espn, you suck

Comments

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Wobbie said:

mel kiper, jr. :lol:

He is on strictly to give shitty analysis and to be made fun of? I'd say he's comic relief but draft day is hilarious in and of itself :rofl:
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368

JK_Livin said:

Any sports fan that watches this channel for anything other than live sports and the 30 for 30's I find odd.

I do enjoy PTI and Around the Horn... As long as Pablo isn't on them...
    Around the Horn is a painful thing to watch. I despise the whole setup of the show.

Mike and Mike is good.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • JK_Livin said:

Any sports fan that watches this channel for anything other than live sports and the 30 for 30's I find odd.

Around the Horn is a painful thing to watch. I despise the whole setup of the show.

Mike and Mike is good.
    If you can get past whiny Mike Greenberg.
    I'm through with screaming
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Wobbie said:

JK_Livin said:

me, too......but pablo s. torre is awesome.

the other day, ATH had someone from harvard, yale, cornell........and cowlishaw.
    You've said this before. Please explain.

I see him is a person that gathers a whole bunch of information that he constructs into a thesis that sounds absolutely convincing and he wants you to think he understands the game when he in fact has no clue.

He is an analytical hack...

I had some Haterade with my eggs this morning...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

JK_Livin said:

Mike and Mike is good.
    Mike and Mike is awful. Their whole shtick of Greeny being the whiny little geek and Golic being the big meathead is so played out. Whenever they have a big guest on, all they do is lob softball questions at them. So bad.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383

JK_Livin said:

Mike and Mike is good.
    Mike and Mike is awful. Their whole shtick of Greeny being the whiny little geek and Golic being the big meathead is so played out. Whenever they have a big guest on, all they do is lob softball questions at them. So bad.
    It's arguably the most contrived and scripted sports talk show out there, and that's saying something.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

DewieCox said:

I keep seeing people talk about how great the live sports on ESPN are the best and so much better than other channels, but I don't understand what the hell theyre talking about. I have to wonder what low rate half assed sports channels they're watching. Their broadcasts have the same type of douche personalities and other bullshit that bogs down their other programming. Granted, other channels have some dumbasses, but virtually entire crews blow ass with one bright spot and other channels the tolerable/douche ratio is opposite.

Agreed. Unless Sean McDonough is calling a game, their live sports presentations are no better (often a lot worse) than anyone else.
    I turn down the volume. From my perspective they are a must because they carry some live sports I want to watch. Their broadcaster's are as bad as most. Volume down is almost always needed.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    So what IS everyone watching? I should follow Bill Simmons more. He's great.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited April 2017

I typically turn to whatever network I am interested in. This time of year.... It is typically Indians games on Sports Time Ohio, or watch the MLB Network. I watch NHL playoffs, mostly on NBCSports and often linger for their studio stuff.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

I generally just watch games these days. I don't need any of this studio pregame and postgame bullshit. I get plenty of news and reactions on twitter.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Phillies games
    Hockey playoffs
    Billions on Showtime

and that's pretty much it. once the weather gets nice like it is now tv is mostly sports and local news.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

NHL on NHL/NBC Sports
    MLB on MLB/FS1/Regional
    Stuff on Netflix/Amazon
    Stuff on DVR backed up
    Live TV? American Gods this week. S'about it besides sports.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

MLB.tv
    Youtube videos
    Better Call Saul
    Basketball & hockey playoffs when I'm at the bar (since I don't have cable)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

I remember a time when sports center was nothing more than a highlights show. Those were the days. Now its a bunch of bozos talking and fake yelling at each other to stir up some stupid controversy that will net them higher ratings. Why do people like that stuff?

And it's not just espn. Fs1 obviously hired that dope skip bayless and I think they cancelled their highlights show all together, if I'm not mistaken.

Even the local comcast sports net is now doing mostly talk/yelling shows instead of highlights. Their highlight show isn't even a half hour anymore. The trimmed from an hour to half hour to now just 15 fucking minutes. It's so weird tuning in at around 10 past the hour and it's already almost over.

I don't understand it either. It's like the Kardashians & Honey Boo Boo have infected the sports world.
    ...and the oval office.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited April 2017

I .

Wobbie said:

JK_Livin said:

me, too......but pablo s. torre is awesome.

the other day, ATH had someone from harvard, yale, cornell........and cowlishaw.
    you love espn!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited April 2017
    espn is the nfl and vice versa. roger goodell network.

it's bad. very very bad. I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but I do like seeing espn go down the toilet (further than they already have)

worst part is that none of these other networks have been able to step up and report sports better. I love MLB Network, but other than that it's amateur hour.

One of these days someone will figure it out. ESPN is terrible though
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I haven't really watched ESPN daily since Olbermann and Patrick
    I miss igotid88

• So what IS everyone watching? I should follow Bill Simmons more. He's great.

I generally just watch games these days. I don't need any of this studio pregame and postgame bullshit. I get plenty of news and reactions on twitter.
    Same. Sometimes I even just follow the games on twitter.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    I watched a lot of the NHL network when I was playing fantasy hockey. They're not bad, but I haven't watched much in recent years.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    igotid88 said:

dan patrick has always sucked.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

And that arrogant , who thinks he shit doesn't stink, Keith Oberman, was worse.

That's when i stopped watching SC.
    cutz said:

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

You stopped watching SC in 1990? That's commitment!
    I always loved Craig Kilborn. He always cracked me up.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited May 2017
    Olberman and Patrick might be shmucks now and even then, but they were gold on SC. The next batch of dudes were great too...Van Pelt, Mayne and the like
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited May 2017
    Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, Kenny Mayne, Craig Kilborn, Stuart Scott (can I get a Boo Yah!), Charley Steiner, Robin Roberts, Rich Eisen, & Linda Cohn were all great SC anchors.
    I liked Dan and Keith before they got so caught up in themselves.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380

(can I get a Boo Yah!),

god, I hope not :wink:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Dan Patrick, Keith Olbermann, Kenny Mayne, Craig Kilborn, Stuart Scott (can I get a Boo Yah!), Charley Steiner, Robin Roberts, Rich Eisen, & Linda Cohn were all great SC anchors.

Don't forget Tom Mees and Bob Ley...I agree with Fme on Dan and Keith. Back in the 90's before Keith got overly political, they put on a really solid show.

I remember the main Sports Center night was the late Sunday edition. And it was all highlights except for the "Sunday Conversation..." which was always well done. None of the nonsense filler that passes for that show nowadays.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    DewieCox said:

Olberman and Patrick might be shmucks now and even then, but they were gold on SC. The next batch of dudes were great too...Van Pelt, Mayne and the like

GOLD, Jerry.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

cutz said:

Wobbie said:

igotid88 said:

You stopped watching SC in 1990? That's commitment!
    When ESPN News(when it use to give you a 30 minute version of SC, without the schtick of just about everyone mentioned above) came out , i would catch up from ther.

Give me old-school guys like Bob Ley, Greg Gumbel, Gerorge Grande. Those guys are/were Pros, and so was John Saunders.

I didn't mind Dan Patrick at first, but his act grew old fast. I couldn't take Oberman from the get-go.

Sports Center turned into Tabloid sports reporting