What do you think it means?...

pearljamfan11pearljamfan11 Posts: 50
assuming that in Corduroy, Ed sings "spilled my tincture", what do you think he means? Interested in what you guys thought.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Like most pj songs this could mean a lot of things. Im not sure myself but one things for sure he is probably using them lines as a metaphore. read between the lines man.
    Fuck me if i say somthing you dont want to hear,
    Fuck me if you only hear whats in your head.
    Fuck me if you can, coz im not leaving here.
  • To JesterTGame's point their songs take a lot of shapes, Alive is probably the greatest example of that. I think Corduroy has a couple meanings in my opinion. It's about a desperate single sided inequitable relationship that created ambivalence, resentment and anger. And that realization that EV found and outlet. The jacket is a myth.
    B Fow
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    My thoughts on that metaphor are
    Rated r and kids are reading so I'm
    Gonna have to lie

I always thought he said spilled my t shirt
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianflow, interesting take - accurate too about the relationship comment.

"Corduroy" also means forming / laying down a road; perhaps that ties into "I'll take the firmest path"?  Taking his entrance back, creating it himself if possible.

I believe this was written during a time where fans elevated Ed to a demi-god status with with he wasn't comfortable, which felt invasive.  Maybe the tincture line is related to people knocking over his drink in their frenzy to get to him.

I don't know.  I love how lyrics can be interpreted so differently.