2023 CHICAGO BEARS

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I can't imagine this helps Glennon's confidence. Gotta feel like Bradford did last year. Get paid, think your'e the man, and then BOOM! Reality check.
    Glennon is probably praying that a potential playoff team has their starting QB's knee literally explode and they panic and make a trade with the Bears
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

mca47 said:

So dumb.
    So many holes to fill and they throw draft picks away on a guy they could have gotten if they traded down.

I hate how much they gave up. But if this works out, no one will be talking about draft picks in a few years. This is make or break for Pace.
    And Fox. From what I've heard, Fox had no idea what Pace was up to.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    A division 2 tight end?!?!? How about a corner or a safety??? Pace is either going to look like a genius or a complete moron in a couple years after this draft.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I need to bookmark this thread.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    On paper, this is an absurd draft by the Bears. Only ended up with 5 picks total and drafted only 1 guy on defense. Took a guy with 13 career starts at QB, a division 2 TE, a safety from Bama with a history of injuries, a 5 foot 6 inch RB from NC A&T and a offensive tackle from a school that I have literally never heard of (Kutztown??? Is that a real college???). I know you shouldn't judge a draft for a couple years, but it's really hard to feel good about this one right now.

On paper, this is an absurd draft by the Bears. Only ended up with 5 picks total and drafted only 1 guy on defense. Took a guy with 13 career starts at QB, a division 2 TE, a safety from Bama with a history of injuries, a 5 foot 6 inch RB from NC A&T and a offensive tackle from a school that I have literally never heard of (Kutztown??? Is that a real college???). I know you shouldn't judge a draft for a couple years, but it's really hard to feel good about this one right now.

Every pick IMO was a reach/hope and a prayer. Pace probably figured he's only got a couple seasons left and picking the "best available" won't make this team a playoff contender for the foreseeable future. Rather than building the team up by strengthening the foundation, he's hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. If these guys miraculously work out and say this team does contend for a playoff spot...Pace will be seen as a genius around the league and he's guaranteed a job for a long, long time. If not, he's likely getting canned anyways.

‘I’m Just Here To Win Football Games,’ Says 22-Year-Old Draft Pick Who Will Get Everyone Fired

CHICAGO—Saying that he is solely focused on becoming the best quarterback possible, a 22-year-old first-round draft pick who will get most of the franchise leadership fired told reporters Monday that he is “just here to win football games.” “Making it to the NFL has always been my dream, and I’m really excited to go out there and have some fun playing the sport I love,” said the second overall pick, whose poor on-field performance and lack of noticeable improvement over the next three years will lead to the terminations of his head coach, offensive coordinator, head scout, GM, and 70 percent of the front office staff before he himself is released the following season. “I just want to show what I’m made of and leave it all out there for the team. I’m ready to prove myself and help take us to the next level.” The draft pick also added he was excited to deliver a championship to the fans that will one day burn his jersey in effigy. 
    http://www.theonion.com/article/im-just-here-win-football-games-says-22-year-old-d-56014
  • Trubisky for president.
    Great start for Glennon!  

Trubisky did look pretty good....can't wait for the QB controversy to start!
    Great start for Glennon!  

Trubisky did look pretty good....can't wait for the QB controversy to start!
    Glennon looked like he had never taken a NFL snap in his life.  Trub looked good, but let's not forget it was against the 3rd string and their D was playing man in coverage the whole time.  That said, he's got a live, accurate arm and seems to handle pressure well.  I love his accuracy while on the run.
    Sanchez looked like Sanchez.

The first string D looked solid.  Floyd could have a killer season if he stays healthy.  That dude is quick!

But yeah, Trub's success during that first game was great for the fans, but was probably the worst thing Fox could have imagined.  
    Glad the Bears are back, but obviously not expecting much.  Schedule is absolutely brutal to start the season with Falcons, @ Bucs, Steelers and @ Packers.  Very good chance of 0-4 there.  The WRs are going to be so bad.....that group was already looking rough before Meredith went down.  Defense should be improved and keep them in some games.

Definitely expect Trubisky to be starting towards the end of the season.  Unlike the assholes in the media and the meatheads who call into sports radio, I really like that they aren't rushing him and starting him right away.  Especially with that early season schedule.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Agreed.  Frankly, I'd rather see Trubisky sit the entire year.  No reason to throw him in there too early and set him up for failure.  Let the kid learn the NFL game and start him when he's ready. 
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Glennon was named a captian.  He will play the entire year baring injury.  I also would like to see Trubisky sit the entire year.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    The Bears stand no chance this season.  I'd rather they go 2-14 than have their promising, young QB get completely shell shocked or physically injured in his first season.
    Problem there is ol' Foxy's contract is up after this year.  If the Bears start the season 1-5 or worse....which likely will be...there is ZERO chance he's sticking with Glennon.  Whatever success Trubisky has in the second half, Fox will use as a selling point to the owners and the fans.  He'll spin it as "that was the plan from the beginning" and claim the "team is moving in the right direction" and those successes were the result of him.
    It's a total selfish move, but one he will play. 
    That was a lot closer than I thought it would be.  The defense played really well....Hicks is a beast!  That front 7 is going to keep them in some games this year.  Glennon was OK....didn't seem like they wanted him throwing downfield much until the very end when they needed to score.  Hard to blame them with that crew of WRs....my god they are terrible.  And now White is out for the year...again!  Unbelievable.  5 games in 3 years for this guy.
    Yeah, that defense really played well and kept them in that game!  That front 7 is going to give some teams some problems...assuming they stay healthy.  When or if McPhee gets healthy, that's just another piece to that group.  I think the corners played solid, keeping one of the best WRs in the game in check.  Safeties....not so much.  Demps is terrible.  Jackson seems to be in the right spots, but he had some issues bringing guys down.
    The offense, considering they have no real playmakers at receiver did better than I expected. Glennon was his usual serviceable self and he had a chance to win the damn thing!  Ugh!  Can't believe Howard dropped that ball...
    Our backfield may be the best tandem in football right now.  Cohen reminds me of Hester back in the day.  You know at any moment he's capable of something big!  With the issues at WR, I expect him and Howard will have to step up their game receiving wise.
    The o-line looked good too, despite a few dumb penalties and not having Long playing.
    Are we actually seeing Pace's plan coming together?  This team will lose, and lose a lot this year, but from what I saw yesterday, it looks like they have some serious pieces in place.
    Also, I kind of feel bad for White.  The dude can't catch a break.
    Well, except for his bones....

LOL

But yeah, that sucks.

Tanner Gentry time?!?!
    Gentry called up.  Apparently he said he was let go and put on the practice squad because he needed to work on his route running.
    mca47 said:
    Gentry called up.  Apparently he said he was let go and put on the practice squad because he needed to work on his route running.

Love it.  Still don't get why he didn't make the team out of camp considering everyone said he was clearly the best WR in all of camp.

Heading to Tampa for the game this weekend for a bachelor party.  Going to be nice and hot down there.
    Well, that was a fn disaster!!
    mca47 said:

What an embarrassment.  That was the worst Bears game I've ever seen in person....what a joke.  Glennon fucking sucks...plain and simple.  2 awful picks and a fumble yesterday.  I know they don't want to rush Trubisky, but they won't have a choice pretty soon here.  
  • mca47 said:

What an embarrassment.  That was the worst Bears game I've ever seen in person....what a joke.  Glennon fucking sucks...plain and simple.  2 awful picks and a fumble yesterday.  I know they don't want to rush Trubisky, but they won't have a choice pretty soon here.  
    Playing Trubisky would be the exact idiotic thing this team would do.  Trade up for a pick you could have had regardless and then get him destroyed his rookie year.  
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mca47 said:

Playing Trubisky would be the exact idiotic thing this team would do.  Trade up for a pick you could have had regardless and then get him destroyed his rookie year.  
    A pick for a QB with very minimal college experience. And no good numbers against good competition and inflated stats against poor competition. 

Plus they could have admittedly tanked this year and gotten one of the 4 or so really good QB's in the draft in 2018. Then they could have built up the O-Line a little bit more prior to having the city push for a new QB thrown to the wolves.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    mca47 said:

So they should play Glennon the whole season????  It's clear that he is trash and not part of the long term plan so I don't see the harm in playing Trubisky at some point this season.  The more snaps he gets, the better.
  • mca47 said:

So they should play Glennon the whole season????  It's clear that he is trash and not part of the long term plan so I don't see the harm in playing Trubisky at some point this season.  The more snaps he gets, the better.
    No line to block for him, no receivers to catch for him. Glennon is here to get his head smashed in.  He is part of the current long term plan of a few years. Better him than the roookie you're betting the farm on.  But this is the Bears we're talking about.  I expect him to play in the second half this weekend after the Steelers D knocks glennon out of the game.  Trubisky with about a 3 year career.....
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mca47 said:

No line to block for him, no receivers to catch for him. Glennon is here to get his head smashed in.  He is part of the current long term plan of a few years. Better him than the roookie you're betting the farm on.  But this is the Bears we're talking about.  I expect him to play in the second half this weekend after the Steelers D knocks glennon out of the game.  Trubisky with about a 3 year career.....
    They paid a lot to have a guy get his head smashed in. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mca47 said:

They paid a lot to have a guy get his head smashed in. 
    It's the NFL.  No big deal.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    LOL, yeah -- you are right about that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved