so I think Sherry is a weak spot (Achilles heel) for Negan.   I said last season when she left that I hope she ended up a zombie, but I now see how useful she could be in taking down Negan.   The actor who plays Dwight even said that his hate for Negan and love of his wife makes a powerful potion, on Talking Dead, against Negan.   I'm thinking that Rick's group is going to encounter her somehow, or she'll go to them and get in the plan to take down rockstar Negan.   Its just a theory anyway, lol.   Anyone else think this could happen?
    I don't know though sometimes.  Maybe Negan is the result of some nasty, conniving witch bitches who fucked up his world.   Maybe that is what leads someone like him to a life of evil.   There are two sides to every story.  Maybe if him and Rick could just have a sit down discussion over some beers?  Sure there's not a lot of trust there, but peace should always be the goal.   A lot of people on here already established that Rick killed a lot of his people in their sleep, and Negan killed many of theirs, so its like an eye for an eye and all should be failr and forgiven now, right?   In a perfect world.  Any thoughts on this?   I don't know why I care so much about such a silly show.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Okay, so I think Sherry is a weak spot (Achilles heel) for Negan.   I said last season when she left that I hope she ended up a zombie, but I now see how useful she could be in taking down Negan.   The actor who plays Dwight even said that his hate for Negan and love of his wife makes a powerful potion, on Talking Dead, against Negan.   I'm thinking that Rick's group is going to encounter her somehow, or she'll go to them and get in the plan to take down rockstar Negan.   Its just a theory anyway, lol.   Anyone else think this could happen?
    I don't know though sometimes.  Maybe Negan is the result of some nasty, conniving witch bitches who fucked up his world.   Maybe that is what leads someone like him to a life of evil.   There are two sides to every story.  Maybe if him and Rick could just have a sit down discussion over some beers?  Sure there's not a lot of trust there, but peace should always be the goal.   A lot of people on here already established that Rick killed a lot of his people in their sleep, and Negan killed many of theirs, so its like an eye for an eye and all should be failr and forgiven now, right?   In a perfect world.  Any thoughts on this?   I don't know why I care so much about such a silly show.
    Negan punishes his own people by branding their face with a hot iron.  He subjugates several young women to be his "wives."  He killed the only doctor by burning him alive.   He makes the other groups his subjects and makes them provide him with food and other supplies.  There is no comparing him to Rick.  Negan is evil.  Rick is not.  It doesn't matter what made Negan that way.  He is sadistic and mean.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    felt like i was watching a video game tonight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Very little dialogue.  Unless bang, bang, bang, boom, etc. is considered dialogue. 

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited October 2017

Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • felt like i was watching a video game tonight.
    Very little dialogue.  Unless bang, bang, bang, boom, etc. is considered dialogue. 

Please don't discount that very touching speech that Ezekiel did, lol. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited October 2017
    I’m trying to find a strength in this show. 

A crummy story, with no likeable characters, that’s executed poorly on all fronts.

Hell, they even tried to make Rosa average looking.
    Post edited by DewieCox on

I won't discount that.  :)    Smile!     Also, there was Tara's and Jesus' disagreement over execution v. taking prisoners.
    DewieCox said:

A crummy story, with no likeable characters, that’s executed poorly on all fronts.

Yup. I just want it to end at this point, probably as badly as the characters would if there was a real zombie apocalypse. 
    Last we left off there was a shortage of guns and bullets, and there's there's an unlimited supply of both. With little need to ever reload. 
    And what's up with Morgan not being able to get killed, and they taken out a few dozen people by himself with only a pistol when the others had machine guns.
    It's beyond cheesy and just plain bad at this point.
    Why can't I stop watching?
  • felt like i was watching a video game tonight.

I won't discount that.  :)    Smile!     Also, there was Tara's and Jesus' disagreement over execution v. taking prisoners.
    That too made me want to puke...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

Fairly, that discussion would likely come up, but it’s like they decided to go with placeholder lines. 

Id like to go on Talking Dead and just bring up the elephant in the room. Hardwick and the guests can’t be that into these episodes. And the show related guests were painful when the show was better. As it’s slipped off a cliff over the last couple seasons they just sound like self important douche bags
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Somehow each new episode manages to out-crap the previous one.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:

Yup. I just want it to end at this point, probably as badly as the characters would if there was a real zombie apocalypse. 
    Last we left off there was a shortage of guns and bullets, and there's there's an unlimited supply of both. With little need to ever reload. 
    And what's up with Morgan not being able to get killed, and they taken out a few dozen people by himself with only a pistol when the others had machine guns.
    It's beyond cheesy and just plain bad at this point.
    Why can't I stop watching?
    I left the last half season on my DVR and this season I took it off record. 
    Just too much other stuff out there that is good.  Need to leave time to read and watch sports, as well.
    List of shows I watched rather than TWD in the time (9 months+?) since I stopped watching:

1. Re-watched The Wire complete series
    2. Ozark
    3. Tin Star
    4. Big Mouth
    5. Mindhunter
    6. The Defenders
    7. Hand of God S2
    8. Handmaids Tale
    9. Harlots
    10. Glow
    11. Red Oaks S3
    12. Bosch S2,S3
    13. Goliath
    14. Stranger Things (watching S2 now)

Were all of them better?  Not sure, since I didnt see TWD episodes, but at least I didnt go into each episode already being bored.

Most of those I dl'd onto my tablet and watched while traveling or at the same time as sports, etc...this doesn't take into consideration the things I watch with my wife where we both bypass TWD episodes on the DVR.
    (A hodge podge of network and HBO shit)

TWD jumped the shark a while back for me.  Sounds like many agree.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I think I'm finally done with this show.  Haven't watched the episode from Sunday yet and I have zero urge to watch it.  I watched some trash reality show with my wife last night instead....that's how little I want to watch this show at this point.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Ι'm starting to get tired with this..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    was a HUGE fan of this show. last season put the nail in it for me though. haven't watched this season. don't find I'm missing it either. i'll watch it next year when it shows up on netflix.....maybe. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

They have to realize there are literally zero positive comments about this show at this point when it used to be one of the biggest and best shows on TV. And either get better writing and a decent story line or just end it before it gets [more] embarrassing.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    So...yeah....
    This show is terrible anymore.  I was with some friends on Sunday who are fans and at the end of the show we all look at eachother and said "what the fuck was that?!"
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to go down with the ship, but man this is getting tough to watch.  
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Somehow each new episode manages to out-crap the previous one.
    Hahahahaha!  Right?
    Maybe (probably) I have no ability as a tv critic but I still love the show.  And yes, I see the deficiencies but I still look forward to sitting down on Sunday evening and watching the show.  

Maybe (probably) I have no ability as a tv critic but I still love the show.  And yes, I see the deficiencies but I still look forward to sitting down on Sunday evening and watching the show.  

if I had cable I'd probably still be watching. But to not have cable and shell out $70 per season to watch it on iTunes....wasn't worth it anymore. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

if I had cable I'd probably still be watching. But to not have cable and shell out $70 per season to watch it on iTunes....wasn't worth it anymore. 
    I wouldn't do that either.  I got interested in the middle of the 2nd season.  I bought used DVD's off Ebay for Season 1 - back before we had DVR & On Demand.    Didn't NetFlix used to have it the day after it aired on AMC?