The terrorist attacks we don't care about

Comments

• Timothy mcveigh bombed an abortion clinic?

Timothy was not religiously motivated.

This discussion originally began a while back with some defending Islam- claiming Christianity was (in not so many words) just as bad.

McVeigh was an extremist right wing government conspiracy nut job and does qualify as a homegrown white terrorist.

Point taken, however, I'd like to ask is that all you got and how long ago was that? When McVeigh did his deed... I'm pretty sure nobody was pointing fingers at brown people trying to minimize his atrocity.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at in your last sentence, but there were a ton of people pointing fingers at brown people in the immediate aftermath of the OK bombing.
    http://fair.org/extra/the-oklahoma-city-bombing/

Here's a hypothetical....
    Christianity vs Islam....which religion do you think would spawn more extremists/terrorists if the Islamic countries became democratic, first-world, sovereign states, while propping up brutal dictators in Europe and North America?

I was simply pointing out that people can own their actions without some pointing to others in what's typically perceived as a deflection tactic.

Hypotheticals might be perceived as a deflection tactic as well. Whether you care to agree or not, your hypothetical scenario seems to suggest that Islamic extremists are victims and somewhat justified (if you're getting at what I think you're getting at).

If this thread has shown us anything, Islamic extremists haven't targeted Europe and North America as much as they have targeted other Muslims sharing the same or similar conditions as them. I could get behind your assertion if ISIS et al reserved their brand of cruelty for the west, but these folks appear to be motivated by more than western exploitation.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited December 2016
    Jason P said:

Timothy mcveigh bombed an abortion clinic?

Timothy was not religiously motivated.

This discussion originally began a while back with some defending Islam- claiming Christianity was (in not so many words) just as bad.

McVeigh was an extremist right wing government conspiracy nut job and does qualify as a homegrown white terrorist.

Point taken, however, I'd like to ask is that all you got and how long ago was that? When McVeigh did his deed... I'm pretty sure nobody was pointing fingers at brown people trying to minimize his atrocity.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at in your last sentence, but there were a ton of people pointing fingers at brown people in the immediate aftermath of the OK bombing.
    http://fair.org/extra/the-oklahoma-city-bombing/

Here's a hypothetical....
    Christianity vs Islam....which religion do you think would spawn more extremists/terrorists if the Islamic countries became democratic, first-world, sovereign states, while propping up brutal dictators in Europe and North America?

Why bother with hypothetical questions when we are dealing with reality?

This isn't a hypothetical question ... why aren't all the South American countries that the US has been propping up with brutal dictators attacking in the name of religion?
    To prove a point.

Your second paragraph misses my point: that terrorism is only as religious as the politically aspiring leaders make it.

As for South American terrorism....most SA nations have been under the thumb of the US for well over 100 years. The countries that fought against US domination, for the most part, stopped doing so 20-40 years ago. In the 80's, there were more terror attacks in SA than the rest of the world combined. The 90s were not much better. Think of US military interventions in SA and when they happened. And sure...think of when the Cold War ended and support for leftist groups dried up.
    In the end it's all politics, with people in power finding the soft underbelly of its most vulnerable people and using it against them to die for their political cause. Religion is used in the Middle East. In SA, it was mostly ideology. In the 'west', its mostly nationalism.

Or, I could say....There are no religiously motivated terror attacks coming from those nations because the CIA doesn't need them to happen ;)
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Goodbye Europe. I enjoyed visiting you.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Allowing in immigrants and refugees (largely in response to a humanitarian crisis) and not trying assimilate people isn't being PC man.
    However, I do agree that many societies don't take the benefits of integration (not assimilation) seriously enough. Positive integration is absolutely necessary for immigration to be successful. Unfortunately, racists and and those who are simply close-minded (or look to assimilation rather than integration) make it extremely difficult for positive integration to happen.

There is the other side to it too, Soul.

Taking in large quantities of immigrants almost assures a country of accepting radicalized idiots he'll bent on seizing the entry to wreak havoc.
    No country is going out of its way to accept radicalized idiots, obviously. Countries actually tend to avoid them.
    But taking in large numbers too quickly certainly contributes to the failure of integration. That is part of what I said about societies not taking integration seriously enough. Immigration regulation needs to work towards that cause, positively, and taking in too many too quickly, outside of refugee crisis situations like the Syrian refugees Canada took in, which I think is great, is a factor. I also think that counties would benefit from focusing more on strategic locations for where immigrants settle. Immigrants flooding into just the major urban centers, and then building their own large segregated communities is very damaging to this idea of positive integration. All that said... NONE of it suggests that being PC is the problem, and none of it suggests that allowing immigration to happen is the problem. It just needs to be handled with more care and forethought than it generally is.

BTW, let us not forget that the problems that stem from this lack of integration lead to radicalization of native born Muslim radicals too. It's not like all terrorists or those who aid them or support them are immigrants, obviously.
    It sounds dangerous to bring in large groups of people into your country that will blow you up if they don't get their way. PC or not who cares. This is what is happening. The problem is that Muslim immigration is completely different than all previous immigration to the US.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    So Muslim immigrants in the US have been blowing us up?
  • London just had one. Been in the news for a bit, but not a peep. So, I guess it qualifies as a terrorist act nobody cares about (unless I missed something around here)?

This clip has the first released photo of the f**king idiot who perpetrated the violence. He's in a gurney and being rushed to the hospital after being shot by a cop. He killed 2 and injured 20. What's with the special care? After being shot by the officer... he should have been shot one more time from point blank and... see ya, shithead.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/first-picture-of-london-attack-suspect/ar-BByBBcX?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I agree Thirty Bills Unpaid, feeling very sad today.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thirty, I have family there just a few miles away. It was neither unnoticed by me nor emotionally-distanced.

Just haven't felt a connect to this place lately to propel commenting on what I normally would - for various reasons and some odd energies/words. Such divisiveness, it seems.

I dunno. Most inclinations to post are dimmed more and more due to the us vs. them stance - that mentality, and sometimes, the accompanying ugliness.

I thought we ARE us. Differences, scars, commonalities, culture, experience, all of it. That, to me, is what makes us US.

I do think we're on similar planes (trains, and automobiles?) of thought on our views of who carried out this horror. And how someone can just mow down people - will never get it. May get the anger behind it, but the action? Nope and nope.
  • hedonist said:

Thirty, I have family there just a few miles away. It was neither unnoticed by me nor emotionally-distanced.

Just haven't felt a connect to this place lately to propel commenting on what I normally would - for various reasons and some odd energies/words. Such divisiveness, it seems.

I dunno. Most inclinations to post are dimmed more and more due to the us vs. them stance - that mentality, and sometimes, the accompanying ugliness.

I thought we ARE us. Differences, scars, commonalities, culture, experience, all of it. That, to me, is what makes us US.

I do think we're on similar planes (trains, and automobiles?) of thought on our views of who carried out this horror. And how someone can just mow down people - will never get it. May get the anger behind it, but the action? Nope and nope.

It's different here these days for sure.

You need to start participating in the Porch thread: 'Weakest Link'. It helps me respect others more (valuing them for their musical tastes versus their political views).

Cheers, girl.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

It angers me about what is happening with Germany.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    "Asian"

unsung said:

It angers me about what is happening with Germany.
    What specifically?
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    open borders in the UK seem to be working well......
    I just talked to a gal from England who had just moved to Florida last year and she told me about the open borders
    and what a nightmare England has become since the borders opened up, I can't believe with all that has been happening
    in the areas with open borders that folks in the US still want open borders....it's really not a good idea.

open borders in the UK seem to be working well......
    I just talked to a gal from England who had just moved to Florida last year and she told me about the open borders
    and what a nightmare England has become since the borders opened up, I can't believe with all that has been happening
    in the areas with open borders that folks in the US still want open borders....it's really not a good idea.

No one I've heard from wants open borders in the US. Do you have a link to a politician promoting that?
    unsung said:

"Asian"

I saw he was UK born, so "European".
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

London just had one. Been in the news for a bit, but not a peep. So, I guess it qualifies as a terrorist act nobody cares about (unless I missed something around here)?

This clip has the first released photo of the f**king idiot who perpetrated the violence. He's in a gurney and being rushed to the hospital after being shot by a cop. He killed 2 and injured 20. What's with the special care? After being shot by the officer... he should have been shot one more time from point blank and... see ya, shithead.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/first-picture-of-london-attack-suspect/ar-BByBBcX?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

Absolutely, execute him without trial and miss the chance to interrogate him and at least attempt to get some information, that sounds smart!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:

London just had one. Been in the news for a bit, but not a peep. So, I guess it qualifies as a terrorist act nobody cares about (unless I missed something around here)?

Absolutely, execute him without trial and miss the chance to interrogate him and at least attempt to get some information, that sounds smart!
    Yes, exactly. And since police have an excellent track record of identifying the correct perpetrator in the heat of the moment, there's no chance an error could ever be made with that process.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    rgambs said:

But it feels better that he is dead, one terrorist less.
    And people wonder how North Korea exists.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It's disheartening that we are at the point when we're in favour of summary execution just because we "feel better" that someone is dead.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I don't want him to kill more innocent people.
    Annafalk said:

I don't want him to kill more innocent people.

You don't throw out due process because of fear. Pre-internet, I never knew there were so many advocates for a police state.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    A man was arrested after trying to drive into a crowd in Antwerp, Belgium

A man was arrested after he tried to drive into a crowd in Antwerp, Belgium at around 11 a.m. local time, according to police.

The driver was arrested and named as Mohamed R, born on May 8, 1977, of French nationality and domiciled in France, according to Belgian prosecutors.

People managed to jump out of the car's way and the military chased and stopped the car, the city's Mayor Bart de Wever said at a press briefing.

"The vehicle was travelling at high speed on the Meir [main shopping street], so people had to jump to the side," Antwerp police chief Serge Muyters said at the press briefing.

The driver, "a man of North African origin" who was wearing a "camouflage uniform," was arrested after a chase in the centre of the city, he said.

The driver attempted to flee when soldiers tried to intercept the vehicle but shortly afterwards Antwerp police rapid response team was able to intercept.

Different weapons were discovered in the trunk, including bladed weapons, a riot gun, and a can containing a product that has not yet been identified. The bomb squad is at the scene and additional police and military were deployed in the city.

Given the initial information gathered and taking into account what happened on Wednesday in London, it was decided to give the file to the federal prosecutor's office.

http://www.businessinsider.com/man-was-arrested-after-trying-to-drive-into-a-crowd-in-antwerp-2017-3
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2017

I feel like the London attack has had extensive international coverage. It is still dominating the news ..... It is clearly not an attack that nobody cares about. Those would be the attacks that don't really even get media coverage.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Up to 350 civilians dead in Mosul bombings in the last couple weeks.

Over 100 civilians killed in Aleppo last week, including bombings at a school and a mosque.

42 Somali refugees gunned down on a boat by the Saudis last week, using US supplied apaches.

But state sponsored terror doesn't count. Collateral damage.

It's disheartening that we are at the point when we're in favour of summary execution just because we "feel better" that someone is dead.

I'm sorry if I don't have any sympathy for a mass murdering terrorist.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Looks like Donald Trump, Jr, and Barak Obama both released statements about the London tragedy. One was classy, the other not so much. I'm sure it isn't hard to figure out which person said which statement.

One said: "You have to be kidding me?! Terror attacks are part of living in big city, says London Mayor Sadiq Khan"

The other said: ""My heart goes out to the victims and their families in London. No act of terror can shake the strength and resilience of our British ally."

One expressed sympathy and support, the other mischaracterized what London's mayor said and tried to goad him via Twitter. Trumps gotta Trump.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • rgambs said:

There not going to get any information that is going to thwart the next attack by the next f**king idiot from him. They'll get that information pouring through his social media and tracing all his other activities.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Annafalk said:

I'm sorry if I don't have any sympathy for a mass murdering terrorist.
    My take is that nobody expects you to have sympathy for a mass murdering terrorist. For most anti-death penalty folks, sympathy for the criminal has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbr said:

Looks like Donald Trump, Jr, and Barak Obama both released statements about the London tragedy. One was classy, the other not so much. I'm sure it isn't hard to figure out which person said which statement.

One said: "You have to be kidding me?! Terror attacks are part of living in big city, says London Mayor Sadiq Khan"

The other said: ""My heart goes out to the victims and their families in London. No act of terror can shake the strength and resilience of our British ally."

One expressed sympathy and support, the other mischaracterized what London's mayor said and tried to goad him via Twitter. Trumps gotta Trump.

Obama is still leading.