The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• pjhawks said:

Love seeing the article where all the Nova people including Jay said how shitty the Pavilion is now that they are going to refurbish it. nova people defended that dump for years. only arena i ever sat in and had a seat where i could only see about 5 rows of the student section. whoever signed off on that roof configuration should never be allowed to design anything ever again.

now less than two weeks to selection Sunday. can't recall a season where there is no real favorite to win it all going into the tournament. i think there are about 20 teams that could win it this year.

Yeah there are several teams in the AP Top Ten with 5 and 6 losses.
    I'm through with screaming
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The Dupont has always has been a weird looking building but they didn't have much choice due the location when they built it. The roof is the way it is because Radnor would not permit anything higher. And I don't recall Nova people defending it for years....unless you're talking about the 1980's or early 90's or something. Most of the talk I have always heard is complaints against Radnor Township for all the restrictions and not permitting them to expand it much bigger than it already is.

Look at all they went through just to get the new Lancaster Ave expansion approved. Took years to get this through, despite how much sense it makes for all involved, and now they're complaining about a couple crosses on the bridge. It's a Catholic university--what did they expect?!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

The Dupont has always has been a weird looking building but they didn't have much choice due the location when they built it. The roof is the way it is because Radnor would not permit anything higher. And I don't recall Nova people defending it for years....unless you're talking about the 1980's or early 90's or something. Most of the talk I have always heard is complaints against Radnor Township for all the restrictions and not permitting them to expand it much bigger than it already is.

Look at all they went through just to get the new Lancaster Ave expansion approved. Took years to get this through, despite how much sense it makes for all involved, and now they're complaining about a couple crosses on the bridge. It's a Catholic university--what did they expect?!

those people in Radnor, as the people in Lower Merion did with St. Joe's, are just pricks who want to fight everything. Only a real prick would have fought a pedestrian bridge over Lancaster Avenue yet they did. I'll never understand people like that.

YOU
    GOTTA
    HAVE
    HART
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Weird feeling to not even sweat being the number 1 overall seed last night.

GO CATS
    chinese-happy.jpg

GO CATS

who ever sweats being the overall #1 seed?

i think gonna be a wild tournament. a lot of the smaller leagues the best teams won their tournaments. could be a ton of upsets early although I still think the regular 7 or 8 will have end being the teams at the end. still not sure who i am going with. lots of possibilities.
    pjhawks said:

GO CATS

i think gonna be a wild tournament. a lot of the smaller leagues the best teams won their tournaments. could be a ton of upsets early although I still think the regular 7 or 8 will have end being the teams at the end. still not sure who i am going with. lots of possibilities.
    Knowing your team will absolutely be the number one overall seed heading into selection Sunday is something you've never experienced.

Neither have, I until yesterday. Weird, but fantastic feeling.
    chinese-happy.jpg

pjhawks said:

GO CATS

Knowing your team will absolutely be the number one overall seed heading into selection Sunday is something you've never experienced.

for the defending national champions and overall #1 seed i actually thought they were discussed very little in the parts I saw last night on CBS and some of the after shows on CBS College Sports and ESPN. Not a terrible draw for them. The 8-9 could be a bit tough but I think Baylor is not a great 3 and Florida I think loses in round 1.
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

GO CATS

for the defending national champions and overall #1 seed i actually thought they were discussed very little in the parts I saw last night on CBS and some of the after shows on CBS College Sports and ESPN. Not a terrible draw for them. The 8-9 could be a bit tough but I think Baylor is not a great 3 and Florida I think loses in round 1.
    I think Wisconsin could be tough and Duke as the 2 in their region? That's more geographical than proper seeding in my opinion.....however a Duke/Nova regional final in the garden would be insane
    chinese-happy.jpg

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

GO CATS

I think Wisconsin could be tough and Duke as the 2 in their region? That's more geographical than proper seeding in my opinion.....however a Duke/Nova regional final in the garden would be insane
    agree on both counts. Wiscy will keep the score low so probably would be a close game. I actually really like the VA Tech team too. I think they are bit underrated and could give Nova a game. Duke-Nova at the Garden the crowd would be insane.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

GO CATS

agree on both counts. Wiscy will keep the score low so probably would be a close game. I actually really like the VA Tech team too. I think they are bit underrated and could give Nova a game. Duke-Nova at the Garden the crowd would be insane.
    that would be awesome, Go Cats!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Jay is so grounded, especially for a coach at that level. He handled the bad times as well as the good times. I was very impressed that he never backed down or got upset as people questioned their NCAA losses before last year. He has been able to own both the good and bad without changing at least his public persona. very impressive.

now as a nova hater I just need the Sixers to hire him so maybe they won't be as good there.
    Just an early wake up call for YOUR national champs.

Jenkins is gonna have 20 on Saturday
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That sucked! :anguished:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited March 2017
    Lucky run last year.

Beat it

How many 2nd round exits now?

Lucky run last year.

Beat it

How many 2nd round exits now?

3 out of 4. 2nd most losses in 1st weekend as #1 or #2 seed in modern era. Only Kansas has more. that being said i'm sure most programs would take one title and lose in the 2nd round 3 out of the other 4 years.
    has anyone checked in on The Juggler yet?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

I have been hiding out in Mexico for last week.

That really sucked....but, yeah, winning the whole thing last year took quite a bit of the sting off it and they'll be right back in the mix next year.

NCAA really screwed them over with Spellman not being eligible. Tough to go far with one big man.

GO CATS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

I have been hiding out in Mexico for last week.

That really sucked....but, yeah, winning the whole thing last year took quite a bit of the sting off it and they'll be right back in the mix next year.

NCAA really screwed them over with Spellman not being eligible. Tough to go far with one big man.

GO CATS.
    Yeah, i didn't understand why Spellman was not eligible(for re-classifying 2 months into his Frosh year in HS). I, but not as much i use too, follow HS Hoops , and know of plenty of kids who have reclassified well into their HS years.

Boothe getting hurt didn't help either. OBVIOUSLY. Will he be able to get a medical Red Shirt?
    RIP ROLLIE
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RIP ROLLIE
    just heard :frowning:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    RIP ROLLIE
    ^^This, right here^^

Rollie was a show back when the Big east was a BEAST of a conference. The Best conference in the Country back in it's heyday.
    cutz said:
    RIP ROLLIE
    ^^This, right here^^

Rollie was a show back when the Big east was a BEAST of a conference. The Best conference in the Country back in it's heyday.
    Wish I was old enough to able to remember the Rollie glory days. My earliest memories of his teams were when Greg Woodard was draining 3's like nobody's business.....riiiiiight after the glory days
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:
    RIP ROLLIE
    ^^This, right here^^

Wish I was old enough to able to remember the Rollie glory days. My earliest memories of his teams were when Greg Woodard was draining 3's like nobody's business.....riiiiiight after the glory days
    even though I disliked the man I would never take any solace in a man's death. Sad day for Nova.  RIP Rollie.

on a side note Juggler of all the nova guys Greg Woodard was one of the few guys there (ok few good players since i luved the shitty players) I ever enjoyed watching.  he had a sweet lefty stroke.

Cutz - those early Big East years that coincided with ESPN taking off were unbelievable.  So many great teams, players, games and characters.  
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:
    RIP ROLLIE
    ^^This, right here^^

even though I disliked the man I would never take any solace in a man's death. Sad day for Nova.  RIP Rollie.

on a side note Juggler of all the nova guys Greg Woodard was one of the few guys there (ok few good players since i luved the shitty players) I ever enjoyed watching.  he had a sweet lefty stroke.

Cutz - those early Big East years that coincided with ESPN taking off were unbelievable.  So many great teams, players, games and characters.  
    You got that right Pjhawks. How about these coaches: Rollie, Louie Carneseca, Jim Boheim, John Thompson, PJ Carleismo , Jim Calhoun, Rick Pitino(Got Providence to a Final 4!), Gary Williams(Only at Boston College for 3 years, but , if my memory is right, he almost got that 1985 team to the Final 4. I just looked it up and BC lost to Memphis State in the Regional Semis by 2 points)

The games, with those great players were GREAT and were borderline bloodbaths. 
    So Omari Spellman looks like the real deal.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I was asking a friend(who's a HS scout) of mine who saw him play in High School, and he told me he would've helped Nova out a lot last year , if he didn't have to sit out. And, that's actually what he said: "Real Deal."
    cutz said:
    I was asking a friend(who's a HS scout) of mine who saw him play in High School, and he told me he would've helped Nova out a lot last year , if he didn't have to sit out. And, that's actually what he said: "Real Deal."
    Yeeeup.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    nova/st. joe's in a few days.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA