Boycott American goods - everyone outside the US

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

What really makes no sense is why you paid to be a Ten Club member if you aren't that into the band??? You can't post here without the membership so what was your motive for joining the fan club? Do you post in the other forums here or is your sole purpose for joining so you can post in AMT to dis the US and Pearl Jam?

You misunderstand me, I am not dissing the US itself, just their leader and his racist policies. Also, I never said I wasn't "into the band", all I said was I saw them live and in my opinion it wasn't very good.
    This was intended as a protest to a right wing government not a discussion on the merits of live shows -there are other sections in the forum for that.

Which show did you see? Just curious to check out a show that a fan thought wasn't very good. I'm sure PJ has had bad shows in their long career, just curious to see an example.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    unsung said:

Hopefully a few of these trade deals get eliminated and we can get some jobs back.

do you really think manufacturing jobs are coming back to the US?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    pjhawks said:

unsung said:

Hopefully a few of these trade deals get eliminated and we can get some jobs back.

I have serious doubts, but that would be awesome.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

unsung said:

As long as there are countries who will have cheap, child labor and ignore environmental regulations and we (the US) are willing to trade with them, there will be more manufacturing overseas than here.
    And at this point, with the debt we have to China, we could no way stop trade with them.
    edited February 2017
    mace1229 said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

unsung said:

As long as there are countries who will have cheap, child labor and ignore environmental regulations and we (the US) are willing to trade with them, there will be more manufacturing overseas than here.
    And at this point, with the debt we have to China, we could no way stop trade with them.
    Yeah, but it seems like Trump may make it so that US manufacturers will "enjoy" much more loose environmental and health regulations under Trump, and unions will be busted up at a rapid pace to lower wages and benefit and pension payouts for workers, so.....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

What really makes no sense is why you paid to be a Ten Club member if you aren't that into the band??? You can't post here without the membership so what was your motive for joining the fan club? Do you post in the other forums here or is your sole purpose for joining so you can post in AMT to dis the US and Pearl Jam?

You misunderstand me, I am not dissing the US itself, just their leader and his racist policies. Also, I never said I wasn't "into the band", all I said was I saw them live and in my opinion it wasn't very good.
    This was intended as a protest to a right wing government not a discussion on the merits of live shows -there are other sections in the forum for that.

Which show did you see? Just curious to check out a show that a fan thought wasn't very good. I'm sure PJ has had bad shows in their long career, just curious to see an example.
    We are in the "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion" thread. Please talk about the quality of shows elsewhere. I intended this to be a comment on American industry not cullture
    edited February 2017

PJ_Soul said:

We are in the "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion" thread. Please talk about the quality of shows elsewhere. I intended this to be a comment on American industry not cullture
    Why don't you just tell me which show it was? :confused: I just wanted to check it out.
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Why don't you just tell me which show it was? :confused: I just wanted to check it out.
    Yeah, you're right. If someone else says the show I was at was great, then I'm wrong. It's only my opinion. Again we are in the "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion" thread

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, you're right. If someone else says the show I was at was great, then I'm wrong. It's only my opinion. Again we are in the "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion" thread
    Okay, fair enough. Are you willing to PM it to me? I'm not one to deny that a PJ show sucks, if it sucks. I just haven't had a chance to learn what a bad PJ show sounds like (but I think Moline sucks as a boot, which I have received some backlash for, lol, so I get what you mean).
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Okay, fair enough. Are you willing to PM it to me? I'm not one to deny that a PJ show sucks, if it sucks. I just haven't had a chance to learn what a bad PJ show sounds like (but I think Moline sucks as a boot, which I have received some backlash for, lol, so I get what you mean).
    Hershey 03 was terrible! Moline is ok as a boot. I ve always thought the album shows are way overrated.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I so agree with you PJ_Soul, it's interesting that Philip_Ireland can't even deliver an answer.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I so agree with PJ_Soul, it's interesting that you can't even deliver an answer.
    I do find it odd that non pearl jam fans post on a pearl jam message board. very very weird.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited February 2017

So what was the beef with Uber? They helped people get to and from the airport?

Oh the humanity!

As a Trump opposer, I was (and am) disappointed in the Uber ban movement. It was reactionary and thought without consequence, which is the very thing we are opposed to with Trump and his words, actions, and policies.
    The New York taxi drivers union joined the immigration ban protests by going on an hour-long strike. During this hour, Uber - whose CEO is on Trump's economic advisory committee - stated they would suspend peak pricing and many took that as a sleight to the taxi union and as support of Trump's immigration ban. Lyft then pledged to donate $1million to the ACLU and everyone started deleting Uber and downloading and using Lyft.
    Uber's CEO has since spoke out against the executive order and stated they did not intend to break up the strike. They've also pledged to put $3million into a legal fund to help drivers affected by the ban and are offering immigration assistance to any affected employees.
    Did Lyft suspend its services? No. Are they just donating $1,000,000 because they see blood in the water around Uber? Yes.

Are we to the point that if you don't shut down your business it means that you are a supporter of whatever law someone else is protesting and are subject to a boycott? The taxi cab drivers decided to make a statement. That doesn't bind Uber to be required to follow their lead whether they support the law or not. This is a scary time. This is why the left scares me so much.
    pjhawks said:

unsung said:

There are a ton of manufacturing jobs here now. We just have so many unqualified people in this country that can't show up to work two days in a row or pass a drug test because they like Meth too much in the Midwest.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

pjhawks said:

unsung said:

There are a ton of manufacturing jobs here now. We just have so many unqualified people in this country that can't show up to work two days in a row or pass a drug test because they like Meth too much in the Midwest.
    That's an interesting assessment. So we have a bunch of unqualified meth heads killing our manufacturing production?
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

pjhawks said:

unsung said:

That's an interesting assessment. So we have a bunch of unqualified meth heads killing our manufacturing production?
    No, just saying there are a lot of job openings at manufacturing companies. They struggle finding qualified people. I talk with a lot of manufacturing companies and they all tell me they could hire 10 people right now but can't find them.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Oh the humanity!

As a Trump opposer, I was (and am) disappointed in the Uber ban movement. It was reactionary and thought without consequence, which is the very thing we are opposed to with Trump and his words, actions, and policies.
    The New York taxi drivers union joined the immigration ban protests by going on an hour-long strike. During this hour, Uber - whose CEO is on Trump's economic advisory committee - stated they would suspend peak pricing and many took that as a sleight to the taxi union and as support of Trump's immigration ban. Lyft then pledged to donate $1million to the ACLU and everyone started deleting Uber and downloading and using Lyft.
    Uber's CEO has since spoke out against the executive order and stated they did not intend to break up the strike. They've also pledged to put $3million into a legal fund to help drivers affected by the ban and are offering immigration assistance to any affected employees.
    Did Lyft suspend its services? No. Are they just donating $1,000,000 because they see blood in the water around Uber? Yes.

Are we to the point that if you don't shut down your business it means that you are a supporter of whatever law someone else is protesting and are subject to a boycott? The taxi cab drivers decided to make a statement. That doesn't bind Uber to be required to follow their lead whether they support the law or not. This is a scary time. This is why the left scares me so much.
    I wasn't fucking arguing with you, just answering your question. Jesus Christ.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Kalanick off trump advisory board.

Oh the humanity!

Sorry. Habit in this place.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Oh the humanity!

Sorry. Habit in this place.
    Indeed. Sorry for yelling back.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mace1229 said:

"What really makes no sense is why you paid to be a Ten Club member if you aren't that into the band??? You can't post here without the membership so what was your motive for joining the fan club? Do you post in the other forums here or is your sole purpose for joining so you can post in AMT to dis the US and Pearl Jam?"

Over the years there have been a handful of people who have paid to have access to these boards but only post in AMT. They are all clearly against all of the values that the members of Pearl Jam have publicly espoused.
    They have been racist, homophobic, anti-semitic,xenophobic, mysoginistic, white supremecists, etc etc.

Never understood the people who pay to be here and only post a rhetoric of fear, hate, and ignorance while clearly not being Pearl Jam fans.
    Is it your conclusion that someone is not a Pearl Jam fan if they don't agree with the majority of their political views? Otherwise how/why do you state they are clearly not fans?
    mcgruff10 said:

Annafalk said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I so agree with PJ_Soul, it's interesting that you can't even deliver an answer.
    I do find it odd that non pearl jam fans post on a pearl jam message board. very very weird.
    Even weirder is that they pay for the privilege
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited February 2017

pjhawks said:

unsung said:

You forgot heroin. You better get your shit straight... just kidding. :tongue:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    As long as I can still get my Kerry Gold butter from the green isle

As hard as it sounds, please stand up to this bullying by the US president- shop local, buy local, try only buy things made outside of the US

• Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 519
    edited February 2017
    It's already happening - good stuff. Tourism is huge - this will have a big impact. Get rid of this "Fanta faced facist"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/articles/trump-travel-ban-has-casts-a-shadow-over-us-tourism/
    Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    One of my coworkers cancelled a vacation to the US in the wake of the travel ban. She would not have been directly affected, as a non-Muslim Canadian, but said she would refuse to travel to the US while the policy stood.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited February 2017

One of my coworkers cancelled a vacation to the US in the wake of the travel ban. She would not have been directly affected, as a non-Muslim Canadian, but said she would refuse to travel to the US while the policy stood.
    Yes, exactly - this guys policies were meant to create "Jobs for Americans" Tourism is huge - a lot of jobs could be on the line because of this guys idiotic decisions.
    edited February 2017
    Annafalk said:

As hard as it sounds, please stand up to this bullying by the US president- shop local, buy local, try only buy things made outside of the US

Stop embarrassing yourself, Americans are friendly and cool people, I don't want to boycott them.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/articles/trump-travel-ban-has-casts-a-shadow-over-us-tourism/

Thankfully it's not just me Annafalk! There must be a lot of embarrassed people out there( But all the better for it).
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2017

Annafalk said:

Stop embarrassing yourself, Americans are friendly and cool people, I don't want to boycott them.

Thankfully it's not just me Annafalk! There must be a lot of embarrassed people out there( But all the better for it).
    Politicians must lead their country the way they think is best for their country. Anyone can boycott if they feel it doesn't rimes well with their beliefs it's ok. Once again I'm sorry I said you should stop embarrassing yourself, it was wrong of me.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

tbergs said:

pjhawks said:

unsung said:

No, just saying there are a lot of job openings at manufacturing companies. They struggle finding qualified people. I talk with a lot of manufacturing companies and they all tell me they could hire 10 people right now but can't find them.
    One of the many reasons that if manufacturing companies return they will be largely automated.
  • It's already happening - good stuff. Tourism is huge - this will have a big impact. Get rid of this "Fanta faced facist"

Was talked about at work. Some guy who visits New York alot choose London instead this time, and another was questioning her Florida trip this summer.

Did the tourism (from other countries) get affected during the W Bush years?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"