The Pizza Thread

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Wobbie said:
    my favorite pizza in my old home town, worthington, ohio. I love the nearly burnt pepperoni. I have been known to eat there twice a day when I visit.

Where is that, Rob?  Next time I'm in Columbus I'm gonna have to head up the Olentangy and try it out.

a place called villa nova....high street on the south edge of worthington. great food!

F'me....squares, not strips....makes it easy to say "maybe just one more piece." :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    my favorite pizza in my old home town, worthington, ohio. I love the nearly burnt pepperoni. I have been known to eat there twice a day when I visit.

Where is that, Rob?  Next time I'm in Columbus I'm gonna have to head up the Olentangy and try it out.

a place called villa nova....high street on the south edge of worthington. great food!

F'me....squares, not strips....makes it easy to say "maybe just one more piece." :smiley:
    $12.50 for a large.  Affordable!
    Looked through the Yelp and the pepp does look delicious time after time.

The Hawaiian is a crime against fucking pizza humanity however.  (Every version of that pizza is, ugggh.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I love a good hawaiian pizza, although it's much better with pepperoni or chorizo or cappicolla. Sweet/salty/spicy, yuuummmmmm.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love a good hawaiian pizza, although it's much better with pepperoni or chorizo or cappicolla. Sweet/salty/spicy, yuuummmmmm.

That is a sandwich, not a pizza.  :lol:

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

Pineapple and pepperoni pizza is a sandwich? I'm don't think I'm understanding you, lol. People put pineapple on sandwiches?

My go-to pizza place puts sesame seeds on its crust. It is a surprisingly delicious yet subtle addition.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Pineapple and pepperoni pizza is a sandwich? I'm don't think I'm understanding you, lol. People put pineapple on sandwiches?

My go-to pizza place puts sesame seeds on its crust. It is a surprisingly delicious yet subtle addition.
    Better on sammiches than on Za!
    :)

One of my buddies used to insist on 1/2 a pizza being Hawaiian when we ordered pies as a group. (This meant he could get 1/2 a pizza every time since nobody else would eat that stuff.)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sesame seeds are acceptable on the crust.  

Hawaiian pizza however is a travesty...  I'm a firm believer that somewhere someone had a pizza that was so shitty they had to try out new toppings to try and make it palatable.

Low and behold!!

"What do you call this crap?"

"I call it Hawaiian pizza!  Does it taste good?"

"Anything is better than the shit you called pizza before this!!!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2017
    Pineapple on pizza is a tragedy and should be illegal. 

Putting pineapple on pizza is Ike putting ketchup on pasta. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul, when I lived in Victoria Zombies Pizza was my go to place.  Is that still kicking? I can't find a pic of the pizza.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

$12.50 for a large.  Affordable!
    Looked through the Yelp and the pepp does look delicious time after time.

The Hawaiian is a crime against fucking pizza humanity however.  (Every version of that pizza is, ugggh.)

That doesn't even resemble pizza.  Way too many toppings.  I m guessing their sauce sucks. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Hedo, you ever have pizza from Mulberry Street in Beverly Hills?  That was my favorite when we lived in LA.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Great thread!!!
    #FHP
    I hear lou malnati's is good.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ha!  We covered Lou's in that other thread.  Most liked it, it seems.
    Lou's deep dish could replace exlax.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:

It's like putting ketchup on a hot dog. 
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It's like putting ketchup on a hot dog. 

or mayo on a burger.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

Joseph's pizza in Glendale Heights (suburb of Chicago).  Amazing. Perfect amount of dough. Sausage with hot giardinera...perfection!

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hedo, you ever have pizza from Mulberry Street in Beverly Hills?  That was my favorite when we lived in LA.
    Oh hell yeah, F Me.  We used to go there regularly when my dad was alive.  Sprinkle on some garlic powder, chili flakes if so inclined, same for parm.  Fold in half and dig the fuck in!

Owned (partially) by this wonderwoman - reminds me of Jessica Lange in ways.

Fucking gorgeous and tough as balls.

The pizza is much better eaten there vs. delivery, but during our winters - and I use the term loosely - their lasagna, minestrone and garlic bread are the perfect warming comfort food.
    For sure on delivery vs in house.  Never had anything other than pizza there but it is legit.
    Growing up in VT, the pizza was shit unless you made it yourself.  (My parents were both from NYC so I learned at an early age what real pizza was)

That being the case, I would go through the frozen pizzas to find what I liked.

My favorite?
    The frozen chef boyardee old school pepperoni pizza.  Cardboard crust?  Shitty little chunks of pepperoni.
    I loved it.

These days I actually would choose the pepperoni digiorno.  Make sure to leave it in until the pepperoni starts to burn a little.

If you have to go Frozen....what do you prefer?
    delivery? di giorno!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Good pie is at the place of making.  There is a place about two miles away that I like because it is hot.  Cold pizza?  Only when drunk or the morning after.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I am at times fond of Totino's pizza rolls or Mama Celeste's "deluxe for one"

(:no_mouth: or I'll take ya down)
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Great thread, love my pizza! There was a little place I use to go to in Kitchener when I was a teenager called Chubby's Pizza, best pizza I have ever had. Still remember the place and its been over 20 Yeats ago I was last there. They use to load it up with bacon and their sauce was out of this world. I wish they were still around
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Growing up in VT, the pizza was shit unless you made it yourself.  (My parents were both from NYC so I learned at an early age what real pizza was)

My favorite?
    The frozen chef boyardee old school pepperoni pizza.  Cardboard crust?  Shitty little chunks of pepperoni.
    I loved it.

These days I actually would choose the pepperoni digiorno.  Make sure to leave it in until the pepperoni starts to burn a little.

If I had to go frozen, I find the Dr. Oetker Thin Crust pizza to be the best out there
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Mama Celeste I remember

Dr oetker?  Have to look for that!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I'm a bit of a pizza snob and always prefer certified neapolitan style over all others.
    Such as my local pizza place....Pizzeria Locale in Boulder....

My favorite?
    I loved it.

Frozen Pizza should NOT be part of this conversation!

Also if they cut your pizza in squares, unless it's a square pie, then you shouldn't be a part of the conversation also.  It's called a "pizza Pie" not a pizza grid...

If you like your pizza with chicken and ranch as toppings please start another thread...

I'm going full on snob on this thread, lol!!!
    I'm a bit of a pizza snob and always prefer certified neapolitan style over all others.
    Such as my local pizza place....Pizzeria Locale in Boulder....

This looks good even for Colorado!

My favorite?
    I loved it.

Frozen Pizza should NOT be part of this conversation!

Also if they cut your pizza in squares, unless it's a square pie, then you shouldn't be a part of the conversation also.  It's called a "pizza Pie" not a pizza grid...

If you like your pizza with chicken and ranch as toppings please start another thread...

I'm going full on snob on this thread, lol!!!
    Ha!
    There is a time and a place for frozen pizza, my friend. 

Neapolitan is the bomb.

Gonna try Silverton & Batali's place Mozza in LA one of these trips out there.