Shipping Insanity - I Paid 3x Retail to Ship LPT Vinyl to Toronto

MP188882MP188882 Posts: 43
edited September 2017 in The Porch
Let me start by saying I love this band. I also really love the little touches they leave for Ten Club members. It's often thankless work. So to Santos and the whole team - thanks for everything you do. 

But let me also say, as many others have, that UPS Mail Innovations totally gouged me and I suspect other 10C members in Canada. 

I acknowledge I pay a premium to buy direct from PJ.com and there's often good incentive. In this case I paid $33 for the LPT Vinyl and an almost equal amount to ship the package to Canada. The total ends up being about $60 USD, which then converts to $80 CDN. 



That's a lot of money but the Amazon site would charge me $60 CDN. So fine. I hate saying this, but a 30% surcharge is something I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford. I'll deal with it. 

But then yesterday, I had to pay ANOTHER $30.50 brokerage fee from UPS and spend time fencing with them to leave the package on my doorstep. 

In total, I ended up paying $110 for a double vinyl set from my favourite band. More than half of which went to shipping. 

Please stop the insanity. 
MP
8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario

Comments

  • This is the first I've heard of international shipping problems.
  • ZodZod Posts: 6,220
    edited September 2017
    Did you choose UPS Standard?  Don't do that.

    UPS is notorious for gouging on brokerage fees (the amount they charge to figure out how much tax you owe).    The regular method (mail innovations) hands off the item to the Unitied States Postal Service so it goes through regular customs/clearing which is understaffed and lets most packages slide through without being charged.  UPS Standard is UPS handling delivery start to finish, so they handle getting the item cleared through customs and they make you pay dearly for it :(

    As soon as I saw 10c put UPS Standard as a 2nd shipping option I knew it was going to be trouble :(  You're better off choosing the other one even if it is more expensive :(  When I ordered it I chose mail innovations even though it's slower and was $3 more.

    I wish 10c would ditch UPS all together.  USPS is better.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • This is the first I've heard of international shipping problems.
    You win the Internet today.
  • Zod said:
    Did you choose UPS Standard?  Don't do that.

    UPS is notorious for gouging on brokerage fees (the amount they charge to figure out how much tax you owe).    The regular method (mail innovations) hands off the item to the Unitied States Postal Service so it goes through regular customs/clearing which is understaffed and lets most packages slide through without being charged.  UPS Standard is UPS handling delivery start to finish, so they handle getting the item cleared through customs and they make you pay dearly for it :(

    As soon as I saw 10c put UPS Standard as a 2nd shipping option I knew it was going to be trouble :(  You're better off choosing the other one even if it is more expensive :(  When I ordered it I chose mail innovations even though it's slower and was $3 more.

    I wish 10c would ditch UPS all together.  USPS is better.

    ^ This is really helpful. Thank you. Will remember for next time. It's just a little frustrating because I don't see a business reason why it would make sense for 10C to let a third party layer on ridiculous surcharges that triple the price of their units. 

    The only rationale I would think is simple ease of logistics. UPS must be a one-stop shipping solution that suits 10C's worldwide shipping needs without affecting their unit margins. They presumably know their business and don't believe UPS affects their volume of international sales. Or perhaps there is no other international shipper that comes in lower, but I seriously doubt it.

    Anyway. I'm sure I'll love the album. Apologies for repeating a tired topic. 
    MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,118
    USPS has always been better....
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ONPosts: 7,851
    MP188882 said:
    Let me start by saying I love this band. I also really love the little touches they leave for Ten Club members. It's often thankless work. So to Santos and the whole team - thanks for everything you do. 

    But let me also say, as many others have, that UPS Mail Innovations totally gouged me and I suspect other 10C members in Canada. 

    I acknowledge I pay a premium to buy direct from PJ.com and there's often good incentive. In this case I paid $33 for the LPT Vinyl and an almost equal amount to ship the package to Canada. The total ends up being about $60 USD, which then converts to $80 CDN. 



    That's a lot of money but the Amazon site would charge me $60 CDN. So fine. I hate saying this, but a 30% surcharge is something I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford. I'll deal with it. 

    But then yesterday, I had to pay ANOTHER $30.50 brokerage fee from UPS and spend time fencing with them to leave the package on my doorstep. 

    In total, I ended up paying $110 for a double vinyl set from my favourite band. More than half of which went to shipping. 

    Please stop the insanity. 
    If I were you, I'd just vote with your wallet. When I placed my order with Amazon Canada, it cost me $48.80 (including free shipping and HST) CDN. Because of Amazon's Pre-Order Guarantee, the price went down by roughly $7.00, and all in cost me $40.67 CDN, and I have tracking information from FedEx (showing me that it's been shipped, and will be at me by Wednesday). 

    I'm glad that Pearl Jam produces products I still want to buy, but when possible, Amazon is the way to go. Rest assured, Pearl Jam are still profiting off of my purchase, otherwise they wouldn't bother listing on Amazon :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

    EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ZodZod Posts: 6,220
    MP188882 said:

    ^ This is really helpful. Thank you. Will remember for next time. It's just a little frustrating because I don't see a business reason why it would make sense for 10C to let a third party layer on ridiculous surcharges that triple the price of their units. 

    The only rationale I would think is simple ease of logistics. UPS must be a one-stop shipping solution that suits 10C's worldwide shipping needs without affecting their unit margins. They presumably know their business and don't believe UPS affects their volume of international sales. Or perhaps there is no other international shipper that comes in lower, but I seriously doubt it.

    Anyway. I'm sure I'll love the album. Apologies for repeating a tired topic. 
    No problem. I've been buying stuff off the internet since someone decided to sell stuff off the internet.  I learned the UPS issue the hard way (Which was the same was as you) a long time ago.

    I actually ran into it again last week.  Often records are cheaper on Amazon.uk than in Canada, so I've been ordered records from the UK site for a number of years now.  I got two records in the mail last week and instead of royal mail (the regular uk postal service) they came ups and I got dinged :(   Some genius in another forum taught me how to setup flex delivery which forces my packages to go to directly to a post office, which means amazon uk can't use ups  (Forces them to send it royal mail.. lol).

    I think the reason more and more international companies use ups is because ups undercuts on price.  I don't think retailers (like the 10c) realize how seedy UPS is with charging less for shipping but then gouging for brokerage.  As Bubbles would say, its greasy!
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 2,875
    Zod said:
    MP188882 said:

    ^ This is really helpful. Thank you. Will remember for next time. It's just a little frustrating because I don't see a business reason why it would make sense for 10C to let a third party layer on ridiculous surcharges that triple the price of their units. 

    The only rationale I would think is simple ease of logistics. UPS must be a one-stop shipping solution that suits 10C's worldwide shipping needs without affecting their unit margins. They presumably know their business and don't believe UPS affects their volume of international sales. Or perhaps there is no other international shipper that comes in lower, but I seriously doubt it.

    Anyway. I'm sure I'll love the album. Apologies for repeating a tired topic. 
    No problem. I've been buying stuff off the internet since someone decided to sell stuff off the internet.  I learned the UPS issue the hard way (Which was the same was as you) a long time ago.

    I actually ran into it again last week.  Often records are cheaper on Amazon.uk than in Canada, so I've been ordered records from the UK site for a number of years now.  I got two records in the mail last week and instead of royal mail (the regular uk postal service) they came ups and I got dinged :(   Some genius in another forum taught me how to setup flex delivery which forces my packages to go to directly to a post office, which means amazon uk can't use ups  (Forces them to send it royal mail.. lol).

    I think the reason more and more international companies use ups is because ups undercuts on price.  I don't think retailers (like the 10c) realize how seedy UPS is with charging less for shipping but then gouging for brokerage.  As Bubbles would say, its greasy!
    I just self clear anything not sent via usps
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • jrock60jrock60 Posts: 76
    I used to buy everything from the PJ store until shipping became absolutely insane to Canada.  Now I only purchase exclusive offers at PJ.com and everything else from Amazon.  This is what I paid in Canada from Amazon with shipping:
    Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:
    CDN$ 35.99
    Shipping & Handling:
    CDN$ 4.94
    FREE Shipping:
    -CDN$ 4.94
    Total before tax:
    CDN$ 35.99
    Estimated GST/HST:
    CDN$ 1.80
    Estimated PST/RST/QST:
    CDN$ 3.59
    Grand Total:
    CDN$ 41.38
    I'll ride the wave...
  • demetriosdemetrios canadaPosts: 57,099
    jrock60 said:
    I used to buy everything from the PJ store until shipping became absolutely insane to Canada.  Now I only purchase exclusive offers at PJ.com and everything else from Amazon.  This is what I paid in Canada from Amazon with shipping:
    Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:
    CDN$ 35.99
    Shipping & Handling:
    CDN$ 4.94
    FREE Shipping:
    -CDN$ 4.94
    Total before tax:
    CDN$ 35.99
    Estimated GST/HST:
    CDN$ 1.80
    Estimated PST/RST/QST:
    CDN$ 3.59
    Grand Total:
    CDN$ 41.38
    Whoa! 1 cent cheaper then mine!


  • ZodZod Posts: 6,220
    Horse2345 said:

    I just self clear anything not sent via usps
    That's something I don't know much about (or how to do).   Not sure how feasible it is for me as I live on an Island and I think items cross the border before they get here :(
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 2,875
    Zod said:
    Horse2345 said:

    I just self clear anything not sent via usps
    That's something I don't know much about (or how to do).   Not sure how feasible it is for me as I live on an Island and I think items cross the border before they get here :(
    Lol i live on the same island! I just go to the cbsa office in the Atrium building.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • MP188882 said:
    Let me start by saying I love this band. I also really love the little touches they leave for Ten Club members. It's often thankless work. So to Santos and the whole team - thanks for everything you do. 

    But let me also say, as many others have, that UPS Mail Innovations totally gouged me and I suspect other 10C members in Canada. 

    I acknowledge I pay a premium to buy direct from PJ.com and there's often good incentive. In this case I paid $33 for the LPT Vinyl and an almost equal amount to ship the package to Canada. The total ends up being about $60 USD, which then converts to $80 CDN. 



    That's a lot of money but the Amazon site would charge me $60 CDN. So fine. I hate saying this, but a 30% surcharge is something I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford. I'll deal with it. 

    But then yesterday, I had to pay ANOTHER $30.50 brokerage fee from UPS and spend time fencing with them to leave the package on my doorstep. 

    In total, I ended up paying $110 for a double vinyl set from my favourite band. More than half of which went to shipping. 

    Please stop the insanity. 
     Not sure what "little touches" I'll be missing but I just ordered binaural, riot act, self titled, yield and let's play two all on vinyl for 150.00 cdn shipped to my door from amazon. Unless it's only offered here I see no reason for international people to order from 10c...
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TXPosts: 4,916
    Only if you want to pay $38 for a slipmat/sticker and care about the soft touch varnish 10c lp2 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • ZodZod Posts: 6,220
    Horse2345 said:
    Zod said:
    Horse2345 said:

    I just self clear anything not sent via usps
    That's something I don't know much about (or how to do).   Not sure how feasible it is for me as I live on an Island and I think items cross the border before they get here :(
    Lol i live on the same island! I just go to the cbsa office in the Atrium building.
    That's awesome! :)  How does that work?  At what point to you intercept the package from UPS so you can clear it yourself?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 3,939
    my theory is 10c has a set contract with UPS and they have to wait for it to expire to switch services. They have to know the shipping charges for international stuff is untenable. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 514
    Same here. I've sadly stopped buying anything on PJ.com. With shipping the prices are just insane. It's not worth it. 

    jrock60 said:
    I used to buy everything from the PJ store until shipping became absolutely insane to Canada.  Now I only purchase exclusive offers at PJ.com and everything else from Amazon.  This is what I paid in Canada from Amazon with shipping:
    Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:
    CDN$ 35.99
    Shipping & Handling:
    CDN$ 4.94
    FREE Shipping:
    -CDN$ 4.94
    Total before tax:
    CDN$ 35.99
    Estimated GST/HST:
    CDN$ 1.80
    Estimated PST/RST/QST:
    CDN$ 3.59
    Grand Total:
    CDN$ 41.38

  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 2,875
    Zod said:
    Horse2345 said:
    Zod said:
    Horse2345 said:

    I just self clear anything not sent via usps
    That's something I don't know much about (or how to do).   Not sure how feasible it is for me as I live on an Island and I think items cross the border before they get here :(
    Lol i live on the same island! I just go to the cbsa office in the Atrium building.
    That's awesome! :)  How does that work?  At what point to you intercept the package from UPS so you can clear it yourself?
    All you actually need is a copy of your receipt, ive used screenshots printed out, and tracking number. You can actually do it as soon as you have those. The carriers prefer that you call them before the clear it but its a hassle as they want you to fax them a copy and it can delay delivery.  Its not actually necessary you can wait till they attempt delivery and ask for copy of weigh bill and tell them you're going to clear it but they can get a bit pissy. What ive done is taken the receipt and tracking number down and gotten the form and given it to the carrier when they deliver. But of course they tried to send me a bill weeks later so i just called and told them i already cleared it.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • no codeno code Posts: 72
    I love buying from Ten Club. But the shipping to Europe is, also, way to expensive. We don't even have a choice regarding shipping. Not to mention the tax we have to pay when stuff arrives overseas.

    If Ten Club managed to do something about those shipping costs, they would sell a whole lot more merch.
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
Sign In or Register to comment.