Happy Thanksgiving

Just remember, as you're sitting down to eat your turkey, tofurkey, whatever, that our Native Americans, the very group that enabled the first Thanksgiving w/ white man, are being tear-gassed, grenaded, and water hosed in freezing temps just attempting to protect their sacred land at Standing Rock, ND.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_583496a3e4b000af95ece35d/amp?client=safari

https://www.google.com/amp/mtstandard.com/news/state-and-regional/butte-men-witness-injury-at-standing-rock-dispute-official-account/article_cdcc50a0-c27f-504f-aa48-7511aa086d85.amp.html?client=safari

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Happy Thanksgiving to all. This is one fight a difficult fight I certainly hope they'll win. FIGHT THE POWER!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    g under p said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. This is one fight a difficult fight I certainly hope they'll win. FIGHT THE POWER!

Peace

Cheers, g!
  • Thank you for posting this; I logged in to do the same! Human rights abuses on our own soil, once again. Speaking of which, for my fellow Seattle dwellers, there is a Seattle Standing Rock group on facebook that lists legit organizations to donate tko for warm clothes, medicine and other necessary resources. Please help!
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Yes sir, happy thxsgiving to all my fellow AMT cohorts.
    I'm certainly thankful for being a white male living in America.
    It's all about the family.
  • Oh, almost forgot: there will be a candlelight vigil at Westlake Park in Seattle on December 2nd from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Please come, and bring a friend--and a candle.

Here is the link to donate for supplies to be sent to North Dakota: https://www.gofundme.com/seattle-standing-with-standing-rock
    JC29856 said:

Yes sir, happy thxsgiving to all my fellow AMT cohorts.
    I'm certainly thankful for being a white male living in America.
    It's all about the family.

At least you recognize how lucky white folks have it. Many white folks refuse to understand what it's like to be a minority and how suppressed they really are.

Stand w/ Standing Rock!!

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I've been following this on Democracy Now constantly. It's an absolute tragedy.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1897599003793638&id=1645816202305254

See video and BOYCOTT Sunoco.
    ADVISORY:

This Thanksgiving, on a day when millions of Americans are gathering with their families to honor the Indigenous people who helped the first European settlers survive their first winter, hundreds of water protectors from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe face another wave of brutality by Morton Country Sheriff’s department. The citizens of Standing Rock will go to honor their ancestors on their sovereign land, whose burial grounds have been desecrated by the illegal occupation and construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

This comes in the wake of continued violence perpetrated by Morton County police and Dakota Access’ private security forces when on Sunday, November 20th, 21 year old volunteer Sophia Wilansky, who was delivering water to the front lines, had her arm blown off by their concussion grenade. They also blasted hundreds of people who have traveled from around the world to support the efforts at Standing Rock with water cannons in sub-freezing, nighttime temperatures. Medics recorded 167 people suffered police-induced hypothermia. This incident has sparked international outcry and 500-1000 U.S. combat veterans, as well as members of the clergy and volunteer supporters, have come to Standing Rock to protect from these flagrant human rights violations by putting their bodies on the line.

Morton County Sheriff Kirchmeier continues to report false information and make unsubstantiated claims, calling unarmed Water Protectors “evil agitators” while his force is simultaneously attacking medics, media, women, youth, and elders who demonstrate near the drill site in peaceful prayer and ceremony.

Outrage across the country at these attacks have urged the Whitehouse and Department of Justice to intervene. This brutality must not be allowed to continue, especially on this day of giving thanks. That thanks should be directed towards celebrating the very Indigenous communities which, through struggles like this, have guaranteed the very water Americans are pouring at their dinner tables tonight.

#NoDAPL #WaterIsLife
  • Why isn't Obama doing anything???!!!

Why isn't Obama doing anything???!!!

That's the $1 million question.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Good question!! :angry:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Hoping PJ will organize a benefit concert. I've heard that Dave Matthews has; perhaps they'll participate
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

Good question!! :angry:
    maybe they were Hope and Change donors in 2008/2012.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD