The terrorist attacks we don't care about

Comments

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Jason P said:

Two cruise missiles were fired at the USS Mason from off the coast of Yemen. Apparently the ships defense system was able to take them out. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to the media, but if they hit the ship we would be discussing declaration of war.

Yes. This was a few days ago. Why declaration of war?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    JC29856 said:

Jason P said:

Two cruise missiles were fired at the USS Mason from off the coast of Yemen. Apparently the ships defense system was able to take them out. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to the media, but if they hit the ship we would be discussing declaration of war.

Basing it on the response to Afghanisan after 9/11. If the US lost a destroyer and 380 souls, the call for action would be intense.
    Jason P said:

JC29856 said:

Jason P said:

Basing it on the response to Afghanisan after 9/11. If the US lost a destroyer and 380 souls, the call for action would be intense.
    The missiles were launched in a effort to fight terrorism.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    terrorist attacks we want more of this in the future (not)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    It looks like we are all starting to get accustomed to terrorist attacks in Europe now too. That is a bad sign for our future. Sacrificing lives in the name of political correctness.
  • ^^^
    There was a term that President Trump was insistent that should've been used.
    Radical, something terrorists.
    Fill in the something.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Internet Troll....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588

It looks like we are all starting to get accustomed to terrorist attacks in Europe now too. That is a bad sign for our future. Sacrificing lives in the name of political correctness.

How are lives being sacrificed in the name of political correctness?
    edited December 2016

A failure for those countries to protect their citizens. To allow illegal immigrants to be arrested multiple times and remain in the country to only kill a dozen people later. To allow entire neighborhoods in Brussels to be a breeding ground of terrorist. To allow migrants in without proper vetting to meet up with others to shoot up nightclubs and blow-up people in the street.

A failure for those countries to protect their citizens. To allow illegal immigrants to be arrested multiple times and remain in the country to only kill a dozen people later. To allow entire neighborhoods in Brussels to be a breeding ground of terrorist. To allow migrants in without proper vetting to meet up with others to shoot up nightclubs and blow-up people in the street.
    I'm not sure how the three situations you listed relate to PC. Maybe you're advocating for a larger police state. But to me that's not about being PC, that's about allowing for individual freedoms. Or maybe you're saying the issue is with immigration? But again, that's not a PC issue, since there's always been immigration. There's also always been terrorism, but I'm also thinking there hasn't been what you're calling "PC" to conveniently blame.

I'm not sure how the three situations you listed relate to PC. Maybe you're advocating for a larger police state. But to me that's not about being PC, that's about allowing for individual freedoms. Or maybe you're saying the issue is with immigration? But again, that's not a PC issue, since there's always been immigration. There's also always been terrorism, but I'm also thinking there hasn't been what you're calling "PC" to conveniently blame.
    The PC issue is Merkel allowing Europe to receive more Muslim immigrants than it can assimilate which is leading to more terrorism, crime and other issues when assimilation does not happen. It is PC because she doesn't want to admit that Europe has trouble assimilating Muslims and that would offend Muslims. While the vast majority of Muslims and all people are good people, you have to admit Europe is having significant problems right now. SO much so that it is helping far right leaders gain power.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited December 2016
    Allowing in immigrants and refugees (largely in response to a humanitarian crisis) and not trying assimilate people isn't being PC man.
    However, I do agree that many societies don't take the benefits of integration (not assimilation) seriously enough. Positive integration is absolutely necessary for immigration to be successful. Unfortunately, racists and and those who are simply close-minded (or look to assimilation rather than integration) make it extremely difficult for positive integration to happen.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Allowing in immigrants and refugees (largely in response to a humanitarian crisis) and not trying assimilate people isn't being PC man.
    However, I do agree that many societies don't take the benefits of integration (not assimilation) seriously enough. Positive integration is absolutely necessary for immigration to be successful. Unfortunately, racists and and those who are simply close-minded (or look to assimilation rather than integration) make it extremely difficult for positive integration to happen.

There is the other side to it too, Soul.

Taking in large quantities of immigrants almost assures a country of accepting radicalized idiots he'll bent on seizing the entry to wreak havoc.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    And for the radicalized idiots, i.e. White domestic terrorists, that are already here, are given different reasons for their motivations. Why don't we say that they need to "assimilate" better?
  • And for the radicalized idiots, i.e. White domestic terrorists, that are already here, are given different reasons for their motivations. Why don't we say that they need to "assimilate" better?

When you assert that domestic white terrorists are on par with radicalized Muslims... you discredit yourself. This discussion has already occurred a while back and I thought it was firmly established that 10 or so abortion clinic bombings over the last two decades doesn't hold a candle to the terror Muslim extremists are perpetrating.

And for the homegrown variety... there'll always be that blemish. It doesn't mean you say, "Oh f**k it. Let's just open up the gates and let what will be... be."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    just read in the winnipeg sun a jihadist married couple sent their 7 and 9 year old daughters into a police station and blew them up. the daughters knew (but probably didn't grasp) what they were doing. cops injured, but none died but the daughters.

that is seriously fucked up.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• just read in the winnipeg sun a jihadist married couple sent their 7 and 9 year old daughters into a police station and blew them up. the daughters knew (but probably didn't grasp) what they were doing. cops injured, but none died but the daughters.

Yup. Messed up. Brainwashed f**king idiots.

Shows you the extents of stupidity a human being can reach.

just read in the winnipeg sun a jihadist married couple sent their 7 and 9 year old daughters into a police station and blew them up. the daughters knew (but probably didn't grasp) what they were doing. cops injured, but none died but the daughters.

what kind of piece of shit blows up his own kids? blow yourself up, asshole!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• just read in the winnipeg sun a jihadist married couple sent their 7 and 9 year old daughters into a police station and blew them up. the daughters knew (but probably didn't grasp) what they were doing. cops injured, but none died but the daughters.

The kind of piece of shit that comes from a culture that often sees daughters as a burden more than a gift.

And for the radicalized idiots, i.e. White domestic terrorists, that are already here, are given different reasons for their motivations. Why don't we say that they need to "assimilate" better?

When you assert that domestic white terrorists are on par with radicalized Muslims... you discredit yourself. This discussion has already occurred a while back and I thought it was firmly established that 10 or so abortion clinic bombings over the last two decades doesn't hold a candle to the terror Muslim extremists are perpetrating.

And for the homegrown variety... there'll always be that blemish. It doesn't mean you say, "Oh f**k it. Let's just open up the gates and let what will be... be."
    Of course you're missing the point. Which is we come up with different reasons terrorists are terrorists when they're white vs. brown and a different religion.

The kind of piece of shit that comes from a culture that often sees daughters as a burden more than a gift.
    I don't think that's it. the chinese leave baby girls in trash bins. they don't attach bombs to their chests.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Timothy mcveigh bombed an abortion clinic?
    edited December 2016

was thinking the same thing but didnt bother posting... Teddy K the Unabomber
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Timothy mcveigh bombed an abortion clinic?

Timothy was not religiously motivated.

This discussion originally began a while back with some defending Islam- claiming Christianity was (in not so many words) just as bad.

McVeigh was an extremist right wing government conspiracy nut job and does qualify as a homegrown white terrorist.

Point taken, however, I'd like to ask is that all you got and how long ago was that? When McVeigh did his deed... I'm pretty sure nobody was pointing fingers at brown people trying to minimize his atrocity.
    A guy called Wade Michael Page

I don't think that's it. the chinese leave baby girls in trash bins. they don't attach bombs to their chests.
    I would think it's part of it. For these psychopaths... it might be like killing two birds with one stone: please Allah and unload themselves of their burden.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

This discussion originally began a while back with some defending Islam- claiming Christianity was (in not so many words) just as bad.

McVeigh was an extremist right wing government conspiracy nut job and does qualify as a homegrown white terrorist.

Point taken, however, I'd like to ask is that all you got and how long ago was that? When McVeigh did his deed... I'm pretty sure nobody was pointing fingers at brown people trying to minimize his atrocity.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at in your last sentence, but there were a ton of people pointing fingers at brown people in the immediate aftermath of the OK bombing.
    http://fair.org/extra/the-oklahoma-city-bombing/

Here's a hypothetical....
    Christianity vs Islam....which religion do you think would spawn more extremists/terrorists if the Islamic countries became democratic, first-world, sovereign states, while propping up brutal dictators in Europe and North America?

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at in your last sentence, but there were a ton of people pointing fingers at brown people in the immediate aftermath of the OK bombing.
    http://fair.org/extra/the-oklahoma-city-bombing/

Here's a hypothetical....
    Christianity vs Islam....which religion do you think would spawn more extremists/terrorists if the Islamic countries became democratic, first-world, sovereign states, while propping up brutal dictators in Europe and North America?

Why bother with hypothetical questions when we are dealing with reality?

This isn't a hypothetical question ... why aren't all the South American countries that the US has been propping up with brutal dictators attacking in the name of religion?
    edited December 2016
    Now that I think of it, all the countries that the US has fucked over in South America now have a significant amount of their immigrants in the US.

Why no suicide attacks? Strange ...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited December 2016

PJ_Soul said:

There is the other side to it too, Soul.

Taking in large quantities of immigrants almost assures a country of accepting radicalized idiots he'll bent on seizing the entry to wreak havoc.
    No country is going out of its way to accept radicalized idiots, obviously. Countries actually tend to avoid them.
    But taking in large numbers too quickly certainly contributes to the failure of integration. That is part of what I said about societies not taking integration seriously enough. Immigration regulation needs to work towards that cause, positively, and taking in too many too quickly, outside of refugee crisis situations like the Syrian refugees Canada took in, which I think is great, is a factor. I also think that counties would benefit from focusing more on strategic locations for where immigrants settle. Immigrants flooding into just the major urban centers, and then building their own large segregated communities is very damaging to this idea of positive integration. All that said... NONE of it suggests that being PC is the problem, and none of it suggests that allowing immigration to happen is the problem. It just needs to be handled with more care and forethought than it generally is.

BTW, let us not forget that the problems that stem from this lack of integration lead to radicalization of native born Muslim radicals too. It's not like all terrorists or those who aid them or support them are immigrants, obviously.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata